X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    There's miles of tape safely stored at Pacific Titles... pro-shot video, pro live audio, promos, TV appearances, even home movie footage from the band. The inventory sheets from this are on the web and have been posted here. Majority of the live material is from 78-85. It was discussed in one of the Sunset Studio podcasts in the last year or so...

Possibly Pete Angelus has more too...

I used to think it would be good for someone to suggest Dave contact Alex and say... hey let's see what's in the vault. But frankly it might be better to wait for Alex to pass and let his wife, kids and Wolfgang go after that gold mine. They won't have the "it's not up to our standards stick shoved up their asses"...
    I mean, for all the vitriol slung her way, at least Janie Hendrix has proven more than willing and greedy enough to scrape the bottom of the barrel and put out any recording Jimi Hendrix made.

Downside of that obviously being that one can never know if Jimi Hendrix would have wanted any of that stuff released in the manner it was (regardless of what Eddie Kramer had to say about that subject). The upside for hardcore Hendrix fans being that they can access the material.

If I'm being frank about it, even if Wolfgang and Dave and Alex all held a press conference and explicitly said they aren't inclined to put out a release of 1978-1984 material because Ed specifically told them he didn't want to see that stuff released and they're not releasing that stuff to honor what Ed would have wanted, as a fan I'd still want to see that stuff. Oh, yeah, 100% I would. To the point where I don't even care what the feelings of the people in the band are about it.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      It's times like this that Gene Simmons wishes he was still Van Halen's manager... so he could cash in on all of this.
      And Gene would have. Look at the KISSology dvds. Chock full of all that KISS footage from the 1970s.

I mean, it was never rocket science that KISS fans wanted to see that stuff. It's no secret what Van Halen fans want to see and hear.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mushroom
        Commando
        • Jul 2009

It's times like this that Gene Simmons wishes he was still Van Halen's manager... so he could cash in on all of this.
        It's times like these that I wish Gene Simmons was still Van Halen's manager...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, I only bought the first Kissology DVD set, because I have little to no interest in anything called "Kiss" after 1978 (aside from the brief mid-90s reunion). I was shocked to see how "bootleggy" it was. As if Gene literally bought some bootlegs on line and put them out as an official product. Quite the contrast from the Zeppelin DVD that Page put out, for example.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Remember when you cretins did drugs and believed Roth could sing?

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

There will never be enough drugs for me

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

That guitarist is alright but he looks like a gene-spliced clone of Chaim Witz & Ronnie James Dio.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hey they have taken enough uncredited from here over the years but yeah the VHND people are claiming an exclusive that this was recorded along with 13 other tracks live in May this year at Henson studios in 2 hours with Dave, bass drums and guitar.

Assuming that's true then it's by any measure good and I don't know what people are expecting or wanting at this point? For free - if it upsets you don't listen.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That said - looking at the comments on the social media almost everyone seems to be hating this. Many of the posts are dumb beyond belief like saying it's obviously a demo before the recording in 1984 or that Hagar is better or whatever but still I think it's maybe not a great idea to just release stuff without any context or details.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

That guitarist is alright but he looks like a gene-spliced clone of Chaim Witz & Ronnie James Dio.
                        He's a Eddie wannabe clone, if anything

Comment

• Silexxx
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2010

Maybe Dave originally planned to record those last shows and release them on cd / dvd. And since that obviously didn't happen he decided do it in studio.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Blabbermouth:

David Lee Roth has shared a previously unreleased solo version of the VAN HALEN classic "Panama". According to the Van Halen News Desk, the track, which was uploaded to Roth's YouTube channel Thursday night (September 1),was laid down on May 3, 2022 during a session at Henson Recording Studio in Hollywood, California. Joining Roth in the studio were Al Estrada on guitar, Ryan Wheeler on bass and Francis Valentino on drums. A total of 14 songs were recorded in two hours. The music and the vocals were tracked live with "no samples" and without the pitch-correction technology Auto-Tune.

Roth's version of "Panama" comes more than a month after he shared a previously unheard solo recording from 2007, "Nothing Could Have Stopped Us Back Then Anyway", in which he looked back nostalgically on his days in VAN HALEN. The latter song was recorded in 2007 with guitarist John 5 and drummer Gregg Bissonette for an album that never came out.

David Lee Roth has shared a previously unreleased solo version of the VAN HALEN classic "Panama". According to the Van Halen News Desk, the track, which was uploaded to Roth's YouTube channel Thursday night (September 1),was laid down on May 3, 2022 during a session at Henson Recording Studio in Ho...
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ryan Wheeler plays bass for Poppy. Kristy's gonna be PISSED!
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Doesn't seem to be much of a bass player. Poppy used to have superb musicians with her when her douchebag boyfriend/manager was with her now its whomever will play for her on union scale. I still find her to be entertaining as fuck even though she has mellowed because I guess she must have received plenty of cease and desist letter from Trent "Irrelevant" Reznor. Poppy needs to quit this shit, go back to her nihilistic roots and put out an album of violence and hate. Like she used to. Maybe she's getting old. She's like 27 now. That's 104 in musical dog years.

She's be great at a VH Reunion show. Singing House of Pain, of course.

Comment

Working...