Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stone - Wolf & Ed

Wolfgang Van Halen on His Next Album, That Eddie Van Halen Tribute, Internet Hate, and Much More
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ibute-1383846/

Inside a Superfan's Secret Friendship With Eddie Van Halen
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...mails-1367678/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    There’s been a tremendous amount of confusion out there on this tribute thing.
    People love to pin every decision Van Halen has ever made on Dad. But Al’s the brain. Al has been the guy forever. He’s the dude. When it comes to Van Halen, Dad just wanted to play guitar. But, you know, Al’s mentality, and it’s the mentality that Van Halen took for the entirety of its band, is that there’s nothing worth talking about unless it’s happening. So the reason that nothing has been talked about from Van Halen, the official channels, is because nothing’s happened. And I know how that will stir people up and piss them off. But that’s how the operation is run.
    There in lies the core problem with Van Halen... plus why the fans get so pissed.

"Nothing worth talking about" leaves the door open for someone 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand near the band to mention something considered. Then the band clamming up and not talking about... but making fucking sure to let everyone know they aren't talking about it.

Simple truth would have solved and avoided 90% of the controversies and bullshit with this band and it's fans... Something official like... we considered doing this. We were unable to reach agreement with all the parties involved... so we decided to not do it. End of official statement. Fans go... bummer! Oh look a squirrel... off to something else.

Instead they fueled this never ending gossip, insider, speculative circus for decades and now they hate how frustrated their fan base has become..? Dipshits...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 5 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (07-18-2022),Never was (07-20-2022),Seshmeister (07-18-2022),Terry (07-18-2022),Von Halen (07-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    The Wolfgang interview I just skimmed to get through to the Van Halen stuff. I heard the Mammoth tracks that were posted here a few times a piece, just to give the stuff a fair listen. If any of it had grabbed me, I'd say so. I didn't listen to the stuff with any preconceptions. Personally, I listen to what I want and like what I want. Shit, I even like some of Rhianna's stuff. None of that Mammoth stuff gave me much of anything by way of reaction. Wasn't the worst stuff I'd ever heard, but not exceptional in any way. Probably won't even bother listening to any Mammoth stuff going forward unless it is posted here. Just doesn't do anything for me. To read Wolfgang saying that it was amazing those three tours and the one studio and one live album with Roth happened at all sort of mirrored my own take on that 2006-2015 period, where after sort of lamenting by 2015 that so little had transpired after the Mach 4 lineup having been together for nearly a decade, I thought my own take on it was wrong. That it was more amazing ANYTHING had happened AT ALL given the passage of time and personalities involved.

The second article re: Superfan was of far more interest. I think, if memory serves, that right around the point where Ed gave some interviews in...2015 (I think) really negating Mike Anthony's contributions to the band (and Sammy Hagar put out a brief clip that I saw on youtube sticking up for Mike Anthony), Ed also gave a print interview in which he stated that Dave didn't want to be friendly with him and he and Dave really had nothing in common musically because Dave mostly liked dance music. Those comments were echoed in that longtime email exchange between Eddie and the Superfan. What was surprising in the email exchange was to read Eddie totally admitting that Roth's voice by 2015 was shot along with Ed saying by the time 2015 rolled around that Dave had virtually no interaction with any of the Van Halens offstage to speak of. Seemingly, it was just a business relationship by that last tour. Even realizing these guys had hardly been lifelong buddy buddies by the time the last tour took place, the type of relationship Roth had with the Van Halens just seemed hollow and sad. Whatever. Guess that's the way it was.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wolf apparently inherited all the insecurities of his dad unfortunately.

And he's totally contradicting himself. At first he was super pissed that there was talk of a Van Halen tribute tour.

And now he's insinuating that its Dave that is holding it up from happening.

??
    Wtf.

Wolf seriously needs to just STFU about his dad's old band. They are no more.

He's a spoiled millionaire brat. Weighs 300 pounds and has a nice girlfriend. All that doesn't happen without his dad's band making it in the first place.

6. 3 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (07-18-2022),Terry (07-18-2022),Von Halen (07-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    There in lies the core problem with Van Halen... plus why the fans get so pissed.

"Nothing worth talking about" leaves the door open for someone 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand near the band to mention something considered. Then the band clamming up and not talking about... but making fucking sure to let everyone know they aren't talking about it.

Simple truth would have solved and avoided 90% of the controversies and bullshit with this band and it's fans... Something official like... we considered doing this. We were unable to reach agreement with all the parties involved... so we decided to not do it. End of official statement. Fans go... bummer! Oh look a squirrel... off to something else.

Instead they fueled this never ending gossip, insider, speculative circus for decades and now they hate how frustrated their fan base has become..? Dipshits...
    Well, I will say at least Wolfgang has some sense of awareness as to how the years of silence were maddening for the fans.

After Cherone left, 'Van Halen' ceased to even be a functional band in the traditional sense for me. Whenever they actually did do something publicly post-2000, more and more it took on the aspect of a temporary business arrangement. A professional rock band obviously is, in part, a business arrangement. After ADKOT was released, though, THAT was the final...what? The final removal of the last yearning I had that Roth returning in 2006 would at least end up inspiring the band on the creative front. That the band had regrouped with Roth for as long as they had by that point and had 3 + years between the end of the 2008 leg of the first reunion tour and the release of ADKOT...and to have so much of the album comprised of reworked old demos...whatever the reasons for that ADKOT approach were, it was clear that Van Halen Mach 4 was dead creatively. To toss out a live album in such a slapdash manner subsequent to ADKOT ('hey, here's a live recording of a recent show nobody asked for...there you go!') just nailed the point home in that Van Halen had nothing new to say.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

That's why when all that 2018 full-on CVH reunion talk started heating up, I couldn't even get the least bit excited about it. A combination of thinking a 2019 CVH reunion was at least 10 (if not 20) years too late to be worth hearing and all the years post-1999 speculating in the wake of Van Halen's silence what could be going on behind the scenes vs. what the band actually ended up doing the last 20 years of their existence.

I knew in 2018 that there wasn't going to be a CVH reunion in 2019, and not because I knew anything about Eddie's health.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Wolf apparently inherited all the insecurities of his dad unfortunately.

And he's totally contradicting himself. At first he was super pissed that there was talk of a Van Halen tribute tour.

And now he's insinuating that its Dave that is holding it up from happening.

??
    Wtf.

Wolf seriously needs to just STFU about his dad's old band. They are no more.

He's a spoiled millionaire brat. Weighs 300 pounds and has a nice girlfriend. All that doesn't happen without his dad's band making it in the first place.
    Well, a lot of these children of famous musicians who end up becoming musicians themselves...it might be understandable that they could to a degree take it for granted the only reason they get attention from the industry is because of their last names, particularly if they're born after their famous parent has already become famous. I mean, it's the only life they have ever known.

If you look at the total of the Rolling Stone interview, more than half of it doesn't directly concern itself with Van Halen. Realistically, Wolfgang (much like Ziggy Marley, Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Zakk Starkey, etc.) is going to be asked about his father and Van Halen for the rest of his professional life. Maybe even more frequently than the other kids of famous musicians I mentioned because Wolfgang's first professional musical endeavor was playing bass in his father's band.

I wouldn't argue for a moment that the kid wasn't born on third base, but that's no fault of his own. I don't have any use for his music, but in terms of celebrity children acting spoiled Wolfgang doesn't seem especially egregious.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wolf is also a mommy's boy.

Probably believes everything Val says.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    What was surprising in the email exchange was to read Eddie totally admitting that Roth's voice by 2015 was shot along with Ed saying by the time 2015 rolled around that Dave had virtually no interaction with any of the Van Halens offstage to speak of. Seemingly, it was just a business relationship by that last tour.
    It was common knowledge that there was no offstage interaction. We knew Dave had his own bus.

If offstage includes pre-show, we knew Dave didn't do many soundchecks.

If you believe that Val was checking the newsgroups and forums, then that makes sense.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    It was common knowledge that there was no offstage interaction. We knew Dave had his own bus.

If offstage includes pre-show, we knew Dave didn't do many soundchecks.

I can't remember now if I was aware then of what was going on offstage in 2015.

I suppose it wasn't THAT surprising in retrospect.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Any surprise that there's drama with this band even though there is no band and Ed's been dead almost two years? This has the typical "It's Dave's fault!" stench to it. Ed made his bed with Dave back in '07 and kept making it all the way to 2015, so his bitching to super fan rings hollow to me. It's not like Dave wasn't a known quantity. Ed didn't like Dave or like hanging around with him for pretty much the entirety of the band so why is he complaining about Dave never being around when they weren't touring? I don't know. It almost seems like Ed was resentful on some level that his musical lot in life was tied to Dave from '07 on and he was stuck with a guy who he didn't particularly like and who couldn't sing, according to him. I personally think Dave got lazy after the 07-08 tour as he sang his ass off on that tour. Yeah, 8 years of smoking and what not didn't help from 07-15, but I don't think Dave did the prep work in '12 and '15 that he did in '07. We've talked about that here before in that Dave's vocal choices, like the random pitchy yelps, were things he could control but chose not to. I think he could've been effective if he'd done the prep work and just stayed within himself.

I don't see Dave ever sharing the stage with the likes of Hagar or Cherone as I believe he sees/saw them as interlopers just holding his beer until he returned to the fold. Hell, he wouldn't even share the stage in '02 with Hagar when neither of them were even in Van Halen! Just seems like a recurring pattern of blaming Dave while sweeping Ed's (and Al's) culpability under the rug.
    Last edited by chuckjitsu; 07-18-2022 at 06:43 PM.

14. 2 users say thank you to chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-18-2022),Vinnie Velvet (07-19-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I read the 'superfan' thing when it first came out and i think it was probably truthful but it was Ed's truth, what he thought or what he chose to think. The fact the guy was a Hagar fan immediately tempered it and that's probably why it wasn't even posted here.

Just because it's what Ed thought that doesn't make it completely accurate. Ed just wasn't that sophisticated a guy and spent most of his life at least a little drunk. The account shows that he still never got the fact that if your singer is taking his influences from elsewhere then when you mimic an ACDC riff and he writes a different melody over it than they would that's what makes you different and special. Also even if Roth hated hard rock it didn't stop him from spending pretty much all of the rest of his career creating it.

He also conveniently misses out that Roth carried his drunken ass and miming child son through the first reunion tour.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-18-2022 at 08:45 PM.

16. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022),Vinnie Velvet (07-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Any surprise that there's drama with this band even though there is no band and Ed's been dead almost two years? This has the typical "It's Dave's fault!" stench to it. Ed made his bed with Dave back in '07 and kept making it all the way to 2015, so his bitching to super fan rings hollow to me. It's not like Dave wasn't a known quantity. Ed didn't like Dave or like hanging around with him for pretty much the entirety of the band so why is he complaining about Dave never being around when they weren't touring? I don't know. It almost seems like Ed was resentful on some level that his musical lot in life was tied to Dave from '07 on and he was stuck with a guy who he didn't particularly like and who couldn't sing, according to him. I personally think Dave got lazy after the 07-08 tour as he sang his ass off on that tour. Yeah, 8 years of smoking and what not didn't help from 07-15, but I don't think Dave did the prep work in '12 and '15 that he did in '07. We've talked about that here before in that Dave's vocal choices, like the random pitchy yelps, were things he could control but chose not to. I think he could've been effective if he'd done the prep work and just stayed within himself.

I don't see Dave ever sharing the stage with the likes of Hagar or Cherone as I believe he sees/saw them as interlopers just holding his beer until he returned to the fold. Hell, he wouldn't even share the stage in '02 with Hagar when neither of them were even in Van Halen! Just seems like a recurring pattern of blaming Dave while sweeping Ed's (and Al's) culpability under the rug.
    I kinda got that same feeling during the 2006-2015 period...that the Van Halens had by then basically resigned themselves to giving the people what they wanted, which was Dave back onstage with the band. After Cherone and after the reunion tour with Hagar, there really was nobody else left the band COULD go with if they wanted to tour and perform in front of sizable crowds. Hand in hand with giving the people what they wanted was playing setlists of virtually nothing but CVH material. The band ended up being what Eddie and Alex had infamously resisted in 1996, which was a nostalgia band.

I never thought the 2019 'Kitchen Sink' tour would happen because Dave basically approached the band with the notion that the time he spent in it was the only time that mattered. In that spirit, he wasn't going to share vocal duties with Hagar or Cherone.

18. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (07-18-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I read the 'superfan' thing when it first came out and i think it was probably truthful but it was Ed's truth, what he thought or what he chose to think. The fact the guy was a Hagar fan immediately tempered it and that's probably why it wasn't even posted here.

Just because it's what Ed thought that doesn't make it completely accurate. Ed just wasn't that sophisticated a guy and spent most of his life at least a little drunk. The account shows that he still never got the fact that if your singer is taking his influences from elsewhere then when you mimic an ACDC riff and he writes a different melody over it than they would that's what makes you different and special. Also even if Roth hated hard rock it didn't stop him from spending pretty much all of the rest of his career creating it.

He also conveniently misses out that Roth carried his drunken ass and miming child son through the first reunion tour.
    Yeah, it was all Ed's perception of it, to be sure. Only one perspective obviously isn't the entire story.

It was kinda saddening in the later years when Ed became so publicly dismissive of what Mike Anthony had brought to the table, and kinda saddening to hear that attitude had been there going way back when. Ed was sort of dismissive to what Dave had brought to the party too. [Ed] kinda came across at times as feeling that the band made it in spite of Roth, or that Ed could never quite understand why so many fans held what Roth brought to the band in seemingly higher regard than Eddie did.

And, yeah, Dave DID carry that fucking band through that first reunion tour. Nobody should make any mistake about that. Carried 'em through that first reunion tour more ably than I thought [Roth] was capable of in the years running up to it, if I'm being frank about it.

20. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (07-18-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it was all Ed's perception of it, to be sure. Only one perspective obviously isn't the entire story.

It was kinda saddening in the later years when Ed became so publicly dismissive of what Mike Anthony had brought to the table, and kinda saddening to hear that attitude had been there going way back when. Ed was sort of dismissive to what Dave had brought to the party too. [Ed] kinda came across at times as feeling that the band made it in spite of Roth, or that Ed could never quite understand why so many fans held what Roth brought to the band in seemingly higher regard than Eddie did.

And, yeah, Dave DID carry that fucking band through that first reunion tour. Nobody should make any mistake about that. Carried 'em through that first reunion tour more ably than I thought [Roth] was capable of in the years running up to it, if I'm being frank about it.
    I think Eddie would have quit the band early on if his brother wasn’t in it. Ed wanted to quit Van Halen in the early 80’s and Alex said it’s working, let’s stick with it. It’s pretty clear Ed’s relationship with Dave was a business one. There was no real friendship there.

Mike was always viewed as expendable by the Van Halen’s. If your last name isn’t Van Halen you are not part of the family and nepotism seems to be a big factor in the band’s dynamic.

22. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wolfgang’s public relations skills have much to be desired. He trolls the fan base on Twitter and that’s a stupid thing to do. I get losing his dad was a tragedy but the guy doesn’t seem that happy actually. He did mention he was diagnosed with clinical anxiety and he said he sleeps a lot. He obviously eats a lot. For me his music does nothing for me. He did a good job playing bass and singing background vocals in Van Halen.

I liked classic Van Halen. The band’s constant drama got old. I did not care for post 1984 Van Halen. It really became a lame cheese show with Sammy and a retarded soap opera once the love fest started to show strains in the relationship.

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If one of Alex’s kids could sing there would be no non-Van Halen’s allowed in that band but with Ed gone, it’s over. We will see how long Wolfie’s musical career lasts.

26. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I kinda got that same feeling during the 2006-2015 period...that the Van Halens had by then basically resigned themselves to giving the people what they wanted, which was Dave back onstage with the band. After Cherone and after the reunion tour with Hagar, there really was nobody else left the band COULD go with if they wanted to tour and perform in front of sizable crowds. Hand in hand with giving the people what they wanted was playing setlists of virtually nothing but CVH material. The band ended up being what Eddie and Alex had infamously resisted in 1996, which was a nostalgia band.

I never thought the 2019 'Kitchen Sink' tour would happen because Dave basically approached the band with the notion that the time he spent in it was the only time that mattered. In that spirit, he wasn't going to share vocal duties with Hagar or Cherone.
    Valerie said Ed was pretty much retired from the road. He was done with touring. Wolfgang said due to his Dad’s substance abuse an intervention was done and it was decided Ed needed to start performing again and he would only go out if Wolfgang was in the band. I get the impression Ed had nobody solid in his life until Jani came into it. She seems like a very positive and disciplined person. Valerie is flaky. Wolfgang has issues. Ed and Alex get into fist fights with each other even as adults. I think the reality is, Ed never had an adult in his life until he and Jani had a relationship. Whatever went on there it was good for Ed and we saw the man come back. I liked the happy guy with the short grey hair and dog. He even started to play guitar great again. Hey. Ed Van Halen went out on top. Sad to see him go but it would be even sadder if he died a broken down wreck. Ed went out swinging.

28. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

He can be a real brat to her. She was cooking onion rings and Wolf was being a cocky jerk to her. My mom would have clocked me. Val wasn’t liking it but Wolf is too precious to discipline plus he’s like 30 and acts like a kid still.

30. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Wolfgang interview I just skimmed to get through to the Van Halen stuff. I heard the Mammoth tracks that were posted here a few times a piece, just to give the stuff a fair listen. If any of it had grabbed me, I'd say so. I didn't listen to the stuff with any preconceptions. Personally, I listen to what I want and like what I want. Shit, I even like some of Rhianna's stuff. None of that Mammoth stuff gave me much of anything by way of reaction. Wasn't the worst stuff I'd ever heard, but not exceptional in any way. Probably won't even bother listening to any Mammoth stuff going forward unless it is posted here. Just doesn't do anything for me. To read Wolfgang saying that it was amazing those three tours and the one studio and one live album with Roth happened at all sort of mirrored my own take on that 2006-2015 period, where after sort of lamenting by 2015 that so little had transpired after the Mach 4 lineup having been together for nearly a decade, I thought my own take on it was wrong. That it was more amazing ANYTHING had happened AT ALL given the passage of time and personalities involved.

The second article re: Superfan was of far more interest. I think, if memory serves, that right around the point where Ed gave some interviews in...2015 (I think) really negating Mike Anthony's contributions to the band (and Sammy Hagar put out a brief clip that I saw on youtube sticking up for Mike Anthony), Ed also gave a print interview in which he stated that Dave didn't want to be friendly with him and he and Dave really had nothing in common musically because Dave mostly liked dance music. Those comments were echoed in that longtime email exchange between Eddie and the Superfan. What was surprising in the email exchange was to read Eddie totally admitting that Roth's voice by 2015 was shot along with Ed saying by the time 2015 rolled around that Dave had virtually no interaction with any of the Van Halens offstage to speak of. Seemingly, it was just a business relationship by that last tour. Even realizing these guys had hardly been lifelong buddy buddies by the time the last tour took place, the type of relationship Roth had with the Van Halens just seemed hollow and sad. Whatever. Guess that's the way it was.
    Eddie Van Halen was cool. He just had the magic. Wolfgang is lame as fuck. Yeah he has some musical aptitude but he has no charisma. He’s like a wet rag and about as exciting as a insurance seminar.

32. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022),Von Halen (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    David Lee Roth is like Satan. He gets blamed for everything.

34. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave once joked that Van Halen was like your favorite Chinese restaurant. Just enjoy it and you don’t want to go back in the kitchen because you don’t want to see what’s really going on behind the scenes.

36. 3 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (07-19-2022),Terry (07-19-2022),Von Halen (07-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Valerie said Ed was pretty much retired from the road. He was done with touring. Wolfgang said due to his Dad’s substance abuse an intervention was done and it was decided Ed needed to start performing again and he would only go out if Wolfgang was in the band. I get the impression Ed had nobody solid in his life until Jani came into it. She seems like a very positive and disciplined person. Valerie is flaky. Wolfgang has issues. Ed and Alex get into fist fights with each other even as adults. I think the reality is, Ed never had an adult in his life until he and Jani had a relationship. Whatever went on there it was good for Ed and we saw the man come back. I liked the happy guy with the short grey hair and dog. He even started to play guitar great again. Hey. Ed Van Halen went out on top. Sad to see him go but it would be even sadder if he died a broken down wreck. Ed went out swinging.
    It might come across as lame to say this or whatever, but Van Halen were the shit for me back in the day. Hearing Van Halen wasn't the sole reason I took up the guitar, but for the first few years of playing Eddie was a primary influence. This is back in 1981 or so. I was 11 or 12 years old, thereabouts. And, yeah, part of me had a snarky attitude toward Eddie after the 1996 fling with Dave didn't culminate in anything beyond the two BOV1 tracks. Mostly because it seemed like Ed was frittering away his talent. Van Halen were such a positive experience to listen to back in the day. Back when I was young and impressionable and still idolized rock stars. So, a lot of the snark I had toward what Ed had had devolved to in the post-Cherone/pre-2007 Roth reunion period was masking a disappointment on my part.

I didn't want Ed to basically give up, hide his talent away and retreat into seclusion. None of that represented the best of what Eddie was to me back in the day. I didn't want Eddie to embark on a half-hearted reunion tour with Sammy Hagar and hear clips of him fumble fingering his way through Van Hagar tunes. I didn't want to see Ed wanking on his Trans-Trem Sustainer for a porn movie. I didn't want to see Eddie walking around looking like an extra in a zombie movie. I didn't want to see him befuddled at a NAMM show, unable to play licks he had been able to execute with ease less than a decade earlier. Fuck, whatever I felt about the Cherone years, at least Eddie was still able to PLAY, you know? It seemed like Eddie was in free fall. Even when that publicity photo of Ed, Al, Dave and Wolfie was released online in late 2006/early 2007, Eddie still looked a bit fucked up in that photo. As much as I in 2007 was still tantalized by the prospect of Dave rejoining the group as I had been in 1996, I didn't want THAT to happen if Eddie was still in free fall.

It certainly appeared that those last three Roth tours at the very least gave Eddie a reason to get himself straight, dust off the cobwebs and give us all a glimmer of what made his playing so memorable in the first place. It'd be logical to assume that Jani and Wolfgang were positive relationships. Ed liked playing with his kid. If that's what it took to get Ed out of his tailspin, then that's what it took. Considering where Ed was in the first half of the 2000's, he did manage to sort himself out and end his professional career on a positive note and not go out, as you say, a broken-down wreck.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Eddie Van Halen was cool. He just had the magic. Wolfgang is lame as fuck. Yeah he has some musical aptitude but he has no charisma. He’s like a wet rag and about as exciting as a insurance seminar.
    I've never felt Wolfgang was particularly noteworthy as a musician. He was a competent bass player. His playing on ADKOT was competent. His Mammoth album was competent. Wolfgang was probably one of the few people Ed would listen to when 2006 rolled around re: getting Dave back in the fold. As a fan, if one wanted to see Dave back onstage with Ed and Al again, by the time 2006 rolled around Wolfgang was the necessary part of the package that brought Eddie around re: acquiescing (finally, and partway) to what the fans had wanted. That being a CVH reunion. Van Halen Mach 4 was as close as we were gonna get. Wolfgang looked out of place on that first reunion tour, a little less so with the subsequent tours, mostly due to my gradually accepting the fact that Ed probably wouldn't have bothered touring at all had Wolfgang not been part of the band.

I don't know the kid, but he seemingly doesn't come across as any more entitled than any other kid who grew up rich, famous or not. Have zero interest in seeing him live or hearing what he's doing musically now, because what I've seen and heard of Mammoth - and that's setting to the side comparisons to Van Halen - comes across as average and forgettable to me.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

100 percent on all of this, yes.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He can be a real brat to her. She was cooking onion rings and Wolf was being a cocky jerk to her. My mom would have clocked me. Val wasn’t liking it but Wolf is too precious to discipline plus he’s like 30 and acts like a kid still.
    Holy shit, my mom - god rest her soul - would hand me my ass if I acted like that.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It might come across as lame to say this or whatever, but Van Halen were the shit for me back in the day. Hearing Van Halen wasn't the sole reason I took up the guitar, but for the first few years of playing Eddie was a primary influence. This is back in 1981 or so. I was 11 or 12 years old, thereabouts. And, yeah, part of me had a snarky attitude toward Eddie after the 1996 fling with Dave didn't culminate in anything beyond the two BOV1 tracks. Mostly because it seemed like Ed was frittering away his talent. Van Halen were such a positive experience to listen to back in the day. Back when I was young and impressionable and still idolized rock stars. So, a lot of the snark I had toward what Ed had had devolved to in the post-Cherone/pre-2007 Roth reunion period was masking a disappointment on my part.

I didn't want Ed to basically give up, hide his talent away and retreat into seclusion. None of that represented the best of what Eddie was to me back in the day. I didn't want Eddie to embark on a half-hearted reunion tour with Sammy Hagar and hear clips of him fumble fingering his way through Van Hagar tunes. I didn't want to see Ed wanking on his Trans-Trem Sustainer for a porn movie. I didn't want to see Eddie walking around looking like an extra in a zombie movie. I didn't want to see him befuddled at a NAMM show, unable to play licks he had been able to execute with ease less than a decade earlier. Fuck, whatever I felt about the Cherone years, at least Eddie was still able to PLAY, you know? It seemed like Eddie was in free fall. Even when that publicity photo of Ed, Al, Dave and Wolfie was released online in late 2006/early 2007, Eddie still looked a bit fucked up in that photo. As much as I in 2007 was still tantalized by the prospect of Dave rejoining the group as I had been in 1996, I didn't want THAT to happen if Eddie was still in free fall.

It certainly appeared that those last three Roth tours at the very least gave Eddie a reason to get himself straight, dust off the cobwebs and give us all a glimmer of what made his playing so memorable in the first place. It'd be logical to assume that Jani and Wolfgang were positive relationships. Ed liked playing with his kid. If that's what it took to get Ed out of his tailspin, then that's what it took. Considering where Ed was in the first half of the 2000's, he did manage to sort himself out and end his professional career on a positive note and not go out, as you say, a broken-down wreck.
    Agreed on all points.

Based on what was happening at the time, we all thought Eddie would be dead by 2006. Just judging by his downward spiral from about 2003 onward.

Jani helped him stay alive not to mention Wolf as well. And of course getting the band going again with Dave. All those elements brought Ed back to life basically.

Three successful tours, one more album and the live album as well. That I agree with Wolf were miracles. Not because of any perceived friction with Dave but mostly due to Ed's health.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Holy shit, my mom - god rest her soul - would hand me my ass if I acted like that.
    My mom was old school. Honor thy mother and father or else! There was a power pyramid. The parents, the kids and the dog. We were more important than the dog but we were not equal to the parents and dad was busy and gone a lot and mom was queen of the castle. Screw with the Queen and there were consequences and mom grew up around horse racing and she was tough and didn’t take shit. She wore the pants and the feminists had nothing on her.

43. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Funny. I had lunch with two of my high school chums and one said you know why we turned out fine and didn’t get into too much trouble? We were scared of our moms. Ha! Ha! That’s a true statement. Shit. I was scared of my mom even when she was the old lady walking with the cane. She would hit you with the thing and shove it up your ass.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways Van Halen was what it was. They had their issues. I think they might have done things different if people stopped going to the shows and didn’t buy the music but that never happened. In a way the fans enabled the band’s behavior by continuing to support them. They always knew the seats would be full so why change?

46. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (07-19-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I will give Wolf some credit. He doesn’t drink or do drugs. Smart when you have a dad, an uncle and a grandfather that struggled with substance abuse. Diabetes or heart disease is going to get him though if he doesn’t get the weight off and take better care of himself. He can afford the best personal trainers and there are plenty in LA. Take care of yourself kid and congrats on the engagement. You are marring up.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just throwing it out there, but was Ed a victim of his own success? After Hagar was out and before or after Cherone, could he have started a new band with 3 new members and done something that way? Seems like it got to the point where Ed and the band "Van Halen" had gotten so iconic that it ended up being a boulder chained to Ed's ankle and he felt there was no way for him to create new music outside the Van Halen brand. Was that even true? If word had gotten out about that, dudes would've lined up around the block to be part of playing with Ed. As has been mentioned, it seems like it got to the point where he just resigned himself to the fact that his only path forward was with Roth. But was it? Could he have done a solo album or formed another group? I'm not sure he ever would've considered playing without Al, but he certainly had no problem playing without Mike and Roth/Hagar. How would you guys have felt about an Ed solo album or Ed playing guitar in another band, with or without Al, but with a different bass player and singer at a minimum? And maybe Ed had no interest in doing anything outside of "Van Halen", but it sure seems like he had opportunities to do other things, but he chose the path that limited what he could do, at least in his own mind.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I will give Wolf some credit. He doesn’t drink or do drugs. Smart when you have a dad, an uncle and a grandfather that struggled with substance abuse. Diabetes or heart disease is going to get him though if he doesn’t get the weight off and take better care of himself. He can afford the best personal trainers and there are plenty in LA. Take care of yourself kid and congrats on the engagement. You are marring up.
    He has ZERO excuse to look like that. To be a slob.

Yeah because as you say he can get the best personal trainers. Money ain't an issue.

Oh and he doesn't get a gal who is more than half his weight if his last name ain't Van Halen.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just throwing it out there, but was Ed a victim of his own success? After Hagar was out and before or after Cherone, could he have started a new band with 3 new members and done something that way? Seems like it got to the point where Ed and the band "Van Halen" had gotten so iconic that it ended up being a boulder chained to Ed's ankle and he felt there was no way for him to create new music outside the Van Halen brand. Was that even true? If word had gotten out about that, dudes would've lined up around the block to be part of playing with Ed. As has been mentioned, it seems like it got to the point where he just resigned himself to the fact that his only path forward was with Roth. But was it? Could he have done a solo album or formed another group? I'm not sure he ever would've considered playing without Al, but he certainly had no problem playing without Mike and Roth/Hagar. How would you guys have felt about an Ed solo album or Ed playing guitar in another band, with or without Al, but with a different bass player and singer at a minimum? And maybe Ed had no interest in doing anything outside of "Van Halen", but it sure seems like he had opportunities to do other things, but he chose the path that limited what he could do, at least in his own mind.
    Ed should've done that in 1985. 5150 shouldve been his solo album without Al or Mike. Maybe Sam sings some songs. Throw in Patty Smyth etc.

Get all that gay shit music out of his system and reconvene as CVH a little later.

But again, he didn't do that. I believe Ed just wasn't as confident on his own. Especially without his brother. Heck, I don't think he was confident to do an album without Dave.

Which is also why they kept the name. Ed would've been scared shitless if they went out under a different banner and not Van Halen. As the VH brand was solidified as a top selling recording and touring act.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 07-19-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

The ironic thing is that Eddie was making "solo" recordings around that time that he played drums on himself, and not Al. Like the infamous "Donut City" which sounded like Loverboy with a better guitarist....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I dunno about Ed being a victim of his own success.

Whatever misgivings he had about his lack of control over the way some of the 6-pack stuff was produced or the choices made about some of the material recorded during the Roth years, Ed certainly had his way creatively throughout the Sam Hagar years. Ditto for the Van Halen III album.

I always thought it had been a mistake to bring Dave back in 1996 and not go all the way with it. THAT to me was a demarcation point, career-wise. I wonder if Ed just thought because Roth in solo commercial terms was basically a has-been in 1996 therefore there wasn't a strong yearning anymore on part of the Van Halen fans to see Dave reunite with the band. That perhaps it was this mindset that led the Van Halens to think they could just do a couple of bonus tracks with Dave for the BOV1 album as a...what? A dry run for possibly doing an album and tour with Roth in 1997. And if that didn't pan out, it wouldn't be any big deal to then get another singer, because the reaction to the band NOT doing an album and tour with Roth wouldn't be what it ended up being. I mean, to be frank about it, in early 1996 the general public at large had virtually zero interest in what Roth was doing as a solo act.

It was a bad mistake to whet the public appetite with those two 1996 tracks and that VMA appearance. Especially to pull a bait and switch with Gary Cherone. I mean, Gary Cherone circa 1996 was a step down from Hagar, never mind a CVH reunion. It isn't to say that there wouldn't have been resistance to Cherone anyway, but to stoke the embers of a CVH reunion and then announce your new lead singer is Gary Cherone...shit, the band would have been better off plodding on with Hagar.

No, once the Pandora's Box of a CVH reunion was cracked open slightly, by and large the fanbase wasn't going to accept anything else short of Roth rejoining full on. Because the fanbase knew what the Van Halens had forgotten: Van Halen was never all about Eddie Van Halen. And what Eddie Van Halen brought to Van Halen went beyond the 'guitar god' shredding of Eruption.

It was the songs. Included in that was the lyrics and vocals. And drums. And bass.

Could Eddie have released a solo album? I suppose he could have, but wasn't Van Halen III pretty much an Eddie Van Halen solo album? In terms of Eddie doing what he wanted to do, it sure seemed like he had complete control over Van Halen III.

53. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (07-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think Ed had anxiety. His son was diagnosed with it. I have a friend who was as well. The part of his brain that produces anxiety never completely shuts off and he had some of the behaviors Ed showed. Once they got him on the right medication he was much better. But when you have anxiety, cigarettes and alcohol help quell it and if you are dealing with it and are a very famous guitar slinger who has to live up to people's expectations that's got to be hell.

I know Alex did say it was easier for him to quit drinking because he's not the guitar god. Alex didn't have the pressures on him, his brother did.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He has ZERO excuse to look like that. To be a slob.

Yeah because as you say he can get the best personal trainers. Money ain't an issue.

Oh and he doesn't get a gal who is more than half his weight if his last name ain't Van Halen.
    He's been fat his whole life. Val and Ed should have never let him get that fat as a kid but they did. Again I had different parents. I didn't get much junk food and I had to eat my vegetables and do a lot of physical work. My parents were not into lounging around doing nothing. Nobody in my family are fat. We ski, we climb mountains and that sort of stuff. It's why I live where I live.

56. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (07-21-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Well, I have been chewing on this article for a few days now. I thought maybe a cooler head would prevail. It hasn't. This kid acts like a spoiled cunt. He fucking antagonizes VH fans, then snivels like a bitch when he hears the backlash.

I have no doubt the shit he says about Dave is accurate. However, as we have heard recently, Dave has been dealing with health issues. You'd think this punk would be sympathetic to this, after what his Dad went through. For all of Dave's idiosyncracies, I believe he respected what Van Halen had when it went into a studio, and went onstage. That mashing and gnashing of personalities, made VH what they were. Well, that and a lot of talent.

I have zero doubt in my mind this kid is very calculated in everything he says and does. In fact, I will go so far as to say, I believe he waited for his Dad to die to release his album, on purpose. If he had released it before Ed died and it flopped, it would have been a major disappointment to both of them. By releasing it after, he was able to use the sympathy card to his advantage. There is no other reason this album wasn't released before Ed passed.

He seems to want VH fan to accept and love him, but he wants to shit on us at the same time. Ignoring "the vault". Ignoring the old live shows. Publicly stating he doesn't give a fuck what VH fan wants. Well fuck you. Any fleeting thought I had about attending his show here, that sold for shit, went out the window with his shitty attitude.

Fuck a "Tribute" concert. I don't give one fuck about other musicians butchering Ed's great work, as a "tribute" to Ed. Fuck that. How about releasing some old shows when he was on top of his game? Hell, release them from every era.

I think the failure of VH III was a massive blow to Ed. Up to that point he thought he was invincible and the singer didn't matter. He got lucky with lightning striking twice. A third time wasn't to be. That was a big reality check for him. You'd think Wolfgang would have enough sense to see that Ed recording mostly everything on VH III himself, didn't allow any chemistry in. Now this fucknut is recording albums the same way. He's already stating that is the way he does it, and will do it again for the next album. His band is basically hired hands to play the stuff live. If there were any way possible for this kid to do it like he did in that one video that is all him, I'm sure he'd do that. Fucker should just hologram himself playing the other instruments for his live shows. Couldn't sell any worse than his last tour.

At least all the Van Halen's are consistent. They don't give one fuck about their fans. They seemingly get away with doing just about everything outside of the albums and live shows, wrong. This kids time in the spotlight is going to be short lived.

58. 4 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-21-2024),Nitro Express (07-20-2022),Terry (07-20-2022),Vinnie Velvet (07-21-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I think there is a very good chance that the reason Roth vetoed the memorial gig if which is what we are talking about was it was going to be shit most likely because Hagar was going to be involved.

It's not like this is situation where the family needs money and I don't think the Van Halen's are super famous for their charity work. The only one that I've heard about was the local cops benevolent fund and lets be honest an alcoholic with a bunch of sports cars would be pretty stupid not to throw a few bucks and occasional charity golf game with the cops.

Maybe I'm getting very cynical in my old age but I'm not sure how Taylor Hawkins or his family is helped by Wolf now covering one of their songs but I could see how it could help the set list of pretty samey songs from an artist without much stage charisma and his hired backing band...

Thread Information