Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

People get old. I’m not expecting some rock and roller in their 70’s to be good. A few can pull it off.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• silverfish
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Terry
      ...before they hooked up with the likes of Desmond Child ...
      I realize that's a dig but I'll still probably read this (or borrow if my library gets it) when it comes out:

Livin' On A Prayer: Big Songs Big Life

Figure it'll have a coupla good stories.
      Originally posted by sadaist
      I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

You know, back when Aerosmith were still cool...before they hooked up with the likes of Desmond Child and John Kalodner.
        Have no interest in an Aerosmith tour. As much as I like the Black Crowes, I'm not going to watch the Robinson brothers with a bunch of other guys. If it was a reunion of the Southern Harmony era band, sure. Or even if Steve Gorman was included, but after his book, I'm pretty sure the brothers don't want anything to do with him.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

And who knows what will happen to Tyler between now and January, a relapse? Decent tickets lower bowl are around $500. each here that's a $1,000 just for tickets to see a 70 year old attempt at Karaoke, I considered it for a second and then I came back to my senses.
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
            I realize that's a dig but I'll still probably read this (or borrow if my library gets it) when it comes out:

Livin' On A Prayer: Big Songs Big Life

Figure it'll have a coupla good stories.
            I'd opt for borrowing it were I of the mind to read it at all.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              People get old. I’m not expecting some rock and roller in their 70’s to be good. A few can pull it off.
              I'm not expecting rock and rollers in their 70's to be good, either.

Thus, I'm not shelling out more money for tickets to see them now (and I'm talking far more money than I paid to see them back in the day even when adjusted upward for inflation) when they're not as good. Because it's not worth more to me to see a band that isn't as good as they were forty years ago. Matters not, because there's no shortage of - as you say - nostalgia drunk idol worshippers who are willing to keep paying whatever to see these old rock and rollers, because "it may be the last time" or whatnot.

I'd sooner give Rock In A Hard Place a spin than feather Aerosmith's retirement nest...mostly because I think RIAHP is a great album (I'll take just about any track on that offering over the best of what Aerosmith came up with post-Done With Mirrors).
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Many can to an extent, but it depends on the length of tour and venues....

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Thus, I'm not shelling out more money for tickets to see them now (and I'm talking far more money than I paid to see them back in the day even when adjusted upward for inflation) when they're not as good.
                  This is the thing for me, it's one thing to shell out $40 as something to do but not $400.

I would much rather go and see Steel Panther play to a crowd of 2000 for $50 than Aerosmith play to 16000 for $500.

I haven't seen Aerosmith since the 9 Lives tour and I think I vowed never again after that.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    This is the thing for me, it's one thing to shell out $40 as something to do but not $400.

I would much rather go and see Steel Panther play to a crowd of 2000 for $50 than Aerosmith play to 16000 for $500.

I haven't seen Aerosmith since the 9 Lives tour and I think I vowed never again after that.
                    Which, I mean, I'm not being a codger or crying poor or whatever...like, a year/year and a half ago, Missus Terry wanted to see KISS. Can't say as I had any interest myself - I wouldn't have opted to see them - but she'd never seen them before, blah blah blah. Tickets worked out to be something like $65 a pop after all the fees and whatnot. Fine. I know it's not the 1980's anymore; upwards of $100 a pop is to be expected. We saw Garth Brooks a year ago, paid maybe $100/$125 a pop. Fine.

$400 or $500 or $1k a pop for tix? Yeah, financially I COULD meet those prices and not have to jerk off to feed the cat afterwards in terms of breaking the bank, but as I said there ain't nobody left performing worth it to me to see if the tix are at those prices. I'd sooner go down to the local Asian Massage Parlor Rub Hut and get several nuttings for that kind of dough.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Twenty seconds in Nikki does his signature 'play the bass with both hands in the air' move.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

John 5 defends Sixx

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Most I've ever agreed with Trunk. Get the dancers to stop dancing at the chorus and sing then.

He misses a key point too that because Tommy Lee is playing to a click track that can pull all the energy out of the performance.

Also both of Nikki Sixx hands are up so I don't get how he played even open string notes but I guess it could maybe be a video sync issue.

How many parts of a Crue set have sirens and keyboards that have to be on a tape - why not have an off or preferably onstage keyboard guy dealing with that?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is John 5 wearing black contact lenses in the still on that YouTube?

He seems a nice enough guy and a great player but there is something a bit 'Tryhard' about his image.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Is John 5 wearing black contact lenses in the still on that YouTube?

He seems a nice enough guy and a great player but there is something a bit 'Tryhard' about his image.
                              J5 is a great dude. In his defense on the "Tryhard" issue. He's always been a hired gun. A gun slinger so to speak. I think a lot of these guitarists that have made it big as hired guns, are this way. I think Vai, Satch and a lot of the hired guns try too hard. The biggest difference is Vai and Satch had at least one solo album that made it pretty big. That makes it a little easier for them. I will give Vai credit in the fact that he seems to have accepted his role as a solo artist playing theatres and mid sized venues, for the most part. Which for me, is much more appealing than arenas and stadiums anyway. J5 never had that solo album that blew up. He's released some great stuff, but it's never been a hit to the masses. It will be interesting to hear the new stuff he is recording with Motley. While I think his guitar parts will be great, I don't hold out much hope that anything earth shattering is going to come out. Motley Crue's best days are behind them.

I totally agree with Trunk on live music being live. I also agree that this prerecorded bullshit could kill rock music. I fucking hate this need for these bands to sound perfect live. If I want to listen to the album, I'll listen to the fucking album. I go to a live show to see musicians play live. If they miss a note, so what. They are taking the heart and soul out of the live show. They are no fucking better than Milli Vanili (Nickdboybandlovers favorite band) or Britney Spears or any of these other lip syncing frauds. I love the charm of a live show. If it's not live, there is no point in even going anymore. I don't do FaceBook so I'm sure as hell not going to live shows just so I can post on FB that I was there. Fucking people these days go to these shows more for social media purposes, than they do the live music. What a shame.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                I don't do FaceBook so I'm sure as hell not going to live shows just so I can post on FB that I was there. Fucking people these days go to these shows more for social media purposes, than they do the live music. What a shame.
                                I only take a few pics at shows. Why bother recording the whole show? Everyone else is!

I have a knack for buying a ticket behind a taller person anyways...
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...