X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by So this is love
    I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave...
    It will be, as it always is with that woman, that she was stealing money from him.

As far as I can make out judging by Rudy Sarzo and Bob Daisley she basically gave them their per diem, i.e. touring pocket money and little else.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
      Not a fan of the F A T boy stoner?

Stapleton is pretty good, compared to most of the so-called "country" acts churned out by the Nashville corporate establishment in recent years. I like what I've heard of his music so far. He does a lot of songs about being drunk & stoned though, so if he actually "lives" those lyrics, he might not live long enough to be a "household name"

Is he a "legend" on the level of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard or Hank Williams (Sr, not his idiot fucking racist son, for fucks sake). Nah, it would be way too early to say that. But he's damn sure better than any of the Toby Keith/George Strait/Billy Ray Mullet/Florida Georgia Line bullshit of the last few decades.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
        I liked Jake E. Lee, never understood what the conflict was with Sharon for him to leave... as for Ozzy, he sounds the same on this song as he would now lol.
        From what Jake E. Lee said, he didn't get what he was verbally promised on the Bark At The Moon album re: songwriting credits and royalties.

Lee's story is that he recorded all his parts for Bark At The Moon and THEN was presented with a contract which was basically an NDA that stated Ozzy wrote all the songs, therefore Lee has no claims to publishing and Lee was forbidden to speak about any of it publicly. Lee was free to walk away, but then the Osbournes would just hire another guitarist to re-record Lee's parts and Lee could then sue the Osbournes for his compensation.

Lee admitted that when he was doing the BATM album he had no personal management/representation nor a lawyer, so he was ripe for a screwing.

He said he learned from the incident and refused to write or record anything for The Ultimate Sin prior to having a signed contract promising him writing credits and royalties.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't know who actually wrote the songs on the Bark of the Moon album, but I do know that Ozzy claimed in a Circus Magazine interview published in March 1982 that his next two albums had already been written and would be titled "Bark at the Moon" and "Killer of Giants". He also claimed that he "couldn't wait" to get back into the studio and put these songs on record, since the band he was then touring with (Rhoads/Sarzo/Aldridge/Airey) hadn't actually recorded together yet.

Of course that didn't happen, because the plane crash that killed Randy happened the same week that magazine went on sale - so presumably the interview had taken place a month or two before, being that this was in the pre-internet era and it took a while to put a magazine together. Taking Ozzy at his word though, wouldn't that mean that Randy Rhoads was involved in writing those records?

It would be just like Sharon to steal royalties from a dead man though.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We can be pretty much sure that all the music and lyrics on the Ozzy albums that made Ozzy's post Sabbath career i.e. the first 3 or 4 albums were all written by Bob Daisley and Randy Rhodes/Jake E Lee.

The maximum that Ozzy contributed would be some of the vocal melodies. Vocal melodies are often very important and if the music is written first difficult to do but moneywise 1/3rd of the royalties and there was no way Sharon was going to sit there and only take that. For those of us that have followed his career closer than he ever did I'm pretty sure Ozzy contributed almost nothing to the song writing on stuff like The Ultimate Sin when at that time he was in some of the deepest of his fucked up times. There is literally footage of him watching the video to The Ultimate Sin single and he says he has no memory of it at all.

Ozzy had a unique voice back in the day and I think wrote maybe half or a third of some good vocal melodies. He contributed way way less to his canon than someone like Dave Lee Roth who was writing lyrics and vocal melodies but his crook wife managed to steal it for him.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              We know this. We just don’t want you Libtards pushing their agenda on us. They bring enough attention to themselves, they don’t need you dopes shining a spotlight on them too. Next thing you fuckheads will be seeking reparations for them.
              Well I have a feeling a lot of cuntservatives have repped drag queens....

I mean Travista Trittens looks like a fucking tranny who doth protest too much...

Oh HYYYIIII fellahs! Why won't Bud Light put my picture on a promotional only can not for sale. Tho bummed!
              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-15-2023, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Jake E Lee's first gig.

To expect someone to go directly from playing in bars to this is nuts, spoiler alert he nails it. Ozzy a little less so...

I'm surprised Judas Priest were above Ozzy on the bill.

I'm not surprised at all. Ozzy was a solo act and yes an accomplished one, but JP had been around for a while...

Rob Halford walkin' in like a boss...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  And 250 000 people have a complete gaydar failure...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

We can be pretty much sure that all the music and lyrics on the Ozzy albums that made Ozzy's post Sabbath career i.e. the first 3 or 4 albums were all written by Bob Daisley and Randy Rhodes/Jake E Lee.

The maximum that Ozzy contributed would be some of the vocal melodies. Vocal melodies are often very important and if the music is written first difficult to do but moneywise 1/3rd of the royalties and there was no way Sharon was going to sit there and only take that. For those of us that have followed his career closer than he ever did I'm pretty sure Ozzy contributed almost nothing to the song writing on stuff like The Ultimate Sin when at that time he was in some of the deepest of his fucked up times. There is literally footage of him watching the video to The Ultimate Sin single and he says he has no memory of it at all.

Ozzy had a unique voice back in the day and I think wrote maybe half or a third of some good vocal melodies. He contributed way way less to his canon than someone like Dave Lee Roth who was writing lyrics and vocal melodies but his crook wife managed to steal it for him.
                    It's true that Ozzy seemed to be at his best when he had a bass player who could write lyrics. Specifically Geezer Butler or Bob Daisley. In the Sabbath days, it seems to me that Ozzy might have attempted some early lyrics... maybe just singing whatever popped into his head, in order to get the vocal melodies down, and then Geezer would "fix" the lyrics after that. Or at least that's how I interpret this....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Which, if you look at the musical and lyrical content post-No More Tears - which I think was the last album Daisley was involved with - none of Ozzy's lyrics going forward from that album were in the same vein as the first 6 Ozzy solo albums. Bolsters the generally accepted notion that the music and lyrics of Ozzy's earliest/definitive solo albums had little to nothing to do with Ozzy.

Granted, it was Ozzy's name established during the Black Sabbath years that gave the first solo record publicity prior to the album's release - when virtually nobody knew who Daisley, Rhoads or Kerslake were - but it was the music (including, obviously, the lyrics and vocal melodies/delivery) that carried it through. Pissing on the Alamo and biting the dead bat onstage were part of the media blitz, but it's the tunes that resonate.

I seem to recall at one point during the 1990s, perhaps when the Ozzy catalog was being reissued on CD during the period when Daisley's and Kerslake's performance contributions were being recorded over by other musicians, that the credits on the Bark At The Moon CD said all music and lyrics by Ozzy Osbourne...as if Ozzy could even play the most rudimentary stuff on a guitar (much less 'write' a tune like Bark At The Moon).
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

And 250 000 people have a complete gaydar failure...
                        Look, Halford kept it so well hidden back in those days one could hardly be blamed for not picking up on it.

I mean, a guy wearing a Village People biker costume (complete with riding crop) and singing songs such as Hell Bent For Leather on albums such as Point Of Entry and Ram It Down...it all screamed masculine and butch.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          I'm not surprised at all. Ozzy was a solo act and yes an accomplished one, but JP had been around for a while...

Plus I think in 1983 circa US Fest time JP was riding high off of Screaming For Vengeance, whereas Ozzy's last studio album was already...what...nearly two years old? Plus, after the completion of the Diary dates that Brad Gillis played in 1982, Ozzy released the Speak Of The Devil live album - an album of Sabbath oldies - and Bark At The Moon hadn't been released yet; it wasn't a given in the summer of 1983 that Ozzy was going to continue to have a successful solo career.

But, yeah, Jake E. Lee acquitted himself well at the US Fest. Hell of a first gig with Ozzy in terms of a debut, eh?
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Look, Halford kept it so well hidden back in those days one could hardly be blamed for not picking up on it.

I mean, a guy wearing a Village People biker costume (complete with riding crop) and singing songs such as Hell Bent For Leather on albums such as Point Of Entry and Ram It Down...it all screamed masculine and butch.
                            It did give me a lot of faith in humanity that when Halford finally officially came out in the late 90s, the metal community didn't attempt to cancel him. People generally didn't care and supported him for it. I think it made a lot of homophobic people think twice and go, "Wait a minute, why should I care? Good for him."

Society and people progress when it comes to acceptance. When I was a teenager in the early 90s, I was an idiot. I would make stupid homophobic jokes and go on about how disgusting it was. Then, one late night on Canadian T.V., I was switching around and started watching a documentary that the Dead Kennedys singer, Jello Biafra, had recommended...called THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK. I watched the whole film, found it fascinating and very tragic. And I thought, "Who gives a damn if someone is gay? Why treat people remotely differently just because they're gay?" Since then, it's been a non-issue for me.

The sad thing is, with the far-right push, homophobia seems to have gotten WORSE the last handful of years.
                            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                              It did give me a lot of faith in humanity that when Halford finally officially came out in the late 90s, the metal community didn't attempt to cancel him. People generally didn't care and supported him for it. I think it made a lot of homophobic people think twice and go, "Wait a minute, why should I care? Good for him."

Society and people progress when it comes to acceptance. When I was a teenager in the early 90s, I was an idiot. I would make stupid homophobic jokes and go on about how disgusting it was. Then, one late night on Canadian T.V., I was switching around and started watching a documentary that the Dead Kennedys singer, Jello Biafra, had recommended...called THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK. I watched the whole film, found it fascinating and very tragic. And I thought, "Who gives a damn if someone is gay? Why treat people remotely differently just because they're gay?" Since then, it's been a non-issue for me.

The sad thing is, with the far-right push, homophobia seems to have gotten WORSE the last handful of years.
                              My reaction when Halford came out in the late 90s was "he's gay? well, I suppose that explains why he was never publicly in a relationship with a woman"...then shrugged and went about my biz, and Halford's disclosure didn't diminish my liking for JP music one iota.

I recall making jokes about "queers/gays/homos" with my school chums in the 70s/80s when I was in grade school through high school. It was just what we did. The worst insult you could call a boy back then was "fag/faggot/queerbait"...by the 1990s, seemingly fewer and fewer people gave a shit. But back when I was a kid in the 1970s, the conventional wisdom about gay men was they were all pedophiles looking to abduct little boys and molest them, and if by the 8th grade as a young man you hadn't "gotten laid" yet with a girl (or at least lied about it) there was something wrong with you and you might as well suck a cock because you were doomed to be a queer forever. Oh, and back then every female gym teacher was obviously a "dyke"...

But hopefully one eventually grows up and stops getting bothered about what other people do sexually, because who gives a shit?
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Halford has said since that the leather thing was never his bag and KK Downing claimed it was mostly his idea. And most of the supposed gay-themes like "Hell Bent For Leather" weren't as Halford only wrote two songs about his sexual orientation and none of them are major songs you think....

But yeah I wasn't shocked when he came out, I don't think most were...

Comment

Working...