X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Hmmmm. Valerie said Ed’s favorite food was an Indonesian chicken dish his mom would make. She made it on some cooking show. Mrs. Van Halen said if you are going to marry my son, you need to learn how to cook his favorite food. Sammy’s spaghetti was not mentioned.
    Sammy makes Velveeta and Spam tacos!

Maybe he would have made Ed this:
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-29-2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Well Ed is gone. He left us all with something to appreciate and enjoy. People who knew him said he didn’t like all the attention. He really just wanted to be treated like a normal guy. Ed was known to do little acts of kindness for people if he knew you needed a hand up or someone to be there for you. One person said when his dad passed away, Ed was the first to call and be there for him. Sure he struggled with drugs, booze and cigarettes. Those things shortened his life. The man had his faults but under all that people who knew him said he was a nice guy who cared for people who really needed help but he was under the pressures of being a rock god all the time and he didn’t like being a rock god. At the end of the day, if your real friends and family love you, that’s all that matters. That’s who’s going to be there for you when you are dying in the hospital.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

As far as Sammy goes he’s an opportunist. He’s a salesman. Some say he’s a success story because he came from poverty and now he’s in his 70’s seeming to have the time of his life and more successful than ever. My question is, sure, Sam made scratch but is it good art? As they say, art is subjective. In my opinion, Sam sucks.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Sam is the Joel Olsteen of rock and roll.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well Ed is gone. He left us all with something to appreciate and enjoy. People who knew him said he didn’t like all the attention. He really just wanted to be treated like a normal guy. Ed was known to do little acts of kindness for people if he knew you needed a hand up or someone to be there for you. One person said when his dad passed away, Ed was the first to call and be there for him. Sure he struggled with drugs, booze and cigarettes. Those things shortened his life. The man had his faults but under all that people who knew him said he was a nice guy who cared for people who really needed help but he was under the pressures of being a rock god all the time and he didn’t like being a rock god. At the end of the day, if your real friends and family love you, that’s all that matters. That’s who’s going to be there for you when you are dying in the hospital.
            I love Ed, even if at times it was a love and not-love-as-much thing at certain times. He was a good guy by all accounts and if you read Noel Monk's book Ed was the only member of the band Noel truly liked and had any sort thing he would consider a personal relationship with. He was sweet and sensitive and raging and sinewy tough all on the same day. I wouldn't say he didn't like attention, I think he only liked work-related attention and the dependance issues were a combination of genetics (from his father mainly) and a coping mechanism. I think he once pulled an AK-47 on Fred Durst, which only makes him greater, other than the fact he didn't pull the trigger....

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

It was an Uzi. Ed collected guns as did his dad. I don't know if it was class 3 or one of the semi-auto jobs but yeah he pulled it on Durst. Ed hired some roofers to fix the roof on 5150. Ed opened the garage door on the end of 5150 and some of those roofer guys saw that door was unlocked and the garage was full of amps and stuff. Ed had the feeling he shouldn't have opened the door and let those guys see. Anyways sure enough, some of them broke into the property and headed for the garage door and Ed met them with an Uzi in his hands. He marched them off the property at gun point. This story is in the book Eruption in the Canyon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It was an Uzi. Ed collected guns as did his dad. I don't know if it was class 3 or one of the semi-auto jobs but yeah he pulled it on Durst. Ed hired some roofers to fix the roof on 5150. Ed opened the garage door on the end of 5150 and some of those roofer guys saw that door was unlocked and the garage was full of amps and stuff. Ed had the feeling he shouldn't have opened the door and let those guys see. Anyways sure enough, some of them broke into the property and headed for the garage door and Ed met them with an Uzi in his hands. He marched them off the property at gun point. This story is in the book Eruption in the Canyon.
                I would think Ed would've had a state of the art security system there with CCTV, ahem, Wolfie if you don't PM me! But yeah workmen can be scum, in the 90's some tried to burglarize the guy next to my parents because they heard at the bar he was often gone and lived downtown and the house was vacant. He happened to be staying there when they broke in and they all got busted....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Ed had security but I think it needed to be upgraded. Dave Bertinelli told me 5150 actually was the house Valerie lived in when Ed married her. It’s got a separate road access His older brother Drew remodeled the home into a rehearsal space. It never was intended to be a studio you made albums in. Val had to get up early and having Ed and Al practicing in the house was too much so the old house became practice space and Ed’s man cave. Anyways it’s several lots with several buildings with a pretty big perimeter. Out in the more remote areas of the property I think it’s just chain link fencing. I’ve been up there. It’s in kind of a ratty looking area of Coldwater Canyon Road off a hairpin turn. You go up this driveway in dire need of repaving and Ed’s house was the one with the big ornate gate. Once you got up to the house it was nice but the road going up there is junky looking and the entrance to the subdivision has a few mailboxes but it’s unkempt and junky looking. Some parts of the Hollywood Hills are junky looking and for the taxes people pay there the roads shouldn’t be all cracked up due to lack of maintenance. I wasn’t too impressed with the area actually. Bel Air and Holmby Hills are nice but the backside where Ed lives is kind of ratty.

Comment

• Never was
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2012

Good news Sam likely to dead next given his age.

His life was spent promoting himself on what other people built and using others talent for his own gain. He road others in Montrose, in Van Halen, and his entire schtick since is I was Van Halen. When Ed was so fucked up that even Dave passed till he was sober there was Sam for a tour, then make more money with a book airing the dirty laundry like he was a victim when using Ed, then bad mouthing every opportunity once VH was back w Dave, in 2018 was telling interviews he would likely be making music with Ed again despite knowing Ed was sick and now tells lies and using a corpse to remind all of his relevance.

Just a total piece of shit who should pass away soon

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      I love Ed, even if at times it was a love and not-love-as-much thing at certain times. He was a good guy by all accounts and if you read Noel Monk's book Ed was the only member of the band Noel truly liked and had any sort thing he would consider a personal relationship with. He was sweet and sensitive and raging and sinewy tough all on the same day. I wouldn't say he didn't like attention, I think he only liked work-related attention and the dependance issues were a combination of genetics (from his father mainly) and a coping mechanism. I think he once pulled an AK-47 on Fred Durst, which only makes him greater, other than the fact he didn't pull the trigger....
                      I will never forgive Ed for 1996 though. Maybe that wasn't all his fault but certainly he was a major factor.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Never was
                        Good news Sam likely to dead next given his age.

His life was spent promoting himself on what other people built and using others talent for his own gain. He road others in Montrose, in Van Halen, and his entire schtick since is I was Van Halen. When Ed was so fucked up that even Dave passed till he was sober there was Sam for a tour, then make more money with a book airing the dirty laundry like he was a victim when using Ed, then bad mouthing every opportunity once VH was back w Dave, in 2018 was telling interviews he would likely be making music with Ed again despite knowing Ed was sick and now tells lies and using a corpse to remind all of his relevance.

Just a total piece of shit who should pass away soon
                        Unfortunately, Hagar's in that same category with Henry Kissinger... he'll probably live forever because Satan don't want him either.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• MasonL
                          Groupie
                          • May 2022

Ed had security but I think it needed to be upgraded. Dave Bertinelli told me 5150 actually was the house Valerie lived in when Ed married her. It’s got a separate road access His older brother Drew remodeled the home into a rehearsal space. It never was intended to be a studio you made albums in. Val had to get up early and having Ed and Al practicing in the house was too much so the old house became practice space and Ed’s man cave. Anyways it’s several lots with several buildings with a pretty big perimeter. Out in the more remote areas of the property I think it’s just chain link fencing. I’ve been up there. It’s in kind of a ratty looking area of Coldwater Canyon Road off a hairpin turn. You go up this driveway in dire need of repaving and Ed’s house was the one with the big ornate gate. Once you got up to the house it was nice but the road going up there is junky looking and the entrance to the subdivision has a few mailboxes but it’s unkempt and junky looking. Some parts of the Hollywood Hills are junky looking and for the taxes people pay there the roads shouldn’t be all cracked up due to lack of maintenance. I wasn’t too impressed with the area actually. Bel Air and Holmby Hills are nice but the backside where Ed lives is kind of ratty.
                          I never liked 5150. It marked the end of Classic Van Halen in my book. In 1984 Ed hadn't tried to seize total control of the band by that point. Everything was better when they were using Marshall amps in somebody else's studio space.

Comment

• Silexxx
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Sep 2010

Sammy Hagar has once again weighed in on the proposed all-star VAN HALEN tribute concert, saying it would be "fantastic" to play with Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony again. No progress has been reported on a possible VAN HALEN tribute show since April when former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted r...

During an appearance earlier today (Wednesday, November 2) on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk", Hagar was asked if there have been further developments about a VAN HALEN tribute concert in recent weeks. He responded (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "As far as I know, [there has been] nothing. There was that talk everybody heard about Jason being the bass player and Joe Satriani playing guitar and Alex and all that. Then I got the call from the management, I got the call from Irving Azoff, [who] said, 'Hey, you wanna do, you and Mike and Al with a superstar guitar player?' I said, 'I'll do anything with Al and Mike and play music with people, but it's not gonna be VAN HALEN. There is no VAN HALEN; I don't care what anyone says. Wolfie is VAN HALEN, okay?" he said, referencing Eddie's son Wolfgang, who replaced Michael in VAN HALEN back in 2007. "And he doesn't wanna be the VAN HALEN copy band. I don't blame him; he's doing a great job on his own stuff, and it's very cool when he jams a little bit here and there. He's VAN HALEN, and if he wanted to play guitar with Al and Mikey and myself, I would love to do that. That would be just one time for the big time. Not like, 'Okay, let's go out and tour the world and make records.' No, no, no, no. There is no VAN HALEN, but to play with Al and Mike and a great guitar player for some event — almost like the event that [FOO FIGHTERS leader] Dave Grohl put on for Taylor [Hawkins], something like that would be fantastic. But other than that, no."

When interviewer Eddie Trunk brought up Wolfgang's recent interview in which Van Halen heavily hinted that David Lee Roth is the hold-up in realizing an Eddie Van Halen tribute concert, Sammy said: "It ain't just one guy. Alex Van Halen and I don't talk. I reached out to Alex. I'm gonna tell you right now — I reached out to Alex again recently. Mikey had a sad thing happen in his family, and I reached out to Al, and he wouldn't return my call or my e-mail. And so I said, 'You know what? Fuck it. It's not on the top of my list, my agenda. I think Eddie deserves, definitely, a tribute… And the whole world would show up and the whole world would do it.

"I don't know why people put it on Roth," Sammy continued. "I don't talk to Dave. And if he did it, he'd wanna do it without me. I'm sure that's part of the dysfunction that Wolfie's talking about. I'll make a statement that I don't know is true or not, but what do you wanna bet that he goes, 'I will only do it if Hagar's not there.' And if that were the case, that's typical Roth, and that's part of the dysfunction. It's not like he controls it; it's just [that] he doesn't play well with others. And like I said, if Alex came to me and wanted to do it, I'm in. Absolutely — let's go [and] do it somehow. But Alex has got a stick up his ass about something with me still, and he's gonna take it to his grave, I guess. [I made peace with Eddie before he died but] I don't think I made peace with Al. And I don't think I'm going to unless he reaches back out to me. I've done it about five times now."

Hagar clarified: "I'm not trying to start a feud between the two of us. But I love the guy, and I love VAN HALEN, what we did together… Al is the most stubborn Taurus. He's a Taurus, and he's the most stubborn Taurus. Tauruses are known for [being] stubborn. He's a Dutch Taurus, and he is the most stubborn, hard-headed guy you'll ever meet in your life. And he is tough to [break] down and to let go. Nope — he's holding on to something. And I just wish he wasn't like that. I love the guy. Like I've said a million times, Alex and I actually got along better than Ed and I at times. Through the hard times, Alex and I still got along. But I don't know what happened. Somebody poisoned him. Somebody told him something. Maybe he still doesn't like my book, which was the most honest thing I've ever done in my life. Some people just don't think that that should have been done."

Comment

• Silexxx
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Sep 2010

So now Alex hates him because Alex's a stubborn Taurus. Okay.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                                Hagar clarified: "I'm not trying to start a feud between the two of us."
                                Not starting a feud, you're prolonging it.

"But I don't know what happened. Somebody poisoned him. Somebody told him something."
                                You won't shut the fuck up!
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...