X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    I heard that Pete Angelus has full audio, maybe soundboard quality of Oakland 1981. Sure, we all know there isn't video footage beyond the three songs but that doesn't mean there isn't full audio.

Also, Angelus apparently has many 1984 shows as well that were recorded (audio).

So clearly there is material that can be put into nice collector box set packages for these live shows. But alas Alex does nothing. And we fans are left with nothing.
    Supposedly the whole reason the Diver Down album exists.... and was thrown together as fast as it was, is because the original plan was to release a live Van Halen album from the Fair Warning tour, and somebody pulled the plug on the project at the last minute. Might have been Warner Brothers, might have been Eddie, doubt it was Dave..... but in any case, the obvious implication is that there's probably at least one master tape of an official live album out there, and I doubt it would have been thrown away. Would Pete Angelus have it? Maybe... though I would think it would be more likely in the archives of either WB records or Eddie's own mythical vault.

If there really was a WB box set that was already set for release, I'm thinking this live record might be part of it. And I would definitely rather hear that than a tribute show with somebody else playing a half-assed cover of Ed's guitar parts.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I think VH’s best stuff is already out. I don’t think there is anything all that great sitting in a vault somewhere.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Where did Dave respond to Wolf's bullshit?

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

DLR on the email story is all there is

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            If Al was like Sammy Hagar he would be selling it all to us and we would be totally exhausted from the non-stop sales pitches. Carnival barker Sam told Gene Simmons to hold his beer while he demonstrates what a real pimp looks like.
            I'd love to be proved wrong but I got a feeling Al won't be revisiting the vaults nor authorizing any releases from that material. That's a shame as there's got to be some great work in there.

But... when Al passes and whoever inherits his interests in Van Halen music, most likely his kids... then all bets are off and good reason to think the gold will be mined from that material. I also expect some major family drama from Wolfgang will follow for control of that shit... sadly most of us won't live long enough to hear any of it.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              Supposedly the whole reason the Diver Down album exists.... and was thrown together as fast as it was, is because the original plan was to release a live Van Halen album from the Fair Warning tour, and somebody pulled the plug on the project at the last minute. Might have been Warner Brothers, might have been Eddie, doubt it was Dave..... but in any case, the obvious implication is that there's probably at least one master tape of an official live album out there, and I doubt it would have been thrown away. Would Pete Angelus have it? Maybe... though I would think it would be more likely in the archives of either WB records or Eddie's own mythical vault.

If there really was a WB box set that was already set for release, I'm thinking this live record might be part of it. And I would definitely rather hear that than a tribute show with somebody else playing a half-assed cover of Ed's guitar parts.
              The full 1981 Oakland show (s) pressed onto 180 gram vinyl in a glorious box set (something like what Rush did with Moving Pictures and their 1981 show along with the main studio album) would be so awesome.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

The full 1981 Oakland show (s) pressed onto 180 gram vinyl in a glorious box set (something like what Rush did with Moving Pictures and their 1981 show along with the main studio album) would be so awesome.
                Shame Gene Simmons wasnt their manager...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  I'd love to be proved wrong but I got a feeling Al won't be revisiting the vaults nor authorizing any releases from that material. That's a shame as there's got to be some great work in there.

But... when Al passes and whoever inherits his interests in Van Halen music, most likely his kids... then all bets are off and good reason to think the gold will be mined from that material. I also expect some major family drama from Wolfgang will follow for control of that shit... sadly most of us won't live long enough to hear any of it.
                  Wolfgang inherited the vault. 5150 was owned by his father and the vault is ed's personal recordings. It's not family or Van Halen property. The record label owns the music that was released. From what I hear Ed had a pretty good will covering everything in detail. You avoid a lot of estate fights having a decent estate lawyer writing a will. It's when you don't have a decent will or a will at all when the fun happens and in California with their probate it can be a nightmare. I had to deal with the state of California when my brother died and it was a pain in the ass.
                  Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-21-2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Where did Dave respond to Wolf's bullshit?
                    Wolf isn't worthy of a response. Shit. The kid is his own worst enemy. He probably will gain another hundred pounds, his wife will leave him and everyone will hate him five years from now. The only reason he's getting press now is people are curious what he has to say and it sells. In a few years nobody is going to care. Wolf who? The thing is he's too dumb to see how lucky he is and he's going to piss it away. He crys already that he's hated and then in a schizophrenic way says he enjoys the hate. He's a mixed up miserable fuck and he's probably going to have a breakdown and that will get some news coverage as well
                    Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-21-2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      A few things about copying that.

Van Halen haven't played a headline gig in the UK since 1980.

Secondly Gary Cherone and Extreme played a blinder at the Freddy show, they are still together so maybe Extreme could have performed the whole of Van Halen III?

Finally if you remember the Freddy Mercury tribute was to raise money for AIDS research and spread awareness about the disease. Would this gig have been to raise money for research and to raise awareness about the dangers of metal guitar picks giving you cancer?

I wasn't thinking along the lines of Wembley so much in terms of location, rather how the lineup of groups/guest appearances was presented.

It'd be more logical for the Wembley type thing to take place in California.

Maybe Cherone and Bettencourt could do a tune off of Van Halen III.

Maybe donate the proceeds to cancer research.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                        Shame Gene Simmons wasnt their manager...
                        I'm actually surprised that Gene hasn't found a way to cash in on the demo tape that he produced for them.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          I'm actually surprised that Gene hasn't found a way to cash in on the demo tape that he produced for them.
                          It's not promoting KISS or Gene Simmons. Gene wants to promote his own brands because if he can sell you one thing then that opens the door to selling you more things and hopefully your friends and family will want it too. Gene is like a virus. He wants to spread as far and wide as he can. You don't think Gene with a Van Halen collection of music. It will make you want more VH stuff.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Wolfgang inherited the vault. 5150 was owned by his father and the vault is ed's personal recordings. It's not family or Van Halen property. The record label owns the music that was released. From what I hear Ed had a pretty good will covering everything in detail. You avoid a lot of estate fights having a decent estate lawyer writing a will. It's when you don't have a decent will or a will at all when the fun happens and in California with their probate it can be a nightmare. I had to deal with the state of California when my brother died and it was a pain in the ass.
                            Based on statements Wolfgang has made... Alex inherited primary control of the Van Halen musical catalog, which I assume includes all material, masters and unreleased recordings owned by the band. Wolfgang only retains a voting interest to represent his father's interests.

Your statement that Wolfgang inherited the vault may be partially true... he got the physical building space. But Alex has the controlling ownership of the Intellectual Property (IP) or contents previously stored in said vault.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              Based on statements Wolfgang has made... Alex inherited primary control of the Van Halen musical catalog, which I assume includes all material, masters and unreleased recordings owned by the band. Wolfgang only retains a voting interest to represent his father's interests.
                              Yes. Which is why so as long as Al is living you will never see the Van Hagar catalog reissued.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Yes. Which is why so as long as Al is living you will never see the Van Hagar catalog reissued.

That's okay, because apparently the 6-pack catalog is going to be reissued annually in perpetuity.

With no extras, ever, because - assuming 'extras' even exist - why bother with any extras when you can take the path of least effort and keep putting out the old catalog?

If Van Halen keeps re-releasing the original recordings and people keep buying the re-releases, frankly I think it is less a case of Al and/or Wolfie being a pair of assholes for doing so than it is the purchasers being a pack of idiots for paying.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...