X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    That said - looking at the comments on the social media almost everyone seems to be hating this. Many of the posts are dumb beyond belief like saying it's obviously a demo before the recording in 1984 or that Hagar is better or whatever but still I think it's maybe not a great idea to just release stuff without any context or details.
    I'm on the hating it bus... for me it's a simple matter of having heard Dave perform classic VH material from 1985 - 2006, 21 years worth, with multiple backing bands of varying quality... but not a damn one that can stack up to even a mediocre performance with the Van Halens... fuck that. Dave's singing capabilities aren't remarkable in any way, shape or form any more. Enough is enough.

Then there's the context/details. Recorded this past May... Only a few possible motivating options other than just a meaningless waste of time and money. Another attempt at limited Vegas "maybe I'm retiring" shows. Not interested... a demo to prove he can perform to participate in some "tribute" gig for Edward. Not interested...

What else..?

Dave can't release any recorded Van Halen material for financial gain without the Van Halen Enterprises' permission. Alex wouldn't sign off on anything like this... why would he possibly support it. Frankly, Dave's release of this on his personal youtube channel is on shaky legal grounds as it is. I'd fully support Alex/Wolfgang making him take it down.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      Frankly, Dave's release of this on his personal youtube channel is on shaky legal grounds as it is. I'd fully support Alex/Wolfgang making him take it down.
      How do you figure? He (co)wrote it!

Al and Wolfgang would have to go after every VH cover band and every kid playing Eruption on YouTube.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Hey they have taken enough uncredited from here over the years but yeah the VHND people are claiming an exclusive that this was recorded along with 13 other tracks live in May this year at Henson studios in 2 hours with Dave, bass drums and guitar.

Assuming that's true then it's by any measure good and I don't know what people are expecting or wanting at this point? For free - if it upsets you don't listen.
        I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune - like, setting the result to one side, what was the purpose?

I could maybe see if this was a recording of an audition for musicians to play in his solo act, in terms of Roth recording the auditions to evaluate the results. One assumes those type of auditions would have been made in 2019 in advance of the KISS tour, or in 2021 in advance of the Vegas stint.

Why re-record Panama live in May of this year? And, going on to the result, why put it out there? The result isn't anything other than competent far as the instrumentation goes.

I dunno. Maybe Dave is contemplating doing some live dates again.

Just strikes me as odd. Then again, Dave is odd, so I suppose that oddness makes...sense? At least he's not living on a ranch with a monkey and a self-contained kiddie-themed amusement park, so there's that...I suppose.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
          I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune -

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Remember when you cretins did drugs and believed Roth could sing?
            HeyIt'sDiamondDavidLeeRothhereoooooooooooooowhumul aybubulayhumulaybubulayhumulaybubulayzeebulaybopWe llLookAtAllThePeopleHereTonightHeyDon'tSquirtWater AtMeI'mGonnaFuckYourGirlfriendPaaal!!

And now, for my next number...
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
              Yeah, but as Zah said, how does Dave monetize that?
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune - like, setting the result to one side, what was the purpose?

I could maybe see if this was a recording of an audition for musicians to play in his solo act, in terms of Roth recording the auditions to evaluate the results. One assumes those type of auditions would have been made in 2019 in advance of the KISS tour, or in 2021 in advance of the Vegas stint.

Why re-record Panama live in May of this year? And, going on to the result, why put it out there? The result isn't anything other than competent far as the instrumentation goes.

I dunno. Maybe Dave is contemplating doing some live dates again.

Just strikes me as odd. Then again, Dave is odd, so I suppose that oddness makes...sense? At least he's not living on a ranch with a monkey and a self-contained kiddie-themed amusement park, so there's that...I suppose.
                The result, vocally, wasn’t that bad and at least much better than what he did on Tokyo Dome which was 2013.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  How do you figure? He (co)wrote it!

Al and Wolfgang would have to go after every VH cover band and every kid playing Eruption on YouTube.
                  I'm not an attorney... but as I understand the Intellectual Property rights for music there's a lot of complexity and in this case several business entities involved. Dave has credit as a song writer, but publishing rights are wrapped up with Warner Bros and 1 or possibly many variations of Van Halen LLCs for royalty and use legalities.

Aside from individuals posting personal performances of Van Halen music... it generally doesn't violate copyright laws and no entity could afford to shut down every instance of people posting their performances on the web. But where this gets complicated is Dave has specific legal rights and restrictions on his use of this material through the legal agreements that Joe Nobody's do not have. He can legally use it in his own live performances with other musicians... he may have pay performance fees for that use to Van Halen Enterprises and possibly WB or other entities tied to the old contracts. Based on Wolfgang's disclosure Alex is the sole owner of the recorded catalog with Wolfgang only retaining a vote representing his father's interests. Dave isn't an owner of Panama nor any of the other 6-pack recordings.

What Dave uses this recording for... how it's presented, used or any reference to the name, trademarks, copyrights, logos, images owned by Van Halen is where this gets complicated for Dave in a legal sense. Tie that to the deep emotional bonds within the Van Halen clan to Edward... they could very well take this posting of the recording as out of bounds for Dave and slap his ass legally... I wouldn't be surprised to see that from that vindictive bunch...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think they are due a percentage of earnings through their publishing but as long as Dave makes no money from it which seems entirely likely then I don't believe there could or would be legal action.

I imagine he must have been thinking about doing some more live shows and this was recorded to convince himself and/or promoters that despite what Gene $immons said, he can still do a credible performance.

Unfortunately him then putting it out on YouTube with no context or explanation has not gone well because people then treat it as being a replacement or alternative to the original and that makes them mad.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      I'm not an attorney... but as I understand the Intellectual Property rights for music there's a lot of complexity and in this case several business entities involved. Dave has credit as a song writer, but publishing rights are wrapped up with Warner Bros and 1 or possibly many variations of Van Halen LLCs for royalty and use legalities.

Aside from individuals posting personal performances of Van Halen music... it generally doesn't violate copyright laws and no entity could afford to shut down every instance of people posting their performances on the web. But where this gets complicated is Dave has specific legal rights and restrictions on his use of this material through the legal agreements that Joe Nobody's do not have. He can legally use it in his own live performances with other musicians... he may have pay performance fees for that use to Van Halen Enterprises and possibly WB or other entities tied to the old contracts. Based on Wolfgang's disclosure Alex is the sole owner of the recorded catalog with Wolfgang only retaining a vote representing his father's interests. Dave isn't an owner of Panama nor any of the other 6-pack recordings.

What Dave uses this recording for... how it's presented, used or any reference to the name, trademarks, copyrights, logos, images owned by Van Halen is where this gets complicated for Dave in a legal sense. Tie that to the deep emotional bonds within the Van Halen clan to Edward... they could very well take this posting of the recording as out of bounds for Dave and slap his ass legally... I wouldn't be surprised to see that from that vindictive bunch...
                      I doubt that very much.

Alex doesn’t own the existing CVH catalog any more than Dave does.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...