DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

It Was 52 Years Ago Today

Some junkie died in his own vomit

• Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Huh. So it was.

The only death anniversary I tend to observe is John Lennon's, and only because it is commented on via television newscasts when the date comes and goes. I suppose because they all have the archived film of the vigil outside Lennon's apartment following his assassination.

I've tended to think less about those rock stars of the 1960s or 1970s who died young in terms of how many years have passed since their death, mostly because they'd almost certainly be dead today (if not long before) had they lived anyway. And even if that weren't the case, 9 out of 10 of them would be diddling along the nostalgia circuit like their contemporaries are now.

Having said all that, I like what Hendrix did now as much as I ever did. In point of fact, considering my feelings about popular music on the whole over the last 50-odd years since his passing, his stuff I actually appreciate a bit more as I get older. Fantastic stuff. A schmucky, useless way to die and the guy doubtless had some demons and troubles. His music still keeps resonating with me, though.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      And even if that weren't the case, 9 out of 10 of them would be diddling along the nostalgia circuit like their contemporaries are now.
      If Hendrix were alive today he'd be on tour with Billy Joel.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
        If Hendrix were alive today he'd be on tour with Billy Joel.
        More likely opening for The Rolling Stones.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...