X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.

Dave learned to speak her language and that's when she realized she didn't like listening to his incessant bullshit.

So Dave's hyperbole didn't translate well into Japanese...couldn't he have wowed her with his funky chicken dance moves while clothed in overalls and an ascot?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

And now, You Really Got Me:

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

How quaint... Dave's Cover band™ playing a cover of a cover... right before your naked steaming eyes, with cataracts.
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
          Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.
          The correct term is 'identifying as a Nip'.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

or 'Nipponese Fuckwit' as an alternate term.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

I particularly like how a pic of Dave circa 1978 was used to illustrate the clip.

Sort of echoes the poster outside the Hard Rock venue in Orlando when I saw him in 2006, which was also a 1978 photo.

I'm not gonna bother listening to the YRGM clip: in some odd way, I think people listening to this stuff somehow just encourages Dave to keep re-recording these CVH tunes. If I wanna hear YRGM, I'll listen to the first album or a CVH boot. Not Dave fronting a bunch of no-name musicians circa 2021/2022 trying to note-for-note recreate the CVH stuff. That stuff was already done great the first time around, and Dave isn't gonna top any of it via re-recording it.

I mean, is that all Dave wants to do these days? Is it that it's not worth anything financially to expend the effort to write new material? I dunno, but this batch of CVH re-recordings come off to me like Dave is just doing a karaoke take on his past glories. Does anybody else get that feeling?
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That's the feeling I get... karaoke backing tracks always suck for a reason... subpar bullshit in the spirit of Van Halen is still subpar bullshit.

Comment

• Silexxx
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Sep 2010

VH covers now available in Tidal and Spotify. Released under Wawaza!! Records. No Michael Anthonys name in credits for VH originals, just Dave, Eddie and Alex.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I can only think that things are not good between Roth and the Van Halens which historically speaking is really more like just a painful depressing return to normality.

Kind of like interest rates...

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I tend to think things are neither good or bad between Roth and the Van Halens nowadays. Imagine it's more a case of Dave doing whatever he is doing, and the same for Alex. The impression I got when Roth was working with the Van Halens from 2006-2015 was that they didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together socially. Then again, that seemed to sort of be the case when CVH was active, too. More and more so as the band got more and more successful.

I could see Dave giving Alex a call once in a blue moon these days. Who knows?
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        I tend to think things are neither good or bad between Roth and the Van Halens nowadays. Imagine it's more a case of Dave doing whatever he is doing, and the same for Alex. The impression I got when Roth was working with the Van Halens from 2006-2015 was that they didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together socially. Then again, that seemed to sort of be the case when CVH was active, too. More and more so as the band got more and more successful.

I'd say they are cordial. Maybe more since Ed passed.

Alex is pretty much retired and Dave is just doing what he can to stay in the limelight. I think he was serious about his retirement announcement as I dont think he can perform on stage anymore.

Otherwise he will end up like Jackson or Prince. Dave was a high energy, high impact performer that had lots of injuries hence lots of surgeries etc.

People don't realize all that stuff takes its toll on your body.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry

I think with Al it was always about him and his brother. Alex Lifeson said he couldn’t play music after Niel Peart died. It was too painful. If a person is that traumatized over losing a good friend and band mate how much more traumatizing for Alex? Hard enough to play in the privacy of your home but in public? Impossible. I’ve seen people pull the curtains shut and live in darkness for years after they lost a child or a spouse. Death hits some people extremely hard.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            I think with Al it was always about him and his brother. Alex Lifeson said he couldn’t play music after Niel Peart died. It was too painful. If a person is that traumatized over losing a good friend and band mate how much more traumatizing for Alex? Hard enough to play in the privacy of your home but in public? Impossible. I’ve seen people pull the curtains shut and live in darkness for years after they lost a child or a spouse. Death hits some people extremely hard.
                            Agreed.

Alex won't be playing anything with anyone else like ever. Has he ever played with anyone besides Ed? Nope.

Eddie on the other hand did. He jammed with others many times. Perhaps much easier to do just plugging in your guitar rather than have to set up your own drums for a gig. But Alex never played with anyone else besides his brother.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It just saddens me seeing this current state of Van Halen and Dave's musical catalog...

Knowing that a significant amount of really interesting recordings, from classic live performances, studio out-takes and just raw scratch/jam tracks sit idle in storage somewhere. The best that is produced today is Karaoke Dave and the Cover Band™...

Fucking pathetic...

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                It just saddens me seeing this current state of Van Halen and Dave's musical catalog...

Knowing that a significant amount of really interesting recordings, from classic live performances, studio out-takes and just raw scratch/jam tracks sit idle in storage somewhere. The best that is produced today is Karaoke Dave and the Cover Band™...

Fucking pathetic...
                                It is a bit saddening.

I'd have to imagine the Van Halens, Dave and Mike have some of that CVH stuff you mentioned in their personal possession. That stuff is the material I'd want to see and hear. Not Ed's kid playing CVH tunes, nor Dave re-recording old CVH tunes.

Fortunately, a decent amount of CVH live audio/video boots managed to get circulated. Not the greatest sound or visual quality, but it is what it is.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...