Thread: Sam Just Won’t Stop

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Can't quite remember if it was after Dave and before Hagar or after Hagar left - possibly the former - but both Joey Ramone (or his manager) and Wendy O Williams claimed that EVH approached them and broached the idea of becoming the lead singer.

And, I read somewhere recently that Daryl Hall said the same - EVH said something like 'you could become our singer' (and who knows how serious he was when he was saying these things).
    The Joey Ramone thing was just a rumor. I know that for a fact, because I'm the one who started it!

I made up a whole bogus news article about how they played a secret gig with a set list of both Van Halen & Ramones tunes, and how Joey had changed his name to "Joey Van Halen" to fit into the band.

And people actually believed this story back in 1996.... I wish to fuck I had saved a copy of that fake article
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Joey was a fan though.....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Can't quite remember if it was after Dave and before Hagar or after Hagar left - possibly the former - but both Joey Ramone (or his manager) and Wendy O Williams claimed that EVH approached them and broached the idea of becoming the lead singer.

And, I read somewhere recently that Daryl Hall said the same - EVH said something like 'you could become our singer' (and who knows how serious he was when he was saying these things).
    You forgot Patty Symth, later Ed said the idea was to have a number of singers doing a track a piece on the album that would be 5150 and not a single lead singer. I suppose this would be problematic when touring but Ed was probably spinning around at this point...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/th.../poxq7awy6np5b

I like how the album description starts in Qobuz for this Hagar box set.

"ALBUM DESCRIPTION
    They really should have changed the name to Van Hagar..."
    Attached Images Attached Images

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Joey was a fan though.....

There's a nice pic somewhere of the Ramones in a record store and Johnny is looking closely and with a smile on his face at VH1 album sleeve. I'd guess it was just around the time the album came out.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post

I like how the album description starts in Qobuz for this Hagar box set.

"ALBUM DESCRIPTION
    They really should have changed the name to Van Hagar..."

Or Shit Sandwich...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Visiting the Links for the first time in several years this last week when the unreleased Dave files leaked, I have to admit I was mostly pleasantly surprised.

Instead of raving on about the Sammy box set, they've been far more excited about this Dave stuff.

Yes, there's the odd post about, "Oh my God, the new remaster of LOVE WALKS IN is so amazing!" But for the most part, they know the band shat out a crappy box set with minimal effort of the highly-inferior Van Halen years...

...and are instead excited as shit to hear perfect quality versions of PUT OUT THE LIGHTS or the great alternate take of FOOLS...or RED ZONE (ACT LIKE IT HURTZ).

Maybe there's some hope left in the universe.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Or Shit Sandwich...

You can't print that!
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Visiting the Links for the first time in several years this last week when the unreleased Dave files leaked, I have to admit I was mostly pleasantly surprised.

Instead of raving on about the Sammy box set, they've been far more excited about this Dave stuff.

Yes, there's the odd post about, "Oh my God, the new remaster of LOVE WALKS IN is so amazing!" But for the most part, they know the band shat out a crappy box set with minimal effort of the highly-inferior Van Halen years...

...and are instead excited as shit to hear perfect quality versions of PUT OUT THE LIGHTS or the great alternate take of FOOLS...or RED ZONE (ACT LIKE IT HURTZ).

Maybe there's some hope left in the universe.
    From what I read and can gather from the link Silexxx provided a few posts previous, the new Sammy box set is just the Van Hagar studio stuff 'remastered'...no extras, just the same catalog that has been put out several times before already: I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a fan of the Sammy years getting excited over repurchasing a catalog they must own already, even a 'remastered' one.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    From what I read and can gather from the link Silexxx provided a few posts previous, the new Sammy box set is just the Van Hagar studio stuff 'remastered'...no extras, just the same catalog that has been put out several times before already: I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a fan of the Sammy years getting excited over repurchasing a catalog they must own already, even a 'remastered' one.
    Via Apple Music I was curious to hear how these remasters sound. Of course I was only able to stomach so much Van Hagar and listened to basically the opening of songs from mainly 5150 and OU812. I think it was Good Enough, 5150 and AFU.

From my ears, I think there is an improvement but I'm not sure.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I listened to a few of the remasters on Youtube... OU812 was the worst mixed of the Hagar records originally. The new versions sound better but the songs still suck elephant balls.

Great recordings and mastering can't improve shitty songs...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a pity, I was really hoping for an alternate extended version of Up For Breakfast. I mean the metaphor of food as sexual gratification and depravity seems fitting for Sam's wife (when she blows the Mexican illegal pool staff)....

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I listened to a few of the remasters on Youtube... OU812 was the worst mixed of the Hagar records originally. The new versions sound better but the songs still suck elephant balls.

I had not listened to those songs I mentioned in years. A long time.

And from the first listen back I immediately noticed the shittiness but one word that I could describe the Van Hagar vibe compared to CVH: LAZY.

Like wtf happened to them. Ed showcased some flashes here and there but again, lazy ass playing. It was almost as if someone was trying to parody CVH Ed but coming out with lazy ass drivel. Black and Blue for instance just fucking plods along.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah lazy is good description of Ed's writing/composing during those years. My thought was he became much more "domesticated"... settled down into married life and his song writing lost a significant edge. Like he traded in his Ferrari for a fucking minivan and started questioning his choice of pronouns.

That time period also coincides with Alex getting sober... I've come to recognize that Alex is often overlooked in the song writing process but I suspect his influences had to have changed considerably once he got off his perpetual hangover period.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I had not listened to those songs I mentioned in years. A long time.

And from the first listen back I immediately noticed the shittiness but one word that I could describe the Van Hagar vibe compared to CVH: LAZY.

Like wtf happened to them. Ed showcased some flashes here and there but again, lazy ass playing. It was almost as if someone was trying to parody CVH Ed but coming out with lazy ass drivel. Black and Blue for instance just fucking plods along.
    That's Van Hagar in a nutshell. Lazy, with an occasional flash of brilliance from Eddie that briefly reminds one how brilliant the band HAD been in the CVH years. A few tracks on each album that made one wonder what the band could have done with the tune after Dave had a go at it and someone other than the band had produced it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just listened 5150, OU812 and some of FUCK remasters. Lazy is a good description. Many of the songs are way way too long. There's no reason 'Cabo Wabo' needs to be 7 min long. Also Hagar's lyrics are put together probably in 5 min with cliche after cliche. And the way he *singgg-ggg-ggg-ggs* almost every final word gets really boring after a while. Eddie's tone also sounds like from a 80s TV show. Like 'Get Up' feels like a Jan Hammer / Miami Vice background music on crack!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Ha! Ha! We actually left a OU812 show early. It was a cheese fest. My girlfriend wasn’t digging it so we left and had dinner.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah lazy is good description of Ed's writing/composing during those years. My thought was he became much more "domesticated"... settled down into married life and his song writing lost a significant edge. Like he traded in his Ferrari for a fucking minivan and started questioning his choice of pronouns.

That time period also coincides with Alex getting sober... I've come to recognize that Alex is often overlooked in the song writing process but I suspect his influences had to have changed considerably once he got off his perpetual hangover period.
    Once he started wearing pajama bottoms it was over. Bedtime with Sam. It was gay as fuck.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just listened 5150, OU812 and some of FUCK remasters. Lazy is a good description. Many of the songs are way way too long. There's no reason 'Cabo Wabo' needs to be 7 min long. Also Hagar's lyrics are put together probably in 5 min with cliche after cliche. And the way he *singgg-ggg-ggg-ggs* almost every final word gets really boring after a while. Eddie's tone also sounds like from a 80s TV show. Like 'Get Up' feels like a Jan Hammer / Miami Vice background music on crack!
    Put it all in a box set and call it FUCKED.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Ha! Ha! We actually left a OU812 show early. It was a cheese fest.
    Yeah... the synth pop cheese ballads were even worse when Van Hagar had to follow Metallica on the Monsters of Rock tour 88.

Real Van Halen probably would have pushed themselves to do a better show after that, but it was hopeless with the Ched "Rocker".

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dreams and Love Walks In lowers your sperm count and increases your estrogen levels.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Yeah... the synth pop cheese ballads were even worse when Van Hagar had to follow Metallica on the Monsters of Rock tour 88.

Real Van Halen probably would have pushed themselves to do a better show after that, but it was hopeless with the Ched "Rocker".
    It was awful. I needed a glass of wine and a steak and a romp in the hotel room. Needed to blow the Sam vibe off.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ark-times-band

Sammy once again claiming his solo career was as big as CVH was:

While speaking to Fox News Digital, Hagar shared his thoughts on why his debut album with Van Halen became a massive hit.

"I think there's a lot of reasons," he said. "Number one, my career at that time. I was doing double arenas as a Sammy Hagar solo artist. They were doing double arenas. You know, we were pretty much on the same level. They just had that huge hit with ‘Jump.’"

Hagar continued, "But that combination — I brought a new audience to Van Halen. You know, it's not like they joined my band and brought me the new audience, which would have been great. Then I wouldn't have had to stop being a solo artist for 10 years. But no, I brought a lot of new people in there. And when Dave left, it wasn't like they all went with him. You know, it was like, Eddie was the grounding person in that band."

"Everyone knows that," he added. "Looking back now, it's even more obvious, even though, the frontman, myself and Dave, in our eras, we always got a lot of attention. But really that band was built around Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. And so, you know, the songs we wrote together and all that were good. That's why ‘5150’ made, it because I brought in a new audience."

"The old people that were in doubt, they heard [imitates keyboard riff notes] 'Why Can't This Be Love?' And they just went, ‘Whoa, this is a new sound for Van Halen.’ You know that keyboard riff sounded like a guitar riff. Where previous stuff like ‘Jump’ sounded like a synthesizer, you know? So some of the hardcore guitar people rebelled a little bit, but they got a whole new audience with that. And we just satisfied them, and they stayed. And we just went out, and every show sold out minutes, and we went out and just killed it."

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

While speaking to Fox News Digital, Hagar shared his thoughts on why his debut album with Van Halen became a massive hit.

"I think there's a lot of reasons," he said. "Number one, my career at that time. I was doing double arenas as a Sammy Hagar solo artist. They were doing double arenas. You know, we were pretty much on the same level. They just had that huge hit with ‘Jump.’"

Hagar continued, "But that combination — I brought a new audience to Van Halen. You know, it's not like they joined my band and brought me the new audience, which would have been great. Then I wouldn't have had to stop being a solo artist for 10 years. But no, I brought a lot of new people in there. And when Dave left, it wasn't like they all went with him. You know, it was like, Eddie was the grounding person in that band."

"Everyone knows that," he added. "Looking back now, it's even more obvious, even though, the frontman, myself and Dave, in our eras, we always got a lot of attention. But really that band was built around Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. And so, you know, the songs we wrote together and all that were good. That's why ‘5150’ made, it because I brought in a new audience."

"The old people that were in doubt, they heard [imitates keyboard riff notes] 'Why Can't This Be Love?' And they just went, ‘Whoa, this is a new sound for Van Halen.’ You know that keyboard riff sounded like a guitar riff. Where previous stuff like ‘Jump’ sounded like a synthesizer, you know? So some of the hardcore guitar people rebelled a little bit, but they got a whole new audience with that. And we just satisfied them, and they stayed. And we just went out, and every show sold out minutes, and we went out and just killed it."
    "We were pretty much on the same level"

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know that keyboard riff sounded like a guitar riff. Where previous stuff like ‘Jump’ sounded like a synthesizer, you know?
    No, it was a simple sync patch that sounded more like something The Cars would use.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    No, it was a simple sync patch that sounded more like something The Cars would use.
    Sam is an idiot.

Any opportunity he can try and put down CVH and elevate Van Hagar he will.

But the proof is in the music and the total sales.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was awful. I needed a glass of wine and a steak and a romp in the hotel room. Needed to blow the Sam vibe off.
    When I saw them at Rich Stadium (now some jerkoff corporate name) Ed was fucking skunked and could barely stand up. I don't blame him because Sam came off as a giant condescending cunt...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The dates and venues for both Van Halen's 1984 tour and Hagar's 1984-1985 VOA tour are available.

Van Halen were often doing the larger capacity venues in any given state, whereas Hagar was often doing venues with a slightly smaller capacity, usually smaller by a few thousand seats. There was some overlap of the same venues played. Van Halen had a dozen or so dates on the 1984 tour where they were doing multiple nights in one venue - with a few of those being 3 night stands - whereas Hagar had (if memory serves) two or three dates on his VOA tour where he did multiple nights consisting of no more than two gigs.

I did a mildly deep dive on the stats a decade or so back specifically to contrast the attendance for those two tours when the venue data and dates played was posted online, mostly just to find out for myself if Hagar's claims re: Hagar solo being 'on the same level as Van Halen' were true on a factual basis. From what I remember, I think Hagar on the VOA tour had two dates at the Philadelphia Spectrum and...I think he had two dates at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Which made sense, in that he hailed from San Francisco, and maybe he had a lot of fans in the Philly area the way KISS post-Alive! always used to sell out Cobo Hall in Detroit even when their career was at their nadir (I dunno...maybe Hagar had written a ballad about a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich or something).

The upshot of it all being that Hagar's solo career - which commercially was at its career peak with his VOA album - was on an upswing in 1984-1985 but it wasn't on par with Van Halen's, not in terms of the amount of albums sold nor the size of the venues Van Halen and Hagar were playing. Left unsaid by Hagar is that Van Halen in 1981, 1982 and 1984 were doing multiple nights in front of arena-sized crowds, which certainly wasn't the case with Hagar's solo tours prior to the VOA album. Thus, Van Halen were as big as they ever got commercially before Roth left.

And that's fine, which is to say that Hagar's career was what it was just before he joined Van Halen: he was coming off a platinum album and a tour where he played to respectable-sized crowds...just not crowds that were as large as Van Halen's on the whole. And, you know, just be content to say that. Everybody knows Hagar got a career boost to some degree when he joined Van Halen.

I'd agree it was true that Van Halen's audience changed when Roth left and Hagar joined. Doubtless, Hagar had his fans before he joined Van Halen. Doubtless, some of those said fans ended up checking out Van Halen when Sam joined who may not have been inclined to have done so otherwise. Flip side of the coin being doubtless Van Halen lost some fans when Roth left and the band underwent a stylistic shift. Stands to reason, as it wasn't the same band anymore, regardless of how much the band did was built around Eddie's guitar playing on a hypothetical percentage basis. Shit, when CVH was active and I was into them the main draw for me certainly was Eddie's playing, but that was never close to the whole magilla for me and after Dave left...it just...Van Halen never really worked for me once Dave left. While no doubt what Hagar chose to sing about and the synth pop stuff was part of it not working for me, in retrospect I can't really think of anybody else other than Hagar the band could have replaced Dave with where it would have worked. It was that specific personal chemistry, same as with many rock bands I liked.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"Good luck getting Eddie and Al sign that"

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He reached bottom a long time ago. He's been digging into it for a while... What an ass.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sam has sunk so low he eats crab turds at the bottom of the ocean.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"Good luck getting Eddie and Al sign that"
    Doesn’t matter. Wolfgang will still suck Sam’s dick and hate the classic VH fans and blame everything on us and Roth.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Doesn’t matter. Wolfgang will still suck Sam’s dick and hate the classic VH fans and blame everything on us and Roth.
    Exactly.

Dave hasn't said a bad word about Fatty....like ever. In fact, Dave hasn't even said a bad word about Sam in how many summers? I would say the last time was 2002-04.

Yet Sam and Fatty continue to bad mouth Dave.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly.

Dave hasn't said a bad word about Fatty....like ever. In fact, Dave hasn't even said a bad word about Sam in how many summers? I would say the last time was 2002-04.

I've picked up on that too. Even when someone tries to set him up to trash Hagar/the Van Hagar era, he has steered clear as far as I can recall for the past 20 years or so. Certainly, since the reunion. In contrast, Hagar's approach is so gross and pathetic.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly.

I can't recall Dave having said a single word about Ed's kid - good, bad or otherwise - since [Dave's] last tour with Van Halen in 2015.

About the only thing I can recall Dave having said about Hagar since the Sam and Dave Heavyweights Of Rock co-headlining tour in 2002 was...I dunno, 4 years ago or so. Maybe a year or two before Eddie had died. Dave said something in an interview along the lines of it standing to reason that Van Halen made different music when he left and Hagar joined because obviously he and Hagar were different people with different perspectives, and Roth left it at that rather than even bother blathering out the usual 'I'm better than he is' stuff that he and Hagar had been directing toward each other in interviews since 1985.

Which was just as well, because what's left to be said from Dave's perspective about Hagar that hasn't already been said a million times, anyway? I'd presume Dave wouldn't bother commenting about Ed's kid one way or another going forward just out of decency...who knows, maybe Dave doesn't feel Ed's kid is worth talking about publicly or the subject of Ed's kid may well plain not enter Dave's mind often enough anymore...I never got the feeling Dave and Wolfgang hung out much outside of their working capacity even when they were both in the band for those 10-odd years. It wouldn't surprise me much to find out that -outside of whatever transpired re: the proposed tribute to Ed - Dave and Ed's kid have had virtually no contact since Van Halen's last tour in 2015 ended.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't recall Dave having said a single word about Ed's kid - good, bad or otherwise - since [Dave's] last tour with Van Halen in 2015.

About the only thing I can recall Dave having said about Hagar since the Sam and Dave Heavyweights Of Rock co-headlining tour in 2002 was...I dunno, 4 years ago or so. Maybe a year or two before Eddie had died. Dave said something in an interview along the lines of it standing to reason that Van Halen made different music when he left and Hagar joined because obviously he and Hagar were different people with different perspectives, and Roth left it at that rather than even bother blathering out the usual 'I'm better than he is' stuff that he and Hagar had been directing toward each other in interviews since 1985.

Which was just as well, because what's left to be said from Dave's perspective about Hagar that hasn't already been said a million times, anyway? I'd presume Dave wouldn't bother commenting about Ed's kid one way or another going forward just out of decency...who knows, maybe Dave doesn't feel Ed's kid is worth talking about publicly or the subject of Ed's kid may well plain not enter Dave's mind often enough anymore...I never got the feeling Dave and Wolfgang hung out much outside of their working capacity even when they were both in the band for those 10-odd years. It wouldn't surprise me much to find out that -outside of whatever transpired re: the proposed tribute to Ed - Dave and Ed's kid have had virtually no contact since Van Halen's last tour in 2015 ended.
    I agree with this 100%.

I think it was the Joe Rogan interview in 2019 when Dave commented on the vast difference between CVH and Van Hagar after he was asked, specifically himself and Sam. And it was nothing but just stating the obvious "Sam sings Why Cant This Be Love.....I sing I Aint Talkin Bout Love" something to that effect.

No mudslinging whatsoever.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Here's the Hamburger helper comment in 2015. And that Van Hagar only sold half what CVH sold.

And here's the Joe Rogan clip where Dave said that all Sammy's songs are about love but so are Sinatra's.

Other than that and I don't remember Dave really talking about Hagar. Only really when asked by interviewer.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Here's the Hamburger helper comment in 2015. And that Van Hagar only sold half what CVH sold.

And here's the Joe Rogan clip where Dave said that all Sammy's songs are about love but so are Sinatra's.

Other than that and I don't remember Dave really talking about Hagar. Only really when asked by interviewer.
    Again, the 2015 quote was just Dave stating the obvious.

Yes, Van Hagar sold about half of what CVH sold.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @