• Silexxx
      Head Fluffer
      • Sep 2010

Ain't That Peculiar

Comment

• Silexxx
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2010

Ben Affleck, director of the excellent movie, “Air,” coming April 5th to theaters, has one of the best soundtracks of all time. There are dozens of hit songs in “Air,” and Affleck chose them all himself, not using a music supervisor. The music, all from the early to mid 80s, moves along the story of […]

So how did “Tempted” from 1982 wind up in “Air”?

Affleck told me this week at the “Air” Party in New York: “Originally I had Jump by Van Halen in that spot. But you can’t license Jump or any Van Halen song. Apparently they’re all fighting with each other and no one can agree on anything. So we gave up. I’m much happier with Tempted anyway.”

Does this confirm why Dave is re-recording VH songs? Also could this also explain why the mix is so basic in these re-recordings? So that it's easier to use in background or something in a movie or a trailer?

Comment

• Silexxx
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2010

Atomic Punk

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
            I dunno...I just have no interest in these Roth Rerecords CVH Tunes cuts. I listened to...WTF was it...Panama (I think) earlier in this thread and there was nothing about it that made me either want to hear it again or see the necessity of it in any shape or form.

As I may have mentioned, I could see where Roth might have desired to have videotaped or record musicians playing CVH tunes live in an audition situation as a way of him being able to go back and assess who he wanted in his band for potential live performances.

From what I gather, though, this was Roth re-recording the CVH material in a studio situation after the last Vegas stint was cancelled and he was already ostensibly retired...do I have that correct in terms of the situation/chronology?

If so, it's both weird and not of interest to me. If I wanna hear Everybody Wants Some I'll throw on WACF. What I'm not gonna do is listen to Roth circa 2022 take a bunch of working musicians in the studio and try to recreate the CVH material. Is there anybody who really wants to hear that? Fuckin' christ.
            Dave is past the sell date.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              What a gawd damned embarrassment... There's a herd of 16 year olds that can perform that song better all day long...
              Dave still keeps the legacy no matter how hard he tries to destroy it. That probably pisses old Sam off.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Anyways I don’t find Dave’s delusional ego entertaining at all. I’m just seeing the other band members were saying the truth about him. The dude can’t see past his own ego and is an embarrassing attention whore.

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  ...and is an embarrassing attention whore.
                  Yeah, but that's always been his job now, hasn't it?
                  Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Silexxx

Atomic Punk

No, just no. Dave, stop!

You are not improving CVH songs!

Go back to re-record some Skyscraper cuts and remove the cheesey keyboards!

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Based on what Ben Affleck just said about not being able to use "Jump" in a movie and even Val stating recently she had to really fight to get approval to use one of the Van Hagar songs, I'm betting Dave is doing these strictly for licensing purposes. Unless he has some side deal with Al on this, I'm betting this won't strengthen their relationship any, if he is doing this. But hey, who knows. Between WVH and WB being pains in the ass, maybe Dave did strike a deal with Al to work it this way.

There can not possibly be any other reason in the world Dave is re-recording these songs. Even Dave knows they aren't an improvement or comparable to the real thing. As background noise in a commercial or movie, yes. But nobody in their right mind is going to throw these versions on over the originals. Not a chance.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                        No, just no. Dave, stop!

You are not improving CVH songs!

Go back to re-record some Skyscraper cuts and remove the cheesey keyboards!
                        Or better yet, just release the original, less cheesey, master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have a copy of.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          Based on what Ben Affleck just said about not being able to use "Jump" in a movie and even Val stating recently she had to really fight to get approval to use one of the Van Hagar songs, I'm betting Dave is doing these strictly for licensing purposes. Unless he has some side deal with Al on this, I'm betting this won't strengthen their relationship any, if he is doing this. But hey, who knows. Between WVH and WB being pains in the ass, maybe Dave did strike a deal with Al to work it this way.

There can not possibly be any other reason in the world Dave is re-recording these songs. Even Dave knows they aren't an improvement or comparable to the real thing. As background noise in a commercial or movie, yes. But nobody in their right mind is going to throw these versions on over the originals. Not a chance.
                          I don’t think Al is in any kind of hurry to do anything.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Or better yet, just release the original, less cheesey, master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have a copy of.
                            Sheehan was just an employee. He has no say in anything. He might have something but has no legal rights to do anything with it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                              Yeah, but that's always been his job now, hasn't it?
                              It’s like booze. A few drinks are nice but too much makes you sick. It’s not like sex.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Dave was delusional to think he no longer needed Van Halen. His early solo career was amusing but it didn’t have legs. Now he’s doing his own version of VH and it sucks. Even die hard Dave fans are going, you suck dude.

Comment

Working...