X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
    I don't place EEAS as high as DIVER DOWN...but that's because I positively love DIVER DOWN. I guess I would just have to justify my opinion by stating that there is nothing off EEAS (except maybe SHYBOY) that I love as much as LITTLE GUITARS, THE FULL BUG, HANG 'EM HIGH or SECRETS...

But I love both albums.
    Eat Em and Smile was basically Roth hiring the fastest gun slingers he could find and being Diamond Dave of steroids in an attempt to outdo anything Van Halen was doing. It's quite funny. Dave is so over the top and the whole band is wanking hard. Eat Em and Smile is one big wank fest.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Well what can you say. Sammy was all about reams, creams, dreams and screams.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Me too. If Hagar the Horrible is telling the truth in his latest interview rant, they are currently going through the archives... It would be fascinating if EAT THY NEIGHBOR got released...

We can all hope and dream.
        IDK but it was said at the time that Ed and Al destroyed anything with Dave on it that was recorded for the early work on 5150 after he left. At the same time they say a lot of things but Ed was nothing if not a hoarder with "ten albums (of noodling) in the can" so I believe they still exist in some form, but would need to be engineered for any release. There was some dispute as to whether Eat Thy Neighbor became Summer Nights or if it a different unreleased song. But the consensus seems to be that it is pretty close to SN. I don't hate Summer Nights, the lyrics are a bit douchy (a 30-something Hagar seemingly writing about being a high schooler in the first person) but it is one of the prime examples of how great of a rhythm guitarist Ed was and his fluid transition between rhythm and lead parts. Of course this is prominent all through the sixpack and shows his influences from Pete Townsand and Hendrix. While not ground breaking in 1978, it was distinctive as the major rock acts of the day typically had a two guitar player set up i.e.: Judas Priest, Aerosmith, The Stones, and Def Leppard (a bit later). By the early 80's acts like Motley Crüe and Poison were featuring one guitar player...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Possibly the worst album cover in history...

The elite Special Education Forces landing their paradouchbag commando. He forgot to wear his hockey helmet though...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            I get it but Diver Down is just a great EP not an album - 4 songs 14 minutes of music. A couple of the covers are good but a couple of them basically aren't.
            I also love Diver Down, not because it's great but sheer nostalgia. It's a fun album to put on in late spring and early summer and just blast through your car speakers or while grilling. To be fair, this was not an album VH expected to make and they were supposed to be on a long hiatus but were pushed back into the studio by WB pricks after (oh) Pretty Woman charted in a shortsighted cash grab that might have more or less led to the 1985 debacle...

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              The Fuck Van Halen setlist. Jesus Christ no wonder I ignored that band shortly after the release of 5150... "The Dream Is Over"? yeah you got that right...

"Poundcake"
              "Judgement Day"
              "Runaround"
              "When It's Love"
              "There's Only One Way To Rock"
              Bass Solo
              "Pleasure Dome"
              Drum Solo
              "Panama"
              "Right Now"
              "Why Can't This Be Love"
              "Finish What Ya Started"
              "Give To Live"
              Guitar Solo
              "You Really Got Me"
              "I Can't Drive 55"
              "Best Of Both Worlds"
              "Top Of The World"
              "Jump"
              "The Dream Is Over"
              That set list is so shitty. Clearly the Van Halens at this point were just going through the motions with Hag.
              Leffler made them money so they kept going until they had enough of Hag.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Eat Em and Smile was basically Roth hiring the fastest gun slingers he could find and being Diamond Dave of steroids in an attempt to outdo anything Van Halen was doing. It's quite funny. Dave is so over the top and the whole band is wanking hard. Eat Em and Smile is one big wank fest.
                True but damn Dave was really singing his heart out on that tour. One of the best shows ever.

He was truly making a statement during that era. Not just on the record but the show itself.
                =V V=
                ole No.1 The finest
                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I also love Diver Down, not because it's great but sheer nostalgia. It's a fun album to put on in late spring and early summer and just blast through your car speakers or while grilling. To be fair, this was not an album VH expected to make and they were supposed to be on a long hiatus but were pushed back into the studio by WB pricks after (oh) Pretty Woman charted in a shortsighted cash grab that might have more or less led to the 1985 debacle...
                  Interesting point.

Its quite possible if VH did end up taking the hiatus in '82 perhaps they don't breakup in '85.

They desperately needed a break.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

The Van Hagar albums would have been much different and much better with Dave singing the songs. Melody wise and otherwise. I think all of us can agree on that.

The EEAS stuff would have been much different and much better with Ed, Al and Mike playing the music. I'd think most of us agree with that.

EEAS was like the sports team filled with superstars. No cohesiveness. No chemistry. All about individuals, even though it's supposed to be a team. A team with chemistry, cohesiveness and competitive heart will beat a team of superstars nearly every time. Like someone else said, EEAS was a wankfest. There are some great moments, but not enough team play to not only make nearly everything great, but to sustain greatness. CVH proved this with their longevity and timelessness. They also proved it with many years passing, by reuniting and proving the magic was still there. Not only once, but twice. 1996 and 2012. I love ADKOT, but I have zero doubt in my mind, it would be better if Mike had participated. He was 1/4 of the magic.

I love Diver Down. I do hate Dancing In The Streets though. Every fucking version out there, not just VH's. But hey, I hate Jump too. Not just because it has been over played. I remember exactly where I was the first time I ever heard it played on the radio, and I was sorely disappointed. Everybody I knew busted my balls about that shit song. Fortunately they had nothing to say when the entire album came out, as it was killer. There simply aren't very many songs in the entire CVH catalogue that I skip over, but Dancing In The Streets and Jump are two that I absolutely cannot get to the skip button fast enough.

Comment

• MasonL
                      Groupie
                      • May 2022

I agree it's got too many covers...but I love WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE? and I've always had a soft spot for BIG BAD BILL (my wife loves that one too).

That said, DIVER DOWN has the only classic Van Halen song I truly dislike: I hate DANCIN' IN THE STREET. I've always hated that song. I hate every fucking version of that song. I hate Mick Jagger & David Bowie's version. I like the Dead and I hate their version.

Don't get me wrong: EEAS is great. But I will say, I don't think it's quite as strong as DLR BAND. That was the lost VH album, to me. Check out LITTLE TEXAS...just a stunning song.
                      Little Texas, WaWaZat, Going Places, King of the Hill, Slam Dunk, Blacklight: all great songs in my book. There's a couple tracks on that one where Dave is too heavily leaning into the "classic VH" vibe that it comes off kinda hammy, but alas that's still a criminally underrated record. And blows anything Van Hagar did outta the water.

Comment

• MasonL
                        Groupie
                        • May 2022

Dancing In The Streets may be the only Classic VH song I skip, and even then I enjoy it a lot in the summer. I still really like Jump and not ashamed to say so. It's their song that literally everybody knows-40 years from now that song will come on and everybody will know every syllable.

It's pretty incredible that among the original six pack, there's hardly a single song that you skip. That's extremely rare. Shows how untouchable the band was in those years.

Comment

• MasonL
                          Groupie
                          • May 2022

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                          True but damn Dave was really singing his heart out on that tour. One of the best shows ever.

He was truly making a statement during that era. Not just on the record but the show itself.
                          If Dave and VH had pulled themselves together for one more album, I think that energy could have been channeled into one of their best records. Like the tension that exploded onto Fair Warning. EEAS has some of Dave's most inspired lyrical writing (Ladies Nite and Big Trouble) and his voice was top of his game.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by MasonL
                            If Dave and VH had pulled themselves together for one more album, I think that energy could have been channeled into one of their best records. Like the tension that exploded onto Fair Warning. EEAS has some of Dave's most inspired lyrical writing (Ladies Nite and Big Trouble) and his voice was top of his game.
                            I said it before in another thread.

The true follow up to 1984 with a rested, coming from a hiatus CVH, lets say by 1988 would've become the band's Led Zeppelin IV and would've transported them to the stratosphere.

I'm talking potential sales of 15 million at least.

Alas it was not to be.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Heater
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                              I said it before in another thread.

The true follow up to 1984 with a rested, coming from a hiatus CVH, lets say by 1988 would've become the band's Led Zeppelin IV and would've transported them to the stratosphere.

I'm talking potential sales of 15 million at least.

Alas it was not to be.
                              Only 15 million? I say 6 bajillion…..occupying every spot in the top 10 at the same time. I mean, look what they did when they finally reunited,ADKOT…..dwarfed Rumours, annihilated Thriller, buried The Eagles Greatest Hits……..

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Heater
                                Only 15 million? I say 6 bajillion…..occupying every spot in the top 10 at the same time. I mean, look what they did when they finally reunited,ADKOT…..dwarfed Rumours, annihilated Thriller, buried The Eagles Greatest Hits……..
                                Well I was trying to be conservative with the number. Lol

15M + no doubt
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...