Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The band that owned Sunday at the 83 US Festival was The Scorpions. That was the best band. People were actually leaving during Van Halen.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

But shit was that ever a long day. I actually had more fun in Newport Beach the following week than I did at the US Festival.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        Sixx was on platform shoes, fake wigs and makeup. It was like a low budget KISS rip off.
        Yeah, at least Ki$$ wore real wigs.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Shit there was so much going on in the 80’s there was more to grab your interest than Motely Crue but they were good at selling the bad boy image. Alice Cooper just about drank himself to death and he was in pretty rough shape in the early 80’s. I have a lot of friends in Scottsdale. Alice and his wife are highly liked there. I watched Alice play a golf tournament back in the 90’s.
          Alice broke out of alcoholism simply by going to the same bars and drinking Coke or Pepsi or whatever to keep up his social side while doing away with the booze (when at home not on tour). And I have also heard he's a good dude. But seeing old footage of Alice doing morning interviews with a can of Bud in his hand are still priceless...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The band that owned Sunday at the 83 US Festival was The Scorpions. That was the best band. People were actually leaving during Van Halen.
            To be fair Van Halen was the late act...

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Shit there was so much going on in the 80’s there was more to grab your interest than Motely Crue but they were good at selling the bad boy image. Alice Cooper just about drank himself to death and he was in pretty rough shape in the early 80’s. I have a lot of friends in Scottsdale. Alice and his wife are highly liked there. I watched Alice play a golf tournament back in the 90’s.
              Cooper's career had pretty much peaked in the mid-1970's and, as you say, he wasn't doing much by the time the US Fest took place. When [Cooper] was name-checked in press articles in 1983/1984 as an influence on Motley Crue I was kinda like "oh, yeah, I remember that guy...what's he doing these days?" But as you said, Crue were just one of many rock bands selling a decent amount of records and getting airplay on MTV in the mid-80's. It probably wasn't until the Dr. Feelgood album, which was...what...1989/1990?...that I got a sense that Crue were still popular and getting more so than they were in the mid-1980's. By 1990, most of Crue's American rock (or 'hair metal') contemporaries were selling less than they had been 5 years earlier.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                Alice broke out of alcoholism simply by going to the same bars and drinking Coke or Pepsi or whatever to keep up his social side while doing away with the booze (when at home not on tour). And I have also heard he's a good dude. But seeing old footage of Alice doing morning interviews with a can of Bud in his hand are still priceless...
                Actually he moved to Arizona to get out of LA to dry out. He became very good friends with Glenn Campbell who by coincidence moved to the Phoenix area to get sober, so those two became really good friends and Alice married well. His wife gave him the ultimatum, the booze or me. When he hit bottom he was right there where Eddie Van Halen hit bottom if not worse. What drives many addicts to sober up is there is something in their life they don't want to lose, when it becomes clear they are going to lose it they get serious. The chums at the bar really aren't that important. Family usually is.

Anyways Alice and his wife are great people and he still puts on a good show and is worth seeing.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  Cooper's career had pretty much peaked in the mid-1970's and, as you say, he wasn't doing much by the time the US Fest took place. When [Cooper] was name-checked in press articles in 1983/1984 as an influence on Motley Crue I was kinda like "oh, yeah, I remember that guy...what's he doing these days?" But as you said, Crue were just one of many rock bands selling a decent amount of records and getting airplay on MTV in the mid-80's. It probably wasn't until the Dr. Feelgood album, which was...what...1989/1990?...that I got a sense that Crue were still popular and getting more so than they were in the mid-1980's. By 1990, most of Crue's American rock (or 'hair metal') contemporaries were selling less than they had been 5 years earlier.
                  He looked horrible. He looked like you dug up a corpse. But hell for his kind of a show maybe that's a good thing. Alice was in rough shape in the early 80's but rebounded when his song Poison was a hit and the Wayne's World movie got him back in the spotlight. I enjoy his radio show. Much better than Sammy Hagar's show.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Motley Crue got a lot of airplay and their antics got a lot of press. They had a good ballad too and the radio stations loved that shit. The Crue was getting noticed and that sold albums and put asses in seats and that's the game. The big money was being able to get on the radio and MTV a lot and they accomplished that. You can be stellar but with no promotion you will be nothing more than the favorite band to a handful of fans. You need good catchy songs and good videos. At least int the 80's you needed that. There's not radio like there was and not MTV. Nobody is listening or watching anymore.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      To be fair Van Halen was the late act...
                      True. They are also a major reason people went though. When you are out in a big field all day long getting sunburned and the final big band finally hits the stage after some lame ass Apple Computer UFO shit and the opening song sucks, you get really pissed.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Wozniak knew he needed a couple huge acts to make his three day festival work. It's why he offered the big drawing acts big money. Nobody was going to drive to San Bernardino to go see the smaller bands. Anyways looking back at it, festivals were silly. But when you are young and dumb it seems cool. At least you can say you were there.

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

True. They are also a major reason people went though. When you are out in a big field all day long getting sunburned and the final big band finally hits the stage after some lame ass Apple Computer UFO shit and the opening song sucks, you get really pissed.
                          The opening song didn't suck.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                            The opening song didn't suck.
                            Well maybe you see things different than Van Halen's manager who went and hid after seeing the opening and the people who were leaving early. To be honest, we should have started walking to the car. The people who left early were the smart ones. It did get better about halfway into it. Anyways it was filmed and not too much good footage of Dave era VH and that's why it is popular. The Scorpions blew VH out of the water. They were the best band that day.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-21-2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Well maybe you see things different than Van Halen's manager who went and hid after seeing the opening and the people who were leaving early. To be honest, we should have started walking to the car. The people who left early were the smart ones. It did get better about halfway into it. Anyways it was filmed and not too much good footage of Dave era VH and that's why it is popular. The Scorpions blew VH out of the water. They were the best band that day.
                              Lay off the dope, dope.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                I have zero interest in going to a stadium show ever again. In fact, I'm very close to being done with arenas too.
                                I am looking forward to Tool in the Fall!
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...