ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

https://www.billboard.com/artist/van...t-history/hsi/

Jump is the only #1 single. These are ranked by weeks on the chart.

Last edited by twonabomber; 03-11-2023 at 09:49 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

I have to admit I'm surprised 'Right Now' and 'And The Cradle Will Rock' got to the same position on the Billboard charts...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't pay for TV and wouldn't watch this if I did. Someone will have to fact check it.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

None of the VHagar albums went diamond. They sold less as they went on, 5150 is 6x platinum and it went down from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen_discography

Hagar didn't go platinum solo until Standing Hampton. Three Lock Box was gold, then VOA platinum, then the next solo album gold. And that's it for his solo career. Montrose is platinum and somehow the first Chickenshit album is gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Hagar_discography

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also worth mentioning that Hagar's 'big hit' 'I can't drive 55' peaked at just #26 on the Billboard charts. It did nothing outside the US because without the novelty aspect it's not much of anything.

If he hadn't got to do it live 306 times! with Van Hagar it would have been long forgotten. He is riding on the Van Halen legacy with that like everything else...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-12-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    This guy (surely he must be a member here) does a great job from about 7 minutes in of going through all the Sammy Hagar bullshit and lies over the years.

That guy is way too cool for this place.

7. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-12-2023)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

"Eddie Trunk, that guy is such a fucking Sammy nut-swinger!" --On Trunk parroting Sammy's lies about the 1984 Tour....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    Trunk and Hagar deserve one another.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Amazing how a B-grade level performer in Hagar gets an A & E Bio doc.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

https://youtube.com/shorts/-XydnLThPl0

Sam's favorite lyrics from his new song? Well it's the "when was last time you did something for the first time" quete that Dave used ADKOT. 11 years ago.

12. Thanked Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (03-20-2023)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-...s-embarrassing

Hagar reflected on the 2002 run of shows during a recent appearance on Steve-O's "Wild Ride!" podcast. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "At that time [Roth] didn't have a solo career, really. I mean, he did, but he wasn't selling out. I was selling out arenas. I was selling out amphitheaters as Sammy Hagar with the WABOS. And I had a solo career.

"Ask Mick Jagger. Ask Robert Plant. You can be the biggest band in the world and you can't necessarily have a solo career," he continued. "But I had a solo career. So when I joined the big band, I went back to my solo career, I'm good. I still sell a lot of tickets. Dave, he had that sort of a big album, one kind of a big album, but he didn't have a solo career. He was playing small places. So when he came in with me, he was making, like, 25 grand a night, I was making 150 grand a night, and they said, 'Oh, you guys are gonna make the same money. Dave gets to make 150.' I said, 'He ain't fucking made 150 in his life except in VAN HALEN.' But I said, 'I've gotta do this.' So I bent over backwards. And he still always tried to fuck with the rules. He's not a fun guy. He doesn't play well with others. I'm not sure what his problem is… He just always is about, 'How can I make this guy look bad?' And not just me — in life. He's a chest-beating motherfucker. And God bless him, 'cause the early stuff is frickin' great. I personally, I've tried to say… [I thought] he'd be a fun guy to know. But he ain't like that. He ain't like his persona. When you get around him, he ain't that guy. He's some other cat. [Laughs]"

Hagar went on to praise Roth's skills as an entertainer, saying: "He's a showman. Hey, listen, I'm a showman too. But that's his gig. He doesn't care about singing. If he did, he'd take care of his voice or he'd take voice lessons and get warmed up and do something. 'Cause the guy sang so bad last time he was doing shows, it was embarrassing… But he's a showman. Everything's show, show, show, show, show, show, show. And he doesn't care about his voice, which drives me nuts, man. I care more about my voice than I do my dick. If my dick didn't work a couple of times, I'd be okay with it — I'd be bummed out — but if my voice fucks up onstage, I'm fucking bummed, man."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Easily debunked.

When Hagar left VH and toured Marching To Mars, he didn't play big rooms. He played Nautica Stage here in Cleveland, which is a 5,000 seat outdoor stage under a tent. A few days later he played the amphitheater at the Toledo Zoo, which is a 4500 seat venue. And down the street from where I lived as a toddler lol.

Here's the link to his '97 tour dates https://www.vharchives.com/shtour1997

I would say Plant has had a better solo career than Hagar. Jagger wasn't dumb enough to tour solo in the States.

15. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (04-22-2023),Silexxx (04-22-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

(Dave is) just always is about, 'How can I make this guy look bad?'
    But it's okay for Hagar to do it to Dave...

17. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (04-22-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Easily debunked.

When Hagar left VH and toured Marching To Mars, he didn't play big rooms. He played Nautica Stage here in Cleveland, which is a 5,000 seat outdoor stage under a tent. A few days later he played the amphitheater at the Toledo Zoo, which is a 4500 seat venue. And down the street from where I lived as a toddler lol.

I would say Plant has had a better solo career than Hagar. Jagger wasn't dumb enough to tour solo in the States.
    Hagar's typical tactic of distorting the facts.

To say Roth didn't have a solo career was patently ridiculous.

Roth headlined arenas under his own name for the tours supporting his first three full-length solo efforts. By the time the ALAE tour ended, the arena sizes weren't as large, capacity-wise, as they had been for the EEAS and Skyscraper tours. That would have been factual to say.

Hagar had 8 solo albums between Montrose and joining Van Halen. Out of those 8, one went gold and two went platinum (neither going double platinum), and those three albums were his last three before he joined Van Halen.

Out of Roth's solo albums, one went gold and two went platinum...sound familiar? Yet according to Hagar, none of that constitutes a solo career?

Yeah, by the time 2002 came around Roth had went through a few years of either opening for acts or headlining smaller venues. But that's right where Hagar was, too. Hagar didn't leave Van Halen and then go back to headlining arenas in the late 1990s and early 2000s. That's just patent bullshit.

If Hagar had said something along the lines of his solo career and Roth's were more or less comparable on commercial terms (albums sold/venue sizes performed to), that'd been truthful on a factual basis. Hagar was coming off his biggest solo success in commerical terms with the VOA album when he joined Van Halen in 1985. When you look at the VOA tour dates, you barely see any multiple night stands in a single arena (and no more than two nights) and a lot of the major cities had Hagar playing smaller venues. He wasn't selling out Madison Square Garden as a solo artist prior to joining Van Halen. The VOA tour was a mix of arenas and venues of a smaller size. Contrast that with Van Halen's 1984 tour playing multiple nights (with a few three night stands) to sold out shows in ARENAS all over the country. Yet Hagar always tries to convey the impression that he was a much larger success as a solo act than he was, and that joining Van Halen wasn't really an upgrade for him.

As if Hagar in 2002 was going to be playing to crowds of 10k + people a night headlining under his own name without teaming up with Roth. He wouldn't have been. Neither would Dave.

It was useful to find out Hagar's dick hasn't worked a couple of times, I suppose...(?)

19. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (04-22-2023),Silexxx (04-22-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Easily debunked.

There ya go. That’s where Hagar belongs. In a zoo.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hagar proved one thing. If you appeal to enough stupid people and get a few bucks from each of them you can get rich. Most people don’t want to go that low but Sam is good at doing the limbo. That snake can go real low.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Also even if Hagar had sold more tickets or albums (which they didn't) who gives a shit, it doesn't make his music any better.

Kid Rock's 'Devil Without A Cause' sold 11 million.

Limp Bizkit sold 6 million copies of 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water'

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Plant's solo albums are usually well-received by critics. I don't think Hagar's are. Jagger's sure aren't.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seems like he still likes to watch Dave videos. Does he go to YouTube and look for them? Maybe someone in his camp sends them to him but why would he give a fuck how Dave sounds live these days? Same thing happened when Dave reunited with VH, when ADKOT came out and with the last VH tour. He always talks about how Dave sounded like or how they are using backing tapes or something.

Also Hagar likes to do that "I'll admid this one thing so you'll believe this" bullshit. "Yeah those first VH records were great but when I did this blah blah.. " That's probably why some idiots think he's "down to earth".

25. Thanked Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (04-23-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    Seems like he still likes to watch Dave videos. Does he go to YouTube and look for them? Maybe someone in his camp sends them to him but why would he give a fuck how Dave sounds live these days? Same thing happened when Dave reunited with VH, when ADKOT came out and with the last VH tour. He always talks about how Dave sounded like or how they are using backing tapes or something.

Also Hagar likes to do that "I'll admid this one thing so you'll believe this" bullshit. "Yeah those first VH records were great but when I did this blah blah.. " That's probably why some idiots think he's "down to earth".
    Yeah, [Hagar] has a few grains of truth mixed in with shovelfuls of bullshit. Not even talking about which music or which VH frontman was 'better' but just factual data that Hagar misstates repeatedly.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Also even if Hagar had sold more tickets or albums (which they didn't) who gives a shit, it doesn't make his music any better.

Kid Rock's 'Devil Without A Cause' sold 11 million.

Limp Bizkit sold 6 million copies of 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water'
    Yeah, of course I'd agree with that. The thing with Hagar is that he keeps using these bogus 'facts' he invents (inflated record sales, inflated crowd sizes) to perpetuate his "I'm better than David Lee Roth" arguments in interviews.

Even back in 2003 when VH1 was airing that Sam And Dave special about the 2002 tour, Sam was saying things like "David Lee Roth came out of the gutter to do this tour" and "if anything, [Roth] owed me more shows because I got him back in the game" and "wait until next year, because [Dave] will be back where he was last summer" meaning "in the gutter" prior to hooking up with Hagar for that co-headlining tour. Even back then 20 years ago watching that on tv, I was puzzled at the remarks because as far as I knew Hagar hadn't been doing any headlining gigs after leaving Van Halen to sizable crowds on the strength of his own name...so who the fuck was he to criticize the size of the crowds Roth had been playing to prior to that 2002 tour? If anything, that co-headlining tour was mutually beneficial to both Hagar AND Roth.

Another case in point is Hagar trying to contrast his solo endeavors post-1996 to what Roth has been doing since 1996. Hagar says things along the lines of Roth's highest profile stint post-1996 being a Van Halen reunion. Well, what has been Hagar's career highlight since HE left Van Halen? Touring With Roth in 2002, reuniting with Van Halen in 2004 and the book he wrote about it in 2008.

It's just these continuous attempts by Hagar to gaslight the history of Van Halen and his own success as a solo artist which still never fail to irk the fuck out of me. Has nothing to do with the musical content I prefer, but Hagar just can't stop lying about the facts. Even allowing for the probability that Hagar is always being asked about the Van Halen/Roth stuff in every interview (because, really, what else of interest would there even be to ask Hagar about?), after hearing Hagar's bullshit about all of it for literally going on 4 decades...I dunno. I guess it says more about me at this point that any of it continues to bug me.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plant's solo albums are usually well-received by critics. I don't think Hagar's are. Jagger's sure aren't.
    For me, Plant's solo albums had material on them that was compelling even outside of the context of Led Zeppelin, or by way of comparison to Led Zeppelin.

Hagar had a few tracks prior to joining Van Halen that I thought were okay/decent far as average rock went, but nothing which made me think back in '85 when he was announced as the new singer for Van Halen that the choice automatically made sense or was a natural fit considering what the band had been doing with Roth. Hagar was a moderately successful solo artist prior to 1985. Prior to that, Hagar had been in Montrose, and by 1985 few people were talking about Montrose and that band's debut album of 12 years prior was getting zero airplay. Hagar was neither a Plant nor a Jagger outside of his self-aggrandizing delusions.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Random blog with VH sales numbers broken down

https://fullinbloom.com/van-halen-al...gold-platinum/

I've seen blurbs that Marching To Mars sold 350,000 copies. Coming out of one of the biggest bands and that's the best he could do.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd like to see VH1 sales by year. I think it's possible it sold more copies in 1984/85 than it did 1978/79.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://loudwire.com/van-halen-song-...g-joined-band/

In the same interview Sammy also claimed that it was Eddie who didn't want to play CVH when Hag was in the band.

"On the first tour, we did 'You Really Got Me'... and we did [Hagar's solo song] 'There's Only One Way to Rock,' and we just did the whole first 5150 record. Then for an encore, we would play 'Jump,' but I would pull somebody out of the audience to sing it. I was an asshole, honestly. Guilty as charged," Hagar admitted.

"I didn't want to sing the songs because I thought 'Jump' was a silly song. I didn't like the lyrics and I had a hard time standing up there going, 'Can't you see me standing here / I got my back against the record machine / You know what I mean?'," the singer elaborated. "I had a hard time with it. I came from Montrose."

Hagar noted that although he didn't like the lyrics in "Jump," he really liked a lot of other material from Van Halen's catalog with Roth, especially songs such as "Unchained," "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Runnin' With the Devil."

"Later on, I started getting a little bit more user-friendly, but then we had more albums so we didn't need it," he continued. "Eddie [Van Halen] was the one that didn't want to play the catalog."

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"I came from Montrose"

Also funny how he disses the lyrics of Jump like he's some sort of lyrical wizard. The mind that gave us Wham bam Amsterdam and Source of Infection.

33. 2 users say thank you to Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (05-01-2023),So this is love (05-01-2023)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What an asshat.

Eddie didn't want to play the catalog?? Um no. Sam didn't and it was also a business decision. For every CVH song, they'd have to play a Hagar song. That was their agreement. Truth be told it was Eddie who didn't want to play Sam's material not his own from CVH.

35. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (05-01-2023)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I remember when Sam would crawl up into the lighting truss and hang out over the stage. Oh how I hoped he would fall. I wish I was a rigger then. I would be smearing grease on anything Sam might stand on or hold onto.

37. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (05-01-2023)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Had a hard time with Jump, but peppers his songs with "woo," "yeah," "baby," and "hey!"

What an idiot.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post

"I came from Montrose"

Also funny how he disses the lyrics of Jump like he's some sort of lyrical wizard. The mind that gave us Wham bam Amsterdam and Source of Infection.
    And Bad Motor Scooter ruining an otherwise great riff...

That video makes me laugh and get a bit nauseous at the same time as Sam was going through his "lets rip off Billy Squier" phase...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I really wanna see the host come back on after the song and say "BTW, this will also be the last performance of Sammy Hagar on the Midnight Special"...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave is most likely aware Sam has been ripping him at every opportunity.

But probably laughs it off as he knows he lives in Sam's head rent free.

42. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (05-02-2023)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have to say I've been looking at the reader comments to a lot of the articles reporting Hagar's recent bitchin and a large majority are pro Dave.

Your average person who liked Van Halen seems to have had enough of it. Not all but many many people are saying 'Why are you still shit talking about stuff that is now 20+ years ago?'.

It's pathetic how no music journalist ever calls him out on anything. Or anyone else really if you think about it. Seems like they are all so desperate for access they never write or ask anything of interest.

The last time I read a 'physical' music magazine was on a train last year and I realized that something like 18/20 of the albums reviewed had been given 5/5 stars. It's pathetic.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-01-2023 at 08:31 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Magazines such as that are doubtless in cahoots with the 'record companies' or content producers re: 5-star reviews. You ain't gonna get a modern-day Lester Bangs in such a magazine giving an honest critique that could result in people opting on the basis of it not buying the content.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have to say I've been looking at the reader comments to a lot of the articles reporting Hagar's recent bitchin and a large majority are pro Dave.

Your average person who liked Van Halen seems to have had enough of it. Not all but many many people are saying 'Why are you still shit talking about stuff that is now 20+ years ago?'.
    The people defending Sam say "well, he's asked those questions, he doesn't bring VH up." Sometimes Sam will bring VH up unprovoked. It would be nice to see Sam not take those questions any more, "I'm here to promote (whatever) and let's talk about that." But we know he can't take the high road and STFU.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So are the Van Hagar remasters a record company driven thing?

Or did Al greenlight it?

I find it hard pressed to think Al would want Sam to make any more money off VH.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm guessing the record company. Maybe they were ready to go before EVH died, who knows. At least WB/Rhino waited a while to release them.

Al gets paid too, not that it makes Sam getting paid any easier to stomach.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm guessing the record company. Maybe they were ready to go before EVH died, who knows. At least WB/Rhino waited a while to release them.

Al gets paid too, not that it makes Sam getting paid any easier to stomach.
    Yeah true.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sam on Opie Radio. I won't say Sammy is completely unreasonable here, no one is going to argue Dave ISN'T a "weird guy". But still the embellishment of other stuff. There's no way VH was "my (Sammy's) band)" at any point. Alex ran that band from the 1984 Tour on end-of-story...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-02-2023 at 06:06 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think The Red Worm is right about Ray Daniel’s. Ray wanted to run Sam off and who could blame him?

Thread Information