• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
    That's interesting.

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs re: songwriting copyrights, licensing, etc. It can't be the case that merely by recording a newer version with musicians other than the original ones all of that sidesteps whoever holds the copyright(s) on the original material as pertains toward whatever existing licensing agreement said copyright holders have and the inclusive licensing rights within that agreement.
    There are two sets of copyrights behind every single song: the musical composition (harmony, melody, lyrics, and so forth), which belongs to songwriters, and the master recording, which is a particular audio expression of that underlying composition. It doesn't seem as common as it used to be for reasons I don't know but back in the day if say you were in MacDonalds if you listened closely you might notice that the music being played was actually cover versions of popular songs. Similarly the recording studio we used would produce facsimiles of songs for TV and radio commercials. The sums involved meant that to avoid paying for the second part to the original artist it was cheaper to pay the studio thousands to bring in local singers and musicians to rerecord them.

If Dave were to do this he would have the advantage of the unique part which is his voice. The other members of the band would still get their writing royalties but he would the performance royalty. I think. That's the way it used to work anyway.

This is all theoretical and I'm not convinced that's what is going on here.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      There are two sets of copyrights behind every single song: the musical composition (harmony, melody, lyrics, and so forth), which belongs to songwriters, and the master recording, which is a particular audio expression of that underlying composition. It doesn't seem as common as it used to be for reasons I don't know but back in the day if say you were in MacDonalds if you listened closely you might notice that the music being played was actually cover versions of popular songs. Similarly the recording studio we used would produce facsimiles of songs for TV and radio commercials. The sums involved meant that to avoid paying for the second part to the original artist it was cheaper to pay the studio thousands to bring in local singers and musicians to rerecord them.

If Dave were to do this he would have the advantage of the unique part which is his voice. The other members of the band would still get their writing royalties but he would the performance royalty. I think. That's the way it used to work anyway.

This is all theoretical and I'm not convinced that's what is going on here.
      I think I understand it, most of which is basically along the lines of what I already thought re: copyrights.

I'm not quite sure what is going on here either with re-recording the old VH tracks, beyond Dave just being odd.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Not sure, but didn't Taylor Swift re-record the songs that she signed away? SO the thinking that these newly recorded songs could be used more freely with more comp?
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I dunno, he was slandered quite heavily, probably most so by ardent fans like us. The live performances were strained. This could be nothing more than trying to say hey, I can stilll deliver.
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Not onstage he can’t.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Dave is the poster child for old creepy rock star.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                I dunno, he was slandered quite heavily, probably most so by ardent fans like us. The live performances were strained. This could be nothing more than trying to say hey, I can stilll deliver.
                He was criticized quite heavily. Slandered would be things about him that were demonstrably untrue.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

He was criticized quite heavily. Slandered would be things about him that were demonstrably untrue.
                  This is correct!
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                    This is correct!
                    Like, when I say not only was Roth never heterosexual, but he is currently in a loving, exclusive relationship with his long time live-in Asian male masseuse, that could potentially be slander should it turn out to be untrue.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      Let's call it what it is. LAME!

These bullshit recordings serve ZERO purpose.

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

If this were Clichegar doing this shit, he'd be getting lambasted.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. The guy has a knack for doing great covers of other poeple's songs. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
                      Yup. Nobody is above having some tomatoes thrown at them when they suck. I believe in meritocracy. Accepting mediocrity just spreads the suck through society like a virus.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Like, when I say not only was Roth never heterosexual, but he is currently in a loving, exclusive relationship with his long time live-in Asian male masseuse, that could potentially be slander should it turn out to be untrue.
                        Dave always said he wanted to live life like a sailor. Not tied to anyone or anything. I think that's how he rolls the only problem is when you get old and you are no longer The Guy, life can get lonely.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          Dave always said he wanted to live life like a sailor. Not tied to anyone or anything. I think that's how he rolls the only problem is when you get old and you are no longer The Guy, life can get lonely.
                          Did he have that young Jap girlfriend back in 2013? wonder what happened there.

Dave has had several girlfriends but none of them really panned out to anything long term. There was Apollonia who to this day says she and Dave were very much in love.

But that didn't last as well.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            Did he have that young Jap girlfriend back in 2013? wonder what happened there.
                            Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.

Dave learned to speak her language and that's when she realized she didn't like listening to his incessant bullshit.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.
                              Oops.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Dave learned to speak her language and that's when she realized she didn't like listening to his incessant bullshit.
                                Careful Von... the Pronoun police may be on to you!
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...