Thread: Rolling Stone - Wolf & Ed

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I give Wolf credit for a last run of CVH..A nice big FU to Sammy in doing that..and getting rid of the bass solo...I went to the 12 show but had zero interest in 15...its over..
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-21-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Well, I have been chewing on this article for a few days now. I thought maybe a cooler head would prevail. It hasn't. This kid acts like a spoiled cunt. He fucking antagonizes VH fans, then snivels like a bitch when he hears the backlash.

I have no doubt the shit he says about Dave is accurate. However, as we have heard recently, Dave has been dealing with health issues. You'd think this punk would be sympathetic to this, after what his Dad went through. For all of Dave's idiosyncracies, I believe he respected what Van Halen had when it went into a studio, and went onstage. That mashing and gnashing of personalities, made VH what they were. Well, that and a lot of talent.

I have zero doubt in my mind this kid is very calculated in everything he says and does. In fact, I will go so far as to say, I believe he waited for his Dad to die to release his album, on purpose. If he had released it before Ed died and it flopped, it would have been a major disappointment to both of them. By releasing it after, he was able to use the sympathy card to his advantage. There is no other reason this album wasn't released before Ed passed.

He seems to want VH fan to accept and love him, but he wants to shit on us at the same time. Ignoring "the vault". Ignoring the old live shows. Publicly stating he doesn't give a fuck what VH fan wants. Well fuck you. Any fleeting thought I had about attending his show here, that sold for shit, went out the window with his shitty attitude.

Fuck a "Tribute" concert. I don't give one fuck about other musicians butchering Ed's great work, as a "tribute" to Ed. Fuck that. How about releasing some old shows when he was on top of his game? Hell, release them from every era.

I think the failure of VH III was a massive blow to Ed. Up to that point he thought he was invincible and the singer didn't matter. He got lucky with lightning striking twice. A third time wasn't to be. That was a big reality check for him. You'd think Wolfgang would have enough sense to see that Ed recording mostly everything on VH III himself, didn't allow any chemistry in. Now this fucknut is recording albums the same way. He's already stating that is the way he does it, and will do it again for the next album. His band is basically hired hands to play the stuff live. If there were any way possible for this kid to do it like he did in that one video that is all him, I'm sure he'd do that. Fucker should just hologram himself playing the other instruments for his live shows. Couldn't sell any worse than his last tour.

At least all the Van Halen's are consistent. They don't give one fuck about their fans. They seemingly get away with doing just about everything outside of the albums and live shows, wrong. This kids time in the spotlight is going to be short lived.
    Yeah, well, doubtless the kid has led a privileged life. He certainly didn't have to work at all to get the bass slot in Van Halen. Irrespective of what Eddie said, there wasn't anything exceptional to the slightest degree with Wolfgang's bass playing. It was competent, and nothing beyond that.

I dunno where the majority of the blame lies for the remaining members of Van Halen not doing a live tribute to Ed. Honestly, even if Wolfgang were more responsible than Dave or Al or Hagar or whoever it matters not. Once Eddie died, it was game over anyway.

Yeah, maybe the kid is that cynical regarding the timing of the Mammoth album release. It could be that he didn't want to release the album because Ed was still alive (but in failing health) for no other reason than wanting to spend as much time with his father as he could. I dunno. I don't know the kid. It seems like he's fucked with various segments of Van Halen fans no matter what he does or doesn't say or do. I wouldn't bother seeing Mammoth live because the music does nothing for me on record. In addition, Wolfgang had virtually no stage presence when he was in Van Halen. It's not like that's gonna improve any with Mammoth.

I couldn't say if Wolfgang has unilateral control over "the vault" re: releasing whatever is in it whenever he wants to. Who knows what the contractual obligations are with such a release?

I would agree the most fitting tribute to Ed and Van Halen WOULD be putting out some old Van Halen shows when Ed and the band were at the top of their game. Then again, THAT was something that should have been undertaken at the very least ten years ago, if not sooner. Instead, we got Tokyo Dome.

Mammoth long term will ultimately rise or fall on the strength of what it does musically. Being 'the kid of' Eddie was enough to get Mammoth a release and some publicity, but that nepotism won't be enough on its own to sustain a wide level of interest over time. I don't blame Wolfgang for using his family name to get his foot in the door of the music business. You use whatever leverage you have. Plus, it's not like he can disavow who he is, what his last name is or who his father was. Once the foot is in the door, it'll be his talent that takes him the rest of the way. From what I've seen and heard, there's not much by way of talent there. Others may disagree. Whatever.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 10:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, well, doubtless the kid has led a privileged life. He certainly didn't have to work at all to get the bass slot in Van Halen. Irrespective of what Eddie said, there wasn't anything exceptional to the slightest degree with Wolfgang's bass playing. It was competent, and nothing beyond that.

I dunno where the majority of the blame lies for the remaining members of Van Halen not doing a live tribute to Ed. Honestly, even if Wolfgang were more responsible than Dave or Al or Hagar or whoever it matters not. Once Eddie died, it was game over anyway.

Yeah, maybe the kid is that cynical regarding the timing of the Mammoth album release. It could be that he didn't want to release the album because Ed was still alive (but in failing health) for no other reason than wanting to spend as much time with his father as he could. I dunno. I don't know the kid. It seems like he's fucked with various segments of Van Halen fans no matter what he does or doesn't say or do. I wouldn't bother seeing Mammoth live because the music does nothing for me on record. In addition, Wolfgang had virtually no stage presence when he was in Van Halen. It's not like that's gonna improve any with Mammoth.

I couldn't say if Wolfgang has unilateral control over "the vault" re: releasing whatever is in it whenever he wants to. Who knows what the contractual obligations are with such a release?

I would agree the most fitting tribute to Ed and Van Halen WOULD be putting out some old Van Halen shows when Ed and the band were at the top of their game. Then again, THAT was something that should have been undertaken at the very least ten years ago, if not sooner. Instead, we got Tokyo Dome.

Mammoth long term will ultimately rise or fall on the strength of what it does musically. Being 'the kid of' Eddie was enough to get Mammoth a release and some publicity, but that nepotism won't be enough on its own to sustain a wide level of interest over time. I don't blame Wolfgang for using his family name to get his foot in the door of the music business. You use whatever leverage you have. Plus, it's not like he can disavow who he is, what his last name is or who his father was. Once the foot is in the door, it'll be his talent that takes him the rest of the way. From what I've seen and heard, there's not much by way of talent there. Others may disagree. Whatever.
    Not sure if those text emails are true, but whoever wrote it does get it right about Hagar:
    Then they blame Roth for leaving the band originally in 1985 and lament the decision to bring Sammy Hagar in to replace him later that year: “Once Hagar joined it was never the same.”

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

Yeah, but this part of the email article made me think the guy was dumb:

And this is a bit of a reach, but twice the writer uses double-exclamation points — the same way Van Halen does on the song “Everybody Wants Some!!” That’s always annoyed the shit out of me and, quite frankly, makes me enjoy the song less.
    Over the song title? That's dumb.

6. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (07-21-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well, I have been chewing on this article for a few days now. I thought maybe a cooler head would prevail. It hasn't. This kid acts like a spoiled cunt. He fucking antagonizes VH fans, then snivels like a bitch when he hears the backlash.

I have no doubt the shit he says about Dave is accurate. However, as we have heard recently, Dave has been dealing with health issues. You'd think this punk would be sympathetic to this, after what his Dad went through. For all of Dave's idiosyncracies, I believe he respected what Van Halen had when it went into a studio, and went onstage. That mashing and gnashing of personalities, made VH what they were. Well, that and a lot of talent.

I have zero doubt in my mind this kid is very calculated in everything he says and does. In fact, I will go so far as to say, I believe he waited for his Dad to die to release his album, on purpose. If he had released it before Ed died and it flopped, it would have been a major disappointment to both of them. By releasing it after, he was able to use the sympathy card to his advantage. There is no other reason this album wasn't released before Ed passed.

He seems to want VH fan to accept and love him, but he wants to shit on us at the same time. Ignoring "the vault". Ignoring the old live shows. Publicly stating he doesn't give a fuck what VH fan wants. Well fuck you. Any fleeting thought I had about attending his show here, that sold for shit, went out the window with his shitty attitude.

Fuck a "Tribute" concert. I don't give one fuck about other musicians butchering Ed's great work, as a "tribute" to Ed. Fuck that. How about releasing some old shows when he was on top of his game? Hell, release them from every era.

I think the failure of VH III was a massive blow to Ed. Up to that point he thought he was invincible and the singer didn't matter. He got lucky with lightning striking twice. A third time wasn't to be. That was a big reality check for him. You'd think Wolfgang would have enough sense to see that Ed recording mostly everything on VH III himself, didn't allow any chemistry in. Now this fucknut is recording albums the same way. He's already stating that is the way he does it, and will do it again for the next album. His band is basically hired hands to play the stuff live. If there were any way possible for this kid to do it like he did in that one video that is all him, I'm sure he'd do that. Fucker should just hologram himself playing the other instruments for his live shows. Couldn't sell any worse than his last tour.

At least all the Van Halen's are consistent. They don't give one fuck about their fans. They seemingly get away with doing just about everything outside of the albums and live shows, wrong. This kids time in the spotlight is going to be short lived.
    The last time I was in China we were having dinner at a pretty nice restaurant and the family at the next table had this spoiled brat. That kid was owning the situation and his parents were enabling the bad behavior. It’s a direct result of the one child policy. The parents spoil their only child and they become brats. The situation is so bad it’s called little emperor syndrome. Wolfing is a little emperor who grew up.

Yeah man. I’m seeing some red flags in his behavior and I’m afraid it’s going to bite him on the ass. People are seeing his shows because they are curious but I don’t think Mammoth WVH has any legs. He acts like a brat on social media using the fan base as a punching bag and urnal. It’s going to come back and bite him.

You don’t make it long-term in show business without any charisma and as far as the public goes, always show them your best side. I mean the guy lost his dad and there was a huge amount of sympathy for him but he managed to shit all over that and make people hate him.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-20-2022 at 07:07 PM.

8. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-21-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways if the guy doesn’t change his tune he’s going to die a lonely miserable fuck in his 50’s from a heart attack. It’s about when those fat fucks go who have been fat since they were in diapers. I give Wolf another 20 years or so.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He can feel that way but he was dumb enough to tell us. Ha! Ha! Yeah I could have easily saw his Salt Lake and Boise shows but why bother. I would rather see a farting contest after a chili cook off.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave is probably going you little shit you! Let’s see your fat ass jump off a 12 foot drum riser.

12. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (07-21-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

It was dumb as fuck for Roth to have a go at Ed for being culturally illiterate not because it wasn't true - of course he was he even said he hadn't listened to anyone else's music in how long? 20 years?

It was still dumb because Ed is dead, it's too soon and thems the rules.

As far as any memorial show show or whatever goes, if I'm Roth I probably wouldn't have done it either. Who knows but likely scenario is Mammoth support then Hagar and his pals from that mediocre Chickenfuck band playing Van Hagar, then a bit of Van Halen then everyone on stage for 'Can't wank at 75' or whatever? Who needs that?

The last Van Halen show at the Hollywood Bowl is on YouTube, it's better than the live album and pretty much the best thing they did since 1985 so that is a good enough legacy to bow out on.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-20-2022 at 11:57 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I hate the idea of a memorial show. Who gives a fuck how culturally diverse Ed was. He spoke two languages and had a Indonesian mom and a Dutch father. That’s more diverse than most people. Did he read classic literature and attend the performing arts? I doubt it. We were interested in Eddie Van Halen for one simple reason. He could blow you away. It was the WOW! Factor. Simple as that.

If someone wants to put up a plaque or even a statue that’s cool. I think the Pasadena Civic Center put a plaque up.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Maybe Dave sabotaged the memorial concert on purpose because he didn’t want to do anything with Nacho Cheese Hagar and Sauce Sowoleski. Dave knows the memories and music are the real memorial. If he hosed the thing on purpose thank you Dave! Thank’s for saving us from a horrid wank fest.

16. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-21-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well that's kind of what I was hinting at.

There is this fan thing you get where people scream they want stuff and then complain about how much they didn't think it was any good.

Maybe there are no good tapes in a vault and maybe a memorial show would have been pretty cringe.

18. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (07-21-2022),Terry (07-21-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I felt if the remaining members of Van Halen were adamant about a tribute to Eddie involving a performance that the 1992 Queen Wembley template wasn't a bad one to use.

Personally, it really didn't matter to me if it happened or not, even though I'd have preferred it didn't. I'm not too old to still enjoy rock music, but am too old to give a fuck like it was 1985 (or 1996, or 2004 or even 2007) all over again. What the band did with Dave back in the 70's and 80's still resonates with me to the point where nothing that happened after 1985 dimmed it. Therefore, the band continuing on in whatever form for however long even after Eddie passed wasn't going to matter. Not to me, anyway.

Even so, I thought the Wembley-type thing would have been useful in not having a theoretical tribute devolve into a bunch of bickering between former band members as to who gets to play and who doesn't. Get 'em all up there. Dave, Wolfgang, Alex, Mike, Hagar...fuck, even bring Cherone back for a tune. At that point, why the fuck not? Everybody gets to play at the proposed one-off event. Otherwise, the show would have been overshadowed by the backstage drama, or excluded former members going online and making bitchy comments. Casting a pall over what would/should have been as positive an experience as possible.

I'd rather a one-off than trying to reconstitute the band for a Mach 5 thing, only without Eddie. It was bad enough post-1985 that the band was only 3/4's original for most of those years (1996 excepted), but at least Eddie was in all those lineups. With Eddie gone, a Mach 5 would be devolving into what too many other rock bands turned into. Just another old band with less and less original/definitive members in the lineup.

Overall, it's best that nothing live-wise has happened. It'd be better if that remains the case. I mean, shit, to have seen what is left of the band pull their shit together now and get Dave, Alex and Mike Anthony together onstage performing after Eddie died vs. the years from 1996 to 2015 when they could have gotten CVH back together for a tour? THAT would have been the final 'fuck you' to the Van Halen fans who wanted to see a CVH reunion happen from 1996 onward. Fuck Jason Newsted and fuck Joe Satriani. I don't want to see those two onstage with Al and Dave playing Van Halen songs, nor any other bass player who isn't Mike Anthony and any other guitar player who isn't Eddie Van Halen. Who really wants to see Van Halen continue touring now that Eddie is gone? Cunts who can't let go and accept that the band Van Halen is over: the moment Eddie passed, there was no more 'going forward'.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

There is this fan thing you get where people scream they want stuff and then complain about how much they didn't think it was any good.

Maybe there are no good tapes in a vault and maybe a memorial show would have been pretty cringe.
    There was a youtube clip I saw posted somewhere recently - could have been here - with an interview of a guy who was involved with the band over around 2006 or so. From what I recall, he worked with the group at 5150, and he was describing some of what was in 'the vault'. I didn't get through the whole clip, but the upshot was that it wasn't quite the holy grail fans have long assumed it was.

Even with the CVH-era stuff, all those albums were analog recordings made on tape, right? Back in a time when outtakes or alternate takes were as likely as not discarded after the album was done? And even if they weren't, how likely was it that these materials were stored in a climate-controlled setting? More likely, the reels were left in a box in storage somewhere, if they even exist. Same for the footage the band shot on videotape for their own use, never mind the shows professionally shot on film, possibly rotting away in cans somewhere for 40 years and perhaps beyond salvaging today. Although I do imagine Dave, Mike Anthony and the Van Halens saved some of that stuff. But what difference does the existence of any of it make if we never get to see and hear it?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I felt if the remaining members of Van Halen were adamant about a tribute to Eddie involving a performance that the 1992 Queen Wembley template wasn't a bad one to use.
    A few things about copying that.

Van Halen haven't played a headline gig in the UK since 1980.

Secondly Gary Cherone and Extreme played a blinder at the Freddy show, they are still together so maybe Extreme could have performed the whole of Van Halen III?

Finally if you remember the Freddy Mercury tribute was to raise money for AIDS research and spread awareness about the disease. Would this gig have been to raise money for research and to raise awareness about the dangers of metal guitar picks giving you cancer?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It was dumb as fuck for Roth to have a go at Ed for being culturally illiterate not because it wasn't true - of course he was he even said he hadn't listened to anyone else's music in how long? 20 years?

It was still dumb because Ed is dead, it's too soon and thems the rules.

As far as any memorial show show or whatever goes, if I'm Roth I probably wouldn't have done it either. Who knows but likely scenario is Mammoth support then Hagar and his pals from that mediocre Chickenfuck band playing Van Hagar, then a bit of Van Halen then everyone on stage for 'Can't wank at 75' or whatever? Who needs that?

The last Van Halen show at the Hollywood Bowl is on YouTube, it's better than the live album and pretty much the best thing they did since 1985 so that is a good enough legacy to bow out on.
    I think Dave is tired of all this VH drama.

And doesn't like his name getting ran through mud in some Rolling Stone article.

I'd prefer if he didn't say anything but he felt compelled enough to respond. For us fans, we know Dave always liked AC/DC. But this article suggested otherwise.

Dave's comment about Ed being culturally illiterate is what we heard him say many years before. Dave is just referencing what he said. But yeah maybe not a good thing to say right now but in light of the article that slams him for whatever reason, Dave felt the need tor respond.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I heard that Pete Angelus has full audio, maybe soundboard quality of Oakland 1981. Sure, we all know there isn't video footage beyond the three songs but that doesn't mean there isn't full audio.

Also, Angelus apparently has many 1984 shows as well that were recorded (audio).

So clearly there is material that can be put into nice collector box set packages for these live shows. But alas Alex does nothing. And we fans are left with nothing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I heard that Pete Angelus has full audio, maybe soundboard quality of Oakland 1981. Sure, we all know there isn't video footage beyond the three songs but that doesn't mean there isn't full audio.

Also, Angelus apparently has many 1984 shows as well that were recorded (audio).

So clearly there is material that can be put into nice collector box set packages for these live shows. But alas Alex does nothing. And we fans are left with nothing.
    If Al was like Sammy Hagar he would be selling it all to us and we would be totally exhausted from the non-stop sales pitches. Carnival barker Sam told Gene Simmons to hold his beer while he demonstrates what a real pimp looks like.

25. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (07-21-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Ed himself described what’s in that wall of tapes at 5150. It’s just him jamming and he rolled tape in case anything magical happened and he could have a recording of it so he would know how to do it again. On the road if he had a good idea he would use a tape recorder. It’s not tapes of finished songs or the band. It’s Ed’s noodle tapes so someone would have to listen to it all and try and extract something the public would like to hear. The public like finished songs, what’s on those tapes would only interest guitar geeks.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

A memorial show would suck. It would devolve into a tequila and hot sauce infomercial.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Supposedly the whole reason the Diver Down album exists.... and was thrown together as fast as it was, is because the original plan was to release a live Van Halen album from the Fair Warning tour, and somebody pulled the plug on the project at the last minute. Might have been Warner Brothers, might have been Eddie, doubt it was Dave..... but in any case, the obvious implication is that there's probably at least one master tape of an official live album out there, and I doubt it would have been thrown away. Would Pete Angelus have it? Maybe... though I would think it would be more likely in the archives of either WB records or Eddie's own mythical vault.

If there really was a WB box set that was already set for release, I'm thinking this live record might be part of it. And I would definitely rather hear that than a tribute show with somebody else playing a half-assed cover of Ed's guitar parts.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think VH’s best stuff is already out. I don’t think there is anything all that great sitting in a vault somewhere.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Where did Dave respond to Wolf's bullshit?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DLR on the email story is all there is

https://www.vhnd.com/2022/07/16/davi...BnUD2SFfeQjAQ0

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    If Al was like Sammy Hagar he would be selling it all to us and we would be totally exhausted from the non-stop sales pitches. Carnival barker Sam told Gene Simmons to hold his beer while he demonstrates what a real pimp looks like.
    I'd love to be proved wrong but I got a feeling Al won't be revisiting the vaults nor authorizing any releases from that material. That's a shame as there's got to be some great work in there.

But... when Al passes and whoever inherits his interests in Van Halen music, most likely his kids... then all bets are off and good reason to think the gold will be mined from that material. I also expect some major family drama from Wolfgang will follow for control of that shit... sadly most of us won't live long enough to hear any of it.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Supposedly the whole reason the Diver Down album exists.... and was thrown together as fast as it was, is because the original plan was to release a live Van Halen album from the Fair Warning tour, and somebody pulled the plug on the project at the last minute. Might have been Warner Brothers, might have been Eddie, doubt it was Dave..... but in any case, the obvious implication is that there's probably at least one master tape of an official live album out there, and I doubt it would have been thrown away. Would Pete Angelus have it? Maybe... though I would think it would be more likely in the archives of either WB records or Eddie's own mythical vault.

If there really was a WB box set that was already set for release, I'm thinking this live record might be part of it. And I would definitely rather hear that than a tribute show with somebody else playing a half-assed cover of Ed's guitar parts.
    The full 1981 Oakland show (s) pressed onto 180 gram vinyl in a glorious box set (something like what Rush did with Moving Pictures and their 1981 show along with the main studio album) would be so awesome.

34. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

FORD (07-21-2022)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The full 1981 Oakland show (s) pressed onto 180 gram vinyl in a glorious box set (something like what Rush did with Moving Pictures and their 1981 show along with the main studio album) would be so awesome.
    Shame Gene Simmons wasnt their manager...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I'd love to be proved wrong but I got a feeling Al won't be revisiting the vaults nor authorizing any releases from that material. That's a shame as there's got to be some great work in there.

But... when Al passes and whoever inherits his interests in Van Halen music, most likely his kids... then all bets are off and good reason to think the gold will be mined from that material. I also expect some major family drama from Wolfgang will follow for control of that shit... sadly most of us won't live long enough to hear any of it.
    Wolfgang inherited the vault. 5150 was owned by his father and the vault is ed's personal recordings. It's not family or Van Halen property. The record label owns the music that was released. From what I hear Ed had a pretty good will covering everything in detail. You avoid a lot of estate fights having a decent estate lawyer writing a will. It's when you don't have a decent will or a will at all when the fun happens and in California with their probate it can be a nightmare. I had to deal with the state of California when my brother died and it was a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-21-2022 at 09:00 PM.

37. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-22-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Where did Dave respond to Wolf's bullshit?
    Wolf isn't worthy of a response. Shit. The kid is his own worst enemy. He probably will gain another hundred pounds, his wife will leave him and everyone will hate him five years from now. The only reason he's getting press now is people are curious what he has to say and it sells. In a few years nobody is going to care. Wolf who? The thing is he's too dumb to see how lucky he is and he's going to piss it away. He crys already that he's hated and then in a schizophrenic way says he enjoys the hate. He's a mixed up miserable fuck and he's probably going to have a breakdown and that will get some news coverage as well
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-21-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A few things about copying that.

Van Halen haven't played a headline gig in the UK since 1980.

Secondly Gary Cherone and Extreme played a blinder at the Freddy show, they are still together so maybe Extreme could have performed the whole of Van Halen III?

Finally if you remember the Freddy Mercury tribute was to raise money for AIDS research and spread awareness about the disease. Would this gig have been to raise money for research and to raise awareness about the dangers of metal guitar picks giving you cancer?

I wasn't thinking along the lines of Wembley so much in terms of location, rather how the lineup of groups/guest appearances was presented.

It'd be more logical for the Wembley type thing to take place in California.

Maybe Cherone and Bettencourt could do a tune off of Van Halen III.

Maybe donate the proceeds to cancer research.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Shame Gene Simmons wasnt their manager...
    I'm actually surprised that Gene hasn't found a way to cash in on the demo tape that he produced for them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm actually surprised that Gene hasn't found a way to cash in on the demo tape that he produced for them.
    It's not promoting KISS or Gene Simmons. Gene wants to promote his own brands because if he can sell you one thing then that opens the door to selling you more things and hopefully your friends and family will want it too. Gene is like a virus. He wants to spread as far and wide as he can. You don't think Gene with a Van Halen collection of music. It will make you want more VH stuff.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Wolfgang inherited the vault. 5150 was owned by his father and the vault is ed's personal recordings. It's not family or Van Halen property. The record label owns the music that was released. From what I hear Ed had a pretty good will covering everything in detail. You avoid a lot of estate fights having a decent estate lawyer writing a will. It's when you don't have a decent will or a will at all when the fun happens and in California with their probate it can be a nightmare. I had to deal with the state of California when my brother died and it was a pain in the ass.
    Based on statements Wolfgang has made... Alex inherited primary control of the Van Halen musical catalog, which I assume includes all material, masters and unreleased recordings owned by the band. Wolfgang only retains a voting interest to represent his father's interests.

Your statement that Wolfgang inherited the vault may be partially true... he got the physical building space. But Alex has the controlling ownership of the Intellectual Property (IP) or contents previously stored in said vault.

43. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-22-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Based on statements Wolfgang has made... Alex inherited primary control of the Van Halen musical catalog, which I assume includes all material, masters and unreleased recordings owned by the band. Wolfgang only retains a voting interest to represent his father's interests.
    Yes. Which is why so as long as Al is living you will never see the Van Hagar catalog reissued.

45. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (07-22-2022),Terry (07-22-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes. Which is why so as long as Al is living you will never see the Van Hagar catalog reissued.

That's okay, because apparently the 6-pack catalog is going to be reissued annually in perpetuity.

With no extras, ever, because - assuming 'extras' even exist - why bother with any extras when you can take the path of least effort and keep putting out the old catalog?

If Van Halen keeps re-releasing the original recordings and people keep buying the re-releases, frankly I think it is less a case of Al and/or Wolfie being a pair of assholes for doing so than it is the purchasers being a pack of idiots for paying.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not that anybody's asking for that.... except Sammy himself and a handful of sheep over at VH Links.

The only Van Hagar remasters I would buy is instrumental versions.... and they would still have to leave the synthesizer ballads out of it.

48. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (07-22-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If Van Halen keeps re-releasing the original recordings and people keep buying the re-releases, frankly I think it is less a case of Al and/or Wolfie being a pair of assholes for doing so than it is the purchasers being a pack of idiots for paying.
    Not VH, it's Warner Brothers.

50. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (07-22-2022),Terry (07-22-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not that anybody's asking for that.... except Sammy himself and a handful of sheep over at VH Links.

The only Van Hagar remasters I would buy is instrumental versions.... and they would still have to leave the synthesizer ballads out of it.
    Yes no one is asking for them. Lol

However, we are led to believe Al hates Spammy with a passion. And doesn't want him making another cent off the recordings.

What took Al so long to realize Sam is a douchebag?

52. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

FORD (07-22-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's okay, because apparently the 6-pack catalog is going to be reissued annually in perpetuity.

With no extras, ever, because - assuming 'extras' even exist - why bother with any extras when you can take the path of least effort and keep putting out the old catalog?

Speaking of another six-pack reissue, apparently there is a new box set of them that is a Wal-Mart only exclusive.

And get this.....something extra finally in them.....

wait for it.....

Vintage backstage passes (reproduced of course) from each tour!

54. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-22-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post