Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, Jello might have messed up that lyric.... but it's punk rock, so "White House lawn" has less syllables than "US Capitol Lawn" so maybe he just went with the one that fit the rhythm of the song better?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
      I tend to agree with both of Heater's posts.
      I don't at all.

Singing big band covers is nothing like creating new cheesy AOR MOR Foreigner ballads and even if Roth had went with the music to Love Walks In (which I really doubt) or Dreams (more likely but doubtful) with different vocal melodies and lyrics the songs would be unrecognisable.

Every Roth solo album is better than every Van Hagar album. I was about to say the same thing about Van Halen and Roth solo - you will disagree but I think EEAS is better than Diver Down.
      Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-15-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'd give my left nut to hear "Eat Thy Neighbor", the alleged Dave version of "Summer Nights" that made it to premix demo before he left...

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
          Dave actually did go to Steve Stevens first. He offered him the gig.

Stevens of course ended up not accepting it and said that he was committed to Billy Idol so declined the offer from Dave.

That's when Dave went to Vai. Vai wasn't his first choice.
          I have so much nostalgia for that time and that summer when EEAS came out that it's difficult to wonder what would have happened with Stevens.

I only discovered the Steve Stevens Vince Neil thing recently when looking up Rebel Yell because I'm playing it at a charity covers band thing next week, I don't know how I missed it it at the time. It was 1993 not 1986 and who knows how much he influenced the song writing. I think it's likely a Steve Stevens EEAS would have been more like CVH than the Vai one, less exciting to guitarists and possibly more commercially successful. Who knows though....

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            I'd give my left nut to hear "Eat Thy Neighbor", the alleged Dave version of "Summer Nights" that made it to premix demo before he left...
            Me too. If Hagar the Horrible is telling the truth in his latest interview rant, they are currently going through the archives... It would be fascinating if EAT THY NEIGHBOR got released...

We can all hope and dream.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I don't at all.

Singing big band covers is nothing like creating new cheesy AOR MOR Foreigner ballads and even if Roth had went with the music to Love Walks In (which I really doubt) or Dreams (more likely but doubtful) with different vocal melodies and lyrics the songs would be unrecognisable.

Every Roth solo album is better than every Van Hagar album. I was about to say the same thing about Van Halen and Roth solo - you will disagree but I think EEAS is better than Diver Down.
              I don't place EEAS as high as DIVER DOWN...but that's because I positively love DIVER DOWN. I guess I would just have to justify my opinion by stating that there is nothing off EEAS (except maybe SHYBOY) that I love as much as LITTLE GUITARS, THE FULL BUG, HANG 'EM HIGH or SECRETS...

But I love both albums.
              Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Rikk
                And while I've been admitting that I've listened to ALL Van Halen since Eddie died, one album I have NOT put on is that fucking FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE. That is the album that is the absolute pits, in my opinion. That album actually got put into the Sheep Pen at one point (an album, not a poster!). Eddie is positively sleepwalking on this one. The riffs, the solos...everything is mid-paced and boring. No imagination.
                The Fuck Van Halen setlist. Jesus Christ no wonder I ignored that band shortly after the release of 5150... "The Dream Is Over"? yeah you got that right...

"Poundcake"
                "Judgement Day"
                "Runaround"
                "When It's Love"
                "There's Only One Way To Rock"
                Bass Solo
                "Pleasure Dome"
                Drum Solo
                "Panama"
                "Right Now"
                "Why Can't This Be Love"
                "Finish What Ya Started"
                "Give To Live"
                Guitar Solo
                "You Really Got Me"
                "I Can't Drive 55"
                "Best Of Both Worlds"
                "Top Of The World"
                "Jump"
                "The Dream Is Over"

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't place EEAS as high as DIVER DOWN...but that's because I positively love DIVER DOWN. I guess I would just have to justify my opinion by stating that there is nothing off EEAS (except maybe SHYBOY) that I love as much as LITTLE GUITARS, THE FULL BUG, HANG 'EM HIGH or SECRETS...

But I love both albums.
                  I get it but Diver Down is just a great EP not an album - 4 songs 14 minutes of music. A couple of the covers are good but a couple of them basically aren't.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

I get it but Diver Down is just a great EP not an album - 4 songs 14 minutes of music. A couple of the covers are good but a couple of them basically aren't.
                    I agree it's got too many covers...but I love WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE? and I've always had a soft spot for BIG BAD BILL (my wife loves that one too).

That said, DIVER DOWN has the only classic Van Halen song I truly dislike: I hate DANCIN' IN THE STREET. I've always hated that song. I hate every fucking version of that song. I hate Mick Jagger & David Bowie's version. I like the Dead and I hate their version.

Don't get me wrong: EEAS is great. But I will say, I don't think it's quite as strong as DLR BAND. That was the lost VH album, to me. Check out LITTLE TEXAS...just a stunning song.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

The Fuck Van Halen setlist. Jesus Christ no wonder I ignored that band shortly after the release of 5150... "The Dream Is Over"? yeah you got that right...

"Poundcake"
                      "Judgement Day"
                      "Runaround"
                      "When It's Love"
                      Bass Solo
                      "Pleasure Dome"
                      Drum Solo
                      "Panama"
                      "Right Now"
                      "Why Can't This Be Love"
                      "Finish What Ya Started"
                      "Give To Live"
                      Guitar Solo
                      "You Really Got Me"
                      "I Can't Drive 55"
                      "Best Of Both Worlds"
                      "Top Of The World"
                      "Jump"
                      "The Dream Is Over"
                      Seriously, that setlist is an insult. It's just trash. It's like a big fuck you to fans.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I agree it's got too many covers...but I love WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE? and I've always had a soft spot for BIG BAD BILL (my wife loves that one too).

That said, DIVER DOWN has the only classic Van Halen song I truly dislike: I hate DANCIN' IN THE STREET. I've always hated that song. I hate every fucking version of that song. I hate Mick Jagger & David Bowie's version. I like the Dead and I hate their version.
                        I agree with all of that and funnily enough BBB was the end titles to our wedding video.

Dancing in the Street may be the worst song on first 6 albums if not it's Pretty Woman or Intruder.

Nowadays you would and it's easy to just ignore all the crap listening on Spotify or whatever but back in the days of vinyl it was a pain in the ass especially given the super short length,

The best songs on DD are better than the best on EEAS but EEAS is better overall as a complete piece I would argue.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"The Dream Is Over"
                          It's actually kind of surprising the gaps in my Van Hagar knowledge. I thought this was maybe a cover.

Just listened to it - it's shit songwriting from Hagar with a decent guitar solo.

Also pretty fucking weird for an arena act 14 years into their recording career to finish their set with a new single - the 5th from the album? Shows they had completely lost the plot by that point.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

"Poundcake"
                            "Judgement Day"
                            "Runaround"
                            "When It's Love"
                            Bass Solo
                            "Pleasure Dome"
                            Drum Solo
                            "Panama"
                            "Right Now"
                            "Why Can't This Be Love"
                            "Finish What Ya Started"
                            "Give To Live"
                            Guitar Solo
                            "You Really Got Me"
                            "I Can't Drive 55"
                            "Best Of Both Worlds"
                            "Top Of The World"
                            "Jump"
                            "The Dream Is Over"
                            That set list could cause erectile dysfunction.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Me too. If Hagar the Horrible is telling the truth in his latest interview rant, they are currently going through the archives... It would be fascinating if EAT THY NEIGHBOR got released...

Keep dreaming. Hagar and truth go together as well as onions and ice cream.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

How would Sammy know anything if the Van Halens don't talk to him? Wolfgang is busy being on the road and making a new album. He said going through the vaults would be a huge job. He currently doesn't have time nor the desire. Alex might be going through that stuff but how would Sammy know?

Comment

Working...