Thread: Dave Smokes Sam 2002

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave Smokes Sam 2002

I have never seen much of this footage until today.

Roth and band really smoke Sam, not that I am surprised, but it's kind of embarassing for Sam.

https://youtu.be/Hj-c4kJGYKQ
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 09-18-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Fairwrning (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Oh good. He smoked Sam with his performance. I was worried Dave gave Sam a blowjob.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I have the Camden, NJ and Hartford, CT shows from the 2002 tour around somewhere on dvd. Only the Roth sets on those. He pretty much played the same set every night, so there's not much difference between the Camden and Hartford shows. Not much difference between those two and the Charlotte, NC set above, either. The 2002 band was a well-rehearsed unit serving up Classic Van Halen - I think Dave did maybe one solo tune in the set in 2002 - and that's what people wanted to hear. Brian did a good job copping Eddie's licks. Dave...well, he looked a bit silly cosmetically speaking. Then again, probably no more ridiculous than he had in 1986, the obvious difference being the age.

I had never seen any Hagar stuff from that tour prior to that clip above. Watched some of it. Hagar's never been my cup of tea, so I don't even know what my take on his show would be worth...probably not much to anybody who likes what he does.

I'm not even sure I really could compare what those guys were doing in 2002, because Dave was basically serving up CVH. Hagar was doing some Van Hagar and some Hagar solo stuff. I can't make a comparison beyond my personal preference. I mean, Sammy's set was what I assume he does, which is his Cabo Wabo Tequila Party - his half-baked version of Margaritaville - and Dave was trying to pretend it was 1986. I'd prefer a washed-up Roth over Hagar at his best, for whatever that is worth.

5. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-21-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I have the Camden, NJ and Hartford, CT shows from the 2002 tour around somewhere on dvd. Only the Roth sets on those. He pretty much played the same set every night, so there's not much difference between the Camden and Hartford shows. Not much difference between those two and the Charlotte, NC set above, either. The 2002 band was a well-rehearsed unit serving up Classic Van Halen - I think Dave did maybe one solo tune in the set in 2002 - and that's what people wanted to hear. Brian did a good job copping Eddie's licks. Dave...well, he looked a bit silly cosmetically speaking. Then again, probably no more ridiculous than he had in 1986, the obvious difference being the age.

I had never seen any Hagar stuff from that tour prior to that clip above. Watched some of it. Hagar's never been my cup of tea, so I don't even know what my take on his show would be worth...probably not much to anybody who likes what he does.

I'm not even sure I really could compare what those guys were doing in 2002, because Dave was basically serving up CVH. Hagar was doing some Van Hagar and some Hagar solo stuff. I can't make a comparison beyond my personal preference. I mean, Sammy's set was what I assume he does, which is his Cabo Wabo Tequila Party - his half-baked version of Margaritaville - and Dave was trying to pretend it was 1986. I'd prefer a washed-up Roth over Hagar at his best, for whatever that is worth.
    Dave's vocals were good and he was in excellent physical shape.

I actually liked his look with exception to the hair. He was trying real hard to retain (or regrow?) what he had before. Otherwise it was Dave being Dave.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd agree that Dave remained physically fit throughout his career. His vocals on the 2002 tour were good.

His appearance on that tour kinda made me cringe a bit in terms of the stage clothes and the hair. But the vocals were good and the backing band played the CVH stuff well.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd agree that Dave remained physically fit throughout his career. His vocals on the 2002 tour were good.

His appearance on that tour kinda made me cringe a bit in terms of the stage clothes and the hair. But the vocals were good and the backing band played the CVH stuff well.
    I thought the clothes and hair were silly. Dave could have cut that shit loose and just had his normal hair and dressed more normal and it might have been a bit better actually. Nothing worse than seeing an aging rock star trying too hard.

You just need to own your age and go I can do more sit ups than most you mother fuckers and own it. No clown costumes needed.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave’s 2002 lineup looked like a bunch of So-Cal surfer trash but I think sonically they were pretty good.

10. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-19-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave’s 2002 lineup looked like a bunch of So-Cal surfer trash but I think sonically they were pretty good.
    At least they had a specific look to them, unlike Dave's 2020 and 2022 lineups, which just looked like any old bunch of schlubs dressed in mundane 'Rock Star' garb.

Like, here's another putz with unscuffed Doc Martins, a black t shirt and black jeans featuring a wallet chain.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    One reason I liked rock and roll is it had great characters in it. Yeah the cookie cutter poser thing is quite annoying. I had a roommate from Rockford, Illinois and his mom was good friends with Karen Nielsen. Rick Nielsen's wife. They used to go over to their house and swim in their pool and he said Rick is always like the guy you see on stage. He's one eccentric motherfucker but he's brilliant that way. He said the Nielsen's were a super cool family though. But I like the eccentric characters that are just that way and they are going to do stuff that's totally original. Roth was one of them.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I suppose I'm yet again mildly lamenting what rock and roll has morphed into over the decades.

I mean, I understand that there was always the business aspect of it there, and part of the business was selling the image of it.

Going back a few decades, at least rock and roll had a sense of individuality and a sense that the music form was moving forward.

Like, with Cheap Trick, each member had a distinctive, non-cookie cutter visual image and the group had an individuality to their music.

I think it may have been somewhere in the mid-1990's after the explosion of the Seattle-based bands died down that rock and roll just stopped growing or developing or pushing the envelope. I dunno if it was a combination of reunion tours like The Eagles and KISS making massive amounts of money that made nostalgia the easy path to take, or fewer young people being interested in the music form, or the proliferation of home computers/internet/pirated music (because why would an established rock act want to bother putting their heart and soul into new music only to have it downloaded for free: musicians doubtless want to get paid).

I remember in the late 1970's throughout the 1980's seeing ads in the newspaper for concerts by pop stars and old groups that were big in the 1950's and early 1960's. Frankie Avalon, Frankie Valli, The Four Seasons, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers. Dozens of these 'Golden Oldie' acts. They'd be doing gigs at these sorts of second tier venues, usually in a package deal with several acts on the same bill. All of 'em 15 to 20 years past their prime. The nostalgia circuit. That's where virtually the entirety of the rock bands I liked have been at for twenty years now; they may be filling bigger venues these days than those Golden Oldie package tours were 40 years ago, but the net effect is exactly the same.

You had the explosion of the form in the mid-1950's. The psychedelic era of the late 1960's. Hard rock and Glam in the 1970's. Heavy Metal in the 1980's. Grunge in the early 1990's. I dunno what else...Nu Metal in the mid-to-late 1990's; wasn't a fan of that particular form, but at least it was along the lines of pushing the form...taking a chance, doing something new within the rock form. As was the case with each of those eras I mentioned, where every decade or so something different happened within the genre.

Seems to me that rock and roll just ceased to become creative and vibrant around the year 2000. It became stale musically, visually, from top-to-bottom it no longer had an ounce of danger or unpredictability. That's when the modern-day rock pretenders, complete with all the 'acceptable' rock uniforms (the brand new Doc Martens boots, black jeans, chain tattoos on the bicep, dark black dyed hair) took over. You can tell they look at rock music strictly as a career, solely a viable business option. Yeah, way back when "believing in Rock 'n Roll, man!!" was sort of silly, but at least it was a belief in something, as opposed to merely dressing the part, half-heartedly going through the motions while performing, updating your social media feed with your onstage posing, making sure you are playing whatever musical gear you're endorsing when you're posing for your instagram pics and checking the amount of 'Likes' you're getting.

From what I've been seeing and hearing since 2000, it's really pop/rap/electronic music that takes chances and pushes the envelope forward. Rock music became too packaged and stale to be inspired by.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-20-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyway, what the fuck is this thread about?

Oh, yeah...um, fuck that red cheese Spaumula! If anybody is smoking anybody, Sammy is definitely smoking Dave! Because smoking equals blowing equals fag, and the only fag in 2002 was the Red Rocker!!!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Went to the Charlotte show..Dave opened and kicked ass. Sound was great ( outdoors) , band was tight, Dave was singing the words...Good size crowd..I stayed for 3 Sammy songs I think and MA was going to play with him..Drive home was 4-5 hours..that was the last time I did coke...

16. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh I think there's always been a large amount of posing and fakeness in the music industry. You have fake groups in the 60's with professional musicians (the famous Wreaking Crew) making the music. Everyone loved the Monkee's though. There just has to be something appealing to the fake. It's like nacho cheese. It's completely processed but people love the shit. Nacho cheese is one of the most successful fakes in history. Soy burgers not so much.

18. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    But Sam has been selling nacho cheese for for almost a half century. That right there tells me how low the IQ is of some people in our society. Yes there are people that stupid. But he's still out prancing and dancing with his fat chum Guy (the fake cook) selling Wabo Tacos slathered in fake cheese.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sam is Gary Glitter wearing a Sombrero.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think it may have been somewhere in the mid-1990's after the explosion of the Seattle-based bands died down that rock and roll just stopped growing or developing or pushing the envelope. I dunno if it was a combination of reunion tours like The Eagles and KISS making massive amounts of money that made nostalgia the easy path to take, or fewer young people being interested in the music form, or the proliferation of home computers/internet/pirated music (because why would an established rock act want to bother putting their heart and soul into new music only to have it downloaded for free: musicians doubtless want to get paid).

Radio played such a huge part of the former music industry. I used to hang at the local country club in the summer. There were speakers all over constantly playing the local Top 40 radio station. You had the local DJ and it was like American Graffiti. The Wolfman was everywhere. He was at the grocery store. He was at the clubhouse. He was in your car. Multiply him by thousands.

That's gone now. Yeah there's the internet but everyone is listening to different stuff. It's become so diluted how do you become famous? Who's going to be interested in putting the promotion money behind you to get you recognized? Everyone is listening to different stuff. You no longer have the Wolfman to promote the new act with the new hit single.

So now it's perform and hope you can get enough scratch from the door and out of your trunk to make the time and effort worth it.

22. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Alice Cooper did a good job of explaining what rock and roll was. You had guys like him that were a bit screwball and they liked to perform for people. If you were interesting enough someone would back your act. You recorded music, the radio played it and you went on the road performing. The best cities were the manufacturing cities in the Great Lake regions. Why? They had people working in factories and they loved rock and roll music, they had money to buy tickets and in places like Detroit and Cleveland you had factories close to the venue. People would come to the concert right off their work shift and it was happy hour. The place went wild.

What's missing now? Radio and manufacturing. Detroit ain't what it was and Cleveland has this bland rock and roll museum showing people what used to exist. It's gone other than a few acts hanging on and some talented kids with no way to get to the big time because that road is gone. The big break ain't going to happen and you can't support yourself streaming.

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Grunge to me was just punk rock. Nothing really new there but Cobain was the anti-spandex counter punch and him and his band wrote some catchy music and best of all he died a tragic death before he could ruin his legacy. The whole Seattle thing was short-lived. But the reason why is the internet came along and so did Napster. That was the end of the traditional music industry. It's never recovered from that and by death I mean what the artist can make. Sure you can stream but there's no money there.

Rock and roll now is an old fuck like Gene Simmons selling vodka in bottles that look like a money bag or an aging fuck like Hagar selling you a spiritual experience in a bottle. They all are selling hot sauce, booze and that kind of shit. They all are merchandisers because there is no money in the music anymore.

26. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So you have Dave Grohl who to his credit was able to ride his Nirvana fame to something else and that is to be theban of the dregs of Rock and Roll. He's a professional fan. He gathers what's left of the aging rock and roll industry and promotes it and then of course he does his song and dance. He will do a bunch of tribute shows as aging rock legends die off and then Dave will die.

28. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-20-2022)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

That tour showed just how much better VH was than its follow-up. The tone is right, the drive, the fire and fury with a smile, is all there. You get strong glimpses of it from Dave's 2002 gig. There's a real urgency, a kaboom. What the fuck happened to it? Where's the defiant, "don't piss me off" sneering attitude anymore? Sam is hack businessman posing as an artist. He's not a real artist. Incredible how much Sam cooled down the crowd at those shows.

30. Thanked MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (09-21-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The original VH lineup was lightning in a bottle.

32. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (09-24-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Some of the best things in life just happen. Only fools think they can replicate the random happy accidents.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nitro, you always make good sense to me.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Fuck it.

Maybe I'll go catch a Gladys Night and the Pips show.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

... I mean, Sammy's set was what I assume he does, which is his Cabo Wabo Tequila Party - his half-baked version of Margaritaville - and Dave was trying to pretend it was 1986. I'd prefer a washed-up Roth over Hagar at his best, for whatever that is worth.
    Yeah, one of the biggest things I hate about Hagar, he just copycats other more innovative musicians because at the end of the day he is a boring and dumb guy...

37. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (09-23-2022),Terry (09-21-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yup. Name one trend Sammy Hagar started. That whole 80's spandex big hair thing was started by David Lee Roth. All those front guys in those bands were TRYING to be Dave. Most looked ridiculous attempting the impossible but it was a fad and quite a big one.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's that terrifyingly awful ballad Sam did in the 70's that is nothing more than a cop of REO Speedwagon/Journey/Peter Frampton but ends up making Wham's "Never Gonna Dance Again" look like a soulful melody. Such a pandering piece of shitstool..

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

You mean this one? I always thought it looked like Sammy was auditioning for the BeeGees....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh boy.

You Make Me Crazy.

Hadn't heard that one before.

It just chugs along to no particular effect, comes across as devoid of any inspiration either musically or lyrically.

Not gonna say that was "the worst shit ever" because it doesn't even sink to a memorable level of shitty.

Sort of sums up basically how I felt about what stuff of Hagar's I had heard prior to him joining Van Halen. I don't think I had even heard either of the Montrose albums Hagar had sang on prior to him joining Van Halen; probably didn't listen to the Montrose stuff until 2010 or whenever someone had uploaded it on Youtube for free. Really, about the only thing he did prior to joining Van Halen that sort of stood out to me was the track Heavy Metal, and I recall hearing that one from watching the Heavy Metal movie when it was played on premium cable movie channels in the early 1980's. That track and the Three Lock Box track I remember watching the music video of back in the early days of MTV and thinking the song was decent.

I don't remember really hearing the guy getting much of any play on FM radio in the early 1980's. I don't remember any of my friends in my age group in the early 1980's who were getting into rock and roll even so much as mentioning Sammy Hagar until the Can't Drive 55 video came out, and even then the comments were more along the lines of how goofy the video was than the tune itself, which we kinda considered a novelty tune. Oh, and that Hagar said the word "ass" in the tune, which was kind of cool for a 14-year-old back then in a PG-13 sort of way.

He had a couple of good albums with Montrose. When I listened to the Montrose stuff, the guitar and the production stood out more to me than the vocals, but he sang well enough on those. His pre-Van Halen solo career had some commercial success. Not even close to the level of commercial success Hagar later boasted he had, but he squeaked out a couple of Gold albums and a Platinum album in the 1980's. Not bad for what overall has pretty much always come across as average rock music to my ears, I guess.

I can't imagine who would listen to the stuff he has done - particularly the stuff as a solo act - and think it was great or good enough to the point where they wanted to go out and buy it, but I suppose enough did for him to parlay it into a career.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just to put it all in perspective, that Hagar performance was from January 1978. Just weeks before the first Van HALEN album would be released. And not remotely on the same planet, musically speaking. "some kind of alien", indeed....

44. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (09-23-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

46. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (09-23-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

That's Fitz from Night Ranger on keys

48. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-22-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    That's Fitz from Night Ranger on keys
    Hadn't noticed that.

Suppose it makes sense, as Night Ranger were a Bay Area band, I think...and Hagar was also from that area.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fitz actually played bass on the 2nd Montrose record after Bill Church got fired from the band. Both of them ended up with Hagar after Montrose broke up, along with the drummer Denny Carmassi.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hadn't noticed that.

Suppose it makes sense, as Night Ranger were a Bay Area band, I think...and Hagar was also from that area.
    Night Ranger. Ha! Ha!

I remember when we made love in the back of an Aris K. When you close your eyes do you think about pee?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

MegaCheese??

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why do y'all allow the aggravation and self-inflicted torment of revisiting this shit..?

Life is short... don't waste it!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Why do y'all allow the aggravation and self-inflicted torment of revisiting this shit..?

True enough!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

I dunno, it brings me joy to know that despite all of Sammt's ridiculous claims even recently, the proof is in the pudding in all kinds of ways to the contrary...the music, the legacy and these shows where it was a celebrity deathmatch as Dave put it.

Thread Information