X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Still trying to track down the rumor that VH's 1984 show at the old, demolished Buffalo Memorial Aud was recorded by the Sabres broadcast team "Largo" style but always leads to the brickwall in the Aud subbasement. It would be a rare ProShot 1984 show IIRC, if not the only complete one...
    Interesting.

And wasnt there a rumour that before Ed passed he and Al actually visited Noel Monk to view old CVH footage?

Monk by the way apparently has passed as well. RIP.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
      Monk by the way apparently has passed as well. RIP.
      Apparently but I can't find a date or cause or whatever. One report said it was in March but news only seemed to start to filter out a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard until you posted here.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.
        I doubt anything new and substantial is going to surface. Noel Monk was an intimidating motherfucker and him and his staff really patrolled the arena for people selling unauthorized merchandise and taking unauthorized footage. Video and film cameras were big in those days so anyone filming would be easy to spot.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          I doubt anything new and substantial is going to surface. Noel Monk was an intimidating motherfucker and him and his staff really patrolled the arena for people selling unauthorized merchandise and taking unauthorized footage. Video and film cameras were big in those days so anyone filming would be easy to spot.
          True. Guess I'm referring to some official recordings authorized by the band.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Apparently but I can't find a date or cause or whatever. One report said it was in March but news only seemed to start to filter out a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard until you posted here.
            I think it was Monk's facebook page that had some folks post RIP messages.
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I did notice that in the sale of his effects there was a 5 foot high safe so maybe that's where all the Van Halen live videos were kept.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

True. Guess I'm referring to some official recordings authorized by the band.
                Michael Anthony did say the band did film itself to help with the stage choreography. I’m sure there’s some unseen footage but probably not anything all that great. Nothing is going to top those Oakland shows.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I did notice that in the sale of his effects there was a 5 foot high safe so maybe that's where all the Van Halen live videos were kept.
                  Noel Monk was a gun enthusiast. It’s probably a gun safe. He said he was a pack rat though so there probably is some interesting stuff.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.
                    Supposedly the reason that they rushed out "Diver Down" - a short album that was half cover tunes- in 1982 is because WB pulled the plug on a live album from the Fair Warning tour at the last minute. The original plan was to put out a live album so they could take some time to write the next record. Even if WB rejected it, I would guess that somebody's got the masters for this record. Might be Al. Might be Warners. Could have been Noel Monk.... if it is him, I hope he had somebody trustworthy to take custody of such material in the event of his apparent death.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

There is a story that he had got divorced and fallen out with his daughter which is maybe why there weren't proper obituaries and announcements. The sale of stuff did look as though maybe best things had already been taken or held back.

Do managers not get gold and platinum disks?

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Sounds like everything ever to do with this band. A clusterfuck.

I have been told by a former employee of the band, former as in before 1985, that when those cameras came out on stage during the shows, they were nothing more than props. No film in them. Another one of Dave's ideas to get the crowd even more riled up. This is a guy I have known a long long time. A guy I trust. The only civillian I've ever seen that could waltz onto DLR's tour bus.

I am hoping for pro shot video as well as soundboard quality audio to come out somwhere down the line. I don't care if it is the US Festival, or Oakland, or whatever show.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                          Wonder when they wanted this thing to happen.

If Tommy Lee is really involved, the Crue tour ends in early September.

Satriani is touring the US mid-September through mid November, and then Europe from April to June 2023.

Supposedly Wolfgang is not happy about it:

I agree with Wolfgang.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                            Sounds like everything ever to do with this band. A clusterfuck.

I have been told by a former employee of the band, former as in before 1985, that when those cameras came out on stage during the shows, they were nothing more than props. No film in them. Another one of Dave's ideas to get the crowd even more riled up. This is a guy I have known a long long time. A guy I trust. The only civillian I've ever seen that could waltz onto DLR's tour bus.

I am hoping for pro shot video as well as soundboard quality audio to come out somwhere down the line. I don't care if it is the US Festival, or Oakland, or whatever show.
                            Van Failin.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

There is a story that he had got divorced and fallen out with his daughter which is maybe why there weren't proper obituaries and announcements. The sale of stuff did look as though maybe best things had already been taken or held back.

Do managers not get gold and platinum disks?
                              They probably kept things hush because they didn’t want to draw attention.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Noel had nothing to do with the music production so I doubt he would get wall hanger records. The producer probably got one.

Comment

Working...