X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Well, except they DID have the Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi... in the sense that the record labels released "new" albums for a full decade after his death. And that's not even counting the later cash in done by his so-called "sister" who never even met him. At least she didn't replace the original band with studio musicians.

I expect Alex to handle whatever Van Halen material exists more responsibly than anyone connected to Hendrix did. It's been two years now, and nothing has been released, so that would indicate that Al's definitely not interested in making a quick buck off his dead brother, and that's a good thing in and of itself, of course. I wouldn't want to hear some fake album with Eddie's tracks cut & pasted into a new recording by studio musicians anyway. Fully intact songs & live recordings that were made by the full band, that's different. Hope we do see that one day, but that's up to Alex.
    Jimi is more popular now than he was alive. I talked to someone who saw Hendrix play a show at an amusement park in Utah. He was the opening act for the Monkeys. He said it sounded like shit because Jimi's speakers were already thrashed pretty good and it sounded like he was playing through thrashed speakers. No barricade and the audience was right up on the edge of a low stage. Today Jimi would have been mobbed by the audience. After the show the guy saw Jimi riding the roller coaster. No security or anything. Maybe Utah wasn't too crazy in the late 60's. Most the audience came to see The Monkee's and Hendrix was the side show.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I hate to say it but the Van Halen legacy could turn into a nasty family fight. Alex is the patriarch of the Van Halen franchise. He was a heavy drinker and smoker and that shaves your life short. I don't think he smokes or drinks now. But when Alex dies which might not be that far off (he lived Ed's lifestyle too) the franchise falls to Alex's wife who is Ray Daniel's sister and she's a piece of work. Once she is out of the picture it falls to Alex's children.

Then you have Wolfgang. He might think he is entitled to some of it. Van Halen was a legendary band. There's going to be an interest and demand for VH stuff for a long time. Control of the franchise is something people are going to fight over.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I wish Sam would stop breathing...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Hagar got in Van Halen because he and Ed had the same mechanic. The mechanic saw Eddie was bummed and when Eddie told him they lost Roth the mechanic said I have Sammy's number. So blame Claudio the mechanic. Ha! Ha! Ed Leffler Sammy's manager tried to talk Sammy out of joining Van Halen. Too bad Sammy didn't listen.
          Sam really needed that mechanic because he was a fucking douchebag that "couldn't drive 55" and couldn't drive a manual at all when that song came out. He broke the Ferrari's gear box and clutch because he's a fucking phony-baloney hag. Pity Claudio didn't slice his brake lines.....

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Maybe Claudio was fixing Sam’s fucking machine. His tight asshole and failure to use enough lube strained the motor and reciprocating parts and it broke down.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

I hate to say it but the Van Halen legacy could turn into a nasty family fight. Alex is the patriarch of the Van Halen franchise. He was a heavy drinker and smoker and that shaves your life short. I don't think he smokes or drinks now. But when Alex dies which might not be that far off (he lived Ed's lifestyle too) the franchise falls to Alex's wife who is Ray Daniel's sister and she's a piece of work. Once she is out of the picture it falls to Alex's children.

Then you have Wolfgang. He might think he is entitled to some of it. Van Halen was a legendary band. There's going to be an interest and demand for VH stuff for a long time. Control of the franchise is something people are going to fight over.
              The core of the legacy - and the only part of it that matters - is the music that was made. As long as the original recordings are still available to purchase/hear, the legacy as such is set.

Any feuding going forward - whatever form it takes - isn't going to tarnish the legacy if all the feuding over the last 25 years didn't.

Doubtless there may be issues over control of the VH catalog going forward. I can't really see where it matters who retains the rights over the catalog when Alex passes away. It certainly doesn't matter to me if Alex's wife or kids end up in a tussle with Wolfgang over the business aspects, because none of that is going to diminish my enjoyment of the Van Halen music I liked in the least...it's not as if I'm going to like the music less depending on which family members have control of the catalog.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Maybe Claudio was fixing Sam’s fucking machine. His tight asshole and failure to use enough lube strained the motor and reciprocating parts and it broke down.
                He didn't own that Ferrari, it was someone else's IIRC. He may have bought one after for his image and penis-extender. He probably only really started making that money with VOA during the 1984 era, but of course Van Hagar is where he made is real bank...

Upon further review, I think VOA was certified Platinum only AFTER he joined Ed, Mike and Al....
                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-05-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                  The core of the legacy - and the only part of it that matters - is the music that was made. As long as the original recordings are still available to purchase/hear, the legacy as such is set.

Any feuding going forward - whatever form it takes - isn't going to tarnish the legacy if all the feuding over the last 25 years didn't.

Doubtless there may be issues over control of the VH catalog going forward. I can't really see where it matters who retains the rights over the catalog when Alex passes away. It certainly doesn't matter to me if Alex's wife or kids end up in a tussle with Wolfgang over the business aspects, because none of that is going to diminish my enjoyment of the Van Halen music I liked in the least...it's not as if I'm going to like the music less depending on which family members have control of the catalog.
                  Yeah. We are only interested in the Roth era. That’s six albums. Van Halen had a horrible contract that gave Warner Brothers control of everything. Warners is a major media corporation that will be around. So not much for the Van Halen’s to fight over with that. It’s when the music catalog is up for grabs or the ownership rights are questionable that starts the fighting. Lot’s of bottom feeder lawyers looking to create a job for themselves. Usually the lawyers end up being the major beneficiaries of it all after they led a family member on a wild goose chase. Sometimes they get lucky and find something.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    He didn't own that Ferrari, it was someone else's IIRC. He may have bought one after for his image and penis-extender. He probably only really started making that money with VOA during the 1984 era, but of course Van Hagar is where he made is real bank...

Upon further review, I think VOA was certified Platinum only AFTER he joined Ed, Mike and Al....
                    Ferrari made a fucking machine? Makes sense. Sammy would love to ride a powerful horse cock.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I never even heard of Sammy Hagar until Thee Lock Box hit the airwaves. Sammy Hagar was a Night Ranger level act. A flavor of the week. Van Halen was legendary. Big difference but Sam found the opening and rammed himself in. Van Halen was fucked.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

I never even heard of Sammy Hagar until Thee Lock Box hit the airwaves. Sammy Hagar was a Night Ranger level act. A flavor of the week. Van Halen was legendary. Big difference but Sam found the opening and rammed himself in. Van Halen was fucked.
                        Which, not to quibble, but by all accounts the Van Halens approached Hagar after Dave left and asked him to come to 5150 studios for a jam and it was the Van Halens who then asked Hagar to join the band.

Unless I have the facts wrong.

That's not to say that Van Halen weren't fucked when Hagar joined, because they were, but as far as I remember Hagar didn't force himself into the group.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

In all honesty, I think I prefer what Night Ranger did with just two of their better-known songs (Don't Tell Me You Love Me and Sister Christian) than the entirety of Hagar's solo career.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                            Which, not to quibble, but by all accounts the Van Halens approached Hagar after Dave left and asked him to come to 5150 studios for a jam and it was the Van Halens who then asked Hagar to join the band.

Unless I have the facts wrong.

That's not to say that Van Halen weren't fucked when Hagar joined, because they were, but as far as I remember Hagar didn't force himself into the group.
                            Story is that Hagar dressed up in a suit and went down to 5150 to meet everyone and saw a shit hole. Empty pizza boxes, empty beer cans. Keep in mind Al was still heavily drinking around this time. I believe he quit around 1987.

But even witnessing the state they were in didnt deter Hagar from joining. Same dude who despite seeing how fucked Ed was in 2004 still went out on tour.

It was always about $$$$ for Sam.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• MasonL
                              Groupie
                              • May 2022

Yep. In his book Dave said Al was up to at least two six-packs a day. Ed had a personal coke dealer following him around. The Brothers were miserable, procrastinating drunks who wanted to wake up at noon everyday, noodle around in the studio and tap out. Perfect for Sam.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
                                Yep. In his book Dave said Al was up to at least two six-packs a day. Ed had a personal coke dealer following him around. The Brothers were miserable, procrastinating drunks who wanted to wake up at noon everyday, noodle around in the studio and tap out. Perfect for Sam.
                                By all accounts its somewhat of a miracle Van Hagar got off the ground in the first place. Dave probably thought the brothers are so fucked up they're not gonna do anything. Hence why he told Ed "maybe down the road we can get back together and do something."

Too bad they eventually did and it ended up selling.

But it was a watered down, castrated version of the band that catered more to fans who listened to Journey - ironically a band that CVH made fun of. But now they became just that.
                                Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 11-07-2022, 02:10 PM.
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...