X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    No, he isn't. He sounds like shit. Go watch some Youtubes, if you can stomach it. Tuned down and cracking during the high parts.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

How did it take a year for this to be posted here?

Comment

• MasonL
          Groupie
          • May 2022

The guy now is just a bumbling word salad that can't keep a story straight. Oh yeah I don't want to start beef with Alex but he has a stick up his ass. Eddie was messed up and angry but he was also amazing and deserves a tribute. The guy's a fucking hack.

And yeah, you and Mike are cut from the same cloth. A cloth that's 5 sizes too big to fit your fat asses into. Both of them sold out a long time ago. At least Mike usually has the sanity to keep his mouth shut.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

This guy (surely he must be a member here) does a great job from about 7 minutes in of going through all the Sammy Hagar bullshit and lies over the years.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              How did it take a year for this to be posted here?
              Totally by accident... I just typed "Sammy Hagar Sucks" into the You Tube search window and that's the first thing that came up.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                This guy (surely he must be a member here) does a great job from about 7 minutes in of going through all the Sammy Hagar bullshit and lies over the years.

That has long been by far the thing about Hagar that pissed me off the most, that being his inflated claims.

Didn't particularly hate the guys music before he joined Van Halen. Didn't even bother me that he was the guy Van Halen got to sing after Dave left, because it was never a case of Van Halen chucking Roth out to get Hagar in.

It was Hagar's bullshit, lies and attitude. Hagar from the day he joined Van Halen came off like he thought he was as big an act as a solo artist as Van Halen had been with Roth. Even back in 1985 without record sales figures at the ready, one knew this wasn't the case. Hagar's VOA record had done well the year prior to him joining Van Halen, but before that Hagar was hardly selling out arenas from coast to coast.

The longer he was in Van Halen, the bigger his lies about record sales and concert venue sizes while he was in Van Halen got. Then, he began to rewrite the factual past in interviews about how successful his solo career had been.

I suppose Hagar was trying to portray his joining Van Halen as something other than it was, which was an upgrade for Hagar. I mean, it just was. Hagar's biggest selling effort outside of Van Halen, VOA, went platinum. Not multi-platinum, but it broke a million copies. That same year, Van Halen's 1984 went multi-platinum and eventually sold 10 million + copies. Had Hagar not joined Van Halen, he wouldn't have released multi-platinum albums and sold out 15,000 seat arenas coast-to-coast.

The interesting part of the clip was the guy talking about the Montrose album, and how Hagar attempted to retroactively inflate the sales for THAT record. Interesting in that after Hagar joined Van Halen the Montrose record got mentioned a bit in interviews, but I had never heard Montrose played on the radio and none of my friends had the record or had heard of it. A rock album that sold 4 million copies in the US alone in the mid-1970s, that would still have been getting airplay on classic rock stations in the 1980s and beyond. Now, learning that the album sold not 4 but 1 million copies, it's a bit more understandable as to why one never heard any of it on the radio nor hears any of it today.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• MasonL
                  Groupie
                  • May 2022

Much of Sam's career (and his entire business career) has been overcompensating for the fact that his music contributed nothing. It didn't impact anybody, didn't push the envelope, didn't inspire anybody to do anything. It fit it nicely with popular music at the time and made him enough money to pay off the boat. As time went on and people began to demand the Classic VH more and more while his material faded away, he got angrier and angrier. He couldn't, and still can't deal with the fact that people look right past his songs when they think of "Van Halen." He knows that without any Van Halen attached to he cred he would be absolutely nothing in the history of music. Now all he's left with is tequila, toys, money and a bunch of other material possessions to try and fill a hole. It's a sad story indeed. Blinding himself with toys like Charles Foster Kane.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                    “Mikey is like my brother from another mother. So much so that back in the early Van Halen days, Eddie would get all jealous. Because Mike and I would get into these soulful conversations for hours, and Eddie would be on the outside looking in.

“And this was when we were all getting along great, not towards the end when our marriage fell apart. But even in the early days, Eddie would say, ‘Hey, I wanna hang out like you and Mike do.’ And I was like, ‘Cool, man. Let's do it. So, what's the problem?’
                    Sammy and Eddie had houses next to each other in Malibu. Pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the Guitar World interviews. A quick Google found this:

Eddie and Sammy began working on “Finish What Ya Started” at 2 AM one morning when Eddie made a middle-of-the-night trip to Sammy’s house in Malibu, which was next door to his home.
                    But 35 years later that story will probably change, too. "I bought a house next to Ed and that fucker wouldn't talk to me! Some neighbor!"
                    Last edited by twonabomber; 11-11-2022, 07:38 PM.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Sam’s house was two doors down. I really don’t care about a band’s soap opera. A band is like a business. It’s people working together towards a common goal. Some band mates are friends. Rush is a good example. In other bands it’s a business relationship. The Van Halen’s did pn’t let Dave in the band because they were friends. They let Dave in because they could use his PA system and not pay Dave rent for it. If Dave didn’t have something the brothers wanted Dave would not be in Van Halen.

All I care about is he end product produced. I could care less about who’s backstabbing who. Who stole who’s girlfriend or why the singer’s son looks a lot like the drummer. The drummer was probably banging something other than the drums.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
                        Much of Sam's career (and his entire business career) has been overcompensating for the fact that his music contributed nothing. It didn't impact anybody, didn't push the envelope, didn't inspire anybody to do anything. It fit it nicely with popular music at the time and made him enough money to pay off the boat. As time went on and people began to demand the Classic VH more and more while his material faded away, he got angrier and angrier. He couldn't, and still can't deal with the fact that people look right past his songs when they think of "Van Halen." He knows that without any Van Halen attached to he cred he would be absolutely nothing in the history of music. Now all he's left with is tequila, toys, money and a bunch of other material possessions to try and fill a hole. It's a sad story indeed. Blinding himself with toys like Charles Foster Kane.
                        Sam should just be happy as holy shit that he managed to get the amount of money he has. The guy is constantly showing off the type of life he lives but Sam isn’t content driving cars very few people get to drive. Sam isn’t content that he can park his dick in better pussy than he could if he was a house painter. Sam isn’t content with multiple houses in fabulous destinations.

Nope. Sam wants to be a legend. That he isn’t. Eddie is a legend. Dave is a legend. Sammy Hagar isn’t and deep down Sammy knows it. Van Halen is over. No Eddie Van Halen no Van Van Halen. Sam is too stupid to realize that reality. He desperately wants to do something with Alex and Mike to focus the VH legacy on himself. It’s some lame ass shit but Sam wants it so bad.
                        Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-12-2022, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          Sam’s house was two doors down. I really don’t care about a band’s soap opera. A band is like a business. It’s people working together towards a common goal. Some band mates are friends. Rush is a good example. In other bands it’s a business relationship. The Van Halen’s did pn’t let Dave in the band because they were friends. They let Dave in because they could use his PA system and not pay Dave rent for it. If Dave didn’t have something the brothers wanted Dave would not be in Van Halen.

All I care about is he end product produced. I could care less about who’s backstabbing who. Who stole who’s girlfriend or why the singer’s son looks a lot like the drummer. The drummer was probably banging something other than the drums.
                          I dunno where I read it but at a certain point Ed and Dave were friends and they hung out and did stuff together. That relationship frayed and yeah it became mainly business. But I think up until maybe the Fair Warning era they were genuine friends if not BFF's...

I think a good example is the Dave vs. Eddie peanuts/guacamole fight where Steve Perry was the collateral damage on their first album tour in 1978...
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-12-2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Sam should just be happy as holy shit that he managed to get the amount of money he has. The guy is constantly showing off the type of life he lives but Sam isn’t content driving cars very few people get to drive. Sam isn’t content that he can park his dick in better pussy than he could if he was a house painter. Sam isn’t content with multiple houses in fabulous destinations.

Nope. Sam wants to be a legend. That he isn’t. Eddie is a legend. Dave is a legend. Sammy Hagar isn’t and deep down Sammy knows it. Van Halen is over. No Eddie Van Halen no Van Van Halen. Sam is too stupid to realize that reality. He desperately wants to do something with Alex and Mike to focus the VH legacy on himself. It’s some lame ass shit but Sam wants it so bad.
                            My guess is that Sam's house painters put their dicks in Sam's pussy along with the pool boy. Just sayin'...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Sam did work as a house painter in San Francisco. He was one of the naive losers who went up there attracted by the summer of love illusion. Well he only could bum so far and he needed a job. He started painting houses. He probably made additional money and got drugs by being a sex gimp for rich old perverts in Pacific Heights. But Sam is a San Francisco guy and not an LA guy. That says it all. Sam craves the gay bay.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                                I dunno where I read it but at a certain point Ed and Dave were friends and they hung out and did stuff together. That relationship frayed and yeah it became mainly business. But I think up until maybe the Fair Warning era they were genuine friends if not BFF's...

I think a good example is the Dave vs. Eddie peanuts/guacamole fight where Steve Perry was the collateral damage on their first album tour in 1978...
                                Oddly enough success will ruin a band. Guys who can work together when there is little money and things are shoe string start to turn on each other when they become comfortable. Several managers have pointed this phenomenon out. You build a band up and when they finally make it they fall apart.

I think maybe the cracks with Ed and Dave started to form when each of them started to think they didn’t need the other. Eddie wanted to leave the band at one point because he couldn’t stand Roth any longer. Alex had to tell Ed it’s working so stick it out. Maybe if Alex wasn’t in the band Ed would have left and VH would have fallen apart sooner.

Comment

Working...