X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Odd thing about Garth Brooks - at least back in his 90s heyday - was that he was working with two entirely different bands. One for the records & one for the road. I'm assuming the studio musicians were on the payroll of either the producer or Capitol Nashville records. His live band always recreated the songs as good or better than the album versions. You definitely knew Garth wasn't using tracks.... though his live album probably had a few overdubs on it, based on the fact that a few of the songs sounded considerably different than the actual live versions heard in concert.
    It was a good show...LOT of musicians onstage, but the sound was spectacular in terms of the mix (keeping in mind this was an outdoor stadium I saw him in) and as near as I can tell everything was being played live by the musicians onstage.

Like I said, I wasn't a particular fan, but I was impressed. Guy did upwards of 2 & 1/2 hours: a LOT of songs and not an overabundance of in-between song patter, either.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
      I hope they are paying J5 well. I assume they are. He looks pretty happy.
      He's gone pro on us. No more Beachland shows! lol
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Vince Neil: Too F A T for love??

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Didn't look like they were packing 'em in like sardines in Sao Paulo, audience-wise.

At least Neil managed a stroll across the stage without stumbling or falling off it; with that diminished metric of success, Tubby is hurtling the lowered bar.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

That's liver damage not all out F A T

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

How far has Robert Fripp fallen from grace recently? Still, even he plays it better.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Didn't look like they were packing 'em in like sardines in Sao Paulo, audience-wise.

At least Neil managed a stroll across the stage without stumbling or falling off it; with that diminished metric of success, Tubby is hurtling the lowered bar.
                “This was a show for a much smaller venue”, said a friend as soon as we passed through the access gate to Allianz Parque. That’s because the audience at the stadium to witness what was most likely the last time Def Leppard and Mötley Crüe will ever play in Brazil was around 10,000 people, including all sections with tickets on sale. “I’ve seen B series soccer games gather a lot more people”, he added.
                I see the upper sections blocked off, wonder if they ever went on sale or were covered up after weak sales.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Billy Sheehan Wasn't on DLR 'Skyscraper' Tour — But His Voice Was

Veteran bassist Billy Sheehan wasn't on the road with David Lee Roth during the singer's Skyscraper tour —
                  but his vocals were.

The four-string virtuoso, who played on Roth's 1986 full-length solo debut Eat 'Em and Smile and 1988's
                  Skyscraper, said pre-recorded backing tracks were one of his final points of contention before exiting the
                  band in 1988.

"My last moments with David Lee Roth [were] in the studio," Sheehan told I'm Music Magazine. "We
                  sang all the background vocals for the Skyscraper tour to be on samples for them to use live, which
                  went against my grain to start with. And later that day, I had the meeting which ended my relationship
                  with Dave. Fortunately, I did not go out on that tour with fake vocals. I did sing on that tour, but I did it
                  digitally. I'm very, very much against faking it."

Full story at:
                  Billy Sheehan discussed his misgivings about David Lee Roth using pre-recorded backing vocals on the 'Skyscraper' tour in a March 2023 interview.
                  Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Wow I didn't know it went back that far.

Maybe they should have also used tapes of his bass too, I remember Matt Bissonette ducked every difficult bit of Sheehan playing on that tour.... A bit disappointing.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I agree with Sheehan. I'm sick of all these bands faking it. If I want to listen to the record, I'll listen to the fucking record. They're taking all the charm of a live show, out of the live show.

Comment

• silverfish
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2007

Mötley Crüe Fake Playing Live, Guitarist Mick Mars Claims In Profits Participation Suit Against Band

According to a profits participation filing this week (read it here) by the 71-year-old six-stringer today
                        in LA Superior Court, Nikki Sixx, Vince Neil and Tommy Lee fake playing and singing their songs while
                        on tour. The allegation from the ankylosing spondylitis-suffering Mars not only puts the self-described
                        “world’s most notorious band” in a very uncomfortable spotlight, but may also not go down so well
                        with the millions of fans paying Sixx, Neil, Lee and new touring guitarist John 5 big bucks to see
                        them on tour this year.

Although Mars had indicated that the 12 U.S. stadium dates would be his last shows while touring,
                        the 12 anticipated shows ultimately expanded to 36 shows, and Mars performed at every single
                        one of them, in constant pain. Sixx’s gaslighting came to a crescendo during the stadium tour,
                        when he, knowing that this was Mars’s last tour as a result of his increasingly painful and debilitating
                        AS, and apparently already plotting to force him out of the band and take his shares, repeatedly told
                        Mars that he was playing the wrong chords, and that fans were complaining about his playing.

Astonishingly, Sixx made these claims about Mars’s playing while he (Sixx) did not play a single note
                        on bass during the entire U.S. tour. Ironically, 100% of Sixx’s bass parts were nothing but recordings.
                        Sixx was seen fist pumping in the air with his strumming hand, while the bass part was playing. In fact,
                        a significant portion of Neil’s vocals were also pre-recorded. Even some of Lee’s drum parts were
                        recordings. Some fans actually noticed that Lee was walking toward his drum set as they heard
                        his drum part begin.

Full story at:
                        Originally posted by sadaist
                        I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

What was the point of hiring John Lowery if they were just going to fake it with tapes? They could have pulled a KISS move and sent a roadie out on stage, dressed up like Mick Mars.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think his point is that he was the only one actually performing live all the time. Sixx was miming all bass parts, vocals were helped probably fading in at out and some of the drumming was helped as per the initial post of this thread.

Remember it is in a legal document he's saying this so he must be confident they can't deny it/sue him.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                              I agree with Sheehan. I'm sick of all these bands faking it. If I want to listen to the record, I'll listen to the fucking record. They're taking all the charm of a live show, out of the live show.
                              It's not even just old rock geezers anymore, but bands/acts of all ages and all genres faking it. Lip-synching bullshit.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

It's really sad. From what I understand, Crue's last REAL tour (the farewell thingy) went very well. The shows were apparently good. Then they come back and do pathetic double and triple-billings, eventually losing the only guitarist they ever had and literally playing to tapes. I thought the whole point of their farewell tour was that they wanted to go out while they "could still kick ass"? Now, they're an industry embarrassment.
                                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...