Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Unhappy Christine McVie: Singer Writer Keyboardist Dead at 79

Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies aged 79

By Robert Greenall & George Bowden
    BBC News LINK

Christine McVie, who played with Fleetwood Mac and wrote some of their most famous songs, has died aged 79, her family has said.

The British singer-songwriter was behind hits including Little Lies, Everywhere, Don't Stop, Say You Love Me, and Songbird.

She died peacefully at a hospital in the company of her family, a statement said.

McVie left Fleetwood Mac after 28 years in 1998 but returned in 2014.

The family's statement said "we would like everyone to keep Christine in their hearts and remember the life of an incredible human being, and revered musician who was loved universally".

Born Christine Perfect, McVie married Fleetwood Mac bassist John McVie, and joined the group in 1971.

Fleetwood Mac was one of the world's best known rock bands in the 1970s and '80s.

Their 1977 album Rumours - inspired by the break-ups of the McVies and the band's other couple, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks - became one of the biggest selling of all time, with more than 40 million copies sold worldwide.

McVie was one of eight members of the band inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

In the same year after the success of their live album The Dance, she retired to Kent, saying a fear of flying meant she was leaving the band.

But she rediscovered her love of performing at a one-off appearance with the band at London's O2 in 2013 and returned to them a year later.

"It was amazing, like I'd never left. I climbed back on there again and there they were, the same old faces on stage," she told the Guardian newspaper at the time.

In 2017 she told BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs programme that she had developed agoraphobia after leaving the band.

A statement by the band said of McVie: "We were so lucky to have a life with her.

"Individually and together, we cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the amazing memories we have. She will be so very missed."

In a post on Instagram, Stevie Nicks wrote: "A few hours ago I was told that my best friend in the whole world since the first day of 1975, had passed away.

"I didn't even know she was ill... until late Saturday night. I wanted to be in London, I wanted to get to London - but we were told to wait.

"So, since Saturday, one song has been swirling around my head, over and over and over. I thought I might possibly get to sing it to her, and so, I'm singing it to her now.

"I always knew I would need these words one day... It's all I can do now."

A gift for timeless pop songs
    By Ian Youngs, BBC entertainment reporter

Christine McVie was an essential member of the complicated cast of characters that made up one of the greatest bands ever.

She was deeply soulful as a singer. She could be both heartbreakingly delicate and a powerhouse as a keyboard player. But above all, she had the gift of writing beautiful, timeless pop songs.

Her melodic gift for a good chorus was among the best. She described herself as "the hook queen".

"I don't know how to write any other way," she said in a BBC documentary. "It just happens that way."

Her songs appear simple in their composition and sentiments - disarmingly direct and always sincere. Few people could have written and sung lyrics so seemingly soppy as "I love you, I love you, I love you like never before", as she did on the classic Songbird, and sounded like they meant them so deeply.

The same goes for "I want to be with you everywhere" on Everywhere. Or "Sweet wonderful you/You make me happy with the things you do" on You Make Loving Fun.

But her songs were never so straightforward that they were cliched. "That's the trick about writing a love song," she said. "You can't just go: 'I love you, you love me, where are you, I miss you.' There always has to be a bit of a twist."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Too bad it wasn’t the other fucker from that shit band. The one that recently said EVH sucked.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-01-2022)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Somewhere I saw her described as the "George Harrison of Fleetwood Mac". It's not the analogy I would have gone with, but in a way it makes sense, in that she was the third singer/songwriter who didn't get as much attention as Lindsey or Stevie but contributed songs that were just as big of a part of Fleetwood Mac's legacy as theirs were. Had no idea she was ill.... or even that she was 79! Anyway.... rest in peace, Christine.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Too bad it wasn’t the other fucker from that shit band. The one that recently said EVH sucked.
    Was that Lindsay what’s his name? Probably jealous.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Was that Lindsay what’s his name? Probably jealous.
    It might be Buckingham but I don't he think he said Eddie sucked. I think he was saying the band overall had great individual skill but couldn't put out a complete "album". Lindsey Buckingham is a very good guitarist, but he is lost in quaffing his own shit smell, listen to Tusk for that. It might be that Van Halen came in in 1978 and sold a shitload after Rumors, which has also sold a motherload of shit and is a great album anyway you slice it. But if you don't think Van Halen is great fucking album, I'll fucking fight you right now!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More than anything else, Buckingham’s playing style is so unique that it’s almost impossible to replicate. Employing folk chord shapes, banjo-style fingerpicking, and stinging electric lines, Buckingham also wasn’t afraid to hang back at let his playing compliment a particular song. Flash was never at the forefront of Buckingham’s mind, something that made him an anomaly in the frenetic hard rock scene of the 1980s.

When sitting down with Guitar World Acoustic back in 2012, Buckingham had some opinions on those kinds of flashy guitar players, specifically calling out one of the most beloved six-string strummers of all time. “I’ve always believed that you play to highlight the song, not to highlight the player. The song is all that matter,” Buckingham stated. “There are two ways you can choose to go. You can try to be someone like Eddie Van Halen, who is a great guitarist, a virtuoso. Yet he doesn’t make good records because what he plays is totally lost in the context of this band’s music.”

Buckingham uses a country great as a counterpoint. “Then there are guitar players like Chet Atkins, who weren’t out there trying to show themselves off as guitarists per se, but were using the guitar as a tool to make good records,” Buckingham said. “I remember loving Chet’s work when I was a kid, but it was only later, when I really listened to his guitar parts, that I realized how much they were a part of the song’s fabric, and how much you’d be going ‘Oh, that song just isn’t working,’ if they weren’t there.”

Buckingham also cited Atkins as an inspiration when it came to playing without a pick, a relative rarity in the world of rock and roll. “A lot of the session players, like Chet Atkins, they played with fingers or a pick,” Buckingham explained. “Then I listened to a certain amount of light classical guitar playing. And of course later on, when the first wave of rock ‘n’ roll kind of fell away, folk music was very popular and very influential in my style.”

They might not have been direct competitors since they worked at opposite ends of the rock music spectrum, but Van Halen and Fleetwood Mac did compete for the title of America’s Biggest Rock Band throughout the 1980s. Both were multi-platinum juggernauts with incomparable guitarists and a revolving door of singers. Buckingham’s comments aren’t really against Van Halen’s abilities, but rather Van Halen’s sound as a whole. It’s still a diss, but a relatively mild one at best.
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/lindsey...die-van-halen/

Well Lindsey Bu8ckingham didn't make good records without Fleetwood Mac....

Thread Information