Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Von Halen View Post
    Let's call it what it is. LAME!

These bullshit recordings serve ZERO purpose.

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

If this were Clichegar doing this shit, he'd be getting lambasted.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. The guy has a knack for doing great covers of other poeple's songs. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
    That's why they say quit while you are on top. Don't linger around long enough to let the public see how really lame you have become.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
      Hey I agree with that. Estrada is ok but the drums suck.
      Yeah I kind of liked him on "CHIPS" too. That guy probably got more ass than a toilet seat in the 70's.

Comment

Someone needs to lock Dave up before he destroys his legacy even more.

Comment

I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?
          Von...It's the definitive version of this song...
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Let's call it what it is. LAME!

These bullshit recordings serve ZERO purpose.

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
            100%.

Don't do it.

Leave well enough alone when it comes to Van Halen.

Dave (apparently) didn't want to do a live tribute to Eddie after his passing - a hypothetical event I was actually glad never came to pass - and he should make a similar choice re: Van Halen studio recordings.

Don't tinker around retreading old steps.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

The true tribute to Eddie Van Halen is lot’s of people love his music and with continue to love it in the future.

Comment

Nah. I think he just woke up one day and said "I wanna do that live album!" and then decided to uploaded it on YouTube one song at a time. A lot of artist does these studio live things. But they usually have a video with the audio and I think because Dave (seems like it) didn't filmed it makes it look like a he's just rerecording old VH songs, rather than "songs from a studio live gig".

Comment

Many may view this as some impulsive thing that Dave had a brain fart and threw this together one day on a whim...

But Henson Studios is one of the top facilities in LA and pretty much booked year round, plus you have to reserve it months in advance. Depending on which room you reserve rates are over $200 an hour plus hourly rates for engineers on top of that. Then there's hourly rates for post-recording production.

Several thousand to record this, plus I assume he paid the musicians for their time... Money well spent..?
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

I'm leaning towards what Vinnie said. I think Dave may be doing this to sell these songs for commercials and stuff. I doubt he needs the dough, but if people are offering and the other VH's are making it difficult, I can see why he'd bypass the system in this way. I guess we will find out if we start hearing these versions in commercials.

Comment

Not impossible I suppose.

I posted elsewhere Van Halen charged The Sopranos $80k for about 10 seconds of RWTD playing in the background on a radio in a cafe and that was 15 or more years ago.

Comment

I'm leaning towards what Vinnie said. I think Dave may be doing this to sell these songs for commercials and stuff. I doubt he needs the dough, but if people are offering and the other VH's are making it difficult, I can see why he'd bypass the system in this way. I guess we will find out if we start hearing these versions in commercials.
                        That's interesting.

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs re: songwriting copyrights, licensing, etc. It can't be the case that merely by recording a newer version with musicians other than the original ones all of that sidesteps whoever holds the copyright(s) on the original material as pertains toward whatever existing licensing agreement said copyright holders have and the inclusive licensing rights within that agreement.

In other words, surely it isn't the case that Dave can just go into a studio, re-record the CVH material, then unilaterally decide to license those newer versions for commercials or ads. I'm basing that on the assumption that both Wolfgang via Eddie's estate and Alex both hold the copyrights - along with the licensing rights - on the Van Halen material along with Dave.

Again, I'm not sure how any of that works legally.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

I don't think this would be allowed under copyright restrictions without the Van Halens signing off on it.

Why would Dave do this... he stands to gain more financially if the original VH recordings were licensed for commercial use.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            That's interesting.

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs re: songwriting copyrights, licensing, etc. It can't be the case that merely by recording a newer version with musicians other than the original ones all of that sidesteps whoever holds the copyright(s) on the original material as pertains toward whatever existing licensing agreement said copyright holders have and the inclusive licensing rights within that agreement.

In other words, surely it isn't the case that Dave can just go into a studio, re-record the CVH material, then unilaterally decide to license those newer versions for commercials or ads. I'm basing that on the assumption that both Wolfgang via Eddie's estate and Alex both hold the copyrights - along with the licensing rights - on the Van Halen material along with Dave.

Again, I'm not sure how any of that works legally.
                            I cited previously the main reason "KISS" (without Ace and Peter) re-recorded a number of classics. I have read it was because so they could actually make money off of allowing other merchants use the music for commercials or in say video games. Now, some just want to hear the originals. So they pay whatever it is to use it. In the recent Stranger Things season they had Detroit Rock City featured in one of the scenes. This was clearly the original version and not the re-record. And Paul and Gene likely didn't get much if anything cause they don't even own the publishing rights anymore.
                            Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-16-2022, 05:06 PM.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                              Not impossible I suppose.

I posted elsewhere Van Halen charged The Sopranos $80k for about 10 seconds of RWTD playing in the background on a radio in a cafe and that was 15 or more years ago.
                              They also made a similar amount with Stay Frosty and Tattoo during an episode of CSI in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by ZahZoo View Post
                                They also made a similar amount with Stay Frosty and Tattoo during an episode of CSI in 2012.
                                Thats right.

I believe that movie Ready Player One a few years back used Jump and most likely played a hefty fee for it.
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...
                                X