X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?

Listened to both these tracks, and the effect is one of bemusement.

As you say, it's not like hearing either of these versions makes me not prefer the original VH recordings of them. It's not even like when he did an acoustic version of Meanstreet on the BBQ that was different from the original recorded version, so at least there was the stylistic novelty of that. Even if he is recording new versions of the VH stuff and the backing band is highly competent, it's still the voice he has now.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I can understand why Dave leaned heavily on the VH material live from 1999 on. That's what people wanted to hear when they bought the ticket.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to hear new studio re-recordings of old VH material. Not when it's being approached from a tribute cover band angle, trying to recreate the original performances.

What's the reason behind it? Even if playing VH tunes would naturally be done in a rehearsal setting to audition musicians for a live act, yeah, I can see where he would record a live rehearsal for listening purposes. It doesn't seem like that was the reason or method behind this, though.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?
        There's no point to it. You are talking about a guy who lives alone in a big house and dances in front of mirrors. You are talking about a guy who covered his whole body with tattoos. You are talking about a guy who does weird random shit. He rarely makes any sense. There's no point to it. It's another random Dave project.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          There's no point to it. You are talking about a guy who lives alone in a big house and dances in front of mirrors. You are talking about a guy who covered his whole body with tattoos. You are talking about a guy who does weird random shit. He rarely makes any sense. There's no point to it. It's another random Dave project.
          And thats what it is. He's not releasing this as an official product - at least we don't think he will.

The John 5 album hasnt even seen an official release so likely these studio live cuts won't either.
          =V V=
          ole No.1 The finest
          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

You people are trying to do the impossible. You are trying to figure out Dave. Good luck!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
              I can understand why Dave leaned heavily on the VH material live from 1999 on. That's what people wanted to hear when they bought the ticket.

I can't imagine anybody wanting to hear new studio re-recordings of old VH material. Not when it's being approached from a tribute cover band angle, trying to recreate the original performances.

What's the reason behind it? Even if playing VH tunes would naturally be done in a rehearsal setting to audition musicians for a live act, yeah, I can see where he would record a live rehearsal for listening purposes. It doesn't seem like that was the reason or method behind this, though.
              You can’t have Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen. That’s like trying to have chocolate cake without chocolate in it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                And thats what it is. He's not releasing this as an official product - at least we don't think he will.

The John 5 album hasnt even seen an official release so likely these studio live cuts won't either.
                I think it’s the desire to do it still. One very well known guitar player told me he still performs and records because it’s a diminishing skill. He doesn’t want to lose it. He doesn’t need the money, he actually has other businesses that need his attention but he just can’t give up music. I think Dave is a bit that way.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I think it’s the desire to do it still. One very well known guitar player told me he still performs and records because it’s a diminishing skill. He doesn’t want to lose it. He doesn’t need the money, he actually has other businesses that need his attention but he just can’t give up music. I think Dave is a bit that way.
                  Yeah so then he got his touring band together and banged out a set list of songs and recorded them.

And thus sharing it on social media.

Dont be surprised if he posts another cut but this time it being a solo-era song.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't view these as releases it's only on YouTube and it's not commercial. It occurred to me I wasn't sure if anyone had checked if they are on Spotify and they aren't which is very understandable. The John5 stuff is and in fact technically he has released 5 new solo songs in the last couple of years so by recent standards he's been super productive. Because it's not been promoted, we know it's been recorded a few years ago and it's coming out sporadically it doesn't feel like that.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I could understand the motivation to share these recordings if it were an artistic reinterpretation of the original material... but it's not.

The only creative differences in these recordings are primarily two factors...
                      • The cover band's inability to reproduce the original musical elements correctly
                      • Dave's inability to replicate his singing of the songs due to his aging body

I find no improvement in the product over the originals. Quite the opposite. Plus I get the nice sentiment of... at least he's doing something. But it falls flat. The irony is, as fans, we're even exploring the technicalities of what these are not... That's an indicator of having to work too hard to understand something or justify it's existence.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                        I could understand the motivation to share these recordings if it were an artistic reinterpretation of the original material... but it's not.

• The cover band's inability to reproduce the original musical elements correctly

I find no improvement in the product over the originals. Quite the opposite. Plus I get the nice sentiment of... at least he's doing something. But it falls flat. The irony is, as fans, we're even exploring the technicalities of what these are not... That's an indicator of having to work too hard to understand something or justify it's existence.
                        I sincerely doubt it was an attempt to re-record the originals for the sake of trying to improve or offer another artistic interpretation of them.

And these are just shares on social media. They aren't official releases (not on any streaming platforms like the John5 songs).

This is not like say the Scorpions re-recording and releasing new versions of their classic songs (I think they did this in 2013 or something) or KISS doing the same thing back around the same time. Both of those examples produced sub-par current for the time versions of the band's classic songs. Unnecessary but for whatever reason they did that for. I think in KISS' case they did it so that they could license and allow the use of those re-records for video games, commercials etc. Cause they don't own their catalog anymore.

And I think Anthrax just did some re-records of some of their stuff too. But again, they released them officially. While here Dave hasn't.

Yet, some fans are all up in arms about it. Oh well.
                        Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Let's call it what it is. LAME!

These bullshit recordings serve ZERO purpose.

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

If this were Clichegar doing this shit, he'd be getting lambasted.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. The guy has a knack for doing great covers of other poeple's songs. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                            I sincerely doubt it was an attempt to re-record the originals for the sake of trying to improve or offer another artistic interpretation of them.

And these are just shares on social media. They aren't official releases (not on any streaming platforms like the John5 songs).

This is not like say the Scorpions re-recording and releasing new versions of their classic songs (I think they did this in 2013 or something) or KISS doing the same thing back around the same time. Both of those examples produced sub-par current for the time versions of the band's classic songs. Unnecessary but for whatever reason they did that for. I think in KISS' case they did it so that they could license and allow the use of those re-records for video games, commercials etc. Cause they don't own their catalog anymore.

And I think Anthrax just did some re-records of some of their stuff too. But again, they released them officially. While here Dave hasn't.

Yet, some fans are all up in arms about it. Oh well.
                            If this were VAN HALEN doing this, it would be different. It's not. It's a shitty cover band doing it.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

If this were VAN HALEN doing this, it would be different. It's not. It's a shitty cover band doing it.
                              Hey I agree with that. Estrada is ok but the drums suck.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

We only discuss these things because we have the luxury of too much free time and we are bored. Life is good!

Comment

Working...