X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Could have been worse... loudest concert I ever went to was Bon Jovi in the Tacoma Dome in 1989. So loud it was distorted and I couldn't tell what song they were playing most of the time. Never was a big fan of the band, went with friends, and basically because the chicks would be there. For that reason, the show was much easier on the eyes than the ears.
    I saw them in an opening band slot in 1985, before Slippery When Wet came out, and wouldn't have believed it then if somebody had told me within a couple of years they would have been half as huge as they ended up being. But, Jon Bon Jovi was a good-looking guy. The little girls in the audience were squealing for Bon Jovi and Sambora even back in 1985 BEFORE Slippery When Wet came out.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      Roth, by contrast...I mean, I had seen him play in 2005 and 2006, and at both those gigs he wasn't exactly phoning it in but he was hardly...he couldn't have been accused of trying too hard at either of those shows, either, you know? The contrast between those two shows and what he did fronting Van Halen in 2007-2008...I've doubtless said it before, but Dave really upped his game. He wasn't treating the reunion like some half-assed victory lap with a guaranteed jackpot regardless: you could tell Roth had put in the preparation and was making the effort. Which is what you as a fan expect anyway, right?
      I may be wrong but at worst I'm only a bit wrong but to my knowledge that tour was the only time before or since he rehearsed for a few weeks properly with Van Halen or his solo band since at least the 90s...

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        I mean, Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick and Tommy Thayer are all technically proficient players, but all of them were a bit too polished to me...even Ace's mistakes still sounded great, you know? Like, those other three guys, you knew they were never gonna hit a bum note. Even though I've heard it a zillion times, when I listen to She off of Alive! and that solo bit at the end Ace does...Ace had that screw up quality where to this day I listen to him doing his sort of slow Chuck Berry bends up the neck and I STILL think he's gonna blow it! And then he starts speeding up the lick when he gets toward the top of the fretboard, and it's like you're just waiting for Ace to fuck it up...even though you've heard it a million times.
        David Lee Roth put it best. You don’t want things too perfect. You want your jeans faded with a few holes in them. You want the silver a little tarnished. There’s an art to making mistakes and Ace was a master at it.

Our daughter loves Ace Frehley. She discovered him on her own. She got me back listening to Ace stuff. But she said he’s just cool. Our daughter is a classically trained pianist by the way. She took years of lessons. She knows music but she loves ol’ tarnished Ace Frehley. She saw him open for Alice Cooper and loved it.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          Could have been worse... loudest concert I ever went to was Bon Jovi in the Tacoma Dome in 1989. So loud it was distorted and I couldn't tell what song they were playing most of the time. Never was a big fan of the band, went with friends, and basically because the chicks would be there. For that reason, the show was much easier on the eyes than the ears.
          Chick bands. I swear a Duran Duran show I was at smelled like wet pussy. I remember some security guy saying the seats were wet from the girls at a Beatles show in the 60’s. I thought he was exaggerating but maybe not. The venue was hot and tangy.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

The loudest I ever got was at a small venue in Savoy. Northern French death metal band called Loudblast nearly ruined my eardrums.

The riffs were cool, but I always find the vocals and mean attitudes fucking ridiculous, so I never listen to that kind of stuff,
            except Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss maybe once every three years.
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Chick bands. I swear a Duran Duran show I was at smelled like wet pussy. I remember some security guy saying the seats were wet from the girls at a Beatles show in the 60’s. I thought he was exaggerating but maybe not. The venue was hot and tangy.
              "hot and tangy"

Fantastic!
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                David Lee Roth put it best. You don’t want things too perfect. You want your jeans faded with a few holes in them. You want the silver a little tarnished. There’s an art to making mistakes and Ace was a master at it.

Our daughter loves Ace Frehley. She discovered him on her own. She got me back listening to Ace stuff. But she said he’s just cool. Our daughter is a classically trained pianist by the way. She took years of lessons. She knows music but she loves ol’ tarnished Ace Frehley. She saw him open for Alice Cooper and loved it.
                Its no secret - and its been said by Paul and Gene many times - that when Ace plugged in and played with the other three for the first time, KISS was finally born.

Such a unique player. Couple that with his makeup design and on stage persona - the epitome of cool. All of us wanted to be as cool as Ace when we were kids.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                  Agree..at least we still have Nerd Halen

Now does that kick the ever living Christ out of that Pearl Jam shit or what?

Comment

• Fairwrning
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

No..it does not

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                      No..it does not
                      Who asked you, hippie?