Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

CNN+ Shutting Down After a Month

mediaite.com
    BREAKING: CNN+ Shutting Down After a Month
    ken-meyer

Warner Bros. Discovery is shutting down CNN+ just one month after its launch, Mediaite has learned.

The ambitious streaming service, conceived under former CNN president Jeff Zucker, was launched at the end of April with a massive marketing budget and a roster of high-profile hosts producing original content. Those hosts included Chris Wallace, who was poached from Fox News, as well as several other industry stars.

But reports that CNN+ was struggling to attract an audience dogged the service, which came under scrutiny from executives at Warner Bros. Discovery, the new parent company of CNN.

Despite CNN executives maintaining that the CNN+ launch was a success, the network suspended the service’s marketing spending and laid off its chief financial officer earlier this week. The New York Times first reported on Thursday that the service will completely cease operations on April 30. CNN confirmed the news with its own report shortly after.

“Chris Licht, the incoming president of CNN, called an all-hands meeting among CNN+ staffers for noon on Thursday to share the news,” the Times reported.

“I feel so badly for them,” a CNN insider told Mediaite, adding that CNN+ “had tons of potential” but “there were certainly some questionable programming decisions.”

“A lot of young talented people gave up good jobs to go there,” they said. “That’s the really sad part.”

Chris Licht, the incoming president of CNN, announced the news in a note to staff. He said that Andrew Morse, the head of CNN+, will be leaving the company.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they really wanted a USEFUL app, they would have included live streams of both CNN US and CNN International. The latter is still an actual news network, at least the last time I found a bootleg stream of it, it was.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Death to CNN.

You're next, NetSux
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

I wonder how long Stetler has to sit in makeup before he goes on air. That's a big melon to take the shine off of.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Death to CNN.

You're next, NetSux
    Netflix has been in decline since they let the entire Marvel franchise walk away from them. And they limit most of their other good shows to 5 seasons, with nothing to replace them when they're done. And of course with Disney Plus, Paramount, and HBO Max now covering all the same territory they used to, they're a victim of their own formula. They adapted before, considering they used to be a mail order DVD rental company. Maybe they can pull it off again? Or... they can go the way of their former rivals, Blockbuster.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I wonder how long Stetler has to sit in makeup before he goes on air. That's a big melon to take the shine off of.
    Maybe they use digital anti-glare filters on their cameras?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Netflix has been in decline since they let the entire Marvel franchise walk away from them. And they limit most of their other good shows to 5 seasons, with nothing to replace them when they're done. And of course with Disney Plus, Paramount, and HBO Max now covering all the same territory they used to, they're a victim of their own formula. They adapted before, considering they used to be a mail order DVD rental company. Maybe they can pull it off again? Or... they can go the way of their former rivals, Blockbuster.
    More competition and so on of course but their share price has fallen by 2/3rds since the vaccine started to be rolled out last year. I'm no investment expert but obviously the pandemic did some crazy stuff to their value and they will probably end up back close to where they started before it. They make lots of good stuff but they do seem to make weird decisions about cancellations and also just releasing stuff without mentioning it to anyone or promoting it in any way.

Someone like me who watches hardly any superhero stuff and can easily grab the odd very good thing that appears on Apple from a torrent is more likely to keep Netflix than anything else. It's a bit different here than the US I guess so eg Better Call Saul and Parks and Rec are Netflix.

It all needs to change anyway as the streaming thing can't go on as is. If you aren't going out during a pandemic then your average family may well stretch to a few different streamers but all those different $10 and $20 per month start to mount up especially now.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-21-2022 at 08:51 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think watching shows in general is down. I don’t watch them as much. People are doing other things instead.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think watching shows in general is down. I don’t watch them as much. People are doing other things instead.
    I don't know how people have time to keep up with all that shit. Everyone at work mentions shows that I have heard of but don't watch. I sit there and think "fucking go outside!" lol

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    NetSux has been garbage for years. You can blame their lack of quality production on COVID/pandemic but when all they have that seems worth the watch is Seinfeld reruns at @$16/month then you know they nothing to offer their subscribers. Even their cash cow Lamer Things has taken over 3 years to shoot when other series were filmed in 4 to 5 months only in restricted locations with actors and film crews who followed COVID safety protocol. Now Paramount is filming season three of Suckard just weeks after season 2. AppleTV+ or whatever it is is complete garbage I bet they are bleeding money. Jon Stewart is beyond the pale of boring. while Huloser ...can't say never watch Huloser but how NetSux retained a strange popularity for so long boggles the mind. So that really leaves HBO and Disney who are the most greedy fuckers on the planet. If they buy Warner Brothers they will have the rights to both the shitty Marvel and DC Universes and you in time they too will buy out NetSux upon which they will have monopolize the streaming market. Who is going to stop them?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It was so much easier when Hulu had the TV shows from damn near every channel... and you could watch it on Kodi without any ads. And that's when Hulu had a "free" version too.

Only reason I have Hulu now is because there was a "Black Friday" special so I could subscribe to it for $1/month for a full year. And they fixed the Kodi add-on so I can skip the ads again. Of course now, all the NBC content has moved to Peacock, all the CBS content has moved to Paramount + and some of their other former content got swallowed up by either Discovery or HBO Max. Thanks to the Disney-Fox merger of a few years ago, they still have all the ABC, Fox, and FX stuff on Hulu, so I can usually get my dollar's worth out of it every month, at least.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

If you have to worry about a dollar a month for anything then that is an extreme poverty I hope never affects anyone on here.

Post COVID though I found myself on $130 for the super fast TV/Broadband, $13 for something called NOW that gets me the HBO stuff, $14 for Netflix, $7 for Apple, $16 for the BBC and $10 for Amazon Prime.

That shit starts to mount up - $2200 a year. I've spent this week going through it and should be able to half that by shopping around. Still a fair amount of $. First to go next would be Apple because it's easy to just torrent the 1 or 2 shows. It's actually illegal not to pay the BBC one but I actually support that policy mad as it sounds but the conservatives are killing the BBC off by the end of this decade as they are fed up with journalists saying things they don't like.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-22-2022 at 08:39 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I don't know how people have time to keep up with all that shit. Everyone at work mentions shows that I have heard of but don't watch. I sit there and think "fucking go outside!" lol
    Exactly.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

That shit starts to mount up - $2200 a year.
    Ex-neighbor of mine had ordered all the sports packages - separately - like NFL, NBA, MLB with various streaming services. Think his bill was @$3,500/year. That ridiculous.

Thread Information