X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasonL
    Groupie
    • May 2022

Roth Lives! Panama-David Lee Roth Studio Live

So Dave just posted this to his YouTube. Anybody know if they’ve heard this before? It sounds straight from the studio and judging by the “Roth Lives” tag it may be very recent. If so, I think he sounds damn good personally. Whaddaya think?

Last edited by MasonL; 09-01-2022, 11:52 PM.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm thinking rehearsals for the Vegas "retirement" shows... before they got cancelled due to Covid.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yawn... sounds like mediocre tribute/copy band crap. Seriously David needs to leave the classic hits alone if it's not backed by quality musicians with some sort of artistic reinterpretation other than Dave butchering the original melody off-key and forgetting the lyrics. Fuck that... just leave the classics as is... why soil the legacy with half-assed crap.

There's 10 year old kids out there that can at least play the intro guitar riff correctly, in the right key. The bass is lackluster mistiming and the drum work sucks elephant balls.

If you missed it... I think it sucks and Alex should send Dave a cease and desist order.
      Last edited by ZahZoo; 09-02-2022, 08:15 AM.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Perhaps Dave was trying to show that he can still sing the song - at least the best he can at this point. Hence him posting this (and also the headline "Roth Lives!")

Obviously even Dave himself knows the music ain't VH cause its not them playing it. So I believe it wasn't a case of trying to re-record the original with his recent live band other than showcasing his vocal ability.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Once again, Dave sings "full "top" and top down" instead of "full [Bl]blast[/B] and top down"... He's done so for the whole 2007-08, 2012 and 2015 tours.

OK, it's a detail, but WTF?
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Mushroom
            Commando
            • Jul 2009

Reminds me of Jimmy Page: living in the past. Not Robert Plant: exploring new sonic frontiers.

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
              Perhaps Dave was trying to show that he can still sing the song - at least the best he can at this point. Hence him posting this (and also the headline "Roth Lives!")

Obviously even Dave himself knows the music ain't VH cause its not them playing it. So I believe it wasn't a case of trying to re-record the original with his recent live band other than showcasing his vocal ability.
              You mention "at this point"... This recording could be as old as late 2020 preparing for his initial Vegas residency, spring of 2021 for his Ki$$ tour or was from rehearsals in late 2021 for his retirement shows that never happened. Nothing close to recent in this timeline.

It's anywhere from 1-2 years old... Headline should read... "Roth Lived!"

I know I'm being Mr Negativity™... but after decades of Roth and the Van Halens refusing releases of legendary live material publicly claiming... "it wasn't up to our standards" bullshit... then he floats this turd in the punchbowl claiming "he lives!". Nope doesn't fly. He can do far better...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                You mention "at this point"... This recording could be as old as late 2020 preparing for his initial Vegas residency, spring of 2021 for his Ki$$ tour or was from rehearsals in late 2021 for his retirement shows that never happened. Nothing close to recent in this timeline.

It's anywhere from 1-2 years old... Headline should read... "Roth Lived!"

I know I'm being Mr Negativity™... but after decades of Roth and the Van Halens refusing releases of legendary live material publicly claiming... "it wasn't up to our standards" bullshit... then he floats this turd in the punchbowl claiming "he lives!". Nope doesn't fly. He can do far better...
                I would agree.

But hey its ....something lol

Someone has to get into Al's ear to get in touch with Pete Angelus and see what they have in the live recordings vault. We have known for decades they have recordings.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be a complete one show from any of the years. Perhaps put together a collection of live tracks from every tour '78-'84, the best versions and release that.

Simply call it Van Halen Live: 1978-1984. Put it in a big vinyl box set - complete with reproductions of tour books from each tour, a poster, newspaper ads for shows, a reproduction of a concert rider, maybe even throw in a Blu Ray of the US Festival.

What better way to showcase a tribute to Ed than to have his best live work in a box set.
                Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-02-2022, 04:50 PM.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I tend to doubt [Roth] can do far better than the performance in the clip, regardless of it being from 2020 or 2021.

It's just where his abilities are now. It's where his abilities have been for the last decade.

Perhaps not terrible considering his age, but that's not saying it's any good, either.

The backing band was competent. So? Hearing Steve Vai playing EVH's licks in 1986 was one thing, because back then Ed's licks still sounded fairly fresh and new. Hearing someone play Ed's licks these days? Meh.

Put it this way: I agreed with what Simmons had to say about Roth opening for KISS in 2020 regarding the comparison to Elvis in the last two years of his touring. Nobody worth listening to could reasonably say that what Roth was bringing to the stage in 2020 was even remotely close to Roth at his peak in the 1980s. Not in terms of showmanship or vocally. Anybody who saw the 2020 opening slot and from that concluded "Daves still got it, man!" needs their fucking head examined.

Roth made a smart decision to retire and gave an honest rationale as to why he was going to, in that he can no longer perform at a level of ability acceptable to himself. Hearing that clip doesn't make me to the slightest degree think Dave was wrong re: retiring.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                    Reminds me of Jimmy Page: living in the past. Not Robert Plant: exploring new sonic frontiers.
                    Well.. with Plant it's probably more a case of accepting the "sonic frontiers" his 74 year old voice can handle. He was having problems with some of those Zeppelin high notes even as far back as 1973. So if he wants to go more in a country direction at this point in his life, rather than pretend he's still 19 years old, more power to him. Dave Roth could actually take a lesson from that, instead of doing what he's done in recent years, attempting to push his vocals into those higher registers that he never went to on the VH records in his prime.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

There's miles of tape safely stored at Pacific Titles... pro-shot video, pro live audio, promos, TV appearances, even home movie footage from the band. The inventory sheets from this are on the web and have been posted here. Majority of the live material is from 78-85. It was discussed in one of the Sunset Studio podcasts in the last year or so...

Possibly Pete Angelus has more too...

I used to think it would be good for someone to suggest Dave contact Alex and say... hey let's see what's in the vault. But frankly it might be better to wait for Alex to pass and let his wife, kids and Wolfgang go after that gold mine. They won't have the "it's not up to our standards stick shoved up their asses"...

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        I would agree.

But hey its ....something lol

Someone has to get into Al's ear to get in touch with Pete Angelus and see what they have in the live recordings vault. We have known for decades they have recordings.

I mean, it doesn't even have to be a complete one show from any of the years. Perhaps put together a collection of live tracks from every tour '78-'84, the best versions and release that.

Simply call it Van Halen Live: 1978-1984. Put it in a big vinyl box set - complete with reproductions of tour books from each tour, a poster, newspaper ads for shows, a reproduction of a concert rider, maybe even throw in a Blu Ray of the US Festival.

What better way to showcase a tribute to Ed than to have his best live work in a box set.
                        I couldn't agree more that the best way to pay a tribute to Eddie would be to showcase his work from 1978-1984. Whatever media form that takes (vinyl, download), you don't pay tribute to Eddie by having Al, Dave and Mike go onstage now - decades past THEIR prime - with some other guitar player.

Although that live tribute scenario WOULD make sense in the typical fuck the fans Van Halen mindset. Hey, we finally got Mike and Dave and Alex Van Halen back onstage together! Too bad we dithered away the 20 years of opportunities we had to do that post-1996 while Eddie was still alive! But even though we screwed the pooch on that CVH reunion, we'll throw in guest appearances by Wolfgang Van Halen and Sammy Hagar to make up for it!!!

Fuck that nonsense.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

There's miles of tape safely stored at Pacific Titles... pro-shot video, pro live audio, promos, TV appearances, even home movie footage from the band. The inventory sheets from this are on the web and have been posted here. Majority of the live material is from 78-85. It was discussed in one of the Sunset Studio podcasts in the last year or so...

I used to think it would be good for someone to suggest Dave contact Alex and say... hey let's see what's in the vault. But frankly it might be better to wait for Alex to pass and let his wife, kids and Wolfgang go after that gold mine. They won't have the "it's not up to our standards stick shoved up their asses"...
                          Sadly it may come to that knowing the way this band has done things.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Why doesn't Al look at what his favorite band Zeppelin did? Or the recent Sabbath box sets.

Like come on Al, do something.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's times like this that Gene Simmons wishes he was still Van Halen's manager... so he could cash in on all of this.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...