X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    There's still a risk with production costs. Dave might have to put up some money to get thing edited/produced and of course there is always the unflattering parts he might not want to remember or show. I'm sure Dave has his own vault but what is the market like for a DLR-EAS release at this point? My guess is decent, if Crue and Leppard can still tour I think there is a small profit in all this but it ain't going to be a top seller on Amazon or Netflix...
    Part of the reason nothing comes out of the VH/DLR camps is thinking in terms of the "old" music business and any release requires all this marketing and distribution logistics... or in other terms... someone to make it happen, with a huge paycheck, other than the lazy artist... That bullshit ship sailed and sank long time ago!

Someone with good video talent... like Shelly who did all that great work on the Roth shows could go through it, clean it up and deposit it on any formal web platform for download or streaming.

An artist who shares his work with nobody... remains a nobody... Dave should just share what he's got with what little time he has left.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Dave has always guarded his image. Maybe that live footage isn’t up to Dave’s level of quality. Maybe he views dwelling on the past as going backwards. Who knows.
      Don't be playin the Van Halen card... we, the fans, should not be enablers of such psychotic bullshit. It does not serve our interests...

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As far as I know, this is the only pro-shot video (short as it is) that exists in the "public space" from that era of Dave's career...

Presumably this is NOT the concert that Sheehan has the tape of, since he didn't play on the SkyCrapper tour.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Twenty years ago would have shelled out $100 easy for a professionally restored, official CVH live dvd set a la KISSOLOGY or what Zeppelin did in 2003. My money was there for the taking. Instead, the Van Halens wanted me to buy a coffee cup with an official, patented Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein stripe design.

I guess neither the Van Halens nor Roth either want or need my money anymore. Que sera sera.

Along the lines of what ZahZoo said re: Shelly, I've seen all types of CVH live video boots that had been originally traded on vhs (and were doubtless 100th generation copies) that have been cleaned up to a surprising degree by amateurs using home video hardware restoration kits. I can only imagine the clarity a professional restoration company could provide.

Don't know what the reasons were for not getting something like that done decades ago, much less now that Eddie has passed. But, hey, if it can't happen legitimately and all this shit continues to get dribbled out pirate-style, so be it. Seems retarded not try and monetize it, considering there's...what...a full-length 1978 set out there now, along with a full-length single cam videotaped 1981 show, Largo 1982, a few from South America 1983, US Fest 1983, Montreal 1984. And those are just some of what's out there on video, not even counting live audio boots.

Couple dozen cats got out of the bag way back when, some nearly 40 years ago, all of which are infinitely better than Tokyo Dome.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            Part of the reason nothing comes out of the VH/DLR camps is thinking in terms of the "old" music business and any release requires all this marketing and distribution logistics... or in other terms... someone to make it happen, with a huge paycheck, other than the lazy artist... That bullshit ship sailed and sank long time ago!

Someone with good video talent... like Shelly who did all that great work on the Roth shows could go through it, clean it up and deposit it on any formal web platform for download or streaming.

An artist who shares his work with nobody... remains a nobody... Dave should just share what he's got with what little time he has left.
            The other issue is that there isn't the material for a box set that could include something like this. But U2 has put out several "anniversary" edition albums where they include a 2nd live CD and 'good, better, best' packages that include a DVD or a complete CD live show. Dave could do something similar if they ever decided to remaster EAS but the window is closing....

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

We know, at the very least, that entire concerts were filmed professionally in 1979 & 1981, because videos were released from those concerts to air on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert... and later MTV. Now of course, there have been numerous claims that the entire concert from Oakland 1981 was "lost" years ago (I refuse to believe that somebody didn't save a copy... but even that person might be dead by now, depending on who it was). Never heard any claims one way or another on the 1979 footage. Then of course you have the US Festival. You have the South American show from 1983 which has only surfaced in really grainy bootleg forms, so far. The Largo show which was apparently recorded on the in-house video system. And the Donnington Festival from 1984, from which there's a version of "Hot For Teacher" that shows up on YouTube now and then, but otherwise, I don't know how widely circulated that is. There may be other "pro-shot" shows out there, but those are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Never was
                Foot Soldier
                • May 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Mike Savage who made the John 5 video VH montage can also clean up effectively. These guys just do not have the same nostalgia for this stuff fans do

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  The other issue is that there isn't the material for a box set that could include something like this. But U2 has put out several "anniversary" edition albums where they include a 2nd live CD and 'good, better, best' packages that include a DVD or a complete CD live show. Dave could do something similar if they ever decided to remaster EAS but the window is closing....
                  You're still thinking in terms of the "old" record company perspective... but let's peel this back a bit.

What does U2 have that Diamond Dave does not..?

Material? There's enough for maybe 1 box set from EAS... possibly if the ownership rights to any live shows and unreleased material isn't in some sort of legal mess because no one managed it when it was captured or preserved it since.

That's a huge question and potentially the major road block for anything related to Dave's solo career. We assume all this business stuff is safely stored in good order by some legal firm or management company Dave did or does business with. But... look at how many entities have come and gone within that realm over the years that no longer handle DLR business. Who the hell knows what's been lost across Dave's career with bridges burned and relationships that have soured..?

Comment

Working...