Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Anyways everything starts with attitude and if your attitude sucks nothing else matters. You are fucked.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I could get Wolf looking great in a year. That means getting him to a healthy target weight and body toning. The first two weeks will be hell but after that the body gets used to being worked, the stomach gets used to less food, new habits start to form. The best thing to get a fat guy burning fat and building muscle with minimum impact to the body is swimming. There’s two pools at his dads old property. No excuse Wolf. Get swimming!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx

Wolfie just played guitar On Fire and Hot For Teacher at Taylor Hawkins tribute show. Around 1h 10min mark I think.
        "Video is unavailable. Video is private."
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• MasonL
          Groupie
          • May 2022

Catching up on all the hoopla from the Hawkins show. I don’t know why anybody expected a tribute like that for Ed. Classic VH was never buddy buddies with the music industry and the popular artists. Dave doesn’t have many music friends at all, it seems. Both he and Al seem to just want to let Ed Rest In Peace. This Hawkins thing is something Hagar would love-a public opportunity to tell everybody how heartbroken he is and make outward displays of affection and get the credit of being a “class act.” Of course, I don’t see this kinda thing as classy at all

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Showbiz has gotten lame as fuck.
            It really has.

Especially rock band showbiz.

Whatever one thought of Elvis Presley overall, his early performances had that element of subversive danger. "Oh my God, he's shaking his hips! In front of teenage girls!!"

Or The Doors playing in Miami in 1969, with a drunken Morrison trying to incite a riot.

Or those early Sex Pistols gigs in London.

Or the Stones at Altamont.

Or those early Ramones gigs at CBGB's. Or the Seattle scene before the "grunge" media hype label was affixed. Bands and audience alike mixing it up in small venues.

Rock just became slowly corporatized, blandified and safe. No sense of danger. No sense of excitement. No sense of purpose other than everybody politely filing into a stadium and paying through the nose to participate in celebrity worship while the bands onstage churn out uninspired, notes-by-rote performances. THAT has been the case for 40 years: the only genre of music post-early 1980s that really consistently brought that sense of danger, excitement, creativity and urgency to the fore is rap music. Those 80's Satanic Metal bands were a lame joke. I mean, overall I prefer rock to rap, but I'm still gonna call it like I see it.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Silexxx
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

"Thank you for everything, Taylor.

That was for you, and for Pop ❤️"

Seems like Wolf had his tribute to Eddie.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There's a second Hawkins tribute in LA. Let's see if Wofgang plays something different.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                  https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/sta...og0l16Zwg&s=19

"Thank you for everything, Taylor.

That was for you, and for Pop ❤️"

Seems like Wolf had his tribute to Eddie.

Must be so nice to go through life not pay any doooooooos and thank your sugar daddy whenever you need a gig.

Comment

• MasonL
                    Groupie
                    • May 2022

Great points and we can see the difference within VH itself. Classic VH had that attitude, that sense of danger. They defied convention and brought a signature spirit. With Fagar, it quickly became safe music made for popular consumption. Whatever sells. Lowest common denominator. It was made for children. Beyond the tangible differences, it had no purity anymore. Because that's who Sam is: he's a businessman. Not an artist. He wears the label of an artist but he is not one of them. You can get away with that and sell a few million records but after a couple years the luster washes away. Compared to the Real Van Halen which has aged like fine wine.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                      There's a second Hawkins tribute in LA. Let's see if Wofgang plays something different.

I have to give it to Dave "Chronic Yellow Teeth" Grohl. He went to the bank on the death of Kurt so why stop that gravy train now? Maybe Roswell Records was about to go bankrupt from Dave putting out shitty album after shitty album for so many years. Either way, way to go, Dave. Nothing like exploiting the dead for personal profit is there?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        It really has.

Whatever one thought of Elvis Presley overall, his early performances had that element of subversive danger. "Oh my God, he's shaking his hips! In front of teenage girls!!"

Or The Doors playing in Miami in 1969, with a drunken Morrison trying to incite a riot.

Or those early Ramones gigs at CBGB's. Or the Seattle scene before the "grunge" media hype label was affixed. Bands and audience alike mixing it up in small venues.

Rock just became slowly corporatized, blandified and safe. No sense of danger. No sense of excitement. No sense of purpose other than everybody politely filing into a stadium and paying through the nose to participate in celebrity worship while the bands onstage churn out uninspired, notes-by-rote performances. THAT has been the case for 40 years: the only genre of music post-early 1980s that really consistently brought that sense of danger, excitement, creativity and urgency to the fore is rap music. Those 80's Satanic Metal bands were a lame joke. I mean, overall I prefer rock to rap, but I'm still gonna call it like I see it.
                        That last really cool thing that had any sort of vestige of rebellion was Billie Joe Armstrong melting down. I understand many here probably hate Green Day, but this is great:

Unfortunately he had to apologize and say he had addiction issues after and went in to rehab...
                        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-04-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't hate Green Day, but after growing up in the 80's and being told that Green Day is "punk"...yeah, right.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd say Green Day started out as "punk" but they went more towards "arena" rock when they started writing rock operas like "American Idiot". I liked that record myself, but I still think "Kerplunk" was the best album they ever did.

I saw Green Day live at the Evergreen State College and at the North Shore Surf Club in Olympia before they signed with Reprise records and had any sort of national presence. And I saw them again at the Tacoma Dome on the American Idiot tour. All great shows, but to be honest, I liked them better in the smaller venue.

Of course way back then, Billie Joe & Mike actually looked like the living embodiment of Bill & Ted....

WILD STALLYONS RULES!!!!
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Green Day = corporate punk for clueless suburbanites

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                                It really has.

What really killed music was the loss of locally owned radio stations. Every radio station had it’s own personality and the DJ’s were local celebrities themselves. A lot of bands got broke by these guys. The Police were nobodies in the states and they played a small club in Syracuse where they were seen by a Boston DJ there visiting family. They got massive airplay in Boston because of him and that broke them into the bigger music scene.

That’s gone. The more major clubs want you to pay them to play. Not even the mob who owned the clubs in the old days pulled that kind of shit. Also I don’t know if the younger generations are into bands like we were. Their thing is video games and we didn’t have smart phones. If you wanted to hang with people you physically had to go meet with them. Now it’s sit in the gaming chair and play games with your Buddy’s online.

They have a lot more options to cure boredom than we did. Yeah younger people have talent, they can play but without the radio stations and that dynamic rock as we knew it is gone.

Comment

Working...