THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I could understand the motivation to share these recordings if it were an artistic reinterpretation of the original material... but it's not.

The only creative differences in these recordings are primarily two factors...

• The cover band's inability to reproduce the original musical elements correctly

• Dave's inability to replicate his singing of the songs due to his aging body

I find no improvement in the product over the originals. Quite the opposite. Plus I get the nice sentiment of... at least he's doing something. But it falls flat. The irony is, as fans, we're even exploring the technicalities of what these are not... That's an indicator of having to work too hard to understand something or justify it's existence.
    I sincerely doubt it was an attempt to re-record the originals for the sake of trying to improve or offer another artistic interpretation of them.

And these are just shares on social media. They aren't official releases (not on any streaming platforms like the John5 songs).

This is not like say the Scorpions re-recording and releasing new versions of their classic songs (I think they did this in 2013 or something) or KISS doing the same thing back around the same time. Both of those examples produced sub-par current for the time versions of the band's classic songs. Unnecessary but for whatever reason they did that for. I think in KISS' case they did it so that they could license and allow the use of those re-records for video games, commercials etc. Cause they don't own their catalog anymore.

And I think Anthrax just did some re-records of some of their stuff too. But again, they released them officially. While here Dave hasn't.

Yet, some fans are all up in arms about it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-15-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Let's call it what it is. LAME!

These bullshit recordings serve ZERO purpose.

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

If this were Clichegar doing this shit, he'd be getting lambasted.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. The guy has a knack for doing great covers of other poeple's songs. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 4 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

moose (09-15-2022),Nitro Express (09-15-2022),Terry (09-15-2022),ZahZoo (09-15-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I sincerely doubt it was an attempt to re-record the originals for the sake of trying to improve or offer another artistic interpretation of them.

And these are just shares on social media. They aren't official releases (not on any streaming platforms like the John5 songs).

This is not like say the Scorpions re-recording and releasing new versions of their classic songs (I think they did this in 2013 or something) or KISS doing the same thing back around the same time. Both of those examples produced sub-par current for the time versions of the band's classic songs. Unnecessary but for whatever reason they did that for. I think in KISS' case they did it so that they could license and allow the use of those re-records for video games, commercials etc. Cause they don't own their catalog anymore.

And I think Anthrax just did some re-records of some of their stuff too. But again, they released them officially. While here Dave hasn't.

Yet, some fans are all up in arms about it. Oh well.
    If this were VAN HALEN doing this, it would be different. It's not. It's a shitty cover band doing it.

5. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

moose (09-15-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    If this were VAN HALEN doing this, it would be different. It's not. It's a shitty cover band doing it.
    Hey I agree with that. Estrada is ok but the drums suck.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I could understand the motivation to share these recordings if it were an artistic reinterpretation of the original material... but it's not.

The only creative differences in these recordings are primarily two factors...

• The cover band's inability to reproduce the original musical elements correctly

• Dave's inability to replicate his singing of the songs due to his aging body

I find no improvement in the product over the originals. Quite the opposite. Plus I get the nice sentiment of... at least he's doing something. But it falls flat. The irony is, as fans, we're even exploring the technicalities of what these are not... That's an indicator of having to work too hard to understand something or justify it's existence.
    We only discuss these things because we have the luxury of too much free time and we are bored. Life is good!

8. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-15-2022),ZahZoo (09-16-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I'm as much of a DLR fan as anyone, but fuck. I'm not going to suck his dick for putting out lame shit that serves zero purpose.

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. The guy has a knack for doing great covers of other poeple's songs. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
    That's why they say quit while you are on top. Don't linger around long enough to let the public see how really lame you have become.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hey I agree with that. Estrada is ok but the drums suck.
    Yeah I kind of liked him on "CHIPS" too. That guy probably got more ass than a toilet seat in the 70's.

11. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (09-16-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Someone needs to lock Dave up before he destroys his legacy even more.

13. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (09-17-2022)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sorry. I just don't see the point of these releases. I'm definitely not putting on one of these recordings instead of the original versions. Hell, I'm not even putting one of these on over the live bootleg versions from the 80's.

I just don't get him doing this. If it is to prove he can still sing, then fucking go do it in front of an audience. Or go doctor up that abortion of a live album Van Halen released. There is ZERO reason to be recording and releasing these songs with a cover band.

Is his creativity really this stagnant?
    Von...It's the definitive version of this song...

15. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (09-16-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries

Dave covering his own fucking songs. What a fucking dumbass. He doesn't have to cover his own songs. Nor should he do it. DO NOT MESS WITH PERFECTION!
    100%.

Don't do it.

Leave well enough alone when it comes to Van Halen.

Dave (apparently) didn't want to do a live tribute to Eddie after his passing - a hypothetical event I was actually glad never came to pass - and he should make a similar choice re: Van Halen studio recordings.

Don't tinker around retreading old steps.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The true tribute to Eddie Van Halen is lot’s of people love his music and with continue to love it in the future.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nah. I think he just woke up one day and said "I wanna do that live album!" and then decided to uploaded it on YouTube one song at a time. A lot of artist does these studio live things. But they usually have a video with the audio and I think because Dave (seems like it) didn't filmed it makes it look like a he's just rerecording old VH songs, rather than "songs from a studio live gig".

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Many may view this as some impulsive thing that Dave had a brain fart and threw this together one day on a whim...

But Henson Studios is one of the top facilities in LA and pretty much booked year round, plus you have to reserve it months in advance. Depending on which room you reserve rates are over $200 an hour plus hourly rates for engineers on top of that. Then there's hourly rates for post-recording production.

Several thousand to record this, plus I assume he paid the musicians for their time... Money well spent..?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm leaning towards what Vinnie said. I think Dave may be doing this to sell these songs for commercials and stuff. I doubt he needs the dough, but if people are offering and the other VH's are making it difficult, I can see why he'd bypass the system in this way. I guess we will find out if we start hearing these versions in commercials.

21. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-16-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Not impossible I suppose.

I posted elsewhere Van Halen charged The Sopranos $80k for about 10 seconds of RWTD playing in the background on a radio in a cafe and that was 15 or more years ago.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm leaning towards what Vinnie said. I think Dave may be doing this to sell these songs for commercials and stuff. I doubt he needs the dough, but if people are offering and the other VH's are making it difficult, I can see why he'd bypass the system in this way. I guess we will find out if we start hearing these versions in commercials.
    That's interesting.

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs re: songwriting copyrights, licensing, etc. It can't be the case that merely by recording a newer version with musicians other than the original ones all of that sidesteps whoever holds the copyright(s) on the original material as pertains toward whatever existing licensing agreement said copyright holders have and the inclusive licensing rights within that agreement.

In other words, surely it isn't the case that Dave can just go into a studio, re-record the CVH material, then unilaterally decide to license those newer versions for commercials or ads. I'm basing that on the assumption that both Wolfgang via Eddie's estate and Alex both hold the copyrights - along with the licensing rights - on the Van Halen material along with Dave.

Again, I'm not sure how any of that works legally.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't think this would be allowed under copyright restrictions without the Van Halens signing off on it.

Why would Dave do this... he stands to gain more financially if the original VH recordings were licensed for commercial use.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That's interesting.

I'm not sure about all the ins and outs re: songwriting copyrights, licensing, etc. It can't be the case that merely by recording a newer version with musicians other than the original ones all of that sidesteps whoever holds the copyright(s) on the original material as pertains toward whatever existing licensing agreement said copyright holders have and the inclusive licensing rights within that agreement.

In other words, surely it isn't the case that Dave can just go into a studio, re-record the CVH material, then unilaterally decide to license those newer versions for commercials or ads. I'm basing that on the assumption that both Wolfgang via Eddie's estate and Alex both hold the copyrights - along with the licensing rights - on the Van Halen material along with Dave.

Again, I'm not sure how any of that works legally.
    I cited previously the main reason "KISS" (without Ace and Peter) re-recorded a number of classics. I have read it was because so they could actually make money off of allowing other merchants use the music for commercials or in say video games. Now, some just want to hear the originals. So they pay whatever it is to use it. In the recent Stranger Things season they had Detroit Rock City featured in one of the scenes. This was clearly the original version and not the re-record. And Paul and Gene likely didn't get much if anything cause they don't even own the publishing rights anymore.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-16-2022 at 05:06 PM.

26. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-18-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Not impossible I suppose.

I posted elsewhere Van Halen charged The Sopranos $80k for about 10 seconds of RWTD playing in the background on a radio in a cafe and that was 15 or more years ago.
    They also made a similar amount with Stay Frosty and Tattoo during an episode of CSI in 2012.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They also made a similar amount with Stay Frosty and Tattoo during an episode of CSI in 2012.
    Thats right.

I believe that movie Ready Player One a few years back used Jump and most likely played a hefty fee for it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's interesting.

There are two sets of copyrights behind every single song: the musical composition (harmony, melody, lyrics, and so forth), which belongs to songwriters, and the master recording, which is a particular audio expression of that underlying composition. It doesn't seem as common as it used to be for reasons I don't know but back in the day if say you were in MacDonalds if you listened closely you might notice that the music being played was actually cover versions of popular songs. Similarly the recording studio we used would produce facsimiles of songs for TV and radio commercials. The sums involved meant that to avoid paying for the second part to the original artist it was cheaper to pay the studio thousands to bring in local singers and musicians to rerecord them.

If Dave were to do this he would have the advantage of the unique part which is his voice. The other members of the band would still get their writing royalties but he would the performance royalty. I think. That's the way it used to work anyway.

This is all theoretical and I'm not convinced that's what is going on here.

30. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-18-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    There are two sets of copyrights behind every single song: the musical composition (harmony, melody, lyrics, and so forth), which belongs to songwriters, and the master recording, which is a particular audio expression of that underlying composition. It doesn't seem as common as it used to be for reasons I don't know but back in the day if say you were in MacDonalds if you listened closely you might notice that the music being played was actually cover versions of popular songs. Similarly the recording studio we used would produce facsimiles of songs for TV and radio commercials. The sums involved meant that to avoid paying for the second part to the original artist it was cheaper to pay the studio thousands to bring in local singers and musicians to rerecord them.

If Dave were to do this he would have the advantage of the unique part which is his voice. The other members of the band would still get their writing royalties but he would the performance royalty. I think. That's the way it used to work anyway.

This is all theoretical and I'm not convinced that's what is going on here.
    I think I understand it, most of which is basically along the lines of what I already thought re: copyrights.

I'm not quite sure what is going on here either with re-recording the old VH tracks, beyond Dave just being odd.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure, but didn't Taylor Swift re-record the songs that she signed away? SO the thinking that these newly recorded songs could be used more freely with more comp?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno, he was slandered quite heavily, probably most so by ardent fans like us. The live performances were strained. This could be nothing more than trying to say hey, I can stilll deliver.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not onstage he can’t.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave is the poster child for old creepy rock star.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I dunno, he was slandered quite heavily, probably most so by ardent fans like us. The live performances were strained. This could be nothing more than trying to say hey, I can stilll deliver.
    He was criticized quite heavily. Slandered would be things about him that were demonstrably untrue.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He was criticized quite heavily. Slandered would be things about him that were demonstrably untrue.
    This is correct!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    This is correct!
    Like, when I say not only was Roth never heterosexual, but he is currently in a loving, exclusive relationship with his long time live-in Asian male masseuse, that could potentially be slander should it turn out to be untrue.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Yup. Nobody is above having some tomatoes thrown at them when they suck. I believe in meritocracy. Accepting mediocrity just spreads the suck through society like a virus.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Like, when I say not only was Roth never heterosexual, but he is currently in a loving, exclusive relationship with his long time live-in Asian male masseuse, that could potentially be slander should it turn out to be untrue.
    Dave always said he wanted to live life like a sailor. Not tied to anyone or anything. I think that's how he rolls the only problem is when you get old and you are no longer The Guy, life can get lonely.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave always said he wanted to live life like a sailor. Not tied to anyone or anything. I think that's how he rolls the only problem is when you get old and you are no longer The Guy, life can get lonely.
    Did he have that young Jap girlfriend back in 2013? wonder what happened there.

Dave has had several girlfriends but none of them really panned out to anything long term. There was Apollonia who to this day says she and Dave were very much in love.

But that didn't last as well.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did he have that young Jap girlfriend back in 2013? wonder what happened there.
    Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.

Dave learned to speak her language and that's when she realized she didn't like listening to his incessant bullshit.

43. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-19-2022),ZahZoo (09-19-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shame on you Vinnie. "Jap" is not politically correct in this day and age. The resident Libtards (NickDumbocrat, Kristy and FROD) are going to be all over you for this.
    Oops.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Dave learned to speak her language and that's when she realized she didn't like listening to his incessant bullshit.
    Careful Von... the Pronoun police may be on to you!

46. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (09-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

So Dave's hyperbole didn't translate well into Japanese...couldn't he have wowed her with his funky chicken dance moves while clothed in overalls and an ascot?

48. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (09-19-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

And now, You Really Got Me:

50. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (10-13-2022),Vinnie Velvet (10-13-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    How quaint... Dave's Cover band™ playing a cover of a cover... right before your naked steaming eyes, with cataracts.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The correct term is 'identifying as a Nip'.

53. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (10-15-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    or 'Nipponese Fuckwit' as an alternate term.

Thread Information