X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    One of the guys on Sirius mentioned Hagar's kid's music, saying it was pretty good and to check it out.

That pic tells me everything I needed to know, and now I won't bother checking it out.
    Truth be told, got nothing against Hagar's kid, but have zero interest in even so much as hearing his stuff: there's so much mediocre tripe being fobbed off out there these days that even his lineage notwithstanding I have no reason (certainly not based on that pic) to think his stuff will rise above mediocre.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There does seem to be an emergence of various rock/music legend's kids getting attention lately... Eddie Money, Willie Nelson, Hagar, EVH, etc... It's nice to see the family based generational torch being passed. But, let's be realistic... none of them will ever achieve what their parents did and their eras of musical success will never be repeated or revived anywhere near the levels in which the older generation achieved success.

Don't fault the kids... that's life.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Just dropped

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Word of caution here: Do not listen to that guy while baked out of your mind.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Some of that guys memes are hilarious - we need to invite him here although he must be lurking already...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              There does seem to be an emergence of various rock/music legend's kids getting attention lately... Eddie Money, Willie Nelson, Hagar, EVH, etc... It's nice to see the family based generational torch being passed. But, let's be realistic... none of them will ever achieve what their parents did and their eras of musical success will never be repeated or revived anywhere near the levels in which the older generation achieved success.

Don't fault the kids... that's life.
              It’s extremely rare the offspring of some icon even comes close to their parent. Extreme talent is rare. It’s why it’s cherished so much.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Silexxx
                Head Fluffer
                • Sep 2010

Sammy Hagar says he blew Van Halen's minds when he joined: "they thought wow, here’s a professional”

How Sammy Hagar made Van Halen even better, according to Sammy Hagar

After Van Halen parted ways with David Lee Roth in the mid ‘80s, Sammy Hagar stepped in to fill the void. The Californian singer doesn’t look at it like he merely steadied the ship, though – the comically unflappable Hagar is of the opinion that he dramatically improved Eddie Van Halen’s group.

“I had more experience under my belt when I joined Van Halen in 1985 than they had,” he told Classic Rock, which is true because Hagar had already made waves as the frontman in Montrose in the mid-70s, but perhaps overlooks the fact that his moment appeared to have passed at that point – his joining the group all being down to Eddie Van Halen’s car mechanic for recommending they audition him. Anyway, sorry for interrupting Sammy, you carry on: “They’d been together for seven years making records. I had been around for ten years before that.”

Hagar says that the band were in awe of their new recruit, thinking, “Wow, here’s a professional”. “I knew how to sing, I knew what Eddie was playing, I knew which keys things were in, and the arrangement of the music. Eddie really got off on that, because he never had a musical partner with Dave.” He recalls that their fandom of him spread throughout the extended family, with Eddie’s dad Jan Van Halen telling his son, “This guy sings like I play clarinet”.

The stats, of course, back up Sammy’s bragging – apart from whether he sung like Jan Van Halen played clarinet, we have no stats on that – as the next four Hagar-fronted Van Halen records all became huge hits, going to Number One and becoming multi-platinum successes.

It couldn’t last, though. “The ninth year, it got really rough,” Hagar told Classic Rock. “The tenth year there was no more, and the 2004 reunion was a mess. We never got back to that beginning that I loved so much.”

Oh boy... Douche is loose again.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Silexxx
                  Hagar says that the band were in awe of their new recruit, thinking, “Wow, here’s a professional”. “I knew how to sing, I knew what Eddie was playing, I knew which keys things were in, and the arrangement of the music. Eddie really got off on that, because he never had a musical partner with Dave.”
                  So all those songs Dave and Eddie wrote together that never happened in S P A M M Y world.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Sam is like a huge log in the toilet that won't flush and after it's finally gone he's the green monster that comes up out of the sewer and tries to go into your ass. The guy won't go away.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

What an insecure son of a bitch. He's going to spend every day until he finally croaks trying to convince the world he's better than Dave. The guy can afford a private jet. Has multiple homes in fabulous locations. Drives dumb super cars. Has the money and time to do pretty much what he wants and he's still bothered he couldn't steal Dave's legacy.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Roth is loving it. The gardener probably tells Dave hey Sam was on The Nobody Pod Cast saying he's better than you. Dave laughs. Hey, make sure you get the backyard looking great because I'm going to film a dance video out there.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The stats, of course, back up Sammy’s bragging
                          They fucking don't!

This came up on my feed today as well but I think it may be a story from last year but it's got over 400 comments already so job done for the hits and so on.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The stats actually show that Van Hagar lost a piece of their audience every year. Yes, all 4 of their albums went platinum. But each one sold LESS than the one before. And obviously none of them ever went "Diamond" like Van Halen I & 1984 did.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...103555682.html

How Sammy Hagar made Van Halen even better, according to Sammy Hagar

After Van Halen parted ways with David Lee Roth in the mid ‘80s, Sammy Hagar stepped in to fill the void. The Californian singer doesn’t look at it like he merely steadied the ship, though – the comically unflappable Hagar is of the opinion that he dramatically improved Eddie Van Halen’s group.

“I had more experience under my belt when I joined Van Halen in 1985 than they had,” he told Classic Rock, which is true because Hagar had already made waves as the frontman in Montrose in the mid-70s, but perhaps overlooks the fact that his moment appeared to have passed at that point – his joining the group all being down to Eddie Van Halen’s car mechanic for recommending they audition him. Anyway, sorry for interrupting Sammy, you carry on: “They’d been together for seven years making records. I had been around for ten years before that.”

Hagar says that the band were in awe of their new recruit, thinking, “Wow, here’s a professional”. “I knew how to sing, I knew what Eddie was playing, I knew which keys things were in, and the arrangement of the music. Eddie really got off on that, because he never had a musical partner with Dave.” He recalls that their fandom of him spread throughout the extended family, with Eddie’s dad Jan Van Halen telling his son, “This guy sings like I play clarinet”.

The stats, of course, back up Sammy’s bragging – apart from whether he sung like Jan Van Halen played clarinet, we have no stats on that – as the next four Hagar-fronted Van Halen records all became huge hits, going to Number One and becoming multi-platinum successes.

It couldn’t last, though. “The ninth year, it got really rough,” Hagar told Classic Rock. “The tenth year there was no more, and the 2004 reunion was a mess. We never got back to that beginning that I loved so much.”

Oh boy... Douche is loose again.

"[In 1985] Van Halen had been together for seven years making records. I had been around for ten years before that."

A bit fuzzy as to what Hagar is referring to, specifically "ten years before that"...whatever "that" means.

The first album Hagar appeared on far as I can tell was the first Montrose album, and that album came out in...what...1973. So Hagar had been around five years before Van Halen's first album was released.

Not sure which stats the article refers to, either. To say the band had a continued degree of success under Hagar would be accurate. To say the band had more albums which charted or chart placed at #1 under Hagar would be accurate. To say the band were more commercially successful would be inaccurate because Roth outsold Hagar by more than 2:1. Would you rather sell 20 million records and have more of them place #1 in the charts than another band which sold 40 million records and have none of those place #1 in the charts?

Van Halen were already a multi-platinum success when Roth left. They continued to be a successful band producing platinum albums after Roth left. That isn't the same as inferring the band became more commercially successful after Roth left, because the stats (of course) tell a different kind of truth.

Not that amounts of records sold - or how high they charted - mean anything in terms of who is 'better' anyway, because as we all know had Hagar sung on those Roth-records Van Halen would have been even MORE successful. : )
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• So this is love
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

From a book I read a while ago Spammy was not the first choice after DLR's departure, I think Patty Smyth or even others were offered the job but declined..Spammy should be reminded of that. I prefer Gary VHIII's attitude over Spammy, he should just move on an shut the fuck up.
                                Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Working...