Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I bet a lot of those comments come from the "they OWE us!" type of crowd from the Links. So, he's right, fuck 'em. And then another percentage of comments from people who haven't accomplished anything in their lives and want to tell WVH what to do. Kinda like Kristy.
    Ha! I get it but it’s lousy PR. You just don’t do it because it makes you look bad.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Is Kristy the new name for Karen? Ha! Ha!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Maybe Wolf will go full Metalocalypse on the audience and dump boiling hot gravy and cheese on them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hot fryer oil? Make pork rinds out of the audience?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I bet a lot of those comments come from the "they OWE us!" type of crowd from the Links. So, he's right, fuck 'em. And then another percentage of comments from people who haven't accomplished anything in their lives and want to tell WVH what to do. Kinda like Kristy.
    Well, Van Halen when they were active were the subject of "they OWE us!" sentiments as far back as 1996 and the fallout over the failure to tour with Dave and going with Cherone. The fans made their displeasure known with their dollars. Ed's basic response was one of that's life, Cherone is the singer, take it or leave it. Nobody would say it wasn't unreasonable in that Ed certainly had the right to take that approach. What would be unreasonable is to expect fans of the band to go along with whatever the band does: if you're in a rock band putting yourself out there publicly, you expose yourself to criticisms as well as compliments.

Lot of people wanted to see CVH reunite. All the Van Halens knew this.

I would agree that the old axiom of not being able to please everybody all the time applies.

I dunno. I'd agree with Nitro that it seems as silly for Wolfgang to have answered his detractors as it was for the online trolls to bait him. I mean, does anybody ever 'win' these online fights? Clearly, the trolls get under Wolfgang's skin. If he wasn't bothered in the least, he wouldn't engage in the back and forth.

Beyond all of that, I suppose it's a bit silly to even care if Wolfgang plays Van Halen tunes onstage or not. Like, if anything, the Hagar and Cherone years only made me appreciate the CVH era even more, so it's not like Wolfgang playing the material with Grohl or anyone else is going to 'damage the VH legacy' or whatever. Wolfgang can do whatever he wants. I gave the Mammoth stuff a fair listen. If it had appealed to me, I would have been fine with that and looked forward to more. It didn't, and I'm not.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    When you are an act your fans are your customers. Now unless you’ve lived under a rock we’ve all dealt with customers of some kind. They can piss you off sometimes or you might not be in the mood to deal with them. The thing is, if you took the filter off and told your customers what you really thought of them in the moment it’s not going to hurt them, it’s going to hurt you. It’s going to hurt your business or you are going to get fired.

You play the game. Seasoned professionals don’t swim in the drama. They make announcements and they stay enthusiastic and positive. Keep it positive and simple. Stay out of the dirt!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    People act totally different online than they do in real life. Trolls are people who take the piss out of people for their own entertainment or they take their frustrations out online. Some might be fucked up on something. You can behave very badly online because there are no consequences. Nobody can kick your ass through a screen.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

https://blabbermouth.net/news/wolfga...spa0ri2ADttOgM

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN Says VAN HALEN Camp Is Too 'Dysfunctional' To Make Tribute Concert Happen

Wolfgang Van Halen has once again weighed in on the proposed all-star VAN HALEN tribute project, saying he got "closure" by performing his late father's songs at the recent Taylor Hawkins tribute concerts.

No progress has been reported on a possible VAN HALEN tribute concert since April when the former METALLICA bassist revealed to The Palm Beach Post that he was approached by VAN HALEN drummer Alex Van Halen about six months earlier about playing bass for the project. Newsted told the Florida newspaper that he agreed to go to California to jam with Alex and legendary guitarist Joe Satriani and see if it felt right, but he eventually realized that it would be impossible to do justice to VAN HALEN's legacy. Three months later, Wolfgang told Rolling Stone magazine that the idea for the Eddie Van Halen tribute was ultimately nixed due to the personality clashes within VAN HALEN.

The son of Eddie Van Halen, who played three VAN HALEN songs — "On Fire", "Hot For Teacher" and "Panama" — over the course of two concerts in September alongside Dave Grohl on bass, Josh Freese on drums and THE DARKNESS's Justin Hawkins on vocals, told Classic Rock magazine that he was no longer actively interested in pursuing the idea of a standalone Eddie Van Halen tribute event. "I think I already did it with the Taylor Hawkins tributes," he explained. "I feel a lot of closure because my part of the show was a tribute to my father."

"When it comes to VAN HALEN and entities surrounding the band it's unfortunate, certainly compared to FOO FIGHTERS who have their shit together with interpersonal relationships," Wolfgang added.

"I don't know what it is with some bands but certain personalities just can't get over themselves to work collectively for one purpose. That's been the curse of VAN HALEN for its entire career. So my playing at the Taylor shows delivered that catharsis without the stresses of dealing with the VAN HALEN camp, and the players involved. Their camp is very dysfunctional — everyone! Hell, it was difficult to make plans even when the band was active."

When Classic Rock's Dave Ling asked Wolfgang about Hagar's recent comment that he would "love to play those songs again," Wolfgang said: "He said that, but he also said he wouldn't. Sammy said two different things. No… I feel that I've said my piece, and if the Taylor concerts are all that happens then I'm happy with that."

In June 2021, Wolfgang, who joined his father in VAN HALEN for the band's 2007 reunion tour with Roth, replacing Anthony, told SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" it would be "great" to eventually organize an Eddie Van Halen tribute show. "It's not in the immediate plans, 'cause that's a lot of moving parts that you've gotta corral to get that to happen. But I definitely think it should happen. Absolutely," he said.

Asked how he envisions the tribute concert taking place in terms of which musicians should be involved, Wolfgang said: "I have no idea. All I know is that the focus should a hundred percent be on Pop. While it could be a celebration of VAN HALEN and the band's history, I think more than anything, it should be focused on him… It's a tall ask and a big thing to figure out. But I do think it should happen at some point."

In November 2020, Wolfgang told Entertainment Tonight that proceeds from any tribute show in honor of his father would go toward Eddie's favorite charity, Mr. Holland's Opus, which helps underprivileged students access musical instruments. Proceeds from the debut solo single from Wolfgang's solo band MAMMOTH WVH, "Distance", are also benefiting Mr. Holland's Opus.

Eddie died in October 2020 at the age of 65. The legendary VAN HALEN guitarist passed away at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    It's refreshing to read about a Van Halen speaking the simple truth of crap that's not going to happen... Well played.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    It's refreshing to read about a Van Halen speaking the simple truth of crap that's not going to happen... Well played.
    Who cares what fatty has to say.

He will never know what its like to form a band from nothing to something and experience all the things that go along that journey.

11. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (10-03-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Band feuds/disfunction can even happen much later.

Wtf is going on with Heart??
    Nancy Wilson is going out with her own band and calling it "Nancy Wilson's Heart".

Really Nancy?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

So Fake Heart is touring with Fake Styx?? Yeah, that makes sense... in a weird way...

Apparently Ann had one fake lineup put together & Nancy had the other fake lineup that they used on their last tour, but they had a fight over which fake lineup to use, and Ann refused to tour with Nancy's band. At least it's not as ugly as their last fight, when Ann's husband beat the shit out of Nancy's kids. Took them a while to get over that one.

Meanwhile, Heart's original rhythm section, Steve Fossen & Mike Derosier are still performing as "Heart By Heart"... so now you have the possibility of three competing fake Hearts out there. Maybe Roger Fisher or Howard Leese can come up with a 4th version and really confuse the Hell out of everyone?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    So Fake Heart is touring with Fake Styx?? Yeah, that makes sense... in a weird way...

Apparently Ann had one fake lineup put together & Nancy had the other fake lineup that they used on their last tour, but they had a fight over which fake lineup to use, and Ann refused to tour with Nancy's band. At least it's not as ugly as their last fight, when Ann's husband beat the shit out of Nancy's kids. Took them a while to get over that one.

Meanwhile, Heart's original rhythm section, Steve Fossen & Mike Derosier are still performing as "Heart By Heart"... so now you have the possibility of three competing fake Hearts out there. Maybe Roger Fisher or Howard Leese can come up with a 4th version and really confuse the Hell out of everyone?
    Ha yeah its confusing. I didn't realize there was that much strife between the sisters. Interesting.

Yes, fake Heart opening for fake Styx.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    That Heart story...I couldn't help but chuckle at how absurd it is with the 3 different groups.

Had a similar reaction to Foreigner a decade or so back, when Mick Jones was the last member from back when the band recorded their hits in the 70's and early 80's. And whenever Jones is too ill to go onstage, the band go on and perform without him. When it gets to that point, it's basically Joe Blow And The Schmoes Play The Songs Of Foreigner.

But it's been the same type of thing with so many name acts for so long. As long as there's a dollar to be made, I guess.

Even though on the list of horribles whatever configuration of musicians trying to reconstitute Van Halen would barely matter to me, I'd rather Wolfgang play Van Halen tunes at a tribute show than see Roth, Hagar, Anthony, Alex and Wolfgang try and revive the band name for live performances. It was already a bit silly re: Van Halen III. Van Halen Mach 4 did about the best they could, but now that Eddie's gone just stop. Don't let it devolve into some absurd situation a la Heart, Ratt, Foreigner, Styx and the like.

But the draw and earning power of nostalgia is a powerful thing. By and large, audiences don't care about authenticity or original lineups or whatever. Long as whoever onstage is playing hit songs under the authentic, licensed band name.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Van Halen is dysfunctional. Yeah. We know.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would rather see Wolfgang fart in a tuba that see a Van Halen nostalgia tour with Sammy Hagar.

Thread Information