ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

WTF Happened to David Lee Roth?

from a series on different artists with a few hundred thousand subscribers...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Much of this sounds like an Albert Goldman novel.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-28-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Much of this sounds like an Albert Goldman novel.
    I dunno...Goldman novels were entertaining if nothing else. The clip was a bit 'meh'...

I'm assuming Goldman is dead, but I'd quite enjoy a Goldman-type celebrity bio right about now.

The problem is that 40 years ago when Goldman was doing those Elvis and John Lennon bios, back then celebs or their estates were paying publicists to keep that sort of stuff out of the public eye. Since then, there have been countless autobios where celebs put it all out there, probably even making up stories of debauchery that never happened (or embellishing on the truth) just to get cred or whatnot.

Plus, after Goldman's Elvis saga of him having it all, then going looney, then getting dope bloated and croaking followed by Goldman's Lennon saga of HIM having it all, then going looney, then starving himself thin and getting shot by (as Lester Bangs put it) 'the ultimate Beatlemaniac' all the self-styled gonzo rock autobios like Motley Crue's The Dirt come across as lame pretenders.

5. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (08-28-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Well, crazy as it might sound to an internet clip commentator in his 20s, David Lee Roth got old. Just like everybody else, even those who DON'T partake of sex, drugs and rock n roll.

7. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (08-29-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's pretty much fair and not that inaccurate which is pretty unusual in these things...

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-29-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Well, crazy as it might sound to an internet clip commentator in his 20s, David Lee Roth got old. Just like everybody else, even those who DON'T partake of sex, drugs and rock n roll.
    Bingo! What's Dave doing now? Probably painting or learning another language. There's two Daves. We were entertained by Diamond David Lee Roth. Then there is Dave who lives a very private life that we get a glimpse of now and then. Dave seems to live like a trust fund kid. He doesn't have to make a living so he spends his time focusing on one art project or another or educating himself on things he's interested in. Diamond David Lee Roth takes a young guy to pull off. Dave got too old to do it.

11. 4 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-29-2022),Vinnie Velvet (08-29-2022),Von Halen (08-29-2022),ZahZoo (08-29-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Interesting... Roth's life, successes, failures, adventures and bullshit all pretty accurately covered in under 19 minutes.

13. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-29-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's pretty much fair and not that inaccurate which is pretty unusual in these things...
    Yeah, it wasn't a distortion of the bare-bones facts. The narrator seemed to say the word 'drugs' quite a bit. Outside of the 1993 pot bust - which was for a fairly miniscule amount - and the doubtless copious amounts of blow the entire band were doing way back when, I never really think of Roth as a rock n roll drug casualty.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Bingo! What's Dave doing now? Probably painting or learning another language. There's two Daves. We were entertained by Diamond David Lee Roth. Then there is Dave who lives a very private life that we get a glimpse of now and then. Dave seems to live like a trust fund kid. He doesn't have to make a living so he spends his time focusing on one art project or another or educating himself on things he's interested in. Diamond David Lee Roth takes a young guy to pull off. Dave got too old to do it.
    The decline was gradual, because Dave kept touring, but since the mid-1990s his abilities started waning. It was just natural, given the high-octane nature of his showmanship. As you say, Diamond Dave was a young man's game.

When you're a teen reading Creem and Circus magazines, the adolescent fantasy is that rock stars act the way they do when they're performing 24/7. The offstage reality? These people are just human. The psycho rock stars who buy into their own bullshit hype (Sid Vicious, Jim Morrison, Keith Moon, etc.) it's probably fair to say inevitably end up destroying themselves at a young age: even if they don't die, they end up turning what little of their minds they had to begin with into mush.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Interesting... Roth's life, successes, failures, adventures and bullshit all pretty accurately covered in under 19 minutes.
    Still a legend.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The decline was gradual, because Dave kept touring, but since the mid-1990s his abilities started waning. It was just natural, given the high-octane nature of his showmanship. As you say, Diamond Dave was a young man's game.

When you're a teen reading Creem and Circus magazines, the adolescent fantasy is that rock stars act the way they do when they're performing 24/7. The offstage reality? These people are just human. The psycho rock stars who buy into their own bullshit hype (Sid Vicious, Jim Morrison, Keith Moon, etc.) it's probably fair to say inevitably end up destroying themselves at a young age: even if they don't die, they end up turning what little of their minds they had to begin with into mush.
    Father Time showed up and Dave went Nooooooo!! I will show you motherfucker! Father Time got the last laugh as he does on everyone. Shit, my dad never accepted that he was no longer capable of driving a car, my mom had to hide the car keys. In Dave’s case he thought he was still 20 years old. Alex probably went to a low drum riser because Dave would try and jump off a high one.

18. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-31-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I dunno...Goldman novels were entertaining if nothing else. The clip was a bit 'meh'...
    His books were all shit. Okay, maybe the one he did on Lenny Bruce was plausible reading material until you get to the end and you suddenly realize it's a god damn Albert Goldman book I'm reading here. Goldman sensationalized rock star drug abuse and made millions telling bullshit stores about John Lennon much of which Goldman provided no actual references to.

So Roth did drugs, screwed groupie pussy, indulged in the excessive lifestyle. What rock star in his position wouldn't have?

20. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-31-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, it wasn't a distortion of the bare-bones facts. The narrator seemed to say the word 'drugs' quite a bit. Outside of the 1993 pot bust - which was for a fairly miniscule amount - and the doubtless copious amounts of blow the entire band were doing way back when, I never really think of Roth as a rock n roll drug casualty.
    Yeah he clearly had a degree of self discipline that prevented that although I've always found it interesting that he didn't manage to stop smoking tobacco. It's possible that the coke did damage his career as maybe is caused the breakdown of key relationships in his career with band members and crucial people like Ted Templeman or Pete Angelus, who knows?

22. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-31-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think a lot of it was Dave’s public persona was a carefully crafted image he invented. It’s entertainment and it’s calculated for effect and it’s fake. Diamond Dave was a character. Nobody really knows Dave because he tightly guards who he is. The real Dave is a bit of a recluse and he admits it.

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-31-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So anyone who says they know Dave I’m like fuck off, no you don’t. Maybe his dog knew him best.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    His books were all shit. Okay, maybe the one he did on Lenny Bruce was plausible reading material until you get to the end and you suddenly realize it's a god damn Albert Goldman book I'm reading here. Goldman sensationalized rock star drug abuse and made millions telling bullshit stores about John Lennon much of which Goldman provided no actual references to.

So Roth did drugs, screwed groupie pussy, indulged in the excessive lifestyle. What rock star in his position wouldn't have?
    The Lenny Bruce one I never read. The Lives Of John Lennon may well have been chock full of bullshit stories, but I found those far more entertaining than the Yoko's Tales Of St. John The Bread Baker party line bullshit stories. Probably somewhere between the two lies the truth, maybe closer to Yoko's take than Goldman's. Whatever.

Far as the clip and Roth, agreed it should come as a surprise to nobody that Roth did drugs, fucked groupies and went to excess at times. I thought we all knew that already.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah he clearly had a degree of self discipline that prevented that although I've always found it interesting that he didn't manage to stop smoking tobacco. It's possible that the coke did damage his career as maybe is caused the breakdown of key relationships in his career with band members and crucial people like Ted Templeman or Pete Angelus, who knows?
    Well, everybody has their vices. Tobacco seems pretty far down the list; personally harmful, to be sure. Maybe coke wasn't particularly helpful. Think like virtually every other entertainer he had a career arc with a peak. The entertainer crests the peak of the wave than has to figure out how to navigate the career after the heights have been reached. Some people crash into the water. Some people glide down the backside of the wave and go on to surf new (and, on occasion, even taller) waves.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    So anyone who says they know Dave I’m like fuck off, no you don’t. Maybe his dog knew him best.
    Only his fey asian houseboy 'masseuse' knows for sure.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Only his fey asian houseboy 'masseuse' knows for sure.
    I think the guy has deep seated distrust and is so guarded nobody is let in. Michael Anthony once said Dave came from a dysfunctional home situation. Not too long ago Dave said after his parents divorced he lived with his mom. His mom kicked him out of her house and he moved in with his dad. Dave was a teenager at this time. When Dave went back to his mom’s place there was another teenage boy living in his room and he wasn’t allowed to get his stuff. Dave left the story there and said, you try and figure the psychology on that one out. Anyways Dave refers to his mom as this cold person who always pointed out the negative.

If you can’t trust your own mother who can you trust? In his book Dave described himself as a loner who trusts nobody by choice. So that’s Dave. What we saw was the product of his passion. Diamond Dave was one of his projects and a project he put everything into. What better way to deal with deep seated pain than to rebel?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Famous people aren't any different than non-celebrities.

Plenty of famous people try to manage their public images. I'd guess that some do more than others. Not much different from what some non-famous people choose to put out on social media, or how they act in public vs. private. Some let it all hang out all the time. Some get their worst moments caught on film replayed over and over again, to the point where those moments define them out of proportion to the context of the entirety of their lives.

Nothing I've said in this post should be a revelation to anybody with even a minimal capacity to engage in critical thinking.

Trust can be tough to come by. Real friends vs. social acquaintances can be hard to come by, too, although confusing the two can be easy for some.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Famous people aren't any different than non-celebrities.

Plenty of famous people try to manage their public images. I'd guess that some do more than others. Not much different from what some non-famous people choose to put out on social media, or how they act in public vs. private. Some let it all hang out all the time. Some get their worst moments caught on film replayed over and over again, to the point where those moments define them out of proportion to the context of the entirety of their lives.

Nothing I've said in this post should be a revelation to anybody with even a minimal capacity to engage in critical thinking.

Trust can be tough to come by. Real friends vs. social acquaintances can be hard to come by, too, although confusing the two can be easy for some.
    Show business is the business of illusion. That illusion is carefully handled more so now than ever. Yeah there are some celebrities that are more of themselves. My parents owned a home in Newport Beach, CA. We would spend the summers down there. There was a restaurant we would eat at all the time and it’s still there and hasn’t changed much. It’s kind of a local icon. One time we were eating there and John Wayne and his family were at the next table. He had a home and a boat on the marina. I was probably six years old. John Wayne had a loud voice so you could hear him and he was the same guy you saw in the movies. He wasn’t acting much. It was a trip to see him in shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a fisherman’s hat.

32. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-01-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Here's my conspiracy theory on what happened to David Lee Roth