Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I could understand the motivation to share these recordings if it were an artistic reinterpretation of the original material... but it's not.

The only creative differences in these recordings are primarily two factors...

• The cover band's inability to reproduce the original musical elements correctly

• Dave's inability to replicate his singing of the songs due to his aging body

I find no improvement in the product over the originals. Quite the opposite. Plus I get the nice sentiment of... at least he's doing something. But it falls flat. The irony is, as fans, we're even exploring the technicalities of what these are not... That's an indicator of having to work too hard to understand something or justify it's existence.
    I sincerely doubt it was an attempt to re-record the originals for the sake of trying to improve or offer another artistic interpretation of them.

And these are just shares on social media. They aren't official releases (not on any streaming platforms like the John5 songs).

This is not like say the Scorpions re-recording and releasing new versions of their classic songs (I think they did this in 2013 or something) or KISS doing the same thing back around the same time. Both of those examples produced sub-par current for the time versions of the band's classic songs. Unnecessary but for whatever reason they did that for. I think in KISS' case they did it so that they could license and allow the use of those re-records for video games, commercials etc. Cause they don't own their catalog anymore.

And I think Anthrax just did some re-records of some of their stuff too. But again, they released them officially. While here Dave hasn't.

Yet, some fans are all up in arms about it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-15-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Thread Information