ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Estranged from GNR

From the other thread on the ZZ Top videos I just stumbled on the $4 million video for Estranged by GNR and saw it (I think) for the first time 30 years after the event.

What an absolute crock of putrid shit.

I obviously know the song, never disliked it but to me it was all just part of the flab on the 2 double albums that should have been 1 amazing album or 1 really good double album.

The video though what the fuck were they thinking? I hope some of those millions were fake accountancy and at least went up someones nose.

Longtime Axl Rose friend and former MTV VJ, Riki Rachtman, told Behind The Music, “For me, the biggest change in Guns N’ Roses was the video when Axl decided he needed an aircraft carrier, and he was gonna jump [off] and swim with dolphins. That was the moment when I said, you know what? That’s not so street.

The only thing I can compare it to is when KLF set fire to a million in cash in a fire but it's not even a fair comparison because although that was almost certainly crazy bullshit on some level it is maybe art in a way that we (and they) can't quite express. Paying millions for Slash to float up Sunset or Axl to pretend to talk to dolphins just isn't.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

OK...this never got a reply (should probably be in the House of Music).

ESTRANGED was the third part of some pretentious trilogy that kind of justified Nirvana making fun of G N' R so much in the early 90s. All three of those videos are really stupid.

But the songs are admittedly quite good.

ESTRANGED was the song I liked the least from the trilogy when the albums came out. NOW, in retrospect, I think it's the best song of the trilogy (DON'T CRY, NOVEMBER RAIN, ESTRANGED)...and I think I like DON'T CRY the least.

My wife & I saw G N' R in early 2012 (BEFORE they did the reunion with Slash & Duff). My wife was maybe 6-7 months pregnant with our first child (our son) and I was nervous to take her...but we decided to go. And, knowing Axl's habit of always coming out late, I had my wife take a nap from 5pm to 9 pm and we got to the show around 10:15pm at the United Center. G N' R didn't come on until around 10:40pm and played 'til 2:15am. It turned out to be a killer show (better than both times I saw the band in the early 90s). And I was happy as hell when they played ESTRANGED. Turned out to maybe be the highlight of the concert.

But the video for ESTRANGED...yeah, anyone who likes to claim that Axl never got huge into coke or something...yeah, right.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thread Information