ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Brian May Preps Expanded "Star Fleet" Box

Brian May says he’s working on an extended version of his 1983 collaboration with Eddie Van Halen. The Star Fleet Project box set would include “every take of every song” along with conversations, outtakes and musical experimentation recorded during the sessions.

The Queen guitarist has said it was a “moment of great joy” to gather in the studio with Van Halen, REO Speedwagon drummer Alan Gratzer and the late Rod Stewart bassist Phil Chen, saying they all “smiled and smiled” as they worked.

The expanded Star Fleet box set will be “No. 3 in the Brian May Gold Series, and probably to be released halfway into next year,” May tells Variety in a new interview, “and I’m very excited about it as I’ve opened up these tapes where I’m jamming with Eddie Van Halen and Phil Chen. It is highly emotional, again, as Ed’s not around. Neither is Phil.”

May confirms he was “never fond” of the mix on the “Star Fleet” single, so he took the opportunity to have it cleaned up. “Now, EVH’s sound is larger than life,” he enthused. “You’ll hear the development of Eddie’s solo, which I always thought was one of the greatest things he did – a real immortal classic of Ed Van Halen pieces. And we are going to give you everything, every take of every song – the things gone wrong, the laughing, the finding new things to do.”

He says he marveled at Van Halen's artistry while reviewing the old sessions, and also admits that he regrets they didn't do more together. “I’ve been talking to Alex [Van Halen] and started thinking about how I wish I had stayed closer to Ed,” May says. “I have a huge regret about that. He was a wonderful soul – a Peter Pan who never grew up, never wanted to grow up and never should have grown up. He should still be with us.

“Listening to him and me, I felt completely outclassed by him in the studio,” May added, “but in a very pleasant way. What joy for me to be around a guy who could do all that. Such a privilege.”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bria...lQQWy19r_L2vPk

I never knew there was a video

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Well.... somebody had to be the first to open the vaults on Eddie material. Who knew it would be Brian May? Had never even occurred to me that there would be enough material from the Starfleet sessions to warrant a "box set" since the original record was barely an EP.

Hoping it's worth the wait. You would think that two guitarists of that caliber would come up with something interesting even if they're just fucking around in the studio.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Fuck yeah! I love the original!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe this will inspire Alex to see what else is in the vaults. I don't have the passion to argue Dave/Sam/Ed to the same degree I had a couple decades back. But I'm still excited as a pig in shit to hear some vault material from the band. My wife, daughter & I listened to Gene Simmons' ZERO demos on a long drive last week and I just felt that same excitement...

5. 2 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (07-14-2023),Von Halen (11-20-2022)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like the Brian May Gold Series is sold on Queen's website. A deluxe two-disc version of one of May's solo albums is $15.99

I'd be okay with similar packaging and pricing.

I doubt this will move enough to make Al and WVH consider putting something out.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't see WVH doing a damn thing other than his own thing for some time.

Who knows what motivates Alex..? It would be nice if other notable rock artists who were peers within the era could convince Alex to produce something from the vaults to show case his legendary brother... if not for the love of his brother but also do it while Alex is still able and can guide the process vs someone else without the appreciation of what they produced together. It's Alex's legacy too...

8. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (11-21-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Who knows what motivates Alex..? It would be nice if other notable rock artists who were peers within the era could convince Alex to produce something from the vaults to show case his legendary brother... if not for the love of his brother but also do it while Alex is still able and can guide the process vs someone else without the appreciation of what they produced together. It's Alex's legacy too...
    For whatever reason Alex doesn't seem motivated to do what all the other old rock acts have been doing - releasing archival unreleased songs, live recordings etc.

KISS just released a 40th anniversary box set for Creatures of the Night with loads of unreleased content - many that have never seen an official release along with live shows from that era. This all for an album that tanked back in '82. But its a great package for fans.

That sort of thing should have been done for any of the six pack but no VH fans can't have nice things.

10. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (11-21-2022)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

Wolfgang is gonna have to get more involved and push things. I think Ed was a perfectionist that didn't want anything live released unless it could be perfectly remastered in Blu-ray I'm guessing, and I don't think they wanted to look that far back as well. I think Wolf might be a bit more pragmatic and get someone that could clean up old ProShot film footage and hopefully he goes through the vaults. Jimmy Page released the How the West was Won double live CD after finding live SB audio he forgot they had while searching for video archives. I hoping something similar happens but not hold any breath...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Al is content cashing his royalty checks. He won't have to work again unless he gets another divorce.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I imagine I will be 60+ years old before there are any releases from the Vault. Now imagine being 60+ (some here approaching 70 I'm sure) and blasting some unreleased old classic Van Halen. It doesn't excite me today because I expect to be 60+ and that's a long time from today.

I remember listening to this Star Fleet once or twice in the mid 80s. It was nothing memorable to me; it was pointless. BUT I am a sucker for these kinds of expanded releases.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    (some here approaching 70 I'm sure)
    Just say Zah. We all know it's Zah.

15. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (11-26-2022),ZahZoo (11-26-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah I used to think maybe I'll get to enjoy some of the vault stuff in my 60's... aw shit, that milestone is long gone. I still got 5+ years until 70... maybe those lazy bastards will put something out for me to enjoy in retirement...

Reminder... I'm still on track to out-live all you jackasses!

17. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Mushroom (06-02-2023)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    I imagine I will be 60+ years old before there are any releases from the Vault. Now imagine being 60+ (some here approaching 70 I'm sure) and blasting some unreleased old classic Van Halen. It doesn't excite me today because I expect to be 60+ and that's a long time from today.

I remember listening to this Star Fleet once or twice in the mid 80s. It was nothing memorable to me; it was pointless. BUT I am a sucker for these kinds of expanded releases.
    I re-listened to it via youtube after it was brought up in this thread...hadn't heard it (or even thought about it) since the mid-1980s.

Struck me now basically as it had way back then, which was a bit of fun jamming but nothing essential to my ears. If May is going to do the deluxe treatment of it, God Bless for those who want to buy it.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Far as whatever is in "the Vault"...meh.

Since 1984, there were a couple of tracks for BOV1 and ADKOT. Have basically adjusted myself to the idea that what is out there already is all I'm gonna get, VH-wise.

Suppose I'll just consider the Zero Demos to be the unofficial vault studio release and the various CVH audio/video live boots to be the unofficial VH Live material and continue to make do with those (even CVH live audio boots with shitty audio quality are preferrable to Tokyo Dome).

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Brian May is modest and has obviously written some great songs over the years but he's the opposite of Eddie Van Halen in every way in that he never came across as a 'natural' guitarist who was comfortable improvising. Even when playing something of his own that he has played 1000 times live already he stares at the fret board of the guitar looking stressed like he is expecting to fuck it up or at least not bend a note right.

I get that and it makes him human - it's completely normal for a human playing to thousands of people to feel like that, it's fucking weird to have shit eating grin and do something 10 times harder to a huge audience without thinking.

Nuno Tenniscourt talks about being overwhelmed by playing guitar to Ed and this is May talking about Nuno so that is the kind of gap we are talking about...

Again I don't see it as a criticism in fact it's refreshing because so many guitarists are insecure dicks about admitting their limitations. Also to be fair and with all the love in the world I don't think Eddie Van Halen was ever likely to end up with a Phd in Astrophysics...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is now available for preorder.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Brian May is modest and has obviously written some great songs over the years but he's the opposite of Eddie Van Halen in every way in that he never came across as a 'natural' guitarist who was comfortable improvising. Even when playing something of his own that he has played 1000 times live already he stares at the fret board of the guitar looking stressed like he is expecting to fuck it up or at least not bend a note right.

I get that and it makes him human - it's completely normal for a human playing to thousands of people to feel like that, it's fucking weird to have shit eating grin and do something 10 times harder to a huge audience without thinking.

Nuno Tenniscourt talks about being overwhelmed by playing guitar to Ed and this is May talking about Nuno so that is the kind of gap we are talking about...

Again I don't see it as a criticism in fact it's refreshing because so many guitarists are insecure dicks about admitting their limitations. Also to be fair and with all the love in the world I don't think Eddie Van Halen was ever likely to end up with a Phd in Astrophysics...
    Dave Friedman was up at 5150 and he was talking to Ed about something and Ed during the conversation was playing some very complicated stuff on the guitar while talking to him and not even paying attention or looking. Dave said that blew him away. He's worked with great guitar players for years but he said Eddie was the most amazing.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Remixed single went up on Spotify 1st June.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I listened to the whole thing a couple of times today. Interesting there’s the beginning of a Van Hagar song on one of the takes. Very cool set overall. I ordered the limited edition set from the Queen site but it won’t be here for a few days. I’m figuring maybe I can sell all my VH stuff and retire one of these days. ��

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I still have my Star Fleet LP I bought in the 80’s. Never played it much.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ordered today. Thought about checking the local wrecka sto but I doubt they'd have it.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    For whatever reason Alex doesn't seem motivated to do what all the other old rock acts have been doing - releasing archival unreleased songs, live recordings etc.

KISS just released a 40th anniversary box set for Creatures of the Night with loads of unreleased content - many that have never seen an official release along with live shows from that era. This all for an album that tanked back in '82. But its a great package for fans.

That sort of thing should have been done for any of the six pack but no VH fans can't have nice things.
    It's more like Alex is gettign calls from Sam every second day begging him...I even heard Sammy said its happenning next year no matter who is going to agree etc.

LOL, it has to be led by Alex...I would lay low on principle, making sure I had everything figured out and maybe let Sam do one or two things...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Priced it here and it was about $12 for MP3s, $40 for CD and about $80 for vinyl.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    It's more like Alex is gettign calls from Sam every second day begging him...I even heard Sammy said its happenning next year no matter who is going to agree etc.

LOL, it has to be led by Alex...I would lay low on principle, making sure I had everything figured out and maybe let Sam do one or two things...
    So Alex gives Brian May his blessing and won't talk to Sam. Ha! Ha! Sam is the biggest attention whore who was ever in Van Halen. He doesn't want to do a tribute to Ed for Ed. It's all about drawing a big audience for Sam. Then he will go on every platform he can saying how great it was and Cabo this and Wabo that and Santo Maui blah blah blah.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sam is just a peddler and I hate to say it but a pretty good one. He makes people with low self-esteem feel good for a minute and manages to sell them all his shit.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sam is the guy who shows ugly women some love and then runs off with their money.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Listen to Star Fleet before buying. It's not that great.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    So Alex gives Brian May his blessing and won't talk to Sam. Ha! Ha! Sam is the biggest attention whore who was ever in Van Halen. He doesn't want to do a tribute to Ed for Ed. It's all about drawing a big audience for Sam. Then he will go on every platform he can saying how great it was and Cabo this and Wabo that and Santo Maui blah blah blah.
    Brian May didn't need Alex's blessings to "remaster" this album. It was a Brian May solo project from the beginning and he owns all rights to the material. Alex didn't have any more say in this one that if Michael Jackson's relatives had 8 different remixes of "Beat It" with 8 different Eddie solos and were planning to include them all on the 40th anniversary remaster of "Thriller" . (Not saying any such plans exist, but that would be a comparable situation)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Brian May didn't need Alex's blessings to "remaster" this album. It was a Brian May solo project from the beginning and he owns all rights to the material. Alex didn't have any more say in this one that if Michael Jackson's relatives had 8 different remixes of "Beat It" with 8 different Eddie solos and were planning to include them all on the 40th anniversary remaster of "Thriller" . (Not saying any such plans exist, but that would be a comparable situation)
    Brain had the courtesy to ask Alex if it was ok to re-release the Star Fleet project and Alex said go ahead. Alex has no legal standing but Brian May is a class act and asked because he knew Alex was having a tough go losing Ed and was very protective of his brother’s image. Also Brian and Alex are friends so he wasn’t cold calling.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Doing an Eddie Van Halen tribute this late would be stupid. The family aren’t interested and only a low life like Sammy would push having one.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Listen to Star Fleet before buying. It's not that great.
    Wrong again. I still have the original album I bought way back when, and I pretty much wore it out. I am very pleased with this new release, and am working on wearing it out too!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Brain had the courtesy to ask Alex if it was ok to re-release the Star Fleet project and Alex said go ahead. Alex has no legal standing but Brian May is a class act and asked because he knew Alex was having a tough go losing Ed and was very protective of his brother’s image. Also Brian and Alex are friends so he wasn’t cold calling.
    Agreed that May asked Alex out of a general sense of decency. It was courteous and also useful to know what Alex's feelings were beforehand vs. releasing it and finding out afterward that Alex would have preferred it not be re-released which - legal standings to one side - would have cast a pall over it. Not that I'd imagine Alex would have had many misgivings about it being re-released since it was already released once and was already available free online...it wasn't like some EVH-related recordings that had sat in the can for 40 years and someone had looted it from 5150.

May has always come off as a decent and courteous guy publicly.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Doing an Eddie Van Halen tribute this late would be stupid. The family aren’t interested and only a low life like Sammy would push having one.
    It's been...what...coming up on three years since Eddie passed?

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out. Maybe some people would have liked to have seen that. I personally wouldn't. Do a live dvd release - or video footage people can stream via purchase or rental - of whatever CVH material is kicking around be it in Dave's/Alex's/Mike's collections...material that either hasn't been seen before or stuff bootlegged for decades that is professionally restored. Pay tribute to Eddie that way rather than trying to pay tribute by having someone else play Ed's licks; the real deal as opposed to someone imitating.

But, yeah, the Van Halens and Dave (and this is an old story) can't seem to get anything together for whatever reasons. Far as a live tribute now, maybe that's for the best anyway.

Hagar would doubtless be up for whatever. But what would be worth hearing from Hagar, Mike and Alex and some other guitar player who isn't Eddie? Drag some Eddie noodlings out of the unreleased recordings at 5150 and have the others try and construct a 'new' song a la The Beatles with Free As A Bird and Real Love in the mid-1990s? I'm sure there are some diehard Eddie fans who would like that...can't say as I would. At least if Alex opts to do nothing Van Halen won't end up like Lynyrd Skynyrd and start picking at the corpse.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Wrong again. I still have the original album I bought way back when, and I pretty much wore it out. I am very pleased with this new release, and am working on wearing it out too!
    Eric Clapton thought it sucked. I listened to it and the album got tucked away in the bat cave never to be listened to again.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out. Maybe some people would have liked to have seen that. I personally wouldn't. Do a live dvd release - or video footage people can stream via purchase or rental - of whatever CVH material is kicking around be it in Dave's/Alex's/Mike's collections...material that either hasn't been seen before or stuff bootlegged for decades that is professionally restored. Pay tribute to Eddie that way rather than trying to pay tribute by having someone else play Ed's licks; the real deal as opposed to someone imitating.

But, yeah, the Van Halens and Dave (and this is an old story) can't seem to get anything together for whatever reasons. Far as a live tribute now, maybe that's for the best anyway.

Hagar would doubtless be up for whatever. But what would be worth hearing from Hagar, Mike and Alex and some other guitar player who isn't Eddie? Drag some Eddie noodlings out of the unreleased recordings at 5150 and have the others try and construct a 'new' song a la The Beatles with Free As A Bird and Real Love in the mid-1990s? I'm sure there are some diehard Eddie fans who would like that...can't say as I would. At least if Alex opts to do nothing Van Halen won't end up like Lynyrd Skynyrd and start picking at the corpse.
    Ed gets the last laugh. He’s finally where the mother fuckers can’t get at him. Enjoy the peace and solitude Eddie!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

A live tribute now does seem a bit late. I guess there was some interest from Alex and Dave with that whole Satriani and Newstead thing but that ultimately fizzled out.
    I think Roth wouldn't get involved if Hagar is which is one issue. I back him 100% on that. It does seem like Mike Anthony isn't a problem for AVH now if he ever was and we know despite some of the asshole swipes over the years 'perfect' MA has made at Roth, Dave either doesn't care or doesn't know about them and has no issue. So that just leaves Dave and/or Alex don't want to do it and I'm fine with that.

The last Van Halen show was the one at the Hollywood Bowl and it was a good one from everyone and it's available to watch on YouTube. I'm not sure how 8(fuck already!?) years on not having Ed but having Anthony and Satriani or whoever on guitar is going to be a more fitting legacy. Missing MA is a niggle but when this website was set up it back in the day it would have been a pipe dream that in 2015 the most important 3/4s of Van Halen would be playing that setilst and for all Wolfgangs faults I seriously doubt without him they would have been opening with LUTS a fan favorite I know Ray Luzier et al tried to get Dave to resurrect 20 years ago.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-17-2023 at 10:34 AM.

45. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-17-2023)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Eric Clapton thought it sucked. I listened to it and the album got tucked away in the bat cave never to be listened to again.
    Eric Clapton thought his unplugged version of "Layla" was better than the original, so his judgment isn't always the best. Not to mention his ridiculous take on vaccines.

Thread Information