Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I agree.

I said it earlier in this thread. For whatever reason, Ed got very lazy post-1984.

5150 the song is probably the only standout riff from that album. Otherwise its just wankery and not up the same standard Ed had delivered on the six pack.
    Roth has mentioned the tension that existed and drove him and the Van Halens... I believe that catalyst was lost when they parted ways post 84. For the most part, I think that element had worn out Ed by that point. He needed a break from it.

Working with Hagar lowered the creative bar in many ways for the band. His simpleton song writing structures were easy to please Ed and didn't challenge him to adapt to complex melody based compositions.

Also throw in the loss of Templeman producing... Another element was a combination of the success of Jump and their fame bought Ed a broader creative freedom with keys and pop influences. Roth wasn't very supportive of that range of musical compositions... Hager helped fuel it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (11-18-2022),Von Halen (11-18-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It’s a lack of inspiration. How inspired are you going to be hanging around Sammy Hagar all the time? Hang around Sam too much and you start eating too many cheese sandwiches, you gain some weight and start picking your ass.
    You may be onto something. Joe Satriani became bland and insipid in Chickenshit. Hell that guy Vic in his band is still struggling to play even the easy Van Hagar solos after 25 years trying...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Only 15 million? I say 6 bajillion…..occupying every spot in the top 10 at the same time. I mean, look what they did when they finally reunited,ADKOT…..dwarfed Rumours, annihilated Thriller, buried The Eagles Greatest Hits……..
    It's posts like this, ignoring pretty much anything like the fact that it was over a decade after records stopped selling in great numbers (except so much of the crap that comes out of Nashville now or things like Lady Gaga)...pretty much ignoring the fact that ADKOT came out decades after the 1984 craze was over...that lead me to shrug my shoulders and just conclude that you are some guy sorta stalking a David Lee Roth fansite and trying to get people worked up... It's pathetic.

I don't understand the appeal of Bon Jovi...or Journey. I can't imagine any emptiness in my life that would cause me to sign up and post obnoxious posts on said bands.

I would have to be really devoid of anything meaningful in my life to waste my time stalking said sites just to work up longtime fans of said bands.

I post here because when I was eight, I saw the JUMP video and became a VH convert. At the age of 10 or 11, I finally heard something from 5150 and thought, "This isn't the same. I don't really like this the same. Where's Dave?"

I still listen to classic Van Halen with great regularity. I put the first six albums and A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH up there with Led Zeppelin or a handful of other truly great bands.

Heater or whatever the hell your name is, you seem to know an awful lot about a band you don't really like.

In the old days, I would have called you a sheep.

Now, I'm tired...the drive is gone...

You bore me.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

True but damn Dave was really singing his heart out on that tour. One of the best shows ever.

He was truly making a statement during that era. Not just on the record but the show itself.
    I still love the excellent quality boot of that tour...Detroit is it? Montreal? Anyway, the EEAS show that's now on YouTube is great quality and a fun watch. And unlike the 5150 tour, they play a ton of the 6-pack live. The setlist on the 5150 tour, with Hagar even getting fans to sing JUMP, was nothing but a fuck you to old school fans of the band. I will admit, they do a really solid version of the song 5150 on the LWAN concert video, Eddie doing a great solo. But they literally acted like there was no band before Hagar joined. I just can't believe they didn't think that the old-school fans would get pissed off.

When Van Hagar succeeded, it wasn't because all the old-school fans were so happy with the change. It's because a lot of new fans jumped onboard and found Van Halen suddenly palatable where they didn't before. And that's where the war between two fanbase factions originated.

In the long-term, the Dave-era won the war. The 2007-2015 reunion absolutely destroyed the 2004 reunion with ticket sales, media...general popularity. I almost never listen to radio anymore...but when I do turn it on, I heard the 6-pack on the radio all the time. I do listen to Sirius, and they play classic VH all the time. I rarely hear the Sham stuff ever...and if I do, it's pretty much WCTBL, RIGHT NOW or maybe DREAMS. That's it.

And why did the Dave-era win the war? Because their fans were far more passionate, rabid...they STILL care decades later. The Sam thing was popular at the time...but it didn't have staying power.

BOTTOM LINE: If Van Halen recorded four albums ever in their whole career (5150, OU812, F.U.C.K. and BALANCE), they would not be remembered with the same aura of legend, they would very likely not be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame and they simply would not be talked about very much.

Sham rode the wave of the legend of a great band.

6. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (11-18-2022),Von Halen (11-18-2022)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Some of those late 70s "Disco Dead" albums were borderline cringe worthy. Glad they reversed that direction and came back strong in the 80s.
    Yep...although, I will say that ESTIMATED PROPHET ('77) is still my all-time favorite Dead song.

They were on a pretty unbeatable run between SKULL & ROSES, EUROPE '72, WAKE OF THE FLOOD, MARS HOTEL and even BLUES FOR ALLAH.

It's funny how much better some of the solid material from TERRAPIN STATION, SHAKEDOWN STREET and GO TO HEAVEN sounds live, especially in those peak live years between 1987-1991.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Of course you do. Nickdfaggit
    Go finger your asshole to Kid Cock!

9. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (11-18-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It’s a lack of inspiration. How inspired are you going to be hanging around Sammy Hagar all the time? Hang around Sam too much and you start eating too many cheese sandwiches, you gain some weight and start picking your ass.
    Yeah, or you just drink more to tune his obnoxious douchebaggery out:
    Sammy Hagar admitted to “goofing off” sometimes when it came to writing lyrics for Van Halen tracks.

The singer explained that having fun with Eddie Van Halen was more important than delivering strong words during his early days with the band. “I think I write better lyrics now than when I was in Van Halen,” Hagar told Guitar World in a recent interview. “I mean, some of those songs were great; but a lot of times, I was clowning around because Eddie and I were always goofing off so much.”

He continued: “Back then, Eddie and I were doing these crazy acrobatics where I would sing crazy lines, and he'd go nuts on the guitar. When I was in Van Halen, at least in the early days, it was all about having fun.” Hagar added that his latest album, Crazy Times, didn’t include any “silly lyrics,” emphasizing: “I hate to say I did that in Van Halen, but I did.”

Asked if he’d ever “needed to make things up” if inspiration abandoned him, Hagar said: “I wouldn't say I like doing it, but I've done it my whole life when I’ve needed another song or two to flesh out a record. It’s something where I’d write a love song that’s not necessarily coming from the heart, but you gotta do it. You make up some cool rhymes, remember when you were madly in love, and then you get a song.”

The Red Rocker recalled how Van Halen assembled 5150 and OU812, his first two albums with the band. “With those, we jammed, and boom, it was done,” Hagar said, before explaining that For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was his favorite of the catalog. “I think it's even better than 5150 because the writing, vocals, and the way the band was playing tops it."

Sammy Hagar Admits to ‘Goofing Off’ While Writing Van Halen Songs
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-18-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I still love the excellent quality boot of that tour...Detroit is it? Montreal? Anyway, the EEAS show that's now on YouTube is great quality and a fun watch. And unlike the 5150 tour, they play a ton of the 6-pack live. The setlist on the 5150 tour, with Hagar even getting fans to sing JUMP, was nothing but a fuck you to old school fans of the band. I will admit, they do a really solid version of the song 5150 on the LWAN concert video, Eddie doing a great solo. But they literally acted like there was no band before Hagar joined. I just can't believe they didn't think that the old-school fans would get pissed off.

When Van Hagar succeeded, it wasn't because all the old-school fans were so happy with the change. It's because a lot of new fans jumped onboard and found Van Halen suddenly palatable where they didn't before. And that's where the war between two fanbase factions originated.

In the long-term, the Dave-era won the war. The 2007-2015 reunion absolutely destroyed the 2004 reunion with ticket sales, media...general popularity. I almost never listen to radio anymore...but when I do turn it on, I heard the 6-pack on the radio all the time. I do listen to Sirius, and they play classic VH all the time. I rarely hear the Sham stuff ever...and if I do, it's pretty much WCTBL, RIGHT NOW or maybe DREAMS. That's it.

And why did the Dave-era win the war? Because their fans were far more passionate, rabid...they STILL care decades later. The Sam thing was popular at the time...but it didn't have staying power.

BOTTOM LINE: If Van Halen recorded four albums ever in their whole career (5150, OU812, F.U.C.K. and BALANCE), they would not be remembered with the same aura of legend, they would very likely not be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame and they simply would not be talked about very much.

The real pity is that there are not more soundboard or FM sourced tapes of live Van Halen from Fair Warning era on, and of course a ProShot vid would be great. I think the clock has run out of other finds like the one from the UK where a father found his deceased, former-roadie son's stash of live tapes that are the several live SB boots from 78' when they opened for Sabbith.

I've heard a rumor that the 1984 show at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium was recorded using the Sabres broadcast cameras like Largo was, but I could never come up with anything, I even asked one of the former broadcast directors who also worked for Hockey Night in Canada and he knew nothing of it....

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    The real pity is that there are not more soundboard or FM sourced tapes of live Van Halen from Fair Warning era on, and of course a ProShot vid would be great. I think the clock has run out of other finds like the one from the UK where a father found his deceased, former-roadie son's stash of live tapes that are the several live SB boots from 78' when they opened for Sabbith.

I've heard a rumor that the 1984 show at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium was recorded using the Sabres broadcast cameras like Largo was, but I could never come up with anything, I even asked one of the former broadcast directors who also worked for Hockey Night in Canada and he knew nothing of it....
    Monk had tapes. Supposedly Ed and Al were viewing these sometime obviously before Ed got too ill. I don't know where or who said that actually happened.

But whatever the case there are certainly tapes, audio and video of CVH shows 78-84. Whether we will see or hear any of them of course remains a mystery.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Monk is also dead.... or so I've heard. I don't think I ever saw an official news story announcing his death. But if that's the case, who has his tapes?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Monk was having a fire sale of his VH memorabilia some months or a year or so. IDK about tapes as that could be copyright infringement, I'm sure the Van Halens would think so. Maybe he sold them on the down low...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

Hagar always claimed that he was considered for VH instead of Dave. It might have even been in Templeman's book, I don't remember. If VH did arrive in '78 with Hagar singing, I doubt they would have been as successful as they were with Dave. Maybe not even as historically significant. Probably would have been a lot of reviews saying "the guitar player's great, but the songs are awful."

16. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (11-19-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Templeman did produce the first Montrose album, so I could see a technical case for him making that argument.... but it's also a fact that when VH split, Ted went with Dave and did not produce 5150. And while he's listed as producer on "FUCK", he really didn't do much on that album. Andy Johns & Eddie were probably the "real" producers, from what I've read over the years.

So if Ted Templeman considered Spam as a singer for VH in 1977, he damn sure didn't keep the opinion that he was better than DLR.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's Eddie playing the song that would eventually become Van Hagar's "Amsterdam". 10 years before recording it....

Had Van HALEN completed their 7th album in 1985, imagine what that song could have been.... instead of some dopey lyric about a cheese peddler going all the way to Amsterdam to buy some weed

19. 5 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (11-19-2022),Nickdfresh (11-19-2022),Silexxx (11-19-2022),Terry (11-19-2022),Von Halen (11-19-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think I've heard that song the whole way through. Reminds a little of The Who's Sparks/Amazing Journey live...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Templeman did produce the first Montrose album, so I could see a technical case for him making that argument.... but it's also a fact that when VH split, Ted went with Dave and did not produce 5150. And while he's listed as producer on "FUCK", he really didn't do much on that album. Andy Johns & Eddie were probably the "real" producers, from what I've read over the years.

So if Ted Templeman considered Spam as a singer for VH in 1977, he damn sure didn't keep the opinion that he was better than DLR.
    I read Ted saying this. He's pretty much straight up in his opinion that the band was extra special with Dave and then they lost something. He doesn't say that in one sentence...but he definitely comes across as if that's how he feels.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I read Ted saying this. He's pretty much straight up in his opinion that the band was extra special with Dave and then they lost something. He doesn't say that in one sentence...but he definitely comes across as if that's how he feels.
    Ted didn't think the band should be called Van Halen after Dave left. I think [Templeman] said in his book, if memory serves, the name change (or lack thereof) was the main sticking point for him not wanting to produce 5150. That 'Van Halen' was Dave, Ed, Al and Mike. It wasn't anything regarding Hagar per se, but that ANY other lead singer changed the chemistry.

I think in the book Templeman mentioned he was brought in on FUCK because Hagar wasn't getting along with Andy Johns, so Templeman came in to basically produce some of the vocal tracks on the album.

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe once you hear the upcoming vinyl ressues you'll change your tune...

Van Halen Launches Sammy Hagar-Era Vinyl Remaster Campaign
    Van Halen will begin revisiting their Sammy Hagar years by releasing the first-ever vinyl edition
    of Live: Right Here, Right Now on April 22 for Record Store Day.

Bernie Grundman has freshly remastered the band's 1993 live album from the master tapes. Other
    vinyl reissues from the Hagar period will follow shortly, with the group's longtime engineer, Donn
    Landee, supervising the work.

Full story at:
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-...agar-reissues/

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the story should read "Warner Brothers Launches..."

Here comes more Hagar lies.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can remember about the LRHRN album is that their 'live' (apparently much of the album was re-recorded in the studio post-performance...then again, we all know lots of 'live' albums had this same treatment) version of The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again got a decent amount of airplay on the primary local terrestrial rock radio station where I was living at the time [the live album] was initially released, and I remember thinking at the time Van Hagar's version wasn't anything that the world needed to hear. I don't think I've listened to anything else off that album.

I do remember renting the live home video release from the FUCK tour around that same period, watching it once and not being able to get to the end of it because it was boring.

It was right around that point, somewhere between FUCK and Balance, that I finally gave up on Van Halen coming up with the goods while Hagar was in the band. I had given the first three studio albums with Hagar each a fair listen, because I figured even with Dave gone 3/4's of the band SHOULD be able to come up with something on an instrumental level that moved me as much as what the band did on those first 6 classic albums. When I was so huge into the band when Dave was in it, probably 75% of that was due to what Eddie was doing.

The whole band got lazy after Dave left. Ed didn't have anybody to push him anymore. Thus, the reasons why Van Hagar didn't work...it wasn't entirely Sammy's fault. Not to me. Often, people say that they'd be interested in hearing what Dave could have done with the Van Hagar instrumental tracks as recorded. Not me. I'd be interested in some of those instrumental tracks being through a rehearsal/production process with Roth and Ted and refined.

But, yeah, when Balance rolled around, I think I heard the album once from start-to-finish...heard the singles off it once or twice. No longer gave a shit. Van Halen for me had tanked...well, really, they had tanked for me when Dave left. Commercially, they tanked when Cherone joined, but that Sam Halen stuff seems even more of it's time (as opposed to timeless) these days than it did when it was initially released.

CVH resonates more strongly with me as the years go by.

Only test that matters: the test of time.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    CVH resonates more strongly with me as the years go by.

Only test that matters: the test of time.
    And not just you. The general impression is that the Roth era accounts for about 80% of streaming listens, plays in the media, playlists and top 10 lists of Van Halen these days.

That it isn't 100% is weird to me but it's moving in the right direction.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The live album is a limited edition of 7500. Watch Hagar claim it's a million seller.

28. 5 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Silexxx (02-20-2023),Terry (02-20-2023),Vinnie Velvet (02-21-2023),Von Halen (02-20-2023),ZahZoo (02-20-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    And not just you. The general impression is that the Roth era accounts for about 80% of streaming listens, plays in the media, playlists and top 10 lists of Van Halen these days.

That it isn't 100% is weird to me but it's moving in the right direction.
    Really, the sole Van Hagar track that resonates with me these days is 5150, which I've always thought guitar-wise was brilliant. It's also the only Van Hagar track I sought out the tab to and futzed around with: even other Van Hagar tracks like Pleasuredome where I liked the guitar work, I never liked them enough to bother with wanting to learn how to play them.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Really, the sole Van Hagar track that resonates with me these days is 5150, which I've always thought guitar-wise was brilliant.
    The vocal 'melody' is a complete failure. It's barely a song. Being as super kind as I can to Hagar it would have been quite challenging to write a good melody to it and as a lazy mediocre talent there wasn't a prayer he was ever going to manage it. They should have just left it as an instrumental. Roth probably could have managed because that was his real super talent that is rarely mentioned - the super experienced producer on ADKOT did but most people miss it.

A Van Hagar version of Hot For Teacher, I'm The One, Romeo Delight any of those songs would just have been guitar demonstrations not great songs that people still love 40 years later.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah 5150 sounds like one of those youtube mashup songs where the vocals kinda fits with the music but not really.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I think the story should read "Warner Brothers Launches..."

Here comes more Hagar lies.
    True. But I think Al would've had to greenlight this in order for WB/Rhino to re-release it. Not sure.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was actually surprised that RHRN was getting a rerelease remaster and then the other Van Hagar albums getting the same treatment.

I think Alex still hates Sam which is why I find this remaster campaign of Van Hagar surprising.

Perhaps this is all WB/Rhino that is pushing it. But one would think Alex would still have to give the go ahead.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno if WB/Rhino owns the rights and if they do, it allows them to put out whatever. Kind of like when an act moves to a different label and scores a hit, then the former label puts out a greatest hits without any input from the band.

Odd that Al would sign off on red vinyl being red is Hagarelli's favorite color.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno if WB/Rhino owns the rights and if they do, it allows them to put out whatever. Kind of like when an act moves to a different label and scores a hit, then the former label puts out a greatest hits without any input from the band.

Odd that Al would sign off on red vinyl being red is Hagarelli's favorite color.
    Yes, very odd.

Perhaps WB/Rhino do in fact own the rights. But they waited this long to start releasing them? Who knows what the story is.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe it was planned and Ed's death delayed the release. It's been 2 1/2 years, if they put it out that first year it would scream cash grab. It still might.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe it was planned and Ed's death delayed the release. It's been 2 1/2 years, if they put it out that first year it would scream cash grab. It still might.
    The market for Van Hagar just isn't as strong as for CVH.

You can compare the streaming numbers for both and its pretty clear I think. Even the day Ed passed, the top VH albums and songs streamed were all from CVH with exception to Why Cant this Be Love.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    But the continual re-releasing of previously released material was taking place well before Ed passed away - to be fair, Van Halen are far from the only band to have this done with their back catalogue - so this latest one is just a continuum.

Which, I dunno if Alex has ultimate control or has to approve of such releases or if WB/Rhino, as you say, has unilateral control over the back catalogue and can issue said re-releases at their discretion.

At least with BOV1 and BOBW the band cooked up some new tracks to accompany the reselling of old material. All these other "remastering" reissues (again, Van Halen obviously not the only band to do this)...honestly, I have as yet to hear a remastered reissue that sounded appreciably better than older versions. Yeah, obviously going from vinyl to cd one can hear a difference, but when a back catalog has been reissued from one cd version to another and then another...I don't hear much difference (if any). Maybe I just have shit in my ears, but the Van Halen cds I bought in the late 1990s still sound fine to me.

People are clearly free to buy what they want, but I've already bought vinyl, cassette and (for some albums) 2 cd versions...for the same fucking Van Halen album! Love that band as much as anybody, but just don't feel the need to keep repurchasing the back catalog. I get that the upcoming LRHRN release is a limited release that will appeal to niche collectors, but in general terms I never bought a ticket on the "fabulous new digital remastered version!" bullshit train.

As always, I blame Sammy Hagar: even if he had nothing to do with it, it's clearly his fault.

39. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (02-21-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The vocal 'melody' is a complete failure. It's barely a song. Being as super kind as I can to Hagar it would have been quite challenging to write a good melody to it and as a lazy mediocre talent there wasn't a prayer he was ever going to manage it. They should have just left it as an instrumental. Roth probably could have managed because that was his real super talent that is rarely mentioned - the super experienced producer on ADKOT did but most people miss it.

A Van Hagar version of Hot For Teacher, I'm The One, Romeo Delight any of those songs would just have been guitar demonstrations not great songs that people still love 40 years later.

Agreed 100% that lyrically and vocally the track doesn't work, but as you say with Hagar...Hagar only had so much game and the limitations of his talent lyrically and in terms of crafting melody...all of that was baked into the cake before he joined Van Halen...Hagar couldn't raise his game up any higher. Not so much out of laziness but because his middle of the road AOR...er...'style' was as good as it was ever gonna get in the runup years to him hooking up with the band.

Look...the loveline is NEVER straight and narrow UNLESS your love is tried and true...(man, I feel ashamed for even knowing just the opening lyrics)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    [i]"He continued: “Back then, Eddie and I were doing these crazy acrobatics where I would sing crazy lines, and he'd go nuts on the guitar. When I was in Van Halen, at least in the early days, it was all about having fun.” Hagar added that his latest album, Crazy Times, didn’t include any “silly lyrics,” emphasizing: “I hate to say I did that in Van Halen, but I did.”

Ok I went and had a look at the new poetry of Hagar now that he is taking his lyric writing seriously and not "goofing around" any more.

You may have to prepare yourself in advance for the wonderful use of language, the really profound moments when he brilliantly points out things a lesser artist could never express so beautifully. You may even find that a friend or family member asks you why you are tearing up at the sheer emotion this genius can convey through his art.

Crazy Times

Song by Sammy Hagar and The Circle

Let's put our hands together and pray for rain
    To wash us down
    Wash us down
    To wash us down
    Then let the sun come out and shine again
    Shining down
    Shining down
    Just shining down

Baby, what's the worry?
    Someday we're all gonna die
    Everybody's in a hurry
    In these crazy times, yeah

That half-full glass, is empty now
    It's upside down
    Upside down
    It's empty now
    We got so jaded, fat and faded
    In these crazy times
    These crazy times

Baby, what's the worry?
    You know we're all gonna die
    Everybody's in a hurry
    It's these crazy times, yeah
    These crazy timеs
    Crazy times
    Oh

Now baby, what's the worry?
    Someday wе all gonna die
    Everybody's in a hurry
    In these crazy times

Huh
    Yeah
    Huh
    Hey

In these crazy times
    These crazy times
    Crazy times

Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-21-2023 at 04:12 PM.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agreed 100% that lyrically and vocally the track doesn't work, but as you say with Hagar...Hagar only had so much game and the limitations of his talent lyrically and in terms of crafting melody...all of that was baked into the cake before he joined Van Halen...Hagar couldn't raise his game up any higher. Not so much out of laziness but because his middle of the road AOR...er...'style' was as good as it was ever gonna get in the runup years to him hooking up with the band.

Look...the loveline is NEVER straight and narrow UNLESS your love is tried and true...(man, I feel ashamed for even knowing just the opening lyrics)
    Holy mother of hell are those lyrics bad.

Van Hagar was a complete castration of the brilliance of CVH. Even Ed's guitar wizardry couldn't save it.

43. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-22-2023)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But the continual re-releasing of previously released material was taking place well before Ed passed away - to be fair, Van Halen are far from the only band to have this done with their back catalogue - so this latest one is just a continuum.

Which, I dunno if Alex has ultimate control or has to approve of such releases or if WB/Rhino, as you say, has unilateral control over the back catalogue and can issue said re-releases at their discretion.

At least with BOV1 and BOBW the band cooked up some new tracks to accompany the reselling of old material. All these other "remastering" reissues (again, Van Halen obviously not the only band to do this)...honestly, I have as yet to hear a remastered reissue that sounded appreciably better than older versions. Yeah, obviously going from vinyl to cd one can hear a difference, but when a back catalog has been reissued from one cd version to another and then another...I don't hear much difference (if any). Maybe I just have shit in my ears, but the Van Halen cds I bought in the late 1990s still sound fine to me.

People are clearly free to buy what they want, but I've already bought vinyl, cassette and (for some albums) 2 cd versions...for the same fucking Van Halen album! Love that band as much as anybody, but just don't feel the need to keep repurchasing the back catalog. I get that the upcoming LRHRN release is a limited release that will appeal to niche collectors, but in general terms I never bought a ticket on the "fabulous new digital remastered version!" bullshit train.

As always, I blame Sammy Hagar: even if he had nothing to do with it, it's clearly his fault.
    Funny van-halen.com hasn't even made mention of the RHRN vinyl release or the rest of Van Hagar getting the rerelease treatment.

Although I wouldn't put so much stock in the VH website. However, whenever Alex wants to deliver a message on Ed's birthday or the anniversary of his death he's done so via the website.

That can be a sign that the Van Hagar remasters are purely driven by WB/Rhino.

45. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-22-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they want to release a live album (on vinyl or otherwise) fuck that Van Hagar shit, they should be releasing a "40th Anniversary US Festival" live album right around Memorial Day.

And release the video too, of course.

47. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (02-21-2023)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

The market for Van Hagar just isn't as strong as for CVH.
    I wonder if they'll even sell all 7500.

Can you imagine a Dave era live album from 1984 or before being limited to 7500? It would break the internet!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I wonder if they'll even sell all 7500.

Can you imagine a Dave era live album from 1984 or before being limited to 7500? It would break the internet!
    That's right. It would never be a limited sell. The demand is too high.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I seem to remember the vinyl version of ADKOT selling out within a week or so, and that album barely had any promotion.

Thread Information