Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian May Preps Expanded "Star Fleet" Box

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only thing Clapton has been involved with I liked was the outro to Layla in Goodfellas.

Pretty sure he had very little to do with that anyway. People I like say he is/was good but I never got it and he has said and done some real asshole things over the years.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Eric Clapton thought his unplugged version of "Layla" was better than the original, so his judgment isn't always the best. Not to mention his ridiculous take on vaccines.
    It as an impromptu jam session. There’s nothing that good on it. I see it the same way Eric did. I frankly don’t know what the big deal about it is. If Eddie wasn’t on it nobody would give a damn.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The only thing Clapton has been involved with I liked was the outro to Layla in Goodfellas.

Pretty sure he had very little to do with that anyway. People I like say he is/was good but I never got it and he has said and done some real asshole things over the years.
    He was God decades ago but I think people just don’t like him because they didn’t like what he said about some things. All a sudden he is not qualified to judge some music. Anyways if you want to make Brian May laugh to the bank be my guest.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It as an impromptu jam session.
    A great impromptu jam session.

There’s nothing that good on it.
    It was good enough to get released in the first place, and good enough to get a re-release.

I see it the same way Eric did.
    Two opinions that matter.

If Eddie wasn’t on it nobody would give a damn.
    But Ed is on it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's the difference between a bag of cocaine and a 4 year old?

Clapton wouldn't let a bag of cocaine fall out a window.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think Roth wouldn't get involved if Hagar is which is one issue. I back him 100% on that. It does seem like Mike Anthony isn't a problem for AVH now if he ever was and we know despite some of the asshole swipes over the years 'prefect' MA has made at Roth, Dave either doesn't care or doesn't know about them and has no issue. So that just leaves Dave and/or Alex don't want to do it and I'm fine with that.

The last Van Halen show was the one at the Hollywood Bowl and it was a good one from everyone and it's available to watch on YouTube. I'm not sure how 8(fuck already!?) years on not having Ed but having Anthony and Satriani or whoever on guitar is going to be a more fitting legacy. Missing MA is a niggle but when this website was set up it back in the day it would have been a pipe dream that in 2015 the most important 3/4s of Van Halen would be playing that setilst and for all Wolfgangs faults I seriously doubt without him they would have been opening with LUTS a fan favorite I know Ray Luzier et al tried to get Dave to resurrect 20 years ago.

I'd agree that whatever reason the Satriani/Newsted thing fizzled out - probably as you say that Dave and Al in the end didn't want to do it - it was probably for the best.

After the 1996 biz dissipated, I'd also agree that in the decade following it seemed like more and more of a longshot anything would happen with Dave again. Certainly never expected the band to essay as many deep cuts with Roth on the reunion tours as they did and Wolfgang was a big part of what made those last three tours with Dave happen. Yeah, it would have been my preference that the CVH lineup had been doing those tours but overall considering everything that had transpired between 1984 and 2007 it was more amazing the band reunited at all. It took a bit of time but Ed got his mojo back and the last two tours with Roth saw Ed playing the CVH stuff about as well as he ever did; considering the dreadful shape Ed was in in the early 2000's, it was cool to see him pull himself together and give us all a final glimmer as to what made him such a fantastic guitarist. Saddening to see him pass but he ended his performing career on a strong note.

We got what we got. I mean, bottom line is no Ed, no Van Halen thus a tribute tour with someone other than Ed playing...that's not Van Halen.

I can't blame Dave for not wanting to take the stage with Hagar or doing a co-headlining Van Halen tour with Hagar. Dave clearly considers the only lineup of Van Halen worth participating in being one where he and the Van Halens constitute the band...if Michael Anthony were to have been part of it, all the better but Sam Hagar had nothing to do with building the band name up or creating the CVH music thus why should Roth co-headline a Van Halen tour or a tribute tour with Hagar? With the 2002 Sam and Dave tour, Roth went out and did his CVH set and left Hagar to do whatever he wanted. Dave clearly had no interest back then in jamming onstage with Hagar even if Michael Anthony was there (and I doubt Roth would have opted in for that proposed 2018/2019 kitchen sink both lead singers Van Halen tour) thus one would imagine Roth would have even less interest in co-headlining a tribute tour with Hagar after Eddie passed away.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Hagar is slowly dying because it wasn't special apart from possibly some guitar solos. Sharing a stage at a Van Halen tribute raises the Hagar years up which is why Hagar is so desperate to do it. He wants to reposition himself again back where he was at his peak - riding on the original Roth era coat tails.

Also how many more seat sales does Hagar add? Van Hagar fans who don't like the original years aren't music fans they were the kind of people who listened to the Best of Fleetwood Mac or those Rock Compliation CDs you used to get. That soccer mom audience was never hardcore and are now more likely to go see Taylor Swift with their daughter.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This Brian May thread has become a bit derailed...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, a bit, but that's okay...it always comes back to Roth vs. Hagar.

Thread Information