Thread: Roth Lives! Panama-David Lee Roth Studio Live

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Roth Lives! Panama-David Lee Roth Studio Live

So Dave just posted this to his YouTube. Anybody know if they’ve heard this before? It sounds straight from the studio and judging by the “Roth Lives” tag it may be very recent. If so, I think he sounds damn good personally. Whaddaya think?

https://youtu.be/bj5djJ6NMTE
    Last edited by MasonL; 09-01-2022 at 11:52 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (09-02-2022),Silexxx (09-02-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

I'm thinking rehearsals for the Vegas "retirement" shows... before they got cancelled due to Covid.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yawn... sounds like mediocre tribute/copy band crap. Seriously David needs to leave the classic hits alone if it's not backed by quality musicians with some sort of artistic reinterpretation other than Dave butchering the original melody off-key and forgetting the lyrics. Fuck that... just leave the classics as is... why soil the legacy with half-assed crap.

There's 10 year old kids out there that can at least play the intro guitar riff correctly, in the right key. The bass is lackluster mistiming and the drum work sucks elephant balls.

If you missed it... I think it sucks and Alex should send Dave a cease and desist order.
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 09-02-2022 at 08:15 AM.

5. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (09-02-2022),Terry (09-02-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Perhaps Dave was trying to show that he can still sing the song - at least the best he can at this point. Hence him posting this (and also the headline "Roth Lives!")

Obviously even Dave himself knows the music ain't VH cause its not them playing it. So I believe it wasn't a case of trying to re-record the original with his recent live band other than showcasing his vocal ability.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Once again, Dave sings "full "top" and top down" instead of "full [Bl]blast[/B] and top down"... He's done so for the whole 2007-08, 2012 and 2015 tours.

OK, it's a detail, but WTF?

8. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-02-2022)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 04:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Reminds me of Jimmy Page: living in the past. Not Robert Plant: exploring new sonic frontiers.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Perhaps Dave was trying to show that he can still sing the song - at least the best he can at this point. Hence him posting this (and also the headline "Roth Lives!")

Obviously even Dave himself knows the music ain't VH cause its not them playing it. So I believe it wasn't a case of trying to re-record the original with his recent live band other than showcasing his vocal ability.
    You mention "at this point"... This recording could be as old as late 2020 preparing for his initial Vegas residency, spring of 2021 for his Ki$$ tour or was from rehearsals in late 2021 for his retirement shows that never happened. Nothing close to recent in this timeline.

It's anywhere from 1-2 years old... Headline should read... "Roth Lived!"

I know I'm being Mr Negativity™... but after decades of Roth and the Van Halens refusing releases of legendary live material publicly claiming... "it wasn't up to our standards" bullshit... then he floats this turd in the punchbowl claiming "he lives!". Nope doesn't fly. He can do far better...

11. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    You mention "at this point"... This recording could be as old as late 2020 preparing for his initial Vegas residency, spring of 2021 for his Ki$$ tour or was from rehearsals in late 2021 for his retirement shows that never happened. Nothing close to recent in this timeline.

It's anywhere from 1-2 years old... Headline should read... "Roth Lived!"

I know I'm being Mr Negativity™... but after decades of Roth and the Van Halens refusing releases of legendary live material publicly claiming... "it wasn't up to our standards" bullshit... then he floats this turd in the punchbowl claiming "he lives!". Nope doesn't fly. He can do far better...
    I would agree.

But hey its ....something lol

Someone has to get into Al's ear to get in touch with Pete Angelus and see what they have in the live recordings vault. We have known for decades they have recordings.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be a complete one show from any of the years. Perhaps put together a collection of live tracks from every tour '78-'84, the best versions and release that.

Simply call it Van Halen Live: 1978-1984. Put it in a big vinyl box set - complete with reproductions of tour books from each tour, a poster, newspaper ads for shows, a reproduction of a concert rider, maybe even throw in a Blu Ray of the US Festival.

What better way to showcase a tribute to Ed than to have his best live work in a box set.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-02-2022 at 04:50 PM.

13. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I tend to doubt [Roth] can do far better than the performance in the clip, regardless of it being from 2020 or 2021.

It's just where his abilities are now. It's where his abilities have been for the last decade.

Perhaps not terrible considering his age, but that's not saying it's any good, either.

The backing band was competent. So? Hearing Steve Vai playing EVH's licks in 1986 was one thing, because back then Ed's licks still sounded fairly fresh and new. Hearing someone play Ed's licks these days? Meh.

Put it this way: I agreed with what Simmons had to say about Roth opening for KISS in 2020 regarding the comparison to Elvis in the last two years of his touring. Nobody worth listening to could reasonably say that what Roth was bringing to the stage in 2020 was even remotely close to Roth at his peak in the 1980s. Not in terms of showmanship or vocally. Anybody who saw the 2020 opening slot and from that concluded "Daves still got it, man!" needs their fucking head examined.

Roth made a smart decision to retire and gave an honest rationale as to why he was going to, in that he can no longer perform at a level of ability acceptable to himself. Hearing that clip doesn't make me to the slightest degree think Dave was wrong re: retiring.

15. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-02-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Reminds me of Jimmy Page: living in the past. Not Robert Plant: exploring new sonic frontiers.
    Well.. with Plant it's probably more a case of accepting the "sonic frontiers" his 74 year old voice can handle. He was having problems with some of those Zeppelin high notes even as far back as 1973. So if he wants to go more in a country direction at this point in his life, rather than pretend he's still 19 years old, more power to him. Dave Roth could actually take a lesson from that, instead of doing what he's done in recent years, attempting to push his vocals into those higher registers that he never went to on the VH records in his prime.

17. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There's miles of tape safely stored at Pacific Titles... pro-shot video, pro live audio, promos, TV appearances, even home movie footage from the band. The inventory sheets from this are on the web and have been posted here. Majority of the live material is from 78-85. It was discussed in one of the Sunset Studio podcasts in the last year or so...

Possibly Pete Angelus has more too...

I used to think it would be good for someone to suggest Dave contact Alex and say... hey let's see what's in the vault. But frankly it might be better to wait for Alex to pass and let his wife, kids and Wolfgang go after that gold mine. They won't have the "it's not up to our standards stick shoved up their asses"...

19. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I would agree.

But hey its ....something lol

Someone has to get into Al's ear to get in touch with Pete Angelus and see what they have in the live recordings vault. We have known for decades they have recordings.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be a complete one show from any of the years. Perhaps put together a collection of live tracks from every tour '78-'84, the best versions and release that.

Simply call it Van Halen Live: 1978-1984. Put it in a big vinyl box set - complete with reproductions of tour books from each tour, a poster, newspaper ads for shows, a reproduction of a concert rider, maybe even throw in a Blu Ray of the US Festival.

What better way to showcase a tribute to Ed than to have his best live work in a box set.
    I couldn't agree more that the best way to pay a tribute to Eddie would be to showcase his work from 1978-1984. Whatever media form that takes (vinyl, download), you don't pay tribute to Eddie by having Al, Dave and Mike go onstage now - decades past THEIR prime - with some other guitar player.

Although that live tribute scenario WOULD make sense in the typical fuck the fans Van Halen mindset. Hey, we finally got Mike and Dave and Alex Van Halen back onstage together! Too bad we dithered away the 20 years of opportunities we had to do that post-1996 while Eddie was still alive! But even though we screwed the pooch on that CVH reunion, we'll throw in guest appearances by Wolfgang Van Halen and Sammy Hagar to make up for it!!!

Fuck that nonsense.

21. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

FORD (09-02-2022),Vinnie Velvet (09-02-2022),ZahZoo (09-02-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's miles of tape safely stored at Pacific Titles... pro-shot video, pro live audio, promos, TV appearances, even home movie footage from the band. The inventory sheets from this are on the web and have been posted here. Majority of the live material is from 78-85. It was discussed in one of the Sunset Studio podcasts in the last year or so...

I used to think it would be good for someone to suggest Dave contact Alex and say... hey let's see what's in the vault. But frankly it might be better to wait for Alex to pass and let his wife, kids and Wolfgang go after that gold mine. They won't have the "it's not up to our standards stick shoved up their asses"...
    Sadly it may come to that knowing the way this band has done things.

23. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why doesn't Al look at what his favorite band Zeppelin did? Or the recent Sabbath box sets.

Like come on Al, do something.

25. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's times like this that Gene Simmons wishes he was still Van Halen's manager... so he could cash in on all of this.

27. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-02-2022),ZahZoo (09-03-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I mean, for all the vitriol slung her way, at least Janie Hendrix has proven more than willing and greedy enough to scrape the bottom of the barrel and put out any recording Jimi Hendrix made.

Downside of that obviously being that one can never know if Jimi Hendrix would have wanted any of that stuff released in the manner it was (regardless of what Eddie Kramer had to say about that subject). The upside for hardcore Hendrix fans being that they can access the material.

If I'm being frank about it, even if Wolfgang and Dave and Alex all held a press conference and explicitly said they aren't inclined to put out a release of 1978-1984 material because Ed specifically told them he didn't want to see that stuff released and they're not releasing that stuff to honor what Ed would have wanted, as a fan I'd still want to see that stuff. Oh, yeah, 100% I would. To the point where I don't even care what the feelings of the people in the band are about it.

29. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-03-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's times like this that Gene Simmons wishes he was still Van Halen's manager... so he could cash in on all of this.
    And Gene would have. Look at the KISSology dvds. Chock full of all that KISS footage from the 1970s.

I mean, it was never rocket science that KISS fans wanted to see that stuff. It's no secret what Van Halen fans want to see and hear.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's times like these that I wish Gene Simmons was still Van Halen's manager...

32. Thanked Mushroom for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-03-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I only bought the first Kissology DVD set, because I have little to no interest in anything called "Kiss" after 1978 (aside from the brief mid-90s reunion). I was shocked to see how "bootleggy" it was. As if Gene literally bought some bootlegs on line and put them out as an official product. Quite the contrast from the Zeppelin DVD that Page put out, for example.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Remember when you cretins did drugs and believed Roth could sing?

36. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-03-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There will never be enough drugs for me

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That guitarist is alright but he looks like a gene-spliced clone of Chaim Witz & Ronnie James Dio.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Hey they have taken enough uncredited from here over the years but yeah the VHND people are claiming an exclusive that this was recorded along with 13 other tracks live in May this year at Henson studios in 2 hours with Dave, bass drums and guitar.

Assuming that's true then it's by any measure good and I don't know what people are expecting or wanting at this point? For free - if it upsets you don't listen.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That said - looking at the comments on the social media almost everyone seems to be hating this. Many of the posts are dumb beyond belief like saying it's obviously a demo before the recording in 1984 or that Hagar is better or whatever but still I think it's maybe not a great idea to just release stuff without any context or details.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That guitarist is alright but he looks like a gene-spliced clone of Chaim Witz & Ronnie James Dio.
    He's a Eddie wannabe clone, if anything

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe Dave originally planned to record those last shows and release them on cd / dvd. And since that obviously didn't happen he decided do it in studio.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

Blabbermouth:

David Lee Roth has shared a previously unreleased solo version of the VAN HALEN classic "Panama". According to the Van Halen News Desk, the track, which was uploaded to Roth's YouTube channel Thursday night (September 1),was laid down on May 3, 2022 during a session at Henson Recording Studio in Hollywood, California. Joining Roth in the studio were Al Estrada on guitar, Ryan Wheeler on bass and Francis Valentino on drums. A total of 14 songs were recorded in two hours. The music and the vocals were tracked live with "no samples" and without the pitch-correction technology Auto-Tune.

Roth's version of "Panama" comes more than a month after he shared a previously unheard solo recording from 2007, "Nothing Could Have Stopped Us Back Then Anyway", in which he looked back nostalgically on his days in VAN HALEN. The latter song was recorded in 2007 with guitarist John 5 and drummer Gregg Bissonette for an album that never came out.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-...p_7CJE5cQLi0sg

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ryan Wheeler plays bass for Poppy. Kristy's gonna be PISSED!

45. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-03-2022)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Doesn't seem to be much of a bass player. Poppy used to have superb musicians with her when her douchebag boyfriend/manager was with her now its whomever will play for her on union scale. I still find her to be entertaining as fuck even though she has mellowed because I guess she must have received plenty of cease and desist letter from Trent "Irrelevant" Reznor. Poppy needs to quit this shit, go back to her nihilistic roots and put out an album of violence and hate. Like she used to. Maybe she's getting old. She's like 27 now. That's 104 in musical dog years.

She's be great at a VH Reunion show. Singing House of Pain, of course.

47. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (09-03-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    That said - looking at the comments on the social media almost everyone seems to be hating this. Many of the posts are dumb beyond belief like saying it's obviously a demo before the recording in 1984 or that Hagar is better or whatever but still I think it's maybe not a great idea to just release stuff without any context or details.
    I'm on the hating it bus... for me it's a simple matter of having heard Dave perform classic VH material from 1985 - 2006, 21 years worth, with multiple backing bands of varying quality... but not a damn one that can stack up to even a mediocre performance with the Van Halens... fuck that. Dave's singing capabilities aren't remarkable in any way, shape or form any more. Enough is enough.

Then there's the context/details. Recorded this past May... Only a few possible motivating options other than just a meaningless waste of time and money. Another attempt at limited Vegas "maybe I'm retiring" shows. Not interested... a demo to prove he can perform to participate in some "tribute" gig for Edward. Not interested...

What else..?

Dave can't release any recorded Van Halen material for financial gain without the Van Halen Enterprises' permission. Alex wouldn't sign off on anything like this... why would he possibly support it. Frankly, Dave's release of this on his personal youtube channel is on shaky legal grounds as it is. I'd fully support Alex/Wolfgang making him take it down.

49. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-03-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Frankly, Dave's release of this on his personal youtube channel is on shaky legal grounds as it is. I'd fully support Alex/Wolfgang making him take it down.
    How do you figure? He (co)wrote it!

Al and Wolfgang would have to go after every VH cover band and every kid playing Eruption on YouTube.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Hey they have taken enough uncredited from here over the years but yeah the VHND people are claiming an exclusive that this was recorded along with 13 other tracks live in May this year at Henson studios in 2 hours with Dave, bass drums and guitar.

Assuming that's true then it's by any measure good and I don't know what people are expecting or wanting at this point? For free - if it upsets you don't listen.
    I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune - like, setting the result to one side, what was the purpose?

I could maybe see if this was a recording of an audition for musicians to play in his solo act, in terms of Roth recording the auditions to evaluate the results. One assumes those type of auditions would have been made in 2019 in advance of the KISS tour, or in 2021 in advance of the Vegas stint.

Why re-record Panama live in May of this year? And, going on to the result, why put it out there? The result isn't anything other than competent far as the instrumentation goes.

I dunno. Maybe Dave is contemplating doing some live dates again.

Just strikes me as odd. Then again, Dave is odd, so I suppose that oddness makes...sense? At least he's not living on a ranch with a monkey and a self-contained kiddie-themed amusement park, so there's that...I suppose.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune -

53. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-03-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Remember when you cretins did drugs and believed Roth could sing?
    HeyIt'sDiamondDavidLeeRothhereoooooooooooooowhumul aybubulayhumulaybubulayhumulaybubulayzeebulaybopWe llLookAtAllThePeopleHereTonightHeyDon'tSquirtWater AtMeI'mGonnaFuckYourGirlfriendPaaal!!

And now, for my next number...

55. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (09-03-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Yeah, but as Zah said, how does Dave monetize that?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'm just confused as to why Roth would want to re-record Panama - or any other CVH tune - like, setting the result to one side, what was the purpose?

I could maybe see if this was a recording of an audition for musicians to play in his solo act, in terms of Roth recording the auditions to evaluate the results. One assumes those type of auditions would have been made in 2019 in advance of the KISS tour, or in 2021 in advance of the Vegas stint.

Why re-record Panama live in May of this year? And, going on to the result, why put it out there? The result isn't anything other than competent far as the instrumentation goes.

I dunno. Maybe Dave is contemplating doing some live dates again.

Just strikes me as odd. Then again, Dave is odd, so I suppose that oddness makes...sense? At least he's not living on a ranch with a monkey and a self-contained kiddie-themed amusement park, so there's that...I suppose.
    The result, vocally, wasn’t that bad and at least much better than what he did on Tokyo Dome which was 2013.

58. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Never was (09-05-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    How do you figure? He (co)wrote it!

Al and Wolfgang would have to go after every VH cover band and every kid playing Eruption on YouTube.
    I'm not an attorney... but as I understand the Intellectual Property rights for music there's a lot of complexity and in this case several business entities involved. Dave has credit as a song writer, but publishing rights are wrapped up with Warner Bros and 1 or possibly many variations of Van Halen LLCs for royalty and use legalities.

Aside from individuals posting personal performances of Van Halen music... it generally doesn't violate copyright laws and no entity could afford to shut down every instance of people posting their performances on the web. But where this gets complicated is Dave has specific legal rights and restrictions on his use of this material through the legal agreements that Joe Nobody's do not have. He can legally use it in his own live performances with other musicians... he may have pay performance fees for that use to Van Halen Enterprises and possibly WB or other entities tied to the old contracts. Based on Wolfgang's disclosure Alex is the sole owner of the recorded catalog with Wolfgang only retaining a vote representing his father's interests. Dave isn't an owner of Panama nor any of the other 6-pack recordings.

What Dave uses this recording for... how it's presented, used or any reference to the name, trademarks, copyrights, logos, images owned by Van Halen is where this gets complicated for Dave in a legal sense. Tie that to the deep emotional bonds within the Van Halen clan to Edward... they could very well take this posting of the recording as out of bounds for Dave and slap his ass legally... I wouldn't be surprised to see that from that vindictive bunch...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think they are due a percentage of earnings through their publishing but as long as Dave makes no money from it which seems entirely likely then I don't believe there could or would be legal action.

I imagine he must have been thinking about doing some more live shows and this was recorded to convince himself and/or promoters that despite what Gene $immons said, he can still do a credible performance.

Unfortunately him then putting it out on YouTube with no context or explanation has not gone well because people then treat it as being a replacement or alternative to the original and that makes them mad.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not an attorney... but as I understand the Intellectual Property rights for music there's a lot of complexity and in this case several business entities involved. Dave has credit as a song writer, but publishing rights are wrapped up with Warner Bros and 1 or possibly many variations of Van Halen LLCs for royalty and use legalities.

Aside from individuals posting personal performances of Van Halen music... it generally doesn't violate copyright laws and no entity could afford to shut down every instance of people posting their performances on the web. But where this gets complicated is Dave has specific legal rights and restrictions on his use of this material through the legal agreements that Joe Nobody's do not have. He can legally use it in his own live performances with other musicians... he may have pay performance fees for that use to Van Halen Enterprises and possibly WB or other entities tied to the old contracts. Based on Wolfgang's disclosure Alex is the sole owner of the recorded catalog with Wolfgang only retaining a vote representing his father's interests. Dave isn't an owner of Panama nor any of the other 6-pack recordings.

What Dave uses this recording for... how it's presented, used or any reference to the name, trademarks, copyrights, logos, images owned by Van Halen is where this gets complicated for Dave in a legal sense. Tie that to the deep emotional bonds within the Van Halen clan to Edward... they could very well take this posting of the recording as out of bounds for Dave and slap his ass legally... I wouldn't be surprised to see that from that vindictive bunch...
    I doubt that very much.

Alex doesn’t own the existing CVH catalog any more than Dave does.

Thread Information