• Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Welp, "new":

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

YouTube comments are a bit mixed. We're approaching 40 years since CFTH and there are still a bunch of people shocked and appalled any time Dave doesn't do a heavy rock tune...

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

yeah, I heard that Scotch and Sofa thing and thought that this is just a thing Dave does.

But I am probably in a minority in preferring his demo version of Honeybabysweetydoll - which has a dance tune backing music and a low key speak-sing vocal - to the version recorded by VH on ADKOT. I don't care if Ed and Wolfgang were tapping in unison at the start and it achieves some measure of heaviosity in other parts. By the time they had done that, that is all it was - they obliterated the Dave song that it was bolted on to (I assume that is how it worked - Dave says ' here's a song I have' and they put some rehased VHIII music underneath / over it).
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Silexxx
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2010

Comment

• Silexxx
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I thought it was going to end with Dave making sausage out of the stalker in his basement. Well when you thought Dave couldn’t get more weird he raises the bar and clears it.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                yeah, I heard that Scotch and Sofa thing and thought that this is just a thing Dave does.

But I am probably in a minority in preferring his demo version of Honeybabysweetydoll - which has a dance tune backing music and a low key speak-sing vocal - to the version recorded by VH on ADKOT. I don't care if Ed and Wolfgang were tapping in unison at the start and it achieves some measure of heaviosity in other parts. By the time they had done that, that is all it was - they obliterated the Dave song that it was bolted on to (I assume that is how it worked - Dave says ' here's a song I have' and they put some rehased VHIII music underneath / over it).
                I'd never thought about it like that - you do have a point. I would counter though that a hell of a lot of the song Dave had was this

It's possible that Dave did it subconsciously and it's also possible that Ed and Wolf never knew about the Lords of Acid song but to my ear LOA win any copyright case. It's one thing sticking stuff like that on the BBQ video or even the Diamond Dave album but something with the high profile of a Van Halen reunion is a lot more likely to attract some legal pushback.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Silexxx
                  A few minutes in Roth says that Wolfgang is upset 40 years later about his assless chaps look.

Did he get just mistake Wolfgang for Mike Anthony?

Michael Anthony said he still has painful memories of David Lee Roth's butt stemming from band's 1984 tour.

If so that's a Trump/Biden style old man mistake to make...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Dave is getting old and the older he gets the weirder he gets.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      YouTube comments are a bit mixed. We're approaching 40 years since CFTH and there are still a bunch of people shocked and appalled any time Dave doesn't do a heavy rock tune...
                      Even on EEAS, he had I'm Easy and That's Life.

On Skyscraper, I'd say Stand Up overall was closer to synth pop than hard rock.

A few mellower, non-hard rock tunes on ALAE and YFLM had everything and the kitchen sink stylistically.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        Dave is getting old and the older he gets the weirder he gets.
                        He's been gettin' screwier and screwier over the last 20-25 years.

Was probably a bit of a screwball all along, but he had his carnival barker huckster schtick patter down a bit better in his CVH glory days and the earlier years of his solo career. Wasn't really until the Bar-B-Que vid (which I did enjoy) where I began to think Dave had several screws beginning to loosen. But the David Lee Roth rock persona was probably never something that was ever going to age well...ever since his career became erratic post-YFLM, it's been more eye rolls than applause from me...

It was a good thing that he got to take a few victory laps with Van Halen re: the last three tours. The stuff he has been putting up online over the last few years...the dude is just out to fuckin' lunch.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I had to go in for surgery. The Operating Room staff were a bunch of wild fuckers; Especially the anesthesiologist. I could see how Roth could fit right in.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Famous people have publicists and handlers to make sure they don’t say something that will kill their careers. Running wild on YouTube or social media is always a bad idea.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Famous people have publicists and handlers to make sure they don’t say something that will kill their careers. Running wild on YouTube or social media is always a bad idea.
                              I mean, without making a concerted effort to be snarky about it, it's probably along the lines of what I think you (Nitro) were saying fairly recently, in that at this stage of the game career-wise Roth has enough sense to realize that he probably isn't going to get a 4th wind/windfall of fame...once Eddie passed away, that was pretty much it in terms of a career-boost. I know there's vague consensus that if only Dave would get Vai, Sheehan and Bissonette back together it would be EEAS all over again, complete with sold out arenas. THAT isn't going to happen. Thus, Dave is just doing whatever he wants to because it doesn't make much difference anymore.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...