X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    I imagine you were just there "Heavy Metal Day"? I'm not remotely criticizing you for NOT going the other days...just curious.

I haven't seen too many lists of who played the other days...but I DO wish I saw Bowie when he was still alive. Always meant to go. Never thought he would have a mild heart attack and just STOP touring in the mid-2000s. His last two albums that came out in the 3 years before his death were both very, very good.
    Just went to Heavy Metal Day. The tickets were expensive. I think they were $35 which was a sizable sum in 1983. I think they said there were 400,000 there. It was huge. So there were logistical problems. You just didn’t pop in or out of the US Festival. One day was enough.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I just looked at the 83 US Festival roster. Some great acts were booked. All days would be good but we were VH fanatics so Sunday was the day.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        The band pulled it off. A bit drunk and wild in spots, but what the fuck...it's rock 'n roll, right? Or, it WAS rock 'n roll.
        Exactly. After the guitar solo Roth came out wearing a frock type thing, shed that and showed us his bare ass and kicked into gear. I think they did Ain’t Talking About Love. But the band was hitting on all cylinders the last half of the show. The encore was kick ass. The crowd noise was unbelievable. Imagine so many people screaming it’s as loud as a PA and it shakes the ground. You could feel the masses.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

When I lived in Utah I ran into Alan Osmond at some function. Nice guy. I was shooting the shit with him and he said The Osmonds had the loudest PA in the world in the 70’s. He said Led Zeppelin rented it from them. He said the girls would scream so loud you couldn’t hear the music, so they had this big ass PA built and the rock bands loved to rent it when the Osmonds weren’t using it.

The US Festival had crowd noise that would match or even overpower the PA system. The power of a big crowd is what was most impressive.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              I just looked at the 83 US Festival roster. Some great acts were booked. All days would be good but we were VH fanatics so Sunday was the day.
              OK...you just made me look. Sunday was definitely the best day. But there are other bands throughout the weekend I might have enjoyed sitting through (make fun of me all you want for some of these thumb's ups...in fact, I encourage it):
              SATURDAY, MAY 28 (NEW WAVE DAY)
              INXS - That would have been fun. Hey, they were a good band.
              MEN AT WORK - OK, I had the first two (U.S.) albums back when I was a little kid.
              THE CLASH - That would have been cool. Dave sure didn't agree. Incidentally, this was Mick Jones' last-ever gig with the band (and many people say the last REAL Clash gig ever.)

SUNDAY, MAY 29 (HEAVY METAL DAY)
              MOTLEY CRUE - Back then, touring SHOUT AT THE DEVIL...would've been fun. I've heard it was actually a pretty bad gig for them. It is on YouTube but I've not watched it.
              OZZY OSBOURNE - Post-Rhoads, but I would've enjoyed it. I think touring BARK AT THE MOON by this point.
              JUDAS PRIEST - Hell yes...they were amazing.
              VAN HALEN - Duh. (By the way, I skipped Scorpions, Triumph and a few others...just never fans of those.)

MONDAY, MAY 30 (ROCK DAY)
              LOS LOBOS - Actually, a very good bank.
              U2 - Touring WAR, a great album for them.
              JOE WALSH - Not a huge fan of his solo...but I love his 1978 LP ...BUT SERIOUSLY.
              DAVID BOWIE - The number one act I would have loved seeing outside VH...and yes, I skipped Stevie Nicks. I hate her. I like Fleetwood Mac, but I think Nicks is a piece of crap as a human being and I don't care about her solo music.

I didn't bother going through COUNTRY DAY. Johnny Cash wasn't playing and he is the only one from then I might have enjoyed. I like classic Nashville country from the 50s and 60s...but not a fan of modern country at all.

Yes, NITRO...you went the right day.
              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Well with this trans thing being the latest fad, females with manly voices is currently in style.
                FFS the whole trans thing has been around since at least the 1960's. Fucking Klinger on M*A*S*H dressed in drag in the 70's. Why do a-holes wanna act like this is some new threat to their manhood?

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  FFS the whole trans thing has been around since at least the 1960's. Fucking Klinger on M*A*S*H dressed in drag in the 70's. Why do a-holes wanna act like this is some new threat to their manhood?
                  We know this. We just don’t want you Libtards pushing their agenda on us. They bring enough attention to themselves, they don’t need you dopes shining a spotlight on them too. Next thing you fuckheads will be seeking reparations for them.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I didn't bother going through COUNTRY DAY. Johnny Cash wasn't playing and he is the only one from then I might have enjoyed. I like classic Nashville country from the 50s and 60s...but not a fan of modern country at all.
                    Not a fan of the F A T boy stoner?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

SUNDAY, MAY 29 (HEAVY METAL DAY)
                      OZZY OSBOURNE - Post-Rhoads, but I would've enjoyed it. I think touring BARK AT THE MOON by this point.
                      Jake E Lee's first gig.

To expect someone to go directly from playing in bars to this is nuts, spoiler alert he nails it. Ozzy a little less so...

I'm surprised Judas Priest were above Ozzy on the bill.

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Jake E Lee's first gig.

To expect someone to go directly from playing in bars to this is nuts, spoiler alert he nails it. Ozzy a little less so...

I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave... as for Ozzy, he sounds the same on this song as he would now lol.
                        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Jake E Lee's first gig.

OK...I need to watch this.

What's sad, though, is with SPEAK OF THE DEVIL and US FESTIVAL and all that, they JUST missed the boat on filming one entire gig professionally with Randy in the band. A real loss.
                          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                            Not a fan of the F A T boy stoner?
                            Can't say I am.

When it comes to country, I do truly love Johnny Cash. Early Merle Haggard. I even like Patsy Cline.

But the shit today, just does nothing for me. Just a bunch of idiots preaching about how great it is to not be educated and shoot their guns at gay people...all to music that sounds like bad rock/pop from the late 80s/90s.

I think my peak level of music industry disgust was when Steven Tyler made a country album or something. I can't believe this is the same guy who recorded TOYS IN THE ATTIC and ROCKS.

There's a well-known story that Aerosmith's management looked at the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane before Skynyrd did...but turned it down. Considering what happened to Aerosmith after the 70s, it's almost too bad they didn't take Lynyrd Skynyrd's bullet for them. (That said, do I think Lynyrd Skynyrd would be making albums as great as SECOND HELPING or STREET SURVIVORS by 1985? Hell, no.)
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

OK...I need to watch this.

What's sad, though, is with SPEAK OF THE DEVIL and US FESTIVAL and all that, they JUST missed the boat on filming one entire gig professionally with Randy in the band. A real loss.
                              It's not the full set it's missing a couple more Sabbath songs and Suicide Solution,Revelation (Mother Earth) and Steal Away (The Night).

Why do people think anyone wants to see drum solos rather than songs?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Can't say I am.

When it comes to country, I do truly love Johnny Cash. Early Merle Haggard. I even like Patsy Cline.
                                I hate all country apart from Johnny Cash.

The only thing I would give them is that many seem to still live the rockstar lifestyle a lot more than people in rock these days.

Comment

Working...