Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I want to thank you guys for providing a lot of excellent reading material in this thread.

I'm old, so I was listening to Montrose (thanks to a friends older brother with Mindblower speakers in his car. Anyone remember those?) before VH was known nationwide. I liked Montrose. I saw Hagar open for Boston on March 8, 1979 at Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita, KS. It wasn't Montrose, but he had a pretty fucking good band. Gary Pihl on guitar and Bill Church on bass. It wouldn't be fair to say every piece of material Hagar came out with, was shit. Like Rikk or someone else posted, he's got some decent stuff. Even Dave complemented his longevity way back in 2002 on the Radio Rodeo tour, when they were doing the Dave and Sam tour. Speaking of the Radio Rodeo tour, I still think Dave's version of "Tin Cup Chalice" from the WRIF studio is nothing short of stellar. It was almost like one upping the Jimmy Buffet wannabe at his own game. I have to believe that was calculated. If not, still brilliant.

As far as his pre Van Hagar solo material, he's got some decent stuff in that catalogue too. I took a hit of acid and attended the VOA show. He sat literally right in front of me on the edge of the stage and played "Bad Motor Scooter" on a slide guitar. My hobby in those days, and actually still today, was taking concert photo's. I didn't think enough of Hagar to even take my camera. Looking back, I'm actually shocked I didn't. I was front row and probably should have taken pictures. It was an okay show.

I am by no means a huge fan of Dave's material for the first few years after VH, nor am I a huge fan of most of the Van Hagar era material. There are a few songs I like from each, but rarely listen to either. I think both incarnations rode the wave of 1984. I was not happy with the selection of Vai as Dave's guitarist. I am a riff guy. I like riffs more than solo's. I think the solo is more icing on the cake of the riff. For me, Vai just wasn't consistently a great riffer. I just don't think he had the right chemistry with Dave, and maybe even the rest of the band. Vai has never been able to last in a true band format and for good reason. He's a solo guy. There are a few killer tunes though. I wish Dave had selected Steve Stevens, or maybe even an unknown. I love the DLR Band album and think this is his best post VH album. Well, it's a toss up between that and ALAE.

Dave and Clichegar both have their share of cheesy stuff. But the first 6 and then the 7th Van Halen albums are in a league of their own. Dave has openly stated he doesn't care for "Me Wise Magic". I think that may just be from the sour taste in his mouth for getting ditched right after, for Cherone. "Me Wise Magic" is a killer tune. I wonder if he has changed his opinion of it now that all this time has passed, and so has Ed? Dave and Ed had a chemistry that neither were able to duplicate without each other. Yes, they both made some good music without each other, but nothing close to what the original Van Halen did.

As I mentioned earlier, I am old. I am in fact getting to the desperate stage where I fucking want an official video release of a live show, from the glory days. 1984 or before. Shame on that fucking Wolfgang for caring more about his own career, than his Father's legacy. Like someone else said, he could absolutely turn the process over to someone that is more than capable of handling it. But hey, this is a dumbfuck that has no idea what a true band is. Even after all this touring, his "band" isn't good enough for him, to go into the studio and record an album. Mr Big Shot has to do it all himself. He must pay them well otherwise I have to believe they would bail. Frankly, his music sucks. I'd rather listen to Clichegar than the generic shit he comes up with. Yes, I would love to hear all the stuff in the vault too, but I have been longing for an official live video release, forever. For fucks sake. I can go get a live concert video from virtually every band ever, but this one. Why is that? Those old live shows are fucking LEGEND! HEY WOLFGANG, QUIT BEING A SPOILED WHINY CUNT AND GIVE VAN HALEN FANS WHAT THEY WANT! It's fucking sad that you want to be more like your Dad, but are nothing but a clone of your miserable Mom.

Sorry for rambling on and being all over the map, but you guys have all made some interesting posts in this thread. Well, everyone but NickDelusional. He's too busy posting stupid political shit, than to be bothered with anything VH related.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
      Hagar would have had no clue what to do on stuff like I'm The One, Sinner's Swing, As Is, or Hot for Teacher. No clue whatsoever. They would've turned out like Source of Infection, one of the worst songs ever written. Just screeching over the music and ruining what good is left from Ed's guitar playing.

Just goes to show how important those melodies. I can't stand when people say "it's all about Eddie anyways, it doesn't matter who's singing." Uh, yes it does. Inspired melodies like Panama make that song timeless compared to a generic, can't even hum it to you off the top of my head vocal like Good Enough. And from then on in the Spam era, it was generic, uninspired, made to sell garbage. FUCK is so bland.
      Agreed on all points.

Interesting you mention As Is.

As far as a more recent example of Dave and Ed's chemistry and its clearly all there in that song. Only Dave could put together words like that to Ed's fast boogie. Hagar couldn't. I mean no singer could. Only Dave.

Which is what made the CVH albums and ADKOT so great.

Even Ed himself always complimented on how Dave could somehow manage to throw in melodies and lyrics to some of his more 'out there' music.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        I want to thank you guys for providing a lot of excellent reading material in this thread.

I'm old, so I was listening to Montrose (thanks to a friends older brother with Mindblower speakers in his car. Anyone remember those?) before VH was known nationwide. I liked Montrose. I saw Hagar open for Boston on March 8, 1979 at Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita, KS. It wasn't Montrose, but he had a pretty fucking good band. Gary Pihl on guitar and Bill Church on bass. It wouldn't be fair to say every piece of material Hagar came out with, was shit. Like Rikk or someone else posted, he's got some decent stuff. Even Dave complemented his longevity way back in 2002 on the Radio Rodeo tour, when they were doing the Dave and Sam tour. Speaking of the Radio Rodeo tour, I still think Dave's version of "Tin Cup Chalice" from the WRIF studio is nothing short of stellar. It was almost like one upping the Jimmy Buffet wannabe at his own game. I have to believe that was calculated. If not, still brilliant.

As far as his pre Van Hagar solo material, he's got some decent stuff in that catalogue too. I took a hit of acid and attended the VOA show. He sat literally right in front of me on the edge of the stage and played "Bad Motor Scooter" on a slide guitar. My hobby in those days, and actually still today, was taking concert photo's. I didn't think enough of Hagar to even take my camera. Looking back, I'm actually shocked I didn't. I was front row and probably should have taken pictures. It was an okay show.

I am by no means a huge fan of Dave's material for the first few years after VH, nor am I a huge fan of most of the Van Hagar era material. There are a few songs I like from each, but rarely listen to either. I think both incarnations rode the wave of 1984. I was not happy with the selection of Vai as Dave's guitarist. I am a riff guy. I like riffs more than solo's. I think the solo is more icing on the cake of the riff. For me, Vai just wasn't consistently a great riffer. I just don't think he had the right chemistry with Dave, and maybe even the rest of the band. Vai has never been able to last in a true band format and for good reason. He's a solo guy. There are a few killer tunes though. I wish Dave had selected Steve Stevens, or maybe even an unknown. I love the DLR Band album and think this is his best post VH album. Well, it's a toss up between that and ALAE.

Dave and Clichegar both have their share of cheesy stuff. But the first 6 and then the 7th Van Halen albums are in a league of their own. Dave has openly stated he doesn't care for "Me Wise Magic". I think that may just be from the sour taste in his mouth for getting ditched right after, for Cherone. "Me Wise Magic" is a killer tune. I wonder if he has changed his opinion of it now that all this time has passed, and so has Ed? Dave and Ed had a chemistry that neither were able to duplicate without each other. Yes, they both made some good music without each other, but nothing close to what the original Van Halen did.

As I mentioned earlier, I am old. I am in fact getting to the desperate stage where I fucking want an official video release of a live show, from the glory days. 1984 or before. Shame on that fucking Wolfgang for caring more about his own career, than his Father's legacy. Like someone else said, he could absolutely turn the process over to someone that is more than capable of handling it. But hey, this is a dumbfuck that has no idea what a true band is. Even after all this touring, his "band" isn't good enough for him, to go into the studio and record an album. Mr Big Shot has to do it all himself. He must pay them well otherwise I have to believe they would bail. Frankly, his music sucks. I'd rather listen to Clichegar than the generic shit he comes up with. Yes, I would love to hear all the stuff in the vault too, but I have been longing for an official live video release, forever. For fucks sake. I can go get a live concert video from virtually every band ever, but this one. Why is that? Those old live shows are fucking LEGEND! HEY WOLFGANG, QUIT BEING A SPOILED WHINY CUNT AND GIVE VAN HALEN FANS WHAT THEY WANT! It's fucking sad that you want to be more like your Dad, but are nothing but a clone of your miserable Mom.

Sorry for rambling on and being all over the map, but you guys have all made some interesting posts in this thread. Well, everyone but NickDelusional. He's too busy posting stupid political shit, than to be bothered with anything VH related.
        Dave actually did go to Steve Stevens first. He offered him the gig.

Stevens of course ended up not accepting it and said that he was committed to Billy Idol so declined the offer from Dave.

That's when Dave went to Vai. Vai wasn't his first choice.
        =V V=
        ole No.1 The finest
        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The biggest gangster being Sammy himself. He won’t shoot you but he will kill you or at least make you seriously ill with stuff he calls his music. It might even cause some to develop homosexual fantasies. The dude must have escaped from a government lab.
          See the Aryan bozo with the red guitar
          Parachute on the White House lawn
          Gonna bomb the commies with his air guitar
          So dumb he can't drive 55

Like Bing Crosby before them
          GOVERNMENT MUSIC
          Too idiotic to be real
          GOVERNMENT MUSIC
          You want it loud?
          We'll make sure it goes nowhere
          So you won't get ideas

- Dead Kennedys
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
            Dave actually did go to Steve Stevens first. He offered him the gig.

Stevens of course ended up not accepting it and said that he was committed to Billy Idol so declined the offer from Dave.

That's when Dave went to Vai. Vai wasn't his first choice.
            I know, but for whatever reason, they didn't get together. Maybe Stevens just didn't want to try to live up to basically being Ed's replacement.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I know, but for whatever reason, they didn't get together. Maybe Stevens just didn't want to try to live up to basically being Ed's replacement.
              Yeah who knows. But I believe him when he says he was committed to Idol.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                Yeah who knows. But I believe him when he says he was committed to Idol.
                ...except for the fact that he bailed on Idol after one more album. Though they would reunite several years later, of course. And in those years in between, Stevens worked with Vince Neil of all people.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  ...except for the fact that he bailed on Idol after one more album. Though they would reunite several years later, of course. And in those years in between, Stevens worked with Vince Neil of all people.
                  Replacing Mick Mars is not exactly the same as replacing EVH...
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I, too, want an official live video. Fuck them when they claim that only three songs were filmed in Oakland in '81. At the very least, the Capitol Center '84 show was sitting in Noel Monk's possessions. It was in an inventory. Something needs to get released.

VON, I have a pretty stellar version of US FESTIVAL I burned on Blu-ray from YouTube. There is also an excellent copy of Capitol Center '82 and the South American shows have pretty good copies on YouTube now...all way better than the stuff I used to have on VHS. VERY watchable quality.

I just watched Venezuela '83 (I think it was) one weekend morning with my eight-year-old daughter last week. This girl is the bomb...she's taking guitar lessons and she really listens to music. (She just watched the Zeppelin O2 concert a few weeks ago with my wife and my buddy in our home theater...she sat in my lap when they did STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN and just gazed up at the screen.)

Point is, I know it sucks as we all get older, my friend, that there's nothing official...but there's a LOT of good VH stuff to check out on YouTube right now.

I am personally putting together a sort of VH ANTHOLOGY Blu-ray series from all the great footage I've found on YouTube. I've watched a few great shows from the 2012 tour in my home theater...fans putting together multi-cam edits of shows on the A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH Tour. It's good stuff...VERY watchable. There's also a pretty good multi-cam of the band's very last show at the Hollywood Bowl, sync'd to soundboard sound. If I'm not mistaken, one of our posters here put this together.

Yeah, it sucks there's nothing official. And I want a surround-sound OFFICIAL home release more than pretty much anything else in release-land for ANY band (except maybe a set of Dave-era outtakes). But I'd be happy to post some links to great YouTube stuff if you want.

Also, the Fresno '78 and '79 shows are amazing...in true HD. The quality is pretty stunning...I don't know how the cat who filmed these got such quality (and sound) in the venue. He also filmed a STREET SURVIVORS-era Lynyrd Skynyrd show (when they were a real band), AC/DC with Bon and a bunch of other great stuff.
                    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Also, VON, I agree with you. That first Montrose album was fucking good stuff. I listened to it for the first time maybe 20 years ago and couldn't believe it was Cheesehead. It's a seriously good 70s hard rock album. I was born in the mid-70s...but in my twenties, I started getting into all sorts of 70s rock...like Foghat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rick Derringer... I didn't start realizing that Hagar actually had some pretty good solo stuff until more recently...though most of that stopped for me some years before he got in Van Halen. His 70s stuff definitely isn't bad.

FORD, I am also (however) a huge Dead Kennedys fan. Too bad about DH. I got the IN GOD WE TRUST EP in 1986 and never looked back. I was 11.
                      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                        Replacing Mick Mars is not exactly the same as replacing EVH...
                        You got that right.

I think John 5 is an ultra-talented guitar-player and I have to say, I find it disappointing that he is going to be spending his time playing in Mötley Crüe. It's not that I don't like that band...it's just that they are (for me) long done. They already did their Farewell Tour. Do they really need to tour this thing into the ground?

I'm not going to pretend that John has a busy career making music with Dave...but dammit, they were making good music together.

And I echo VON and stand by what I said earlier: DLR BAND is Dave's best album. I was so depressed when VH III came out. Then DLR BAND hit us hardcore fans and things felt ok again. It definitely proved that Dave would've had the chops had the reunion gone forward.

I remember a buddy of mine would not listen to any song but LITTLE TEXAS for like a month straight. It's one of those Dave solo songs that sits up there with almost anything in the Six-Pack.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                          You got that right.

I think John 5 is an ultra-talented guitar-player and I have to say, I find it disappointing that he is going to be spending his time playing in Mötley Crüe. It's not that I don't like that band...it's just that they are (for me) long done. They already did their Farewell Tour. Do they really need to tour this thing into the ground?

I'm not going to pretend that John has a busy career making music with Dave...but dammit, they were making good music together.

And I echo VON and stand by what I said earlier: DLR BAND is Dave's best album. I was so depressed when VH III came out. Then DLR BAND hit us hardcore fans and things felt ok again. It definitely proved that Dave would've had the chops had the reunion gone forward.

I remember a buddy of mine would not listen to any song but LITTLE TEXAS for like a month straight. It's one of those Dave solo songs that sits up there with almost anything in the Six-Pack.
                          DLR Band is awesome and deserves a re-release (a proper release) from WB.

I was one of the very few who bought the CD back in '98 and so glad I did. Its classic Dave. All the elements he brought to CVH are there on this album.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                            You got that right.

Any guy who mixes Hee Haw with Satan can’t be bad.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              See the Aryan bozo with the red guitar
                              Parachute on the White House lawn
                              Gonna bomb the commies with his air guitar
                              So dumb he can't drive 55

Like Bing Crosby before them
                              GOVERNMENT MUSIC
                              Too idiotic to be real
                              GOVERNMENT MUSIC
                              You want it loud?
                              We'll make sure it goes nowhere
                              So you won't get ideas

- Dead Kennedys
                              You mean the US Capitol lawn. The White House doesn’t have dome on top. The worst crime is Sammy is wearing parachute pants in that picture.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Rikk
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                You mean the US Capitol lawn. The White House doesn’t have dome on top. The worst crime is Sammy is wearing parachute pants in that picture.
                                Possibly the worst album cover in history...
                                Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...