Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasonL
    Groupie
    • May 2022

I've said it before, but they became much like their frontman like they did before with Dave. Only this time they took the lead of a lazy, mediocre, money-obsessed fruit loop who was in music for the fame and publicity. Not for the love of doing it. People think Dave didn't take it seriously because they hear him sing about Bottoms Up and Panama and a bunch of juvenile stuff. They totally miss the point.

One of my favorite Dave quotes was sometime around Eat 'Em in '86. He said, "we generate a lot of money from what we do, but the money never physically crosses my hands. We do it for the people you work with, the places you go and the memories you make along the way." Big difference in the motivation there. Which is sad because Ed always said he was never in it for the money. But then he signed on with a guy who was only about that shit.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
      I've said it before, but they became much like their frontman like they did before with Dave. Only this time they took the lead of a lazy, mediocre, money-obsessed fruit loop who was in music for the fame and publicity. Not for the love of doing it. People think Dave didn't take it seriously because they hear him sing about Bottoms Up and Panama and a bunch of juvenile stuff. They totally miss the point.

One of my favorite Dave quotes was sometime around Eat 'Em in '86. He said, "we generate a lot of money from what we do, but the money never physically crosses my hands. We do it for the people you work with, the places you go and the memories you make along the way." Big difference in the motivation there. Which is sad because Ed always said he was never in it for the money. But then he signed on with a guy who was only about that shit.
      The more logical thing Ed should've done is a solo album with various singers as he once thought. Only Al told him no.

But that's what should've happened.

Get all the shit out of his system with a solo album with clunkers that ended up on 5150; then reconvene with Dave by '87/'88 and continue.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

Hagar is the Trump of rock.

A mediocre imbecile who has managed to convince many other imbeciles that he has some redeeming qualities.

Comment

• Silexxx
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2010

In a new interview with Kyle Meredith, Sammy Hagar was asked about the status of the unreleased VAN HALEN ballad called "Between Us Two" which was originally recorded for the soundtrack to the 1996 blockbuster "Twister". The former VAN HALEN singer said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Everyon...

SAMMY HAGAR Says Unreleased VAN HALEN Song 'Between Us Two' Will Eventually See Light Of Day

"We've got it. It's done," he said. "It's in the archives. They'll find it. They're looking through the archives right now to try to remaster some of the old stuff from my era [with VAN HALEN]. And they'll find it. That's gonna be a treasure."

Blah.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If that song was worth a shit, they would have put it out in 2004, instead of "Upchuck Your Breakfast".
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Heater
              Foot Soldier
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Story is that Hagar dressed up in a suit and went down to 5150 to meet everyone and saw a shit hole. Empty pizza boxes, empty beer cans. Keep in mind Al was still heavily drinking around this time. I believe he quit around 1987.

But even witnessing the state they were in didnt deter Hagar from joining. Same dude who despite seeing how fucked Ed was in 2004 still went out on tour.

It was always about $$$$ for Sam.
              None of this about Sam is necessarily wrong but Dave seems to be getting a pass across things. Roth was first and foremost about being the center of attention, he found a band that helped him be just that. Money never touched Dave’s hands, he says, because he was rich enough to pay people to touch it for him. Roth had no problem going out on tour when Ed was in terrible shape either.
              Van Halen ended after the 1984 tour apparently. But, had Roth stayed, and Ed was still writing all the music, what would a Dave-helmed 5150 have sounded like? I wonder if it was Dave singing over the tracks on 5150, it would be looked down on the way it is by many here. Ruth’s most recognizable solo stuff is fairly Night Ranger-like too….ie “Going Crazy”, “ Just Like Paradise”, “Yankee Rose”.

Comment

• MasonL
                Groupie
                • May 2022

Originally posted by Heater
                None of this about Sam is necessarily wrong but Dave seems to be getting a pass across things. Roth was first and foremost about being the center of attention, he found a band that helped him be just that. Money never touched Dave’s hands, he says, because he was rich enough to pay people to touch it for him. Roth had no problem going out on tour when Ed was in terrible shape either.
                Van Halen ended after the 1984 tour apparently. But, had Roth stayed, and Ed was still writing all the music, what would a Dave-helmed 5150 have sounded like? I wonder if it was Dave singing over the tracks on 5150, it would be looked down on the way it is by many here. Ruth’s most recognizable solo stuff is fairly Night Ranger-like too….ie “Going Crazy”, “ Just Like Paradise”, “Yankee Rose”.
                The point about the money never touching his hands means that what you can physically see is what's important. The people you work with and just the love of doing the music. They clearly lost that without Roth when they became a sanitized corporate product with 5150. Everything since then was based on bottom dollar, not passion.

And c'mon, Ed was in much better condition in 07 than he was in 04. Not a high bar, but he wasn't completely off the rails. He was slowly pulling himself back together.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                  https://blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-...e-light-of-day

SAMMY HAGAR Says Unreleased VAN HALEN Song 'Between Us Two' Will Eventually See Light Of Day

"We've got it. It's done," he said. "It's in the archives. They'll find it. They're looking through the archives right now to try to remaster some of the old stuff from my era [with VAN HALEN]. And they'll find it. That's gonna be a treasure."

Blah.
                  LOL wow Hagar is really pulling out all the stops.

A week ago he says Alex hates him but now "they're looking through the archives to release stuff from my era....remasters.."

Alex doesn't want Sam to make another dime off of VH so he will do everything he can to not have any Van Hagar stuff released/re-released.

And I can't see WB wanting to invest any money on Van Hagar either. Sure the diehards will pick it up but you just have to look at the streaming stats for Van Hagar vs CVH and there's no comparison. If the market demanded Van Hagar then so be it but its not.
                  Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 11-10-2022, 11:07 AM.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• silverfish
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Mar 2007

They'll find it. They're looking through the archives right now to try to remaster some of the old stuff from my era [with VAN HALEN]. And they'll find it. That's gonna be a treasure."
                    This sounds exactly like something Trump would say.
                    "It's a great song, a beautiful song. And when they find this song, you'll love this song."

Blah is right....
                    Originally posted by sadaist
                    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                      This sounds exactly like something Trump would say.
                      "It's a great song, a beautiful song. And when they find this song, you'll love this song."

Blah is right....
                      It's gonna be YUGE
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Silexxx
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2010

According to Sammy Eddie was jealous of Sam's and Mike's bromance.

“Mikey is like my brother from another mother. So much so that back in the early Van Halen days, Eddie would get all jealous. Because Mike and I would get into these soulful conversations for hours, and Eddie would be on the outside looking in.

“And this was when we were all getting along great, not towards the end when our marriage fell apart. But even in the early days, Eddie would say, ‘Hey, I wanna hang out like you and Mike do.’ And I was like, ‘Cool, man. Let's do it. So, what's the problem?’

“The way it was in Van Halen was Eddie and Alex would get together and do their family thing. And Mike and I would always be the ones that would get tacos and margaritas and talk about life when we were on the road. And in the end, when we were arguing, and Van Halen was falling apart, me and Mike had our own plane because they were trying to keep Eddie and me apart.

“I guess Mike and I are cut from the same cloth. Eddie hated it, would get mad on stage, and called it stupid, but we had our inside lingo and were always very close. "

Also he talks about his Van Hagar lyrics:

"I'm singing as good as I ever have,” says Hagar. “And I think I write better lyrics now than when I was in Van Halen. I mean, some of those songs were great, but a lot of times, I was clowning around because Eddie and I were always goofing off so much.

“Back then, Eddie and I were doing these crazy acrobatics where I would sing crazy lines, and he'd go nuts on the guitar. When I was in Van Halen, at least in the early days, it was all about having fun. But with this record, the difference is that I didn't goof off and throw silly lyrics into the mix. I hate to say I did that in Van Halen, but I did.” "

No shit.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Why does Sammy refer to "the early days" or "the early Van Halen days"...I'm assuming he is obviously referring to the beginning years of his stint in the group, but anybody else on the planet referring to the early Van Halen days is clearly referencing the Roth years.

As to the rest, I was unaware that Hagar was capable of anything other than silly lyrics.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

"I'm singing as good as I ever have,” says Hagar.
                            No, he isn't. He sounds like shit. Go watch some Youtubes, if you can stomach it. Tuned down and cracking during the high parts.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                              LOL wow Hagar is really pulling out all the stops.

A week ago he says Alex hates him but now "they're looking through the archives to release stuff from my era....remasters.."

Alex doesn't want Sam to make another dime off of VH so he will do everything he can to not have any Van Hagar stuff released/re-released.

And I can't see WB wanting to invest any money on Van Hagar either. Sure the diehards will pick it up but you just have to look at the streaming stats for Van Hagar vs CVH and there's no comparison. If the market demanded Van Hagar then so be it but its not.
                              Oh come on. People are just dying to buy Dreams, Right Now and Love Walks In on vinyl in a special Sammy Era boxed set containing a Cabo Wabo jock strap, a Red Rocker dildo and tequila lime flavored anal lube.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                No, he isn't. He sounds like shit. Go watch some Youtubes, if you can stomach it. Tuned down and cracking during the high parts.
                                Sam never sang good.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...