X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Supposedly the reason that they rushed out "Diver Down" - a short album that was half cover tunes- in 1982 is because WB pulled the plug on a live album from the Fair Warning tour at the last minute. The original plan was to put out a live album so they could take some time to write the next record. Even if WB rejected it, I would guess that somebody's got the masters for this record. Might be Al. Might be Warners. Could have been Noel Monk.... if it is him, I hope he had somebody trustworthy to take custody of such material in the event of his apparent death.
    A live album after Fair Warning would make sense considering the photos used on the back cover live shots and the inner sleeve of Diver Down.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      I agree with Wolfgang.
      Seems Wolfgang Van Halen and Alex Van Halen may have differing opinions on whether there is Van Halen without EVH.

I wonder if Al even has access to 5150, or the "vault".

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        Seems Wolfgang Van Halen and Alex Van Halen may have differing opinions on whether there is Van Halen without EVH.

My understanding is that Al still has control over anything Van Halen related. As in the band and their music - which includes previous recordings or unreleased.

Wolf took over the EVH gear brand and thats it.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Well, Wolf owns 5150 and that happens to be where the vault is located. I'm not so sure Al could just waltz in there.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Well, Wolf owns 5150 and that happens to be where the vault is located. I'm not so sure Al could just waltz in there.
            Not really a vault. It’s a storage room with shelves on one wall and it’s full of tapes. You can access it from the studio, there isn’t even a door on it.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Who remodeled an existing building into 5150 was Drew Bertinelli. Ed playing music in the main house was driving Valerie nuts because she had to be at shoots early in the morning and Ed is a night owl. I had a chat with David Bertinelli and he told me some great stories about 5150. It was supposed to just be a practice space for Ed but Ed bought a bunch of used studio equipment and Donn Landee hooked it all up.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Well Wolfgang made his opinion public. I assume Wolfgang got the Cold Water Creek property where 5150 is located. Ed owned three adjoining lots. The property tax has to be killer. There’s the big house, a guest house, 5150 and another house.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                  My understanding is that Al still has control over anything Van Halen related. As in the band and their music - which includes previous recordings or unreleased.

Wolf took over the EVH gear brand and thats it.
                  Wolf got half of EVH Gear. Matt Bruck got the other half.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Not really a vault. It’s a storage room with shelves on one wall and it’s full of tapes. You can access it from the studio, there isn’t even a door on it.
                    Everybody has always called it a "vault". You know this.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I always thought there might be a single tribute concert at some point (like the Queen concert after Freddie died) but a tour definitely seems like a bit much. And yeah, if it happens at all, Sobolewski should be playing bass. If Al still has a problem with him, then I guess the rumors are true that the bad blood between Mikey & the band started when Ed & Al's mom passed away, and Mikey didn't contact them at all. Dave, Hagar, and Cherone all paid their respects, though none of them were in the band at the time, and Ed & Al took it very personally. That story certainly holds up better in the current context than the one about Eddie being mad about Mikey getting 1/4 of the publishing credits & royalties while not actually being involved in songwriting. Because Alex wouldn't have a leg to stand on in that case, as he didn't write much either.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...
                          Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it. Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it.
                            I agree and in no way would this really be Van Halen. But it might also be better than 90% of the shit out there...

Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.
                            I also wanted to see Ed and he was by far the best thing to watch/hear in 2015. But I sure as fuck would have stayed away if Hagar had been the sole singer. I wanted to hear CVH which Davie is essentially part of!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To me it's back to Roth solo I don't see the difference unless it's Michael Antony and Alex Van Halen, that would maybe make it Dave solo+

At least part of the problem is always that Ed has permission to change his own solos a bit live, he would stick to the theme sometimes he would play note for note but he can do that. Anyone else doesn't have that luxury definitely not if they are not an artist in their own right so Brian Young would feel he had to try and play as close to the album as possible. Maybe the audience would give Satriani some leeway it's difficult to judge also would he choose to use it? I liked what Jake E Lee used to do with Randy Rhoads stuff back in the day a lot but usually it doesn't work out well - you are damned if you do damned if you don't. If Satriani plays a set of CVH Eddie note for note then I'm not sure how that is any better than Brian Young or whoever doing a facsimile.
                                Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-29-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...