• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Brian May Preps Expanded "Star Fleet" Box

Brian May says he’s working on an extended version of his 1983 collaboration with Eddie Van Halen. The Star Fleet Project box set would include “every take of every song” along with conversations, outtakes and musical experimentation recorded during the sessions.

The Queen guitarist has said it was a “moment of great joy” to gather in the studio with Van Halen, REO Speedwagon drummer Alan Gratzer and the late Rod Stewart bassist Phil Chen, saying they all “smiled and smiled” as they worked.

The expanded Star Fleet box set will be “No. 3 in the Brian May Gold Series, and probably to be released halfway into next year,” May tells Variety in a new interview, “and I’m very excited about it as I’ve opened up these tapes where I’m jamming with Eddie Van Halen and Phil Chen. It is highly emotional, again, as Ed’s not around. Neither is Phil.”

May confirms he was “never fond” of the mix on the “Star Fleet” single, so he took the opportunity to have it cleaned up. “Now, EVH’s sound is larger than life,” he enthused. “You’ll hear the development of Eddie’s solo, which I always thought was one of the greatest things he did – a real immortal classic of Ed Van Halen pieces. And we are going to give you everything, every take of every song – the things gone wrong, the laughing, the finding new things to do.”

He says he marveled at Van Halen's artistry while reviewing the old sessions, and also admits that he regrets they didn't do more together. “I’ve been talking to Alex [Van Halen] and started thinking about how I wish I had stayed closer to Ed,” May says. “I have a huge regret about that. He was a wonderful soul – a Peter Pan who never grew up, never wanted to grow up and never should have grown up. He should still be with us.

“Listening to him and me, I felt completely outclassed by him in the studio,” May added, “but in a very pleasant way. What joy for me to be around a guy who could do all that. Such a privilege.”

I never knew there was a video

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well.... somebody had to be the first to open the vaults on Eddie material. Who knew it would be Brian May? Had never even occurred to me that there would be enough material from the Starfleet sessions to warrant a "box set" since the original record was barely an EP.

Hoping it's worth the wait. You would think that two guitarists of that caliber would come up with something interesting even if they're just fucking around in the studio.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Fuck yeah! I love the original!

Comment

• Rikk
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Maybe this will inspire Alex to see what else is in the vaults. I don't have the passion to argue Dave/Sam/Ed to the same degree I had a couple decades back. But I'm still excited as a pig in shit to hear some vault material from the band. My wife, daughter & I listened to Gene Simmons' ZERO demos on a long drive last week and I just felt that same excitement...
        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Looks like the Brian May Gold Series is sold on Queen's website. A deluxe two-disc version of one of May's solo albums is $15.99

I'd be okay with similar packaging and pricing.

I doubt this will move enough to make Al and WVH consider putting something out.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I don't see WVH doing a damn thing other than his own thing for some time.

Who knows what motivates Alex..? It would be nice if other notable rock artists who were peers within the era could convince Alex to produce something from the vaults to show case his legendary brother... if not for the love of his brother but also do it while Alex is still able and can guide the process vs someone else without the appreciation of what they produced together. It's Alex's legacy too...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Who knows what motivates Alex..? It would be nice if other notable rock artists who were peers within the era could convince Alex to produce something from the vaults to show case his legendary brother... if not for the love of his brother but also do it while Alex is still able and can guide the process vs someone else without the appreciation of what they produced together. It's Alex's legacy too...
              For whatever reason Alex doesn't seem motivated to do what all the other old rock acts have been doing - releasing archival unreleased songs, live recordings etc.

KISS just released a 40th anniversary box set for Creatures of the Night with loads of unreleased content - many that have never seen an official release along with live shows from that era. This all for an album that tanked back in '82. But its a great package for fans.

That sort of thing should have been done for any of the six pack but no VH fans can't have nice things.
              =V V=
              ole No.1 The finest
              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo

Wolfgang is gonna have to get more involved and push things. I think Ed was a perfectionist that didn't want anything live released unless it could be perfectly remastered in Blu-ray I'm guessing, and I don't think they wanted to look that far back as well. I think Wolf might be a bit more pragmatic and get someone that could clean up old ProShot film footage and hopefully he goes through the vaults. Jimmy Page released the How the West was Won double live CD after finding live SB audio he forgot they had while searching for video archives. I hoping something similar happens but not hold any breath...

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Al is content cashing his royalty checks. He won't have to work again unless he gets another divorce.

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

I imagine I will be 60+ years old before there are any releases from the Vault. Now imagine being 60+ (some here approaching 70 I'm sure) and blasting some unreleased old classic Van Halen. It doesn't excite me today because I expect to be 60+ and that's a long time from today.

I remember listening to this Star Fleet once or twice in the mid 80s. It was nothing memorable to me; it was pointless. BUT I am a sucker for these kinds of expanded releases.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                      (some here approaching 70 I'm sure)
                      Just say Zah. We all know it's Zah.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Yeah I used to think maybe I'll get to enjoy some of the vault stuff in my 60's... aw shit, that milestone is long gone. I still got 5+ years until 70... maybe those lazy bastards will put something out for me to enjoy in retirement...

Reminder... I'm still on track to out-live all you jackasses!
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
                          I imagine I will be 60+ years old before there are any releases from the Vault. Now imagine being 60+ (some here approaching 70 I'm sure) and blasting some unreleased old classic Van Halen. It doesn't excite me today because I expect to be 60+ and that's a long time from today.

I remember listening to this Star Fleet once or twice in the mid 80s. It was nothing memorable to me; it was pointless. BUT I am a sucker for these kinds of expanded releases.
                          I re-listened to it via youtube after it was brought up in this thread...hadn't heard it (or even thought about it) since the mid-1980s.

Struck me now basically as it had way back then, which was a bit of fun jamming but nothing essential to my ears. If May is going to do the deluxe treatment of it, God Bless for those who want to buy it.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Far as whatever is in "the Vault"...meh.

Since 1984, there were a couple of tracks for BOV1 and ADKOT. Have basically adjusted myself to the idea that what is out there already is all I'm gonna get, VH-wise.

Suppose I'll just consider the Zero Demos to be the unofficial vault studio release and the various CVH audio/video live boots to be the unofficial VH Live material and continue to make do with those (even CVH live audio boots with shitty audio quality are preferrable to Tokyo Dome).
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Brian May is modest and has obviously written some great songs over the years but he's the opposite of Eddie Van Halen in every way in that he never came across as a 'natural' guitarist who was comfortable improvising. Even when playing something of his own that he has played 1000 times live already he stares at the fret board of the guitar looking stressed like he is expecting to fuck it up or at least not bend a note right.

I get that and it makes him human - it's completely normal for a human playing to thousands of people to feel like that, it's fucking weird to have shit eating grin and do something 10 times harder to a huge audience without thinking.

Nuno Tenniscourt talks about being overwhelmed by playing guitar to Ed and this is May talking about Nuno so that is the kind of gap we are talking about...

Again I don't see it as a criticism in fact it's refreshing because so many guitarists are insecure dicks about admitting their limitations. Also to be fair and with all the love in the world I don't think Eddie Van Halen was ever likely to end up with a Phd in Astrophysics...

Comment

Working...