Thread: JOE SATRIANI Says He 'Came Close' To Playing New York's 'Homecoming Concert' With ALE

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

JOE SATRIANI Says He 'Came Close' To Playing New York's 'Homecoming Concert' With ALE

https://blabbermouth.net/news/joe-sa...david-lee-roth

During an appearance on the "Out Of The Box" show, which airs on the Q104.3 radio station in New York City, Joe Satriani spoke about being approached to reproduce Eddie Van Halen's guitar parts as part of an all-star VAN HALEN tribute project with Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth. Recalling how the proposed pairing came about, Joe said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I get a call out of the blue from Alex Van Halen, who I'd never met until then, and he poses the unimaginable to me, which is to go out with a VAN HALEN tour, playing guitar. And as I've told other people, I heard my voice saying, 'Yeah, I'll do that,' before my brain really thought, 'Don't say 'yes.' That's an impossible thing to do; you can't replace Eddie Van Halen. Nobody can.' But I had such a good conversation with Alex, and just getting to know him on a few phone calls. And he brought Dave into the loop, who I'd met before but I can't really say I know the man… And we came close to doing that sort of coming out show that New York City was holding [in Central Park] last year," he said, apparently referring to "We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert', which was held in August 2021. "And that would have been frightening, 'cause it was only three weeks away. And I was still listening to the VAN HALEN stuff, but still working on [my latest solo] album. So it wasn't like we were prepared. There was no bass player. They hadn't really told me who was gonna play bass. And then there was the whole controversy about who should actually be in the band. And I was on the outside; I'm just some new guy. I was the one saying, 'Who's playing bass, by the way?' And, 'Is Sammy [Hagar, former VAN HALEN singer] gonna come by?' And, 'Did you talk to Mike [Anthony, former VAN HALEN bassist]?' So, conversations kept going on and on. I met with Alex at one point when I went down to L.A. But I think there's some internal stuff that needs to get worked out with the family, and then the VAN HALEN band family, which is kind of big. Again, I feel like I'm not close to the top of that queue. And many times I've told Alex, 'Are you sure? Me?' 'Cause I don't perform like Eddie. I'm just a superfan. And I can certainly play the stuff. But Eddie was such an original — just the way he ran around on stage and sang and played. It's amazing."

Satriani also once again said that Wolfgang Van Halen is a more natural choice to play Eddie Van Halen's parts than anyone else. He made his comments three months after Wolfgang performed his late father's songs at the Taylor Hawkins tribute concerts. The son of Eddie Van Halen played three VAN HALEN songs — "On Fire", "Hot For Teacher" and "Panama" — over the course of two concerts in September alongside Dave Grohl on bass, Josh Freese on drums and THE DARKNESS's Justin Hawkins on vocals.

"That was beautiful, wasn't it?" Joe said about Wolfgang's tribute to his father. "That's the first thing I thought after. I was, like every other VAN HALEN fan, so relieved to see a very beautiful expression of a son playing his father's stuff. And after all the weight that must be on Wolf's shoulders about this whole thing, and he's had to deal with Dave and everybody else commenting about this kind of stuff. And he just went and settled it right then and there. So I thought to myself, well, he should do it, and maybe just he and his uncle Al should just work this out. And it would be nice if somehow Dave and Sammy could sort of kiss and make up and figure out a way to do it right. I know Sammy quite well and we talk all the time, and he's always open to move forward and mend fences. So I'm hopeful that maybe he can have a hand in it."

This past October, Wolfgang told Classic Rock magazine that he was no longer actively interested in pursuing the idea of a standalone Eddie Van Halen tribute event. "I think I already did it with the Taylor Hawkins tributes," he explained. "I feel a lot of closure because my part of the show was a tribute to my father."

"When it comes to VAN HALEN and entities surrounding the band it's unfortunate, certainly compared to FOO FIGHTERS who have their shit together with interpersonal relationships," Wolfgang added.

"I don't know what it is with some bands but certain personalities just can't get over themselves to work collectively for one purpose. That's been the curse of VAN HALEN for its entire career. So my playing at the Taylor shows delivered that catharsis without the stresses of dealing with the VAN HALEN camp, and the players involved. Their camp is very dysfunctional — everyone! Hell, it was difficult to make plans even when the band was active."

Eddie died in October 2020 at the age of 65. The legendary VAN HALEN guitarist passed away at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, California.

Eddie was diagnosed with mouth cancer in 2000 and had tongue surgery. He later battled lung cancer and had been receiving radiation treatment in Germany. Things took a turn for the worse in early 2019 when Eddie got in a motorcycle accident. He was subsequently diagnosed with a brain tumor, and received gamma knife radiosurgery to treat the illness.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    I’m glad it fell through. I think Wolfgang playing some of his dad’s stuff was a tribute that can’t be topped. Of course it was a tribute concert for Taylor Hawkins but it was also a nice tribute to Eddie. How can you top that? Also Pasadena put up a tribute plaque to honor Eddie at the Pasadena Civic Center. A venue Van Halen played at in the early days. Of course the biggest tribute to anyone is what they left us. For Eddie it was great music and happy memories.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I’m glad it fell through. I think Wolfgang playing some of his dad’s stuff was a tribute that can’t be topped. Of course it was a tribute concert for Taylor Hawkins but it was also a nice tribute to Eddie. How can you top that? Also Pasadena put up a tribute plaque to honor Eddie at the Pasadena Civic Center. A venue Van Halen played at in the early days. Of course the biggest tribute to anyone is what they left us. For Eddie it was great music and happy memories.
    I wasn't one of those jizzing all over Fatty's performance of his Dad's songs. It was adequate for a fat fuck.

4. 2 users say thank you to Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-07-2022),Von Halen (12-06-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    I wasn't one of those jizzing all over Fatty's performance of his Dad's songs. It was adequate for a fat fuck.
    It was a cool experience for Ed's kid.

Didn't have much of a reaction to it myself.

As you say, adequate re: the playing.

6. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (12-08-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

This insufferable bastard keeps getting put on these tours because of his last name. Deep down in his giant gut, he knows this.

8. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Fatty played well but I can’t stand the fucker. I liked his dad. His dad would have loved it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think a statue of Eddie would be cool. The Stevie Ray Vaughan statue in Austin is very cool.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    This insufferable bastard keeps getting put on these tours because of his last name. Deep down in his giant gut, he knows this.
    Playing Wembley Stadium was his high water mark. He got that spot because two guys died. Taylor and his dad and it was Dave Grohl who talked him into playing some of his dad’s stuff.

The thing is he’s fat, he has zero charisma, he’s going into his 30’s and you are right. His last name is Van Halen and people are curious. Attentions are short and life goes on. He’s not that great of a songwriter and nothing that wows anyone is coming from him. Yeah he moved everyone with his song and video about his dad but that’s done and it’s been two years.

In short. Wolfgang VannHalen is not Eddie Van Halen. Not anywhere close.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-07-2022 at 03:16 AM.

12. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

"Sammy's always willing to mend fences and move on."

I don't hate Satriani but that could not be further from the truth. It's disgraceful how the Fat Ass Clown gets all this praise for being "cool" and "down to Earth" when he just abuses every public chance to elevate his name. He puts on this Jimmy Buffet type of persona but he's a cold, calculating greedy asshole who sees everything as a business transaction or publicity maneuver. He likely saw Ed's death itself as a chance to make himself appear "heartbroken" and "emotional." One of the fakest turds I've ever seen.

14. 4 users say thank you to MasonL for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-07-2022),Seshmeister (12-07-2022),Silexxx (12-08-2022),Vinnie Velvet (12-08-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Playing Wembley Stadium was his high water mark. He got that spot because two guys died. Taylor and his dad and it was Dave Grohl who talked him into playing some of his dad’s stuff.

The thing is he’s fat, he has zero charisma, he’s going into his 30’s and you are right. His last name is Van Halen and people are curious. Attentions are short and life goes on. He’s not that great of a songwriter and nothing that wows anyone is coming from him. Yeah he moved everyone with his song and video about his dad but that’s done and it’s been two years.

In short. Wolfgang VannHalen is not Eddie Van Halen. Not anywhere close.
    Yeah, nothing surprising about any of that, either.

I mean, he wasn't particularly talented when he was in the band.

His Mammoth album wasn't anything special to my ears. I wasn't moved by the tune that was released shortly after Eddie died because I assumed it had been written well before that.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonL View Post
    "Sammy's always willing to mend fences and move on."

I don't hate Satriani but that could not be further from the truth. It's disgraceful how the Fat Ass Clown gets all this praise for being "cool" and "down to Earth" when he just abuses every public chance to elevate his name. He puts on this Jimmy Buffet type of persona but he's a cold, calculating greedy asshole who sees everything as a business transaction or publicity maneuver. He likely saw Ed's death itself as a chance to make himself appear "heartbroken" and "emotional." One of the fakest turds I've ever seen.
    Everywhere you go you see Sammy masturbating. He needs to be locked up.

17. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Yeah, nothing surprising about any of that, either.

I mean, he wasn't particularly talented when he was in the band.

His Mammoth album wasn't anything special to my ears. I wasn't moved by the tune that was released shortly after Eddie died because I assumed it had been written well before that.
    Also the idiot used social media as his psychiatrist. He laid on the couch in front of everyone and let it rip. It was quite embarrassing. His mom looks like she’s losing her marbles. No wonder Eddie got better when he found another woman. Wolfie and Valerie are both lame as fuck.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I guess the social media thing must be tough for him but I would have way more sympathy if he was making all these mistakes at 21 years old not 31!

20. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-08-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Exactly. When I realized he was in his 30’s I was like holy shit. This guy is acting like a spoiled 15 year old kid who plays video games. By the time I was 31 I had gone through college, got married had kids and was a project manager with a lot of responsibility. I was 4% body fat and swam laps for 40 minutes every other day.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Also the idiot used social media as his psychiatrist. He laid on the couch in front of everyone and let it rip. It was quite embarrassing. His mom looks like she’s losing her marbles. No wonder Eddie got better when he found another woman. Wolfie and Valerie are both lame as fuck.
    I was sort of the mindset that living your life on social media was something people born in the early 1990s or later have just grown up doing, although as Sesh said all of his internet bitching would perhaps seem less lame if he were 10 years younger than he is...

But even with that said, it's always easy just to not rise to the bait of whatever negative comments people are making on Twitter or whatever platform, because who really gives a toss about negative things people say online anyway? You know, not letting trolls live rent-free in your head, or whatever.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly. When I realized he was in his 30’s I was like holy shit. This guy is acting like a spoiled 15 year old kid who plays video games. By the time I was 31 I had gone through college, got married had kids and was a project manager with a lot of responsibility. I was 4% body fat and swam laps for 40 minutes every other day.
    Sounds like me. Lol

But yes, Fatty didn't have to do any of that cause he's loaded. Oh and he still eats like a slob and plays video games.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Agreed.

I mean he gets to play stadiums with Metallica.

If his name wasn't VH they wouldn't go near him.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sounds like me. Lol

But yes, Fatty didn't have to do any of that cause he's loaded. Oh and he still eats like a slob and plays video games.
    Pretty much. It's one thing to love your children. It's another to enable them. There is no excuse to have overweight children who live under your roof. You are just shortening their lives and setting them up for a bad lifestyle. My parents didn't let me sit around and get fat.

26. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (12-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You can't enjoy your inheritance when you drop dead from a heart attack. Well doing some drumming gives him some exercise but you can't out drum the pizza and onion rings. Alex's son ran track in college and did pretty damn well at it. Al's kids aren't fat.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You can't enjoy your inheritance when you drop dead from a heart attack. Well doing some drumming gives him some exercise but you can't out drum the pizza and onion rings. Alex's son ran track in college and did pretty damn well at it. Al's kids aren't fat.
    I think its Aric VH you're referring to. I recall his social media profile said "Exercising with the Devil" which was funny.

I doubt he has anything in common with his fat cousin. Perhaps he can offer up some advice to Fatty.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

For as close as Ed and Al were, it doesn't seem the cousins are close at all. I'd be curious to know if they have any kind of relationship. Al's kids are probably wishing they'd have slapped together a shitty album and used their last name to get on big tours.

Wolfgang will NEVER headline an arena. His Dad was blowing away the headliner on his first tour and headlining arena's by his second tour. This guy is a charity case.

30. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-09-2022),Terry (12-10-2022),Vinnie Velvet (12-09-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wolf is a fat immature brat whose band has a lame logo. mmm. Yeah like I'mmmmmm loving it! Or mmm I'm going to eat something. Pure cheese chowder in a big fat bread bowl. Give me a break! The only person more lame than Wolfgang is Sammy Hagar.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sam and Wolf should get together and write a song and call it Extra Cheese. Maybe start a band full of fat fucks and call it Super Size.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think its Aric VH you're referring to. I recall his social media profile said "Exercising with the Devil" which was funny.

I doubt he has anything in common with his fat cousin. Perhaps he can offer up some advice to Fatty.
    Wolfgang cried online and said he had family members stealing from him. Well don't know what that is all about but the dude spills his fat guts all over Twitter. He really blasted his bowels in that shit hole.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Aric was in training for the Tokyo Olympics. I don't think he actually competed in the games, so maybe he didn't make it through the qualifications or whatever complications came from the games being delayed a year due to Covid. But it's probably safe to say his lifestyle is considerably different from what his dad & uncle were doing at that age, as well as cousin Wolfie.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    For as close as Ed and Al were, it doesn't seem the cousins are close at all. I'd be curious to know if they have any kind of relationship. Al's kids are probably wishing they'd have slapped together a shitty album and used their last name to get on big tours.

Wolfgang will NEVER headline an arena. His Dad was blowing away the headliner on his first tour and headlining arena's by his second tour. This guy is a charity case.
    Wolfgang really never had to work for anything. His first professional gig was the 2007 tour, and that was hardly a case of roughing it on the road paying dues. Doubtless the accommodations were first class all the way. It wasn't even like he had to go on tour and play Eddie's guitar parts, which actually would be an effort. I mean, I like what Mike Anthony brought to the band, but covering Van Halen's bass parts wasn't the most challenging thing in the world. And the background vocals were augmented by pre-recorded tracks, so even there Ed's kid didn't have to pull the full freight.

That lack of effort he has had to expend shows in the music he has made, which is lazy and frictionless.

The only effort he has had to expend concerns his social media comments. Even there, would anyone care about what he has to say online if he wasn't Eddie Van Halen's kid?

36. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-10-2022),Von Halen (12-10-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ha! My first real gig was a high school assembly. I had just gotten a 50 watt Marshall master volume head and a 4x12. We had moved everything into the auditorium and I cranked my amp as loud as it would go. I’m just blasting the hell out of the place and the choir director comes running in really pissed that he can hear me in his classroom. He was a stringy looking dude with the worst comb over you had ever seen. I really triggered him.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I’m a big believer in exploiting everything that is available to you. It never ceases to amaze me you have people who live on the most productive land and they live in poverty and don’t do shit with it. Then you have people who live on land that’s very short on resources but they thrive. It’s all about making the most out of what you got.

Thread Information