Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I'll say this: Alex Van Halen is a way better drummer than baldy butt Jason "Nepotism" Bonham. Not being that great of a Van Halen fan myself Alex always seemed to get the raw deal in his own musical talent being in Eddie's shadow. Eddie never would have sounded and/or played as good without him. Jason Bonham is a Ginger Baker wannabe hack with a lot of rich daddy money. He has nowhere near his father's talent. The fool here is him.

He's okay doing the Zeppelin stuff, I suppose, although no better than the drummer in that Zep tribute band Physical Graffiti I saw a few times in the late 1980s: Jason isn't any better than any other drummer I've ever heard essaying the Zep stuff...and the fact that he's Bonham's kid doesn't make him any more talented, just more marketable. On a technical level, John Bonham was far from the most difficult rock drummer, but he had great feel...very inventive with just hi-hat/snare/bass drum...and a good right foot.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh, PLU-EEEEZE. Phil Collins was a better wannabe Schleppy drummer than than Baldy Nepotism Boy. At least Phil tries to play like he's interested.

Recently read a book on Phil on his 80's decade reign and how Plagiarist Page wanted absolutely nothing to do with him but lost out on a last minute argument with Plant.
    Last edited by Kristy; 08-25-2022 at 03:12 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-25-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

Phil Collins sucks. Phil Collins has always sucked. Top 3 worst concerts I ever saw.

5. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (08-25-2022),Terry (08-25-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Phil Collins sucks. Phil Collins has always sucked. Top 3 worst concerts I ever saw.
    Pretty much sucks... the only stuff he produced I cared for was work he did in Brand X, a jazz fusion group back in 74-80. No singing... all instrumental compositions. John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass was beast back then.

One of my favorites is a tribute to Kristy call Born Ugly...

7. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (08-26-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!

And Page was most likely smacked up on "Keith Richards 1975" grade heroin, but that's beside the point.

That said though... I do have a slight grudging respect for Phil because he probably worked harder on Live Aid day than anybody, doing his own stuff and duets with Sting in London, then hopping a plane to Philly to play with Clapton & Zeppelin.
    Last edited by FORD; 08-25-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!

And Page was most likely smacked up on "Keith Richards 1975" grade heroin, but that's beside the point.
    And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh, PLU-EEEEZE. Phil Collins was a better wannabe Schleppy drummer than than Baldy Nepotism Boy. At least Phil tries to play like he's interested.

Recently read a book on Phil on his 80's decade reign and how Plagiarist Page wanted absolutely nothing to do with him but lost out on a last minute argument with Plant.
    C'mon. Jason Bonham isn't 100% terrible.

Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.

Plus, sometimes when he performs with the Led Zeppelin Experience his bass drumhead has the Led Zep IV logo his father picked out.

Plus, he played with Foreigner...in the 2000s.

Oh, he was also the drummer in that fictional band Steel Dragon...in that movie Rock Star...starring Marky Mark, along with that hack actress Jennifer Aniston from Friends...

Oh, wait! He formed a 'supergroup'...with Sammy Hagar...and Michael Anthony...and Vic Johnson...you know, from the Bus Boys? Remember them? From that Eddie Murphy movie 40 years ago? When Eddie Murphy was funny? Because, you know...remember? Like?

Yeah, pretty much fuck Jason Bonham, along with Phil Collins. Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.
    Last edited by Terry; 08-25-2022 at 07:34 PM.

11. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (08-25-2022),ZahZoo (08-26-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.
    Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??
    It was left off the dvd at the request of Plant, Page and Jones. I recall they flat-out said it was a substandard performance they didn't wish to have included on the dvd, and they opted to make a donation directly to whatever fund some of the dvd proceeds were going to.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

'Fixing their performances' a la their 2003 dvd release, or their dvd re-release of The Song Remains The Same maybe ten or so years back?

I mean, it's 2010, and here we have Page and Plant still fiddling around with The Song Remains The Same? Considering the original release was a spliced together composite of all those 1973 MSG shows to begin with - with upwards of a hundred or more 'edits' - how much more post-performance studio 'enhancement' does one need?

I'd take a shit Live Aid performance unedited over a 'live' gig comprised of studio fakery any day.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers...
    That was his name. According to the book, Plagiarist Page got into a an argument with Plant over Schleppy Live Aid stint saying he would not go on stage with Philip ever and that Thompson was a last minute decision to appease Plagiarist Page. The set was obviously not rehearsed. Plant won out due to Phil playing on Plant's fist two solo records and that Phil was one of the biggest artist in the world in 1985 with is latest album selling over 25 million.

Anyway, the book sucks

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.
    That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.

18. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-26-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.
    You know she never played on a Carpenter recorded due to their sexist producer who thought her playing was "weak" relying on a session drummer instead. She is indeed better than Phil and Jason combined.

20. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-26-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Pretty much sucks... the only stuff he produced I cared for was work he did in Brand X, a jazz fusion group back in 74-80. No singing... all instrumental compositions. John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass was beast back then.

One of my favorites is a tribute to Kristy call Born Ugly...

Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Thompson started out in rock bands:

Tony: I love funk, but my major influences were rock. The reason I play drums is people like Ringo and The Beatles, Mitch Mitchell and Jimi Hendrix, Ginger Baker and Cream. John Bonham and Led Zeppelin blew me away. I played rock in neighborhood bands. I always liked and listened to funk music, but I really got into it when I met Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, that makes sense, given his style of drumming on the Power Station album was pretty much a hybrid of rock & funk influences..

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!
    I saw him once and only once. I would have taken a bullet before going to see that lame fucker a second time, let alone a third.

25. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-26-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.
    Cobham is a great drummer but much more of a traditional jazz player with the exception of some of his work with Miles Davis...

27. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (08-26-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.
    I know. I was being ironical, like.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You know she never played on a Carpenter recorded due to their sexist producer who thought her playing was "weak" relying on a session drummer instead. She is indeed better than Phil and Jason combined.

You know, I actually DIDN'T know she had never played drums on a Carpenter record.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, that makes sense, given his style of drumming on the Power Station album was pretty much a hybrid of rock & funk influences..

I recall that's why Plant and Page had tapped Thompson for the Live Aid gig and rehearsal time post-Live Aid re: a possible Zep reunion with him on drums, that being the thunderous sound of Thompson's drums on record.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

That was always my go to album to test a stereo back in the day.

I believe Tony Thompson was well respected among drummers as being really good.

32. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-05-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

But she was weak from hunger...

34. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-09-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The guy at the back with the beard is carrying her...

36. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-09-2022)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wolfie just played guitar On Fire and Hot For Teacher at Taylor Hawkins tribute show. Around 1h 10min mark I think.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

didn't realize that was a live show in progress. Right now Joe Walsh is playing with a reunited James Gang. Guess I'll have to look for Wolfie when it replays.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

well there's one question answered...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    Wolfie just played guitar On Fire and Hot For Teacher at Taylor Hawkins tribute show. Around 1h 10min mark I think.
    A junkie overdoses and his former band mates cannot wait to exploit his death.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not a bad show though. They had what's left of Rush, followed by what's left of Queen (without Adam LAMEbert, thank Christ!) and 80 year old Paul McCartney singing Helter Skelter.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Guess Tom Petty and Jimi Hendrix were "busy"

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Probably watching the show with Taylor Hawkins... where ever they might all be at the present time.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, the replay's up and I saw Wolfie's part of the show. Kid sounded great. Eddie would have been proud. Maybe if this VH tribute concert ever happens, he actually can play lead guitar? Still wouldn't want to see a full tour with him standing in for his dad though.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not really sure what the point of any of this is, Taylor died having too much fun at 50 with 10s of millions in the bank - is there a message to be learned from that? Not really.

Wolf did a good job on Hot For Dinner Lady and On Fryer and I appreciate using the silly voice man to do a deep cut.

46. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-09-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Silly voice man also appeared later with What's Left of Queen. Certainly better than Adam LAMEbert. Justin always wanted to be Freddie Mercury. That's about as close as he'll ever get.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Definition of suck:

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    White trash unite:

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dunno if this is fat-shaming or not, but the primary thing running through my mind was that Wolfgang looks like he's 100+ lbs overweight. Like, even considering he has been overweight for quite some time, he looks like he has let himself go to the point where he appeared to have difficulty moving.

As to the guitar playing, not the worst I've ever heard somebody else play Ed's stuff...and not much beyond that. Same goes for the rest of the musicians onstage re: covering a Van Halen tune: it was alright. They looked like they were having fun, and that's good for them.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

White trash unite:
    I don't know what you are trying to say but I do know it's dogshit.

That said YYZ to 70 000 Foo Fighters fans in London on a Saturday night with a slightly rusty Alex Lifeson doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe in Rio...

52. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (09-03-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dunno if this is fat-shaming or not, but the primary thing running through my mind was that Wolfgang looks like he's 100+ lbs overweight. Like, even considering he has been overweight for quite some time, he looks like he has let himself go to the point where he appeared to have difficulty moving.
    He's not overweight he's just under tall. If he was 8 feet tall he would be slim.

Fuck the fat shaming thing, he is trying to work as a rock star and the job requisite for that is not fat as fuck.

I don't make the rules. It's also a shame that people with one leg are discriminated against in the world of professional golf but most of them are not self inflicted or multi millionaires already so boo fucking hoo.

54. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-03-2022)

Thread Information