X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    True but damn Dave was really singing his heart out on that tour. One of the best shows ever.

He was truly making a statement during that era. Not just on the record but the show itself.
    Dave was balls to the wall sending a big FU message to VH.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Ed and Al hated Dancing in the Streets. If I ever have to run a float in a Pride parade that’s the song that will be playing from it. That and Sammy songs.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Heater
        Only 15 million? I say 6 bajillion…..occupying every spot in the top 10 at the same time. I mean, look what they did when they finally reunited,ADKOT…..dwarfed Rumours, annihilated Thriller, buried The Eagles Greatest Hits……..
        Albums weren't selling in 2012, like they were when all those were released. Nice apples to apples comparison.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
          I agree it's got too many covers...but I love WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE? and I've always had a soft spot for BIG BAD BILL (my wife loves that one too).

That said, DIVER DOWN has the only classic Van Halen song I truly dislike: I hate DANCIN' IN THE STREET. I've always hated that song. I hate every fucking version of that song. I hate Mick Jagger & David Bowie's version. I like the Dead and I hate their version..
          Some of those late 70s "Disco Dead" albums were borderline cringe worthy. Glad they reversed that direction and came back strong in the 80s.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            I don't at all.

Singing big band covers is nothing like creating new cheesy AOR MOR Foreigner ballads and even if Roth had went with the music to Love Walks In (which I really doubt) or Dreams (more likely but doubtful) with different vocal melodies and lyrics the songs would be unrecognisable.

Every Roth solo album is better than every Van Hagar album. I was about to say the same thing about Van Halen and Roth solo - you will disagree but I think EEAS is better than Diver Down.
            I'd say I like EEAS and DD about the same, perhaps DD a little more...

The best stuff on DD tends to resonate with me more as time goes by, and for as maligned as that album has been by some there's quite a bit of good stuff on DD.

Hang 'Em High
            Cathedral
            Secrets
            (Oh) Pretty Woman: yeah, it is a cover, but it is a Van Halenized one and if I want to listen to the tune I'm always going for VH's version and not the Orbison original
            Little Guitars intro/Little Guitars
            The Full Bug

While I don't dislike EEAS, I find I'm listening to it less and less as time goes by. I still dig the attitude Roth brought and the performances, but some of the songs seem little more than excuses for Vai to lay down yet another blazing, lightning-fingered solo: too much icing and too little cake.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
              The Van Hagar albums would have been much different and much better with Dave singing the songs. Melody wise and otherwise. I think all of us can agree on that.

The EEAS stuff would have been much different and much better with Ed, Al and Mike playing the music. I'd think most of us agree with that.

EEAS was like the sports team filled with superstars. No cohesiveness. No chemistry. All about individuals, even though it's supposed to be a team. A team with chemistry, cohesiveness and competitive heart will beat a team of superstars nearly every time. Like someone else said, EEAS was a wankfest. There are some great moments, but not enough team play to not only make nearly everything great, but to sustain greatness. CVH proved this with their longevity and timelessness. They also proved it with many years passing, by reuniting and proving the magic was still there. Not only once, but twice. 1996 and 2012. I love ADKOT, but I have zero doubt in my mind, it would be better if Mike had participated. He was 1/4 of the magic.

I love Diver Down. I do hate Dancing In The Streets though. Every fucking version out there, not just VH's. But hey, I hate Jump too. Not just because it has been over played. I remember exactly where I was the first time I ever heard it played on the radio, and I was sorely disappointed. Everybody I knew busted my balls about that shit song. Fortunately they had nothing to say when the entire album came out, as it was killer. There simply aren't very many songs in the entire CVH catalogue that I skip over, but Dancing In The Streets and Jump are two that I absolutely cannot get to the skip button fast enough.
              Yep.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                I'd say I like EEAS and DD about the same, perhaps DD a little more...

The best stuff on DD tends to resonate with me more as time goes by, and for as maligned as that album has been by some there's quite a bit of good stuff on DD.

Hang 'Em High
                Cathedral
                Secrets
                (Oh) Pretty Woman: yeah, it is a cover, but it is a Van Halenized one and if I want to listen to the tune I'm always going for VH's version and not the Orbison original
                Little Guitars intro/Little Guitars
                The Full Bug

While I don't dislike EEAS, I find I'm listening to it less and less as time goes by. I still dig the attitude Roth brought and the performances, but some of the songs seem little more than excuses for Vai to lay down yet another blazing, lightning-fingered solo: too much icing and too little cake.

Yeah it gets old hearing Vai and Sheehan going Dee Didly Dee Dee Wee Wee

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

You knobs! I like Dancing in the Street and if that's the worst CVH I'll take it any day over When it's Love...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I don’t think I’ve listened to Diver Down in the past 30 years.

Comment

• Silexxx
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Sep 2010

This youtube channel has a lot of Van Hagar era songs without Hag. Somebody removed the vocals using some software. Maybe WB should just re-release those albums instrumental.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        I don’t think I’ve listened to Diver Down in the past 30 years.
                        I cunt imagine not throwing it on around Memorial Day...

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          You knobs! I like Dancing in the Street and if that's the worst CVH I'll take it any day over When it's Love...
                          Of course you do. Nickdfaggit

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Silexxx
                            [video=youtube_share;5BvQZ-yvtOE]
                            This youtube channel has a lot of Van Hagar era songs without Hag. Somebody removed the vocals using some software. Maybe WB should just re-release those albums instrumental.
                            You know if you listen to this it's actually a bit of a defence for Hagar because by Ed standards it's clearly mediocre. Maybe it's booze, maybe it's out of ideas or maybe Roth did make him raise his standard but compare that music to Top Jimmy, Girl Gone Bad or anything on 1984!

"After so many years of fumbling dysfunction that reduced the once-proud Van Halen name to a laughing stock, A Different Kind Of Truth matters because it's a reminder of why this band mattered, Roth deserves some of the credit for that. For whatever reason, when Roth is in the band, Eddie Van Halen plays guitar like the world wants him to play guitar." - Steven Hyden The AV Club

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              You know if you listen to this it's actually a bit of a defence for Hagar because by Ed standards it's clearly mediocre. Maybe it's booze, maybe it's out of ideas or maybe Roth did make him raise his standard but compare that music to Top Jimmy, Girl Gone Bad or anything on 1984!
                              I agree.

I said it earlier in this thread. For whatever reason, Ed got very lazy post-1984.

5150 the song is probably the only standout riff from that album. Otherwise its just wankery and not up the same standard Ed had delivered on the six pack.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

It’s a lack of inspiration. How inspired are you going to be hanging around Sammy Hagar all the time? Hang around Sam too much and you start eating too many cheese sandwiches, you gain some weight and start picking your ass.

Comment

Working...