TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I particularly like how a pic of Dave circa 1978 was used to illustrate the clip.

Sort of echoes the poster outside the Hard Rock venue in Orlando when I saw him in 2006, which was also a 1978 photo.

I'm not gonna bother listening to the YRGM clip: in some odd way, I think people listening to this stuff somehow just encourages Dave to keep re-recording these CVH tunes. If I wanna hear YRGM, I'll listen to the first album or a CVH boot. Not Dave fronting a bunch of no-name musicians circa 2021/2022 trying to note-for-note recreate the CVH stuff. That stuff was already done great the first time around, and Dave isn't gonna top any of it via re-recording it.

I mean, is that all Dave wants to do these days? Is it that it's not worth anything financially to expend the effort to write new material? I dunno, but this batch of CVH re-recordings come off to me like Dave is just doing a karaoke take on his past glories. Does anybody else get that feeling?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-18-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    That's the feeling I get... karaoke backing tracks always suck for a reason... subpar bullshit in the spirit of Van Halen is still subpar bullshit.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-19-2022)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

VH covers now available in Tidal and Spotify. Released under Wawaza!! Records. No Michael Anthonys name in credits for VH originals, just Dave, Eddie and Alex.

6. Thanked Silexxx for this KICKASS post:

Terry (10-19-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I can only think that things are not good between Roth and the Van Halens which historically speaking is really more like just a painful depressing return to normality.

Kind of like interest rates...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I tend to think things are neither good or bad between Roth and the Van Halens nowadays. Imagine it's more a case of Dave doing whatever he is doing, and the same for Alex. The impression I got when Roth was working with the Van Halens from 2006-2015 was that they didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together socially. Then again, that seemed to sort of be the case when CVH was active, too. More and more so as the band got more and more successful.

I could see Dave giving Alex a call once in a blue moon these days. Who knows?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I tend to think things are neither good or bad between Roth and the Van Halens nowadays. Imagine it's more a case of Dave doing whatever he is doing, and the same for Alex. The impression I got when Roth was working with the Van Halens from 2006-2015 was that they didn't spend a lot of time hanging out together socially. Then again, that seemed to sort of be the case when CVH was active, too. More and more so as the band got more and more successful.

I'd say they are cordial. Maybe more since Ed passed.

Alex is pretty much retired and Dave is just doing what he can to stay in the limelight. I think he was serious about his retirement announcement as I dont think he can perform on stage anymore.

Otherwise he will end up like Jackson or Prince. Dave was a high energy, high impact performer that had lots of injuries hence lots of surgeries etc.

People don't realize all that stuff takes its toll on your body.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries

I think with Al it was always about him and his brother. Alex Lifeson said he couldn’t play music after Niel Peart died. It was too painful. If a person is that traumatized over losing a good friend and band mate how much more traumatizing for Alex? Hard enough to play in the privacy of your home but in public? Impossible. I’ve seen people pull the curtains shut and live in darkness for years after they lost a child or a spouse. Death hits some people extremely hard.

11. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-26-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I think with Al it was always about him and his brother. Alex Lifeson said he couldn’t play music after Niel Peart died. It was too painful. If a person is that traumatized over losing a good friend and band mate how much more traumatizing for Alex? Hard enough to play in the privacy of your home but in public? Impossible. I’ve seen people pull the curtains shut and live in darkness for years after they lost a child or a spouse. Death hits some people extremely hard.
    Agreed.

Alex won't be playing anything with anyone else like ever. Has he ever played with anyone besides Ed? Nope.

Eddie on the other hand did. He jammed with others many times. Perhaps much easier to do just plugging in your guitar rather than have to set up your own drums for a gig. But Alex never played with anyone else besides his brother.

13. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-26-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It just saddens me seeing this current state of Van Halen and Dave's musical catalog...

Knowing that a significant amount of really interesting recordings, from classic live performances, studio out-takes and just raw scratch/jam tracks sit idle in storage somewhere. The best that is produced today is Karaoke Dave and the Cover Band™...

Fucking pathetic...

15. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-20-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    It just saddens me seeing this current state of Van Halen and Dave's musical catalog...

Knowing that a significant amount of really interesting recordings, from classic live performances, studio out-takes and just raw scratch/jam tracks sit idle in storage somewhere. The best that is produced today is Karaoke Dave and the Cover Band™...

Fucking pathetic...
    It is a bit saddening.

I'd have to imagine the Van Halens, Dave and Mike have some of that CVH stuff you mentioned in their personal possession. That stuff is the material I'd want to see and hear. Not Ed's kid playing CVH tunes, nor Dave re-recording old CVH tunes.

Fortunately, a decent amount of CVH live audio/video boots managed to get circulated. Not the greatest sound or visual quality, but it is what it is.

17. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (10-20-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fucking pathetic...
    I will lay most of that blame on Alex. If he wanted to release vintage stuff we wouldve seen it but he doesn't want to do anything.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Alex? Oh yeah. Fuck him too!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I personally don’t think there is this big stash of unreleased VH material. I think the best stuff got released and the good unofficial stuff stuff is on YouTube. I don’t think there’s anything all that great in Ed’s tape vault either. There’s only so much you can do on a guitar. I think it’s stuff we heard before and would recognize.

Yeah Alex could be some creative merchandising pimp. Maybe some fans wish Al was like Gene Simmons in that regard because they want the stuff but that’s never been Van Halen.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Agreed.

Alex won't be playing anything with anyone else like ever. Has he ever played with anyone besides Ed? Nope.

Eddie on the other hand did. He jammed with others many times. Perhaps much easier to do just plugging in your guitar rather than have to set up your own drums for a gig. But Alex never played with anyone else besides his brother.
    The Van Halen’s have always been very guarded. They don’t like to share everything with the public. You have to be in the inner circle. It’s actually a very Asian way of thinking. This is not for you unless you are welcomed in. The Van Halen’s attitude always has been, you buy a ticket we are obligated to show up and give you a good show. You own the album you bought, you don’t own us. Get the fuck outta here! You ain’t in our group!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Dave put up a new version of Everybody Wants Some

Last edited by twonabomber; 12-26-2022 at 12:46 PM.

23. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (12-26-2022)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The lack of good drums really stick out like a sore thumb on that one. Jesus. That song is anchored by Al on the drums. But good to hear Dave still wailing and he sounds pretty good, tuned or not, after decades of doing his job.

25. Thanked MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (12-26-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Yeah... that one sounds more like an Ac/Dc tribute band with a fake Eddie guesting on lead guitar.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Yeah... that one sounds more like an Ac/Dc tribute band with a fake Eddie guesting on lead guitar.
    AC/DC is what I thought too. Or Electric-era Cult. I don't mind the lack of reverb, could get used to the less busy drums.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

That fucking sucked!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 07:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

30 seconds was enough for me....

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What a gawd damned embarrassment... There's a herd of 16 year olds that can perform that song better all day long...

31. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (12-27-2022)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unchained. New Roth Show also on Spotify.
    Last edited by Silexxx; 03-02-2023 at 11:10 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post
    VH covers now available in Tidal and Spotify. Released under Wawaza!! Records. No Michael Anthonys name in credits for VH originals, just Dave, Eddie and Alex.
    Meanwhile, as they have pointed out on the DLR Podcast no DLR Band album on Spotify even though it was released under his own record company. You can't listen to 'Weekend With The Babysitter' but you can listen to the Ashley Abernathy song

34. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (03-03-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I dunno...I just have no interest in these Roth Rerecords CVH Tunes cuts. I listened to...WTF was it...Panama (I think) earlier in this thread and there was nothing about it that made me either want to hear it again or see the necessity of it in any shape or form.

As I may have mentioned, I could see where Roth might have desired to have videotaped or record musicians playing CVH tunes live in an audition situation as a way of him being able to go back and assess who he wanted in his band for potential live performances.

From what I gather, though, this was Roth re-recording the CVH material in a studio situation after the last Vegas stint was cancelled and he was already ostensibly retired...do I have that correct in terms of the situation/chronology?

If so, it's both weird and not of interest to me. If I wanna hear Everybody Wants Some I'll throw on WACF. What I'm not gonna do is listen to Roth circa 2022 take a bunch of working musicians in the studio and try to recreate the CVH material. Is there anybody who really wants to hear that? Fuckin' christ.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So much great material locked in vaults... the best they have to offer is Cover Band™ Dave and remastered Hagar era crap.

Seriously... pathetic.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yep.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ain't That Peculiar

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/03/2...as-too-chaotic

So how did “Tempted” from 1982 wind up in “Air”?

Affleck told me this week at the “Air” Party in New York: “Originally I had Jump by Van Halen in that spot. But you can’t license Jump or any Van Halen song. Apparently they’re all fighting with each other and no one can agree on anything. So we gave up. I’m much happier with Tempted anyway.”

Does this confirm why Dave is re-recording VH songs? Also could this also explain why the mix is so basic in these re-recordings? So that it's easier to use in background or something in a movie or a trailer?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Atomic Punk

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I dunno...I just have no interest in these Roth Rerecords CVH Tunes cuts. I listened to...WTF was it...Panama (I think) earlier in this thread and there was nothing about it that made me either want to hear it again or see the necessity of it in any shape or form.

As I may have mentioned, I could see where Roth might have desired to have videotaped or record musicians playing CVH tunes live in an audition situation as a way of him being able to go back and assess who he wanted in his band for potential live performances.

From what I gather, though, this was Roth re-recording the CVH material in a studio situation after the last Vegas stint was cancelled and he was already ostensibly retired...do I have that correct in terms of the situation/chronology?

If so, it's both weird and not of interest to me. If I wanna hear Everybody Wants Some I'll throw on WACF. What I'm not gonna do is listen to Roth circa 2022 take a bunch of working musicians in the studio and try to recreate the CVH material. Is there anybody who really wants to hear that? Fuckin' christ.
    Dave is past the sell date.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What a gawd damned embarrassment... There's a herd of 16 year olds that can perform that song better all day long...
    Dave still keeps the legacy no matter how hard he tries to destroy it. That probably pisses old Sam off.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways I don’t find Dave’s delusional ego entertaining at all. I’m just seeing the other band members were saying the truth about him. The dude can’t see past his own ego and is an embarrassing attention whore.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    ...and is an embarrassing attention whore.
    Yeah, but that's always been his job now, hasn't it?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silexxx View Post

Atomic Punk

No, just no. Dave, stop!

You are not improving CVH songs!

Go back to re-record some Skyscraper cuts and remove the cheesey keyboards!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Based on what Ben Affleck just said about not being able to use "Jump" in a movie and even Val stating recently she had to really fight to get approval to use one of the Van Hagar songs, I'm betting Dave is doing these strictly for licensing purposes. Unless he has some side deal with Al on this, I'm betting this won't strengthen their relationship any, if he is doing this. But hey, who knows. Between WVH and WB being pains in the ass, maybe Dave did strike a deal with Al to work it this way.

There can not possibly be any other reason in the world Dave is re-recording these songs. Even Dave knows they aren't an improvement or comparable to the real thing. As background noise in a commercial or movie, yes. But nobody in their right mind is going to throw these versions on over the originals. Not a chance.

47. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (06-06-2023),Nickdfresh (06-06-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    No, just no. Dave, stop!

You are not improving CVH songs!

Go back to re-record some Skyscraper cuts and remove the cheesey keyboards!
    Or better yet, just release the original, less cheesey, master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have a copy of.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Based on what Ben Affleck just said about not being able to use "Jump" in a movie and even Val stating recently she had to really fight to get approval to use one of the Van Hagar songs, I'm betting Dave is doing these strictly for licensing purposes. Unless he has some side deal with Al on this, I'm betting this won't strengthen their relationship any, if he is doing this. But hey, who knows. Between WVH and WB being pains in the ass, maybe Dave did strike a deal with Al to work it this way.

There can not possibly be any other reason in the world Dave is re-recording these songs. Even Dave knows they aren't an improvement or comparable to the real thing. As background noise in a commercial or movie, yes. But nobody in their right mind is going to throw these versions on over the originals. Not a chance.
    I don’t think Al is in any kind of hurry to do anything.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Or better yet, just release the original, less cheesey, master tape that Billy Sheehan claims to have a copy of.
    Sheehan was just an employee. He has no say in anything. He might have something but has no legal rights to do anything with it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Yeah, but that's always been his job now, hasn't it?
    It’s like booze. A few drinks are nice but too much makes you sick. It’s not like sex.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave was delusional to think he no longer needed Van Halen. His early solo career was amusing but it didn’t have legs. Now he’s doing his own version of VH and it sucks. Even die hard Dave fans are going, you suck dude.

Thread Information